ESPN Pimping SEC

sushihorn

14 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Less than 1% chance huh?

Great bulletin board stuff for Longhorn players.  Not surprised by the prediction though.

Frankly, I was underwhelmed by the Horns spring game results.... still a lot of work ahead for the 2019 Longhorns to compete for B12 Championship.

All predictions guaranteed to be wrong, but my bold prediction is that Texas will yet again outperform Connelly's model (and FPI for that matter) for 2019. Will probably continue  to outperform those models until the Charlie Strong era of suckitude is no longer used as a data point. Although I like Connelly's work for the most part, relying too much on historical data as a starting point has limits, especially when there are a lot of factors (such as coaching staffs) that might not be comparable from say 2016 to today. 

Connolly's model is just fine for what it is... a limited model.

Anyone expecting it to work for every team has immediately missed the boat, because no model can accurately predict the myriad variables associated with possible ways to put together a winning program. And anyone expecting it to start being accurate regarding a particular team about which it has historically not been accurate is also missing the boat.

So, the upshot is... never take Billy Connolly out boating.

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

My objective was more to mock ESPN's raging stupidity.

My apologies for responding directly to what you posted, as opposed to intuiting your actual objective, which is entirely unrelated to your post. 

Yeah man, their shit is complete garbage. We all know it. Let them be shocked, it will be all the better when they flip flop and start sucking our dick, because we're Texas. In this instance the perceived losses to our roster, many of which are net positives (Hager, Wheeler, Locke) will work to our advantage if we come out beating the shit out of people. They'll talk about how great the culture and program and coaching are, etc. This is a win/win position for us, because when ESPN course corrects, they will course correct hard. 

1 hour ago, PencilPusher said:

All predictions guaranteed to be wrong, but my bold prediction is that Texas will yet again outperform Connelly's model (and FPI for that matter) for 2019. Will probably continue  to outperform those models until the Charlie Strong era of suckitude is no longer used as a data point. Although I like Connelly's work for the most part, relying too much on historical data as a starting point has limits, especially when there are a lot of factors (such as coaching staffs) that might not be comparable from say 2016 to today. 

I wonder how the Texas predictions would change if they factored in Herman's 2 seasons at UH compared to Strong's final 2 seasons at Texas, because neither make a fucking difference as to how 2019 is going to turn out for Texas.

Edited by HtownHorn

ESPN not even trying to hide their bias.....

•  
  • bowen_matt.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Matt Bowen.    ESPN Staff Writer

"Guide to SEC prospects in the 2019 NFL draft:  Players you should know"

I'll be on the SEC Network this week to help with its coverage of the 2019 NFL draft, my second year joining the crew to break down picks and NFL fits and take a deeper look at how the skill sets of the top prospects in the conference will transition to the next level.

I have done a lot of film preparation, watching every SEC prospect in this draft class. So let me share with you my favorite guys, from the top-tier pass-rushers all the way down to the underrated steals who could make an impact on Day 3. I'm sorting my favorite prospects -- more than 40 this year -- into categories, and you can skip to each section below.

Josh Allen and Quinnen Williams are in here. So is Devin White, Drew Lock, Greedy Williams and Deandre Baker. Let's take a deeper dive into the NFL talent from the country's best conference. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/26562218/guide-sec-prospects-2019-nfl-draft-players-know

Edited by LTtxfan

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

ESPN not even trying to hide their bias.....

•  
  • bowen_matt.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Matt Bowen.    ESPN Staff Writer

"Guide to SEC prospects in the 2019 NFL draft: Players you should know"

I'll be on the SEC Network this week to help with its coverage of the 2019 NFL draft, my second year joining the crew to break down picks and NFL fits and take a deeper look at how the skill sets of the top prospects in the conference will transition to the next level.

I have done a lot of film preparation, watching every SEC prospect in this draft class. So let me share with you my favorite guys, from the top-tier pass-rushers all the way down to the underrated steals who could make an impact on Day 3. I'm sorting my favorite prospects -- more than 40 this year -- into categories, and you can skip to each section below.

Josh Allen and Quinnen Williams are in here. So is Devin White, Drew Lock, Greedy Williams and Deandre Baker. Let's take a deeper dive into the NFL talent from the country's best conference. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/insider/story/_/id/26562218/guide-sec-prospects-2019-nfl-draft-players-know

That guy's face says he's about to take a big black cock. 

Last 4 years the B12 vs the SEC...

Overall 11-10

Bowl Games  6-6

Major Bowl Games 2-3

The only difference is Alabama has won 2 National Titles during that time and played for 4.  

These conference are about as even as it comes when talking about actual field of play but who cares about that i guess. 

Just documenting more ESPN sec fluff bullshit......... Title even mentions Nebraska problem (no draft picks) but omits that Vols have same problem.

The NFL draft through the college lens: SEC dominance, Nebraska's dubious distinction and more

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26629222/success-failures-college-conferences-teams-year-nfl-draft

Nebraska a no-show

Nebraska failed to have a player drafted for the first time in the common-draft era, according to research by ESPN Stats & Information. 

Other Power 5 schools without a selection include Tennessee, Purdue, Kansas, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Oregon Stateand Cal.

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Unpossible. I was told repeatedly in the Gary Johnson thread that no bias existed towards the secX3 with regards to the media and draft. Fake news. 

Your comments in the Gary Johnson implied an anti-UT conspiracy as much as a pro-SEC bias.

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Your comments in the Gary Johnson implied an anti-UT conspiracy as much as a pro-SEC bias.

Yes, because of a bias towards the secX3, UT players were directly affected in the draft. 

Now I won't go as so far as to say because of that bias, and that bias only, UT players were not drafted and I specifically stated conspiracy was hyperbolic. Plenty other programs outside that overhyped conference had players drafted too-- no complaints there. 

Just want to clarify that. 

14 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Yes, because of a bias towards the secX3, UT players were directly affected in the draft. 

Now I won't go as so far as to say because of that bias, and that bias only, UT players were not drafted and I specifically stated conspiracy was hyperbolic. Plenty other programs outside that overhyped conference had players drafted too-- no complaints there. 

Just want to clarify that. 

I'd argue it has as much to do with the media as it does from Mack and Charlie's wreckage. People who worked in NFL GM offices said for a long time that they avoided soft, underdeveloped Texas players, even during our hay days, but definitely towards the end of the Mack Brown era. NFL GM's aren't exactly known for revising their assumptions and long held opinions. If you doubt that statement, then I present to you spread offense concepts in the NFL. We can't sit here and mock NFL GM's for being stupid and ignoring the fact that, well, NFL GM's being stupid probably play a role in how Texas has turned out. It doesn't help that our ballyhoo'd players haven't tested well in recent years, either.

TLDR; NFL GM's are stupid and prone to their own biases regarding Texas players until we prove otherwise. Also, our better prospects haven't helped that narrative with poor testing. It's not just the media. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'd argue it has as much to do with the media as it does from Mack and Charlie's wreckage. People who worked in NFL GM offices said for a long time that they avoided soft, underdeveloped Texas players, even during our hay days, but definitely towards the end of the Mack Brown era. NFL GM's aren't exactly known for revising their assumptions and long held opinions. If you doubt that statement, then I present to you spread offense concepts in the NFL. We can't sit here and mock NFL GM's for being stupid and ignoring the fact that, well, NFL GM's being stupid probably play a role in how Texas has turned out. It doesn't help that our ballyhoo'd players haven't tested well in recent years, either.

TLDR; NFL GM's are stupid and prone to their own biases regarding Texas players until we prove otherwise. Also, our better prospects haven't helped that narrative with poor testing. It's not just the media. 

Oh absolutely. And the flip side to that and a big reason as to why we're hated is that, for the most part outside of a couple local shitty excuses for people (hi fcb!), UT is loved and has the national media desperate for us to be atop of the cfb field, back where we belong. This too is a bias. 

Maybe I just didn't argue my point effectively but the evidence is there. For fuck's sake, this post is in a thread about it. But for some reason the draft comes along and ceases the existence of human psychology for 3 days in April. There either is or isn't. It can't be both. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Perception always lags behind reality.  This is especially true where the people with the outdated perceptions are mentally lazy and have invested a major portion of their large egos in that view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

So whatever conference gets the most draft picks is the recipient of bias. And the number of draft picks is the evidence of said bias. Great take, mouth breather. 

Wow you are either going out of your way to disagree with me or you're the type that misses the forest for the trees. 

Either way you're out of your element, donny. 

Yet they didn't win the Title, their 2nd best team got curb stomped by a "crappy" Big 12 team, and they had a mediocre bowl record as a conference.

So what they do with all that talent?

Edited by Drew

• 7 months later...

ESPN Favoritism of SEC May be Getting Worse...

https://footballscoop.com/news/it-just-means-more-money/

It Just Means More (Money)

By Zach Barnett -
 December 16, 2019

The most valuable property in sports television is undoubtedly the NFL. You’d be hard pressed to find a TV executive who bought NFL rights and lived to regret it, no matter the price.  But the best value in the sports television landscape is, without question, the SEC on CBS. For the pennies-on-the-dollar price of $55 million a year, CBS owns the right to broadcast the biggest SEC game each week to a national audience. This arrangement, in place since 2001, has worked wonders for both parties — CBS turned the SEC into a national conference, while the SEC delivered tens of millions of viewers at a bargain basement price.

For example, in 2019 CBS has broadcast four of the seven college football games to top 9 million viewers — LSU-Alabama (16.6 million), the SEC Championship (13.7 million), the Iron Bowl (11.4 million), and Notre Dame-Georgia (9.3 million). CBS showed the most-watched game in six of the 15 regular-season Saturdays this fall, despite having a fraction of the inventory of its competitors and while, again, paying an even tinier fraction of the price.

As a comparison, consider that ESPN pays $80 million a year to broadcast the Rose Bowl alone. The Ohio State-Washington Rose Bowl in January drew a hair more viewers than LSU-Alabama in November — for 25 million extra dollars.

The SEC on CBS contract doesn’t expire until 2023, but the entire media industry is monitoring, speculating and gossiping about the SEC’s next move as if Nick Saban were deciding between open jobs at Alabama, Texas and Ohio State. Right now, both sides are currently posturing — while instructing their lawyers to parse every word, every period and every comma in the contract — about whether or not the contract requires the SEC to give CBS the right of first refusal on any offer one of their competitors might give the conference.

Assuming that clause doesn’t exist, and SEC commissioner Greg Sankey believes it doesn’t, then the conference can shop itself on the open market. And according to John Ourand of Sports Business Journal, the league will take in a windfall in 2020. In a column predicting major sports TV industry moves for the upcoming year, Ourand writes this:  Fox and NBC will express a lot of interest in CBS’s Saturday afternoon SEC package. CBS will fight to keep it, but ESPN will pick up the rights for ABC for around $300 million per year, a massive increase from the $55 million CBS currently plays. The SEC will ultimately decide it wants more scheduling flexibility by having one partner rather than dividing its rights across two.  At a $245 million increase, that would represent a $17.5 million raise per school per year on top of what the SEC already earns for its existing media rights (which are all owned by ESPN).

Taking Ourand at his speculative word, this would be a massive move for more reasons than one:

• For starters, would CBS take the 9-figure it presented to the SEC and offer it to another conference, or would essentially cede Saturday afternoons in the fall to ABC/ESPN and FOX? CBS has been in the college football business for decades, so surely the bean counters wouldn’t accept its Saturday afternoon traffic plummeting from six, eight, 10 million viewers a week to zero.
  • Speaking of FOX, the network has quickly carved itself a niche by marketing to Big Ten and Big 12 fans sick of a perceived pro-SEC bias on the Worldwide Leader. Expect that effort to increase tenfold should the SEC put all its eggs in the ESPN basket.
  • And about that (real or perceived) bias. The SEC has been treated like a spoiled only child for two decades straight now by CBS, and it’s not like CBS would ratchet any of that down when the SEC becomes a free agent. The SEC wouldn’t kiss that preferential treatment goodbye without assurances that ESPN would boost its ego in addition to its bank account. This is a conference that markets itself by saying it simply plays a bigger, better, more important brand of football than any of its peers.
  • So, the SEC wouldn’t send its most prized possession — the TV rights to LSU-Alabama, the Iron Bowl, the Florida-Georgia game, the SEC Championship, et all — to a new school just to be told to pick a seat like every other student. No, the SEC would want something bigger, something better. It would want assurances that the SEC on ABC would be more important than the Big Ten on ABC or the ACC on ABC. The league would want its games to feel more like ESPN’s presentation of Monday Night Football than, say, NC State at Clemson.
  • Even if that’s not true, if executives in Bristol and Birmingham swear up and down it’s not true, fans from the other conferences would feel like it’s true.  And if that all comes to pass, how would the other Power 5 conference react if ESPN starts to treat them like the Power 4 and the More Powerful 1?
Edited by LTtxfan

On 12/17/2019 at 6:10 AM, LTtxfan said:

ESPN Favoritism of SEC May be Getting Worse... https://footballscoop.com/news/it-just-means-more-money/ It Just Means More (Money)  By Zach Barnett 

The most valuable property in sports television is undoubtedly the NFL. You’d be hard pressed to find a TV executive who bought NFL rights and lived to regret it, no matter the price.  But the best value in the sports television landscape is, without question, the SEC on CBS. For the pennies-on-the-dollar price of $55 million a year, CBS owns the right to broadcast the biggest SEC game each week to a national audience. This arrangement, in place since 2001, has worked wonders for both parties — CBS turned the SEC into a national conference, while the SEC delivered tens of millions of viewers at a bargain basement price.

For example, in 2019 CBS has broadcast four of the seven college football games to top 9 million viewers — LSU-Alabama (16.6 million), the SEC Championship (13.7 million), the Iron Bowl (11.4 million), and Notre Dame-Georgia (9.3 million). CBS showed the most-watched game in six of the 15 regular-season Saturdays this fall, despite having a fraction of the inventory of its competitors and while, again, paying an even tinier fraction of the price.

As a comparison, consider that ESPN pays $80 million a year to broadcast the Rose Bowl alone. The Ohio State-Washington Rose Bowl in January drew a hair more viewers than LSU-Alabama in November — for 25 million extra dollars.

The SEC on CBS contract doesn’t expire until 2023, but the entire media industry is monitoring, speculating and gossiping about the SEC’s next move as if Nick Saban were deciding between open jobs at Alabama, Texas and Ohio State. Right now, both sides are currently posturing — while instructing their lawyers to parse every word, every period and every comma in the contract — about whether or not the contract requires the SEC to give CBS the right of first refusal on any offer one of their competitors might give the conference.

Assuming that clause doesn’t exist, and SEC commissioner Greg Sankey believes it doesn’t, then the conference can shop itself on the open market. And according to John Ourand of Sports Business Journal, the league will take in a windfall in 2020. In a column predicting major sports TV industry moves for the upcoming year, Ourand writes this:  Fox and NBC will express a lot of interest in CBS’s Saturday afternoon SEC package. CBS will fight to keep it, but ESPN will pick up the rights for ABC for around $300 million per year, a massive increase from the $55 million CBS currently plays. The SEC will ultimately decide it wants more scheduling flexibility by having one partner rather than dividing its rights across two.  At a $245 million increase, that would represent a $17.5 million raise per school per year on top of what the SEC already earns for its existing media rights (which are all owned by ESPN).

Taking Ourand at his speculative word, this would be a massive move for more reasons than one:

• For starters, would CBS take the 9-figure it presented to the SEC and offer it to another conference, or would essentially cede Saturday afternoons in the fall to ABC/ESPN and FOX? CBS has been in the college football business for decades, so surely the bean counters wouldn’t accept its Saturday afternoon traffic plummeting from six, eight, 10 million viewers a week to zero.
  • Speaking of FOX, the network has quickly carved itself a niche by marketing to Big Ten and Big 12 fans sick of a perceived pro-SEC bias on the Worldwide Leader. Expect that effort to increase tenfold should the SEC put all its eggs in the ESPN basket.
  • And about that (real or perceived) bias. The SEC has been treated like a spoiled only child for two decades straight now by CBS, and it’s not like CBS would ratchet any of that down when the SEC becomes a free agent. The SEC wouldn’t kiss that preferential treatment goodbye without assurances that ESPN would boost its ego in addition to its bank account. This is a conference that markets itself by saying it simply plays a bigger, better, more important brand of football than any of its peers.
  • So, the SEC wouldn’t send its most prized possession — the TV rights to LSU-Alabama, the Iron Bowl, the Florida-Georgia game, the SEC Championship, et all — to a new school just to be told to pick a seat like every other student. No, the SEC would want something bigger, something better. It would want assurances that the SEC on ABC would be more important than the Big Ten on ABC or the ACC on ABC. The league would want its games to feel more like ESPN’s presentation of Monday Night Football than, say, NC State at Clemson.
  • Even if that’s not true, if executives in Bristol and Birmingham swear up and down it’s not true, fans from the other conferences would feel like it’s true.  And if that all comes to pass, how would the other Power 5 conference react if ESPN starts to treat them like the Power 4 and the More Powerful 1?

https://www.si.com/college/2019/12/21/sec-leaving-cbs-after-2023

Since 1996, CBS has carried SEC football. But according to the Sports Business Journal's John Ourand and Michael Smith, CBS will walk away from the SEC after the 2023 season and "all indications" are the sport's most-watched TV package will move to ESPN/ABC.

According to Ourand and Smith, CBS dropped out of the negotiations after making a bid at around $300 million per season, a massive increase from the $55 million it currently pays annually.  CBS Sports executives have reportedly decided that it is more logical to invest the network's money into other sports properties. "We made a strong and responsible bid," CBS Sports PR said in a statement to the SBJ.  "While we‘ve had success with the SEC on CBS, we are instead choosing to aggressively focus on other important strategic priorities moving forward.”

According to the SBJ, ESPN/ABC are "in the final stages" of negotiations on a deal with the property, though Fox Sports executives are still reportedly planning on making an official bid next month.

Edited by LTtxfan

In case yah missed this...

HaHaHaHaHa.... 😂😂😂

ispPM0TK_bigger.jpgDan Wolken @DanWolken

Welcome to the start of SEC bowl season in a few hours. Just a reminder, you have two narrative options this year as always.
1) The bowl result proves how dominant the SEC is
2) The SEC team didn’t want to be there
1:39 PM · Dec 27, 2019·

Edited by LTtxfan

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

"ESPN Pimping SEC" --  Exhibit #1005 

(Thx for finding this @texifornia )

I think it's awesome because it sets up the inevitable agony of the roller coaster beautifully.

Are we certain these ESPN dipshits like Peter Burns aren't just BOMC lackeys trolling the ags?  'Cause it kinda seems like they are. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

"ESPN Pimping SEC" --  Exhibit #1005 

(Thx for finding this @texifornia )

At the beginning of the season, nearly everyone thought aggy would be 8-4 (except most aggy thought they would best Clemson & Ga).  No one was picking Barn to beat them with a freshman QB.

Edited by cochamps

20 minutes ago, cochamps said:

At the beginning of the season, nearly everyone thought aggy would be 8-4 (except most aggy thought they would best Clemson & Ga).  No one was picking Barn to beat them with a freshman QB.

You're being generous.  Many ags also believed they were destined to beat LSU, this year and forevermore, because of the Great Gifting of the 7OT win in Collie Station last year.