Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not charged, sentenced.  For the tl;dr crowd, five months for him, two for her is the government recommendation.  They have the old curmudgeon judge, so I suspect he'll take the reco or go even a little higher in keeping with what he's done with other $500k defendants.

Women in joint crimes with men always get less time.  

No one talks about it, but the biggest — by by orders of magnitude — difference in sentencing isn’t race.  It’s gender   

• Hook 'Em 2

Women in joint crimes with men always get less time.  

No one talks about it, but the biggest — by by orders of magnitude — difference in sentencing isn’t race.  It’s gender   

Well she needs to be at home taking care of the daughters. They probably need help with their college coursework

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What did the husband do differently to earn a 150% longer sentence?

He supposedly took a more active role in the scheme.  Most of the damning emails were between him and the fixer.

Edited by Matuka

5 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Do the brats get to remain enrolled? Law doggy doggs?

I think that's up to the institution rather than the criminal courts.  Credible reports said their enrollment status was under review.  Purportedly the younger one, who doesn't play school, would not return to USC, period.

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think they quit when the story broke

I believe this is correct.  Unclear yet whether they could return if they wanted to.  I imagine the sentencing memoranda, which would detail some of the conduct and the daughters' knowledge would impact USC's decision.

• 2 months later...

Actress Lori Loughlin reported to a federal prison in Northern California on Friday to start a two-month sentence for her role in a massive college admissions cheating scandal, according to officials at the prison and the federal prosecutor’s office.

The “Full House” star surrendered to authorities at the Federal Correctional Institution in Dublin, California, about 40 miles east of San Francisco. She was early; the judge who sentenced her ordered her to report to prison on November 19.

It is the same federal lockup where “Desperate Housewives” actress Felicity Huffman served her 11 days last October. Huffman was in general population and had to follow all the rules, including a 5 a.m. wakeup call, a uniform of khaki pants and a brown t-shirt, and five inmate roll calls per day. Loughlin will be expected to follow the same rules as set forth by the Bureau of Prisons.

There are currently no visitors allowed at the prison because of the coronavirus pandemic. As part of new intake precautions, Loughlin will be tested for Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, and placed in quarantine.

now-this-i-can-fap-to.png

8 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Reporting early in hopes to be out before Christmas?  If so, Judge should deny it. 

I can't imagine that they will "take" her if it's ahead of time.  And 60 days from today is going to give her an out date around new years, anyway.  You don't get "good time" if your sentence is under a year.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I can't imagine that they will "take" her if it's ahead of time.  And 60 days from today is going to give her an out date around new years, anyway.  You don't get "good time" if your sentence is under a year.

I'll give her good time... good long time.. at least 15 seconds.....  she's gotta be in that orange jump suit though.

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Maryland CEO got busted paying $1.5 mill to fencing coach to get his kid into Harvard. 

Go big or go home. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/16/us/college-admissions-scam-harvard/index.html

Private school, so not too many fucks given about that.  Still a sleazy thing to do.

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

Maryland CEO got busted paying $1.5 mill to fencing coach to get his kid into Harvard. 

Go big or go home. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/16/us/college-admissions-scam-harvard/index.html

It was actually for 2 kids so that's really only 750K each. Maybe he had a BOGO coupon or something 

• Hook 'Em 1

David, I just want to get it on record that I am totally against this.  I don't think that selling admission to an obviously unqualified student is very ethical or honorable.

Right, Phil, but I'd just like to say in all fairness to Mr. Melon here, it was a really big check.

YXIooJ9mbVlTcp1Em9v5CC7yqkV4RZYopnyVu92N

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

David, I just want to get it on record that I am totally against this.  I don't think that selling admission to an obviously unqualified student is very ethical or honorable.

Right, Phil, but I'd just like to say in all fairness to Mr. Melon here, it was a really big check.

YXIooJ9mbVlTcp1Em9v5CC7yqkV4RZYopnyVu92N

I love that scene.  The exchanges between Beatty and Dangerfield in that whole movie are so juvenile like the "Dean Martin" running gag and the "Monkey Business" joke, the writing really isn't that funny.  But watching the two of them cut up and laugh with such physicality...it's a really underrated 80's comedy.  Pos rep

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I love that scene.  The exchanges between Beatty and Dangerfield in that whole movie are so juvenile like the "Dean Martin" running gag and the "Monkey Business" joke, the writing really isn't that funny.  But watching the two of them cut up and laugh with such physicality...it's a really underrated 80's comedy.  Pos rep

Whats a hot tub without Bubbles?! Bubbles, get over here!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Didn't this use to be in the football section? Anyway, after reading the article I don't feel bad for Center. I do believe others in the UT admin knew exactly what was going on and should be punished equally. Interesting that the government's angle was colleges were being defrauded. LOL!

“I begged the guard to place a fan at the bottom of my cell so I could get some air,” Center says. “The guard told me he didn’t want another Jeffrey Epstein. I started to cry and thought about bashing my head against the wall. Then I got COVID.”

That's uh, quite a quote there.

14 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Didn't this use to be in the football section? Anyway, after reading the article I don't feel bad for Center. I do believe others in the UT admin knew exactly what was going on and should be punished equally. Interesting that the government's angle was colleges were being defrauded. LOL!

Yes, let’s just say Plonsky knew. Fire her ass! 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

So that's a really good article and quite stinging for the athletic department.

Even the story of the rich kid who got be a basketball manager is pretty fucked up even if a single dollar didn't change hands. The University is thought to be a place that helps bring equality to the state by providing opportunities to all students. It's just that some students seems to be more equal than others.

15 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Even the story of the rich kid who got be a basketball manager is pretty fucked up even if a single dollar didn't change hands. The University is thought to be a place that helps bring equality to the state by providing opportunities to all students. It's just that some students seems to be more equal than others.

didnt a basketball coach once talk about always having a rich kid on the roster, so he could take out the team and such ?

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

this goes both ways. if UT and colleges in general were purely merit based on their acceptance criteria, i'd argue that a good majority of lower income and minority students would not be at UT. how many well qualified students from the more prestigious high schools did NOT get in because UT took "lesser" qualified kids in the name of equality and diversity? i understand UT is a state school and they want their student population to try to be representative the state racial population make up but this is at the expense of "better" qualified kids. and if we're being completely honest, if it were truly merit based, the vast majority of the student populations at all top colleges and universities would be asian. but most schoools have an unwritten asian quota.

i'm not upset at all if a few of rich kids used their wealth and network to skirt rules to get into better schools. they are getting fucked by the minorities but both in turn are fucking over the asians, who are not considered minorities in higher education. there are always winners and losers in this game. i'm for schools sacrificing a few better qualified kids to help bring equality and opportunity to disadvantaged kids. those better qualified kids who didn't get into UT most likely will still turn out fine regardless of where they went to school. life has a knack for keeping middle class middle class and poor poor. the UT opportunity may mean much more to the disadvantaged kids.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but it sounds like you're cool with a rich California kid whose dad is a Silicon Valley guy getting a sweetheart deal to be the basketball manager because UT lets in disadvantaged kids too?