Jump to content

Fire David Pierce


Recommended Posts

go get hitters and make them fielders.  you can focus on fielding over hitting on SS/C.  CF is mainly speed related.  2B is easier than SS(find a hitter).  Ford may be on his way to solving one of the 4.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I added wrong earlier- he had 31 xbh...so twice our leaders. 

Texas and SHSU had a bunch of common opponents, including each other...so I checked that theory. Here are his stats vs common opponents

VS Texas-  2-4, all 3 of their RBI

VS Baylor 4-8

VS TCU 2-2 (game got fogged out with SHSU up 10-2 in the 2nd so may not be included in official stats)

VS Rice 2-6

VS UIW- 4-12

VS ULL 7-12

VS Lamar 4-10

VS CC Aggy 7-14

VS Aggy 1-4

Here are his stats against some other P5 programs;

VS Arizona 2-7

VS Miss St 2-4

VS Nebraska 1-3

total- 38- 86  .442

his overall average was .368 so he hit far better against our common opponents/ other P5 of note than he did against the rest of their schedule    

 

 

Good work. No excuse for our coaching staff...

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I added wrong earlier- he had 31 xbh...so twice our leaders. 

Texas and SHSU had a bunch of common opponents, including each other...so I checked that theory. Here are his stats vs common opponents

VS Texas-  2-4, all 3 of their RBI

VS Baylor 4-8

VS TCU 2-2 (game got fogged out with SHSU up 10-2 in the 2nd so may not be included in official stats)

VS Rice 2-6

VS UIW- 4-12

VS ULL 7-12

VS Lamar 4-10

VS CC Aggy 7-14

VS Aggy 1-4

Here are his stats against some other P5 programs;

VS Arizona 2-7

VS Miss St 2-4

VS Nebraska 1-3

total- 38- 86  .442

his overall average was .368 so he hit far better against our common opponents/ other P5 of note than he did against the rest of their schedule    

 

 

Did he play with Dru Baker on the Barracudas?  Take a look at what Baker has done at Tech as a freshman.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think, but can't prove it (obviously), that baseball talent-spotting is pretty hard.  It seems like there is a substantial chance that the game (pitches) won't slow down for a fair number of players whose every other indication is that they can play at the D1 level.  Of course Schlossnagle, Tadlock and some others have been far better at it than the various people we've had doing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 7:54 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

We didn't offer this guy...slugged. 617 and had 28 xbh and 54 rbi this season 

With due respect,   apparently he was not offered by another P5 program,  offered higher scholarship percentage at Sam,  or other reasons.

But coaching matters.   From Head Coach Matt Deggs profile, SHSU.    SHSU is hitting .304 this year.

 

Sam Houston captured the Southland Conference's automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament, running off four-straight victories at the league tournament at Sugar Land's Constellation Field. The team hit .356 (48 of 135) at the event, averaging 9.25 runs per game while the pitching staff posted a 1.32 ERA, limiting opponents to a .167 average

Sam Houston finished the 2017 season as the Southland Conference leader in 12 different team categories including finishing third in the country in triples (28), fourth in sac bunts (70), 10th in hits (676), 10th in stolen bases (102) and 20th in runs (443).

Prior to Sam Houston, the Texas City native served as the Louisiana-Lafayette hitting coach and third base coach, while also overseeing team personnel and recruiting. The Cajuns were a game away from the College World Series in 2014, while the squad posted the most wins in both Sun Belt and program history, finishing the season with 58 victories.

For the second straight season Deggs guided an offense that was revered as the best in college baseball. Louisiana-Lafayette finished the season ranked in the top 10 in the nation in 14 offensive categories and had an OPS of .902.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=209533004

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/highschool/article/Houston-top-high-school-baseball-recruits-draft-12965962.php#photo-15666613

The second link lists the top Houston area players in 2018.      We get our share - it is about development.

Carr, Lembcke, Roberts were cut.   Holland went pro.   Someone posted Carr led the state in home runs his senior year.    With 11.7 scholarships,  it is a numbers game.   Pierce elected to carry 17 pitchers this year - relatively high number.

>

Edit:  To Pierce's credit,  he was in the office at 10AM Sunday.    Passed by and saw his sponsored vehicle (Tahoe) or perhaps he left it overnight. 

 

Edited by torre
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

why would any big hitters want to go and spend 2-4 years hitting in what amounts to the astrodome as far as being hitter friendly.  If you're a power hitter or a guy who drives that ball you're not going to want to go play at the Disch at 345 down the lines.  That simply isn't a good business decision.  all these guys think they're going to play pro ball.  they don't want to not be able to put up ample power numbers compared to their peers.  From that perspective DF field is a net negative.  Quite the opposite for pitchers.  we all hated the "small ball" that relies on pitching and defense, but that is the way our park is set up.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

  we all hated the "small ball" that relies on pitching and defense, but that is the way our park is set up.  

Now, our new strategy is to deemphasize strong pitching and fielding in favor of bad hitting.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Disch-Falk is not nearly the cavernous monstrosity that Texas fans like to think it is. The problem is much more the hitters than the park.

We hit 18 home runs in 32 home games. We hit 9 home runs in 22 road games. It's a bit of a pitchers park but not nearly as much as people believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

why would any big hitters want to go and spend 2-4 years hitting in what amounts to the astrodome as far as being hitter friendly.  If you're a power hitter or a guy who drives that ball you're not going to want to go play at the Disch at 345 down the lines.  That simply isn't a good business decision.  all these guys think they're going to play pro ball.  they don't want to not be able to put up ample power numbers compared to their peers.  From that perspective DF field is a net negative.  Quite the opposite for pitchers.  we all hated the "small ball" that relies on pitching and defense, but that is the way our park is set up.  

Don't know if you are being facetious,  but I'll play.  Pierce had the fences moved in prior to the '17 season.    Now equal or among the shortest power alleys in college baseball.   

DFF was originally designed by Gus with the same dimensions as Omaha.  

 

While the left- and right-field lines remain at 340 feet and 325 feet, respectively, Pierce shortened the power alleys to promote more power. The left-center field alley has gone from 384 feet to 370 while the right-center field has gone from 384 feet to 365. The 20-foot monster wall in center field remains 400 feet away. Pierce added a unique feature, a short fence down the left field line that’s about five feet tall, similar to the one we see in right field at Boston’s Fenway Park.

(Not sure,  but I thought the power alleys were originally 375 as indicated by the 2010 photo)     https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/ufcu-disch-falk-field-austin?select=sGH1KHpKyNgoeGOAor_OIg

https://www.hookem.com/columns/golden-pierce-hopes-new-look-disch-falk-field-home-run-texas-baseball/

Edited by torre
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, torre said:

Don't know if you are being facetious,  but I'll play.    Pierce had the fences moved in prior to the '17 season.    Now equal or among the shortest power alleys in college baseball.   

DFF was originally designed by Gus with the same dimensions as Omaha.  

 

While the left- and right-field lines remain at 340 feet and 325 feet, respectively, Pierce shortened the power alleys to promote more power. The left-center field alley has gone from 384 feet to 370 while the right-center field has gone from 384 feet to 365. The 20-foot monster wall in center field remains 400 feet away. Pierce added a unique feature, a short fence down the left field line that’s about five feet tall, similar to the one we see in right field at Boston’s Fenway Park.

(Not sure,  but I thought the power alleys were originally 375 as indicated by the 2010 photo)     https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/ufcu-disch-falk-field-austin?select=sGH1KHpKyNgoeGOAor_OIg

https://www.hookem.com/columns/golden-pierce-hopes-new-look-disch-falk-field-home-run-texas-baseball/

The *big thing* with Gus was the turf was basically concrete with a thin carpet on it.  So it would be a pinball machine for ground balls.  Also not knowing how to play the seam helped quite a few games go our way.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

Horrible Weekend -- lost all 3 games and only scored 4 runs total damn it !!!

Couldn't hit worth shit.  Horns hitters struck out 18 times vs Miss St, and 15 times vs Arky.

Warming up:   Fire Pierce !!!

giphy.gif

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So if this contract hasn't been restructured, real easy to fire David Pierce after 2021 season if things don't improve...

Six year contract, and 2021 is the 5th year...

Quote

Texas baseball coach Pierce receives 6-year, $4.75 million contract

July 1st, 2016. Kirk Bohls American-Statesman Staff

Texas will pay new head baseball coach David Pierce a minimum annual base salary of about $792,000 for the next six years, not including incentives, pending approval by the full Board of Regents in their next meeting, the American-Statesman was told Friday night.

Pierce, who was hired on Wednesday after a 31-day search, will be paid more than $200,000 less than his predecessor Augie Garrido, who was due to make more than $1 million next year.  Texas athletic director Mike Perrin consulted with the chairman of the Board of Regents and UT System officials.

Pierce also announced that his top two Tulane assistants, Sean Allen and Philip Miller, will join him in Austin and start immediately.

‚ÄĒ Kirk Bohls

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I agree. It’d just be difficult to fire the guy if we finish the year like that. My expectations are win the conference and host. Every year. We’re still a little young but yeah there’s no excuse for striking out a billion times last weekend. Hopefully we were just hungover all weekend 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

 

On 2/23/2021 at 11:22 AM, Fletch said:

Oh I agree. It’d just be difficult to fire the guy if we finish the year like that.  

What if we're swept by ACU?

Edited by clapclapclap
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's a bit early to have the conversation in earnest, but Pierce has one year left on his deal. I'm not sure just making a regional (or even hosting) should cut it, but I have no idea what CDC is thinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 11:22 AM, Fletch said:

Oh I agree. It’d just be difficult to fire the guy if we finish the year like that. My expectations are win the conference...

Shaka would like a word...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Shaka would like a word...

No like actually win the conference. Regular season title. If we need to win the conference tournament to be a 3 seed in the Oxford regional then yeah, obviously Pierce is gone 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Fletch said:

No like actually win the conference. Regular season title. If we need to win the conference tournament to be a 3 seed in the Oxford regional then yeah, obviously Pierce is gone 

Fletch, send them out west to Palo Alto/Fullerton/San Diego so I can at least catch some baseball this year in person.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Machinator said:

I think it's a bit early to have the conversation in earnest, but Pierce has one year left on his deal. I'm not sure just making a regional (or even hosting) should cut it, but I have no idea what CDC is thinking.

I know he's hoping he doesn't have to go through another coaching search

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...