Ford v. Ferrari

4 hours ago, Duval Street said:

"Shelby American" just dropped on Netflix, almost 2 hrs running time, same guys that did the 24 Hour War.  Well done documentary covering Shelby's entire life with appearances by two of his sons and one grandson, plus Gurney, Bondurant, Brock, Ford, Piero and plenty of others.  Peter Miles is featured briefly a few times, including describing his dad's accident (I was really hoping the movie embellished and that he wasn't actually present at Riverside).

Includes plenty of the GT40 story and footage.  New to me was his involvement with Toyota after his Ford days.  Also, great discussion on the number of wives Carroll had, apparently even Shelby himself wasn't quite sure.

This used a lot of footage, race and interview, from another doc on the ford war with Ferrari that I also watched on Netflix recently, during the fairly large portions in which there was story overlap. 

about to take the boys to the theater. In my ford. With a V8. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

I wish my father had lived long enough to see this movie. He was from Germany and was a gearhead and the best mechanic I will ever meet, by far. He was so dang good at what he did. He lost his sight due to a doctor's screw up and still fixed cars after that. 

He worked for the Bay Long dealership in the 70's and when he quit they were so mad that they did not give him his last check. True story. He did not like Ford vehicles, but would have loved this film.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Saw it last night and liked it.  I thought the human story lines stood up to the racing parts, which were terrific. 

One thing bothered me a little.  I think Bale is a great actor (and he's terrific in FvF), but I thought his mannerisms in playing Ken Miles were a little too reminiscent of the way he played Dickie Eklund in The Fighter.  But that quibble aside, he dominates just about every scene he's in, IMO.     

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 1:46 AM, Carl Spackler said:

Saw it last night and liked it.  I thought the human story lines stood up to the racing parts, which were terrific. 

One thing bothered me a little.  I think Bale is a great actor (and he's terrific in FvF), but I thought his mannerisms in playing Ken Miles were a little too reminiscent of the way he played Dickie Eklund in The Fighter.  But that quibble aside, he dominates just about every scene he's in, IMO.     

This.   I saw it a couple of weeks ago.    

I actually thought Matt Damon played the role of the confident  and take no bullshit Texan real well.    Might have been one of his better performances???

I will say the movie kind of kicked started my interest in Formula One/ GP racing which is cool cause I need a diversion from football and college basketball.  

This.   I saw it a couple of weeks ago.    
I actually thought Matt Damon played the role of the confident  and take no bullshit Texan real well.    Might have been one of his better performances???
I will say the movie kind of kicked started my interest in Formula One/ GP racing which is cool cause I need a diversion from football and college basketball.  

Nice! Now go watch Drive to Survive on Netflix.

• 6 months later...
On 11/16/2019 at 9:16 AM, kingkoopa6 said:

Liked it. Wife is smoking hot. 

You can see her nekkid, a lot, in scenes from Outlander. 

Just saw this on HBO. Enjoyed it, even not knowing the entire history, you can tell there is some embellishment in there for added drama. Not that there was not that much drama but I expect it was more technical stuff, rather than human interest stuff.

• 3 months later...

I think racing movies are going to have to emphasize the drivers and personalities so as not to bore and alienate non-gearheads.

They kind of dumb down the engineering aspect, too, for the same reason.

That's fine, because the people are as fascinating as any other aspect.  I enjoyed Rush quite a lot.

Still, as an engineer, I am fascinated by the ability they had to "dead reckon" the fine tuning of a race car without the benefit of extensive digital computing.  The taping of yarn to the GT40 to figure out the loss of downforce and the capturing of air underneath the front end was an awesome little scene.  Because that's how it was done.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think racing movies are going to have to emphasize the drivers and personalities so as not to bore and alienate non-gearheads.

They kind of dumb down the engineering aspect, too, for the same reason.

That's fine, because the people are as fascinating as any other aspect.  I enjoyed Rush quite a lot.

Still, as an engineer, I am fascinated by the ability they had to "dead reckon" the fine tuning of a race car without the benefit of extensive digital computing.  The taping of yarn to the GT40 to figure out the loss of downforce and the capturing of air underneath the front end was an awesome little scene.  Because that's how it was done.

F1's fixed aero rules above the floor basically didn't change from 1950 until 2009.  you can see when computers go from aiding aero design in the mid 90s to taking it over 2004/5  culminating in the ridiculous aero appendages stuck all over the place in the 2007/8 seasons.

Edited by elfenix

• 1 year later...

I love this movie. And the engineering thru trial and error of building the GT and simply trying to get the thing to stick to the track.

This was all before I knew much about auto racing. Remember there was very little non TV other than an occasional race on Wide World of Sports. Most races were blacked out. So a lot of this is very new.

On 10/1/2022 at 10:49 AM, Texzilla58 said:

Remember there was very little non TV other than an occasional race on Wide World of Sports. Most races were blacked out. So a lot of this is very new.

I learned watching WWoS and my first slot car track was Ford GT w/Gulf livery v Ferrari, so this hit close to home. Also owned a Shelby for a brief shining moment.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

For any gearheads, here’s Chris Harris in a 60s era Le Mans winning Ferrari from a driving perspective.  It’s not the same car Ford beat (250LM vs a 330?) but same family. If you don’t want to watch all the misty Goodwood stuff, fast forward to about 6:10. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I learned watching WWoS and my first slot car track was Ford GT w/Gulf livery v Ferrari, so this hit close to home. Also owned a Shelby for a brief shining moment.

I was introduced to real slot cars in 2nd grade (the kind with huge 100 ft tracks racing 1/24 sized cars) and my first car was a Cobra GT in the blue and white. Just thought it looked cool; I had never seen one. That was in 67. I later had the Ford GT in Gulf livery. Then those track shops all closed and they were useless.

When LeMans came out with McQueen I think I saw in the theater 10 times. I was fascinated. Got a sub to Road & Track and that’s where I learned most about racing.
  • Like 1

I was introduced to real slot cars in 2nd grade (the kind with huge 100 ft tracks racing 1/24 sized cars) and my first car was a Cobra GT in the blue and white. Just thought it looked cool; I had never seen one. That was in 67. I later had the Ford GT in Gulf livery. Then those track shops all closed and they were useless.

When LeMans came out with McQueen I think I saw in the theater 10 times. I was fascinated. Got a sub to Road & Track and that’s where I learned most about racing.

It’s so funny how liveries were/are so great.

Like the Ford GT, I just think Gulf.
A Toyota Rally & GT series I think Castrol livery.
When I think old school F1 I think Marlboro and that black John Player livery.
The other one that stood out but I can’t place it other than Lancias is that Martini livery.
And when I think of old school American muscle racing I think of the STP livery
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 9:43 PM, Speedtrucker said:

It’s so funny how liveries were/are so great.

Like the Ford GT, I just think Gulf.
A Toyota Rally & GT series I think Castrol livery.
When I think old school F1 I think Marlboro and that black John Player livery.
The other one that stood out but I can’t place it other than Lancias is that Martini livery.
And when I think of old school American muscle racing I think of the STP livery

The 917 wore the Martini livery in both white and silver, looked pretty damn good in the Gulf colors too.

Group C had some classic liveries: 962 in Lowenbrau (won San Antonio in ‘87), Blaupunkt (won SA in ‘88) and Rothmanns.  The Castrol Jags and the r/w/b Nissan GTP were gorgeous designs as well.