The Supremes

tx 3 putt

On 3/30/2024 at 8:19 AM, HenryJames said:

Cool how you can just go to some lying asshole in Amarillo if you want a nationwide injunction.

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/texas-federal-judge-blocks-updated-fair-lending-rules-2024-03-30/

On 3/18/2024 at 6:57 PM, Chuckie Finster said:

Our judicial system is a farce and I feel bad for all of you on here who have wasted a career defending it.

rinse, repeat

On 3/30/2024 at 8:19 AM, HenryJames said:

Cool how you can just go to some lying asshole in Amarillo if you want a nationwide injunction.

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/texas-federal-judge-blocks-updated-fair-lending-rules-2024-03-30/

after cannon gets the next supreme court slot, Kacsmaryk has to be high on the SC replacement list 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I don't want to be hyperbolic, but Clarence Thomas dying might be enough to make me a religious man.

I mean, maybe if it's by lightning bolt and it also takes out Alito at the same time ...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

The case he's missing orals for is Snyder v. United States which is about whether section 18 U.S.C. § 666(a)(1)(B) criminalizes gratuities, i.e., payments in recognition of actions a state or local official has already taken or committed to take, without any quid pro quo agreement to take those actions

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that clarence is missing today.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The case he's missing orals for is Snyder v. United States which is about whether section 18 U.S.C. § 666(a)(1)(B) criminalizes gratuities, i.e., payments in recognition of actions a state or local official has already taken or committed to take, without any quid pro quo agreement to take those actions

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that clarence is missing today.

scratchcellphonereception/ "I'm calling to recus . . . I mean I'm calling in sick today." scratchcellphonereception/

Edited by Bullneck

But I'm sure they are all on the up and up.

From Pod Save America, those liberal bastards.

Justice Clarence Thomas returned from an unexplained absence on Monday to wreak the specific kind of conservative havoc for which he is known, implying that January 6 protesters are being unfairly singled-out. He asked, “There have been many violent protests that have interfered with proceedings…Has the government applied this provision to other protests?” It should be noted that Thomas once went a full decade without asking a single question from the bench, so it’s, uh, interesting that he’s choosing this case that could possibly benefit his buddy disgraced former president Donald Trump to be so active and inquisitive. Thomas’s wife Ginny was herself a participant in behind-the-scenes Trump administration efforts to overturn the 2020 election results. Call me crazy but that seems relevant!

Justice Sonia Sotomayor replied to Thomas’s “question” by saying “We’ve never had a situation before…like this with people attempting to stop a proceeding violently.” The law in question is a provision of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, which contains a broad catchall provision that makes it a crime to corruptly obstruct, influence, or impede any official proceeding. Sounds tailor-made for January 6, right? Not according to the Court’s conservative justices. Chief Justice John Roberts said the catchall provision must be read in context. Because the original law had to do with altering evidence, and none of the January 6 defendants are accused of that, he said the provision does not apply. Why a “catchall provision” would be interpreted so narrowly and tethered to the previous clause had some of the liberal justices scratching their heads. Justice Neil Gorsuch—always one to ask questions/big wind-bag—asked: “Would a sit-in that disrupts a trial or access to a federal courthouse qualify? Would a heckler in today’s audience qualify, or at the State of the Union address? Would pulling a fire alarm before a vote qualify for 20 years in federal prison?”

If the defendant in this case, Joseph Fischer, prevails, the decision could have major consequences. 

As Melissa Murray put it on Monday’s episode of Strict Scrutiny, the case has wide-ranging implications “not only for Fischer and other rank and file January 6th rioters who have been charged under the statute, but…for the federal case against Donald Trump. Because if Defendant Fischer prevails here, Defendant Trump will see two of the four counts against him in the federal January 6th indictment evaporate.” 

But the effect of a ruling rejecting the use of the catchall provision remains hard to predict. Most January 6 defendants have not been charged for the offense in question, and those who have, face other charges as well. In Joseph Fischer’s case, he faces six other charges apart from obstruction. Justice Department Special Counsel Jack Smith brought the obstruction charge against Donald Trump, but he has said that Trump’s conduct could be considered a crime even under a narrow reading of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. 

The decision is expected in June.

• Rage+1 3

13 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

It should be noted that Thomas once went a full decade without asking a single question from the bench, so it’s, uh, interesting that he’s choosing this case that could possibly benefit his buddy disgraced former president Donald Trump to be so active and inquisitive.

this ended basically the day scalia died.

• 2 weeks later...

While Trump is on trial in New York, oral argument on his immunity claim is being heard at SCOTUS. 

And the conservative justices are ensuring more delay tactics so that nothing is decided before November. 

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Rage+1 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Seen some hand-wringing that the Justices appear to be leaning in favor of some of the immunity claims.  Can anyone smarter than me confirm?

(Obvious caveat that what is said during oral arguments doesn't necessarily hold up when it comes to voting)

Edited by Chuckie Finster

15 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

While Trump is on trial in New York, oral argument on his immunity claim is being heard at SCOTUS. 

And the conservative justices are ensuring more delay tactics so that nothing is decided before November. 

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Seen some hand-wringing that the Justices appear to be leaning in favor of some of the immunity claims.  Can anyone smarter than me confirm?

(Obvious caveat that what is said during oral arguments doesn't necessarily hold up when it comes to voting)

Further proceedings are required either way, unless he's granted full immunity for everything, which even his attorney agrees doesn't exist. It sounds to me like everyone in the room agrees that official acts (talking with AG's, Congress, etc., on processes and procedures) are immune, but private acts (asking that those officials overturn the election results or "find more votes") are private acts of a candidate that happens to hold the office at the time. If anything, this appeal sounds like it was the delay tactic, because Trumps attorney sounds like he's admitting that absolute immunity doesn't exist, so I'm not clear what the court is being asked to decide. The fact determination of what acts were official and which were private was always going to be the job of the trial court. I don't have time to look back and remind myself what the DC Circuit held, but none of those clips gives me any pause, if anything, it's confirming that his "absolute immunity" rants on truth isn't something his lawyers are even claiming exists. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Can we ff to the point where scotus rules Biden can shoot Trump in the face and get it over with?

IDK if the matrix will allow this level of irony. I mean, it’s so ridiculous that millions of people will instantly detach from their power cords and our AI overlords will be in for quite the energy crunch.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

IDK if the matrix will allow this level of irony. I mean, it’s so ridiculous that millions of people will instantly detach from their power cords and our AI overlords will be in for quite the energy crunch.

it's EXACTLY what they are arguing. I can't wait!

• Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2
  • Prepare your anus 2

39 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I personally don't think that a President who tried to overturn an election he lost in order to keep himself in power should be immune from prosecution for doing that. JMHO

The supreme court:

source.gif

"This is a very complicated case, Maude America. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my  our heads, man. Lotta strands in old Duder's SCOTUS' head. Luckily I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug Fox News regimen to keep my mind, you know, limber.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 2

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

it's EXACTLY what they are arguing. I can't wait!

What about a corrupt SCOTUS member and his wife, especially if they could be determined a threat to the US?  Or something similar to the open window policy granted to Putin.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

What about a corrupt SCOTUS member and his wife?  What if they could be determined a threat to the US?  Or something similar to the open window policy granted to Putin.  

Seems like more of a "presidential act" than all the shit Trump did.