Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

I sure wouldn't mind pulling in millions and getting fired only to move to the next gig paying roughly the same.  It's why Dana H's move from WVU to UH was smart -- he knew he was going to have personnel issues if he stayed and so he made a calculated gamble that he'd be able to extend his career longer, even if at somewhat lower pay, by moving out of the Power 5.

On 2/1/2020 at 1:19 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

After Shaka gets fired it will be interesting to see if any DI program reaches out for him to be a head coach. I honestly don't think any will. I think there's enough evidence on him that he's best suited as an assistant coach.

He would make a good defensive coordinator

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I sure wouldn't mind pulling in millions and getting fired only to move to the next gig paying roughly the same.  It's why Dana H's move from WVU to UH was smart -- he knew he was going to have personnel issues if he stayed and so he made a calculated gamble that he'd be able to extend his career longer, even if at somewhat lower pay, by moving out of the Power 5.

Holgo didn’t even take a pay cut. He Made the same at UH as he would have at WVU in 2019 plus 4 more years guaranteed after that. 

On 1/29/2020 at 10:02 PM, Gucci_Suit said:

Meanwhile Baylor is a national elite athletic dept. Fucking Baylor. In Waco. Next to the Dr Pepper museum. Health camp. Magnolia. That shit. 

Thought that is what Texas hired CDC to do.  Meanwhile the shit show Shakablah continues........

2 hours ago, SunUvAbitchMarcos said:

Looks out recruiting has gone to shit. Looking at the ESPN 2020 top 100 we are a no show
Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As of right now there is only one available scholarship for Texas in 2020, and they're holding that for Greg Brown. If somebody transfers, more spots open up.

Very casual basketball fan here with a question raised by the above statement....

Does that make right now the best possible time to fire the coach, considering the new guy won’t get caught being behind in a “transition class?”

Or am I just looking at basketball through a football prism and misunderstanding how it works?

25 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Very casual basketball fan here with a question raised by the above statement....

Does that make right now the best possible time to fire the coach, considering the new guy won’t get caught being behind in a “transition class?”

Or am I just looking at basketball through a football prism and misunderstanding how it works?

It doesn't hurt but really recruiting shouldn't be considered when firing a guy.  Shaka deserves to be fired even if he had the number 1 class.  In basketball a roster can be turned over in 1 year though.  Beard at Tech has done that the last couple of years.

35 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

As of right now there is only one available scholarship for Texas in 2020, and they're holding that for Greg Brown. If somebody transfers, more spots open up.

full disclosure for those who don't know- GB III ain't coming here. and if he is, that means Shaka is still our coach next year. fuck. that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Depends on how the new coach handles it, whoever replaces Shaka may be dealing with a somewhat similar situation as he did when he came in. There was very little turnover due to how many players were upperclassmen, but it also meant his first "real" class was going to have to be huge. Shaka lost 7 players after his first season to graduation & Zay going pro and the recruiting decisions made - only retaining Barnes' commits and adding Tevin Mack plus losing out on De'Aaron Fox in the next class - were a major reason why he's been behind the eight ball most of his tenure. If Shaka is let go at the end of the year, whoever his replacement is will have to make some pretty significant decisions very early on if they want to avoid a repeat of Shaka's 2nd season where he won 11 games. It's possible to mitigate some of this by mining the grad transfer market, as an example, but whoever takes over will have to get creative to avoid a potentially big drop-off in the second season. Beard has been good at hitting the transfer market - Owens & Mooney, specifically - but having Culver stick around another year and having Moretti in his second year on the squad helped just as much. Whoever would take over for Shaka may not have a Culver sitting on his roster in the '21-'22 season. Donovan Williams might be that guy if he doesn't transfer when Shaka leaves, but I'm not assuming any current freshman/sophomore is sticking around until the dust settles.

1 minute ago, orangecat92 said:

Ahead of KU at halftime.  How do u fire this guy?  Say he finishes 3 and 7 for last 10 and plays in the tournament.  He’s looking like he is staying, even with a 15 point loss tonight.  He led KU at halftime.  Wow.

We've led KU at the half twice this year. That equals a win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

So, let’s say he goes 4-5 to close it out. 18-13 on the year and no big wins or strength of schedule. Does Texas get the invite?

That depends on how much the committee members enjoy seeing Texas get bounced in the first round. So I would say very likely.

I'd still start Febres, but have a quick hook if he isnt hot. I've been saying all season that he's a 15 to 20 minute a game player unless he's feeling it. The area where Shaka really missed an opportunity was working in Donovan Williams into the lineup earlier in the season. He just needs game reps to blossom. Too bad he couldn't get more reps during out shitty ass non-conference schedule rather than getting his first real look at extended, crunch time minutes during the middle of conference play. 

• Like 1

I commented early this season that Donovan Williams was an electric athlete who needed more time on the court, but last night he was bricking 3-pointers as bad as the rest of them.  I simply don't understand why Shaka can't ever put the brakes on long-distance shooting when it's not happening.  (It wasn't happening for either team @ 17%, but we took twice as many 3's as KU.  I'm sure Bill Self appreciated it.)

It has just been a frustrating season. You see the inexplicable highs and lows/ups and down in the same game. Take Kansas last night. We played some excellent basketball. Then...the second half comes around and within no time, Kansas has a lead they never relinquish. These are not pro players. Granted, to a certain extent,  they need to motivate themselves. However, we are talking about 18-20 year old guys...generally not your poster board for maturity. Not a negative on anyone, it is just how it generally, typically, normally is. Smart simply does not seem to inspire anything, confidence or otherwise, in his players. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I commented early this season that Donovan Williams was an electric athlete who needed more time on the court, but last night he was bricking 3-pointers as bad as the rest of them.  I simply don't understand why Shaka can't ever put the brakes on long-distance shooting when it's not happening.  (It wasn't happening for either team @ 17%, but we took twice as many 3's as KU.  I'm sure Bill Self appreciated it.)

I found it pretty “amazing” that after we won the first half by playing through Sims Shakas brilliant “strategy” was to let a freshman who has barely played go full on hero ball for the bulk of the 2nd half

i don’t make $3 million a year coaching basketball but maybe keep playing through Sims? Crazy thought. 

It starts with recruiting imo. Just look at the Mo Bamba recruitment. Bamba had to basically tape Shaka on the shoulder and say “hey dumbass recruit me, I wanna play for you”. Either Shaka is was completely clueless that Bamba was interested or has a loser mentality and was ready to just let him go to Kansas or Duke. He’s in over his head.

Shaka has actually stumbled (intentionally or by shear luck) into some things that have worked the past few games after getting ass-raped by WVU.  Those have included playing Hepa and Kai with Sims, pressing a bit, giving Williams more minutes, feeding Sims the ball, and playing Febres and AJ sparingly (since both have absolutely not desire to play full speed on defense or fight for a board).  Despite glimpses of watchable basketball, he continues to fall into using a 4-small line-up in crunch time and let his players shoot horrible 3's with absolutely no repercussions.  The only guy that isn't trying to be Steph Curry seems to be Sims.

Williams' benefit the past few games has been energy, pressing the pace, and driving the paint, yet Shaka has him getting his 3's up in crunch time versus Kansas instead of feeding the guy inside who is shooting over 80%.  Febres and AJ completely stagnate the offense when on the court together and want nothing to do with playing defense or rebounding the ball, and they are in defending bigger or faster guys (matador style) when we need a stop and jacking up threes early in the shot clock when we should be working it inside to at least collapse the defense for a better look for them.

Baker and Kai come in for size and rebounding purposes and promptly decide they want to get their threes up.  Ramey continues to get frustrated and jack up phone-it-in 3's at the expense of his team when the game is still in the balance.

Shaka has no reigns or is too stubborn or ignorant to use them.  He has a very poor sense of when to sub in and when not to pull a player from the game.  He seems oblivious to match-ups on the court at times and seems fine with watching Febres and AJ getting posted up by power forwards and standing flatfooted while opposing players reach over them for rebounds .  His offense is to get about 30 threes up and hope Febres, AJ, Coleman, and Ramey hit about 45% or better on them.  It's kind of like he's trying to base his offense on a James Hardin style of play, which is not going to win 50% of the games without James Hardin on the team.  

It was infuriating to see Coleman get stuck guarding Kansas' big men with Ramey standing they watching instead of doubling down to try to help his out-manned teammate.

Give me Sims, Kai, Hepa, Williams, and Coleman...  I'll deal with Hepa and Williams getting beat off the dribble by smaller guys with Kai and Sims in the paint.  Bring Ramey, and Hamm off the bench.  Tell Ramey his role is to play good defense and drive he ball.  When he pouts or gets lazy on offense and starts standing and shooting the 1/2 court 3's, yank his ass.   Febres and AJ need some very tough love right now.  They are going at junior high speed and effort about 85% of the time and that doesn't cut it.  They can both make shots, bot don't seem interested in working to get good shots or playing the defensive end of the court.  Even when the rest of the team is moving they simply stand around and crowd areas outside the 3 point line which fucks up the spacing and pacing lanes.

• Like 1

That entire team, including the coaching staff, needs this treatment right fucking here (minus his apologies spliced in because he had ZERO to apologize for)...

But, Shaka sure as shit doesn't have this greatness within.

Edited by Cajun

not sure why this thread has so many pages. Jay Bilas says Shaka shouldn't be in any danger

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-basketball-coach-Shaka-Smart-in-no-danger-Jay-Bilas-contract-143298184/

Jay Bilas: Texas coach Shaka Smart should be 'in no danger'

By KEVIN FLAHERTY 15 hours ago

Texas coach Shaka Smart has seemingly been facing questions about his job for more than a year. Monday night, ESPN’s Jay Bilas said that if he were Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte, Smart would be “in no danger.”

Early in Texas’ game at Kansas, with the Longhorns looking for their third-straight victory, ESPN play-by-play announcer Bob Wischusen broached the topic. He asked Bilas, “The pressure on Shaka Smart to get some wins is how high?”

“Well, it’s high on everybody, but I think Texas fans expect to go to the NCAA Tournament, and this is a team that is scratching and clawing to get there,” Bilas responded. “I can tell you this, that if I were the athletic director at Texas, he would be in no danger. I think he is not only an outstanding coach, he’s one of the best people you will ever meet.”

I've never met Shaka Smart and he doesn't win enough as a basketball coach. Why in the motherfucking hell would I care if he was one of the best people Jay Bilas has "ever (met)"?

This is why I'm checked out right now. Stop worrying about wins and losses, peons. Support your team. Those two things are contradictory.

I got a kid, I got a wife, I got a job, I got a band. I do not have space in my life to opt-in to consistent frustration and no amount of guilt-tripping me for being too tough on poor mediocre millionaire Shaka Smart is going to change that.

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

That entire team, including the coaching staff, needs this treatment right fucking here (minus his apologies spliced in because he had ZERO to apologize for)...

But, Shaka sure as shit doesn't have this greatness within.

That is amazing.

Augie: collected a fat paycheck and expected nothing less than excellence

Shaka: collects a fat paycheck and doesn’t give a shit

Edited by XYZ

To be fair, Augie put it on cruise control toward the end, ala Sally's husband.

But before he did that he was pure, unadulterated, greatness.

I'm not really cool with the coasting, however,  at least the dude got to the top of the mountain and camped out there for a long, long time.  

Shaka?  Shit, he's barely out of base camp.  I'm tired of having coaches and staffs here who are utterly unwilling to rip some fucking heads off when it's called for.  And it is definitely called for with these bunch of numbnuts.

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

To be fair, Augie put it on cruise control toward the end, ala Sally's husband.

But before he did that he was pure, unadulterated, greatness.

I'm not really cool with the coasting, however,  at least the dude got to the top of the mountain and camped out there for a long, long time.  

Shaka?  Shit, he's barely out of base camp.  I'm tired of having coaches and staffs here who are utterly unwilling to rip some fucking heads off when it's called for.  And it is definitely called for with these bunch of numbnuts.

Base camp? Shaka hasn't made it halfway up the steps at Mount Bonnell.

The so called experts say the last 10 games get a lot of importance.  This team should go 3-7 or 2-8, and go on to win a couple of NIT games, possibly setting a new record for smallest crowd ever to attend a game at the Erwin center.  

I have a feeling cdc is not pulling the trigger on this guy unless the big donors tell him to.  

I read somewhere on this board that Perrin finally admitted a big donor pressured him to give Shaka the extension.

If the new arena doesn’t open until 21-22, then cdc can wait for another year.  Then he can have a new coach to go with the new arena.  

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic