Fire Shaka Smart

Just saw a list of the top 200 programs over the last five years. Despite being top 10 nationally in recruiting during that time, Texas came in at #69. Had our non conference schedule actually had a pulse last year we no doubt would have been even loser. Notable programs that are ranked ahead of Texas:

Texas A&M, Loyola (IL), Rhode Island, Montana, Winthrop, Tennessee, Murray State, Liberty, Yale, UC-Irvine, Northern Kentucky, SDSU, Belmont, NC Central, Iona, Creighton, VCU, Dayton, East Tennessee State, SFA, Buffalo, Providence, S Dakota State, Nevada, Seton Hall, and Cougar High. 

Way to go Shaka!!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is tough to accomplish in four years, but I wouldn't put it past Shaka.

Shaka should definitely get at least one more year. Many of his recruits will finally be upperclassmen by then, and he'll have his best shot of any year he's been here. Fans need to realize 2 maj

Hire Jim Boeheim. He would kill in Austin. 

Posted Images

Just missing the tournament sounds about right for the Shaka era.  Even worse, the majority of teams you listed ahead of Texas have to win the conference tournament to even make the Dance and don't even waste their time dreaming about the level of recruit Texas pulled in regularly during that span.  Simply no excuse for such a poor showing.

12 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Just saw a list of the top 200 programs over the last five years. Despite being top 10 nationally in recruiting during that time, Texas came in at #69. Had our non conference schedule actually had a pulse last year we no doubt would have been even loser. Notable programs that are ranked ahead of Texas:

Texas A&M, Loyola (IL), Rhode Island, Montana, Winthrop, Tennessee, Murray State, Liberty, Yale, UC-Irvine, Northern Kentucky, SDSU, Belmont, NC Central, Iona, Creighton, VCU, Dayton, East Tennessee State, SFA, Buffalo, Providence, S Dakota State, Nevada, Seton Hall, and Cougar High. 

Way to go Shaka!!!

Apparently... SHAKA IS OUR STANDARD.

#sad

• 3 months later...

Rick has been killing it in recruiting, and unfortunately for all of us, while the same he's been largely true of Shaka during his time here, it looks like Shaka's inability time sign any impact players for 2021 (hoping/assuming bww eventually get Collins) will have Texas in really, really bad shape one year from now. a total rebuild for a program that hasn't even built anything in the first place. ugh i hate that we hired this fraud and then extended the man for having one good regular season with Rick Barnes' players. 

• Hook 'Em 2

And speaking of Barnes and his players, i've been watching a bunch of old UT games on the LHN, and the difference in competency and confidence in Barnes players vs Shaka players is striking. I mean it is drastic, and sort of a shock to the system when you see that the likes of Lexi Wangmene were so much more confident/capable/ready to perform than pretty much any player Shaka has brought to Texas.

I used to watch Wangmene and go, "Jesus Christ, this guy can't even catch the ball, how is a he getting PT on this team?" Then i go back and watch him playing against UNC at Jerryworld and the dude is primed and ready for action. all of our players were this way, and this goes back to the beginning of the Barnes era. hell, Gary Johnson looks like an All American compared to all of Shaka's guys. If you get a chance to catch any of these old games on the LHN, give them a look- it is undeniable how out-of-his-league Shaka is as a coach when you go back and watch how even our shitty players played with a direct purpose, with confidence, with speed, and with aggression. Feels like a team of five of Barnes's scrubs would run the Shaka All Stars out of the gym based on the confidence/aggression/acumen alone. We have killed our basketball program with one bad hire, and it will not revived until this child of a coach is gone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Donovan coaching this year's team (obviously not happening) could be epic. We are built for a great regular season and deep tourney run- our combination of talent, depth, athleticism, and experience (particularly at the guard spots) is basically the blueprint for a Sweet 16/Elite 8 team; that is, if we had a living, breathing coach running the program. When this year ends and 85% of our minutes/points/rebounds/assists all leave, the roster and outlook will be bleak. If we don't have Billy Donovan there (we won't), it is going to be bad fucking times man. ONE TIME CDC! ONE TIME!!

• Hook 'Em 1

Bad timing on Donovan. He would cost a lot, which I have no doubt we would pay, but no way we eat Shaka's buyout AND assume the higher salary with all of the financial stress the AD is under due to Covid. But I agree with DD, he would slay with this roster. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • 2 weeks later...

"Following the end of the 2016-17 season, Hatt served as the point person in a series of upgrades inside Denton A. Cooley Pavilion designed to enhance the overall student-athlete experience. New basketball floors, wall graphics and scoreboards were installed along with a complete remodel of the locker room and player lounge area."

"The 33-year-old Hatt served as a graduate assistant at VCU under Shaka Smart during the 2014-15 season."

"Following graduation, Hatt served two years (2008-10) as a content editor at ESPN in Bristol, Conn., where he worked on shows such as “SportsCenter” and a variety of other specialty shows across various network platforms. He then spent one year (2010-11) as a content contributor for “New England Recruiting Report” and an event manager for Hoop Mountain, a national leader in basketball tournaments, camps and showcases. Hatt assisted NERR founding editor Adam Finkelstein in prospect evaluation, event coverage and features and supplied relevant content for Finkelstein’s web site and national scouting service."

"Prior to joining Smart’s staff at VCU, Hatt served as head boys’ basketball coach, assistant dean of students, academic advisor and dorm parent for one year (2013-14) at Vermont Academy in Saxtons River, Vt.. He also spent one season (2012-13) as the assistant boys’ basketball coach at Vermont Academy."

imagine our head football coach hiring a coordinator with a resume like that ^^^^ 

fuck Shaka Smart 

I'm not arguing for this guy, he sounds like a shitty hire. Since he was hired from within he probably came cheap. Finding the coin to hire a sexy name for assistant basketball coach probably isn't high on CDC's priorities. Especially if CDC knows that Shaka isnt the answer. 20-21 has the potential to be a throwaway season for a lot of teams. 

On 9/8/2020 at 2:18 PM, shadow_operative said:

Rick has been killing it in recruiting, and unfortunately for all of us, while the same he's been largely true of Shaka during his time here, it looks like Shaka's inability time sign any impact players for 2021 (hoping/assuming bww eventually get Collins) will have Texas in really, really bad shape one year from now. a total rebuild for a program that hasn't even built anything in the first place. ugh i hate that we hired this fraud and then extended the man for having one good regular season with Rick Barnes' players. 

Rick's problem was never recruiting talent at the end of his tenure, it was always the inability to keep players from transferring. 

Julien Lewis, Sheldon McClellan, Sterling Gibbs, Jaylen Bond, Ioannis Papapetrou.

I don't think Shaka was the answer, but I sure as shit was tired of the toxic environment that was present at the end of Barnes time here.

Outside of Derka, would anyone here welcome Barnes back after going 105-64 at Tennessee?

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Rick's problem was never recruiting talent at the end of his tenure, it was that he stopped winning and become an even bigger asshole as his teams got worse.

FIFY

He could get away with being a total fucking asshole when he was winning, not so much when he stopped winning.

47 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Rick's problem was never recruiting talent at the end of his tenure, it was always the inability to keep players from transferring. 

Julien Lewis, Sheldon McClellan, Sterling Gibbs, Jaylen Bond, Ioannis Papapetrou.

I don't think Shaka was the answer, but I sure as shit was tired of the toxic environment that was present at the end of Barnes time here.

Outside of Derka, would anyone here welcome Barnes back after going 105-64 at Tennessee?

Yes

I get that watching those old Texas teams is an awesome display of preparation, defense, talent and development.

The problem is that if you watch VCU from Shaka’a tenure there and especially the deep tourney runs, they looked great too. He just completely changed his identity once he got here. I will never understand it.

• Hook 'Em 1
3 hours ago, MoJames said:

i've never argued that the environment hadn't become toxic or that Barnes didn't need to go. it's just silly though for anyone to act like they don't remember what all was said about Barnes as both a person and particularly as a coach during his final years here; to act as if there's no crow to be eaten. it's just silly. that's all. 

2 hours ago, destroya said:

FIFY

He could get away with being a total fucking asshole when he was winning, not so much when he stopped winning.

of course those two things went hand in hand; you recruit mentally weak players who can't handle being yelled at and you're going to stop winning. not absolving him of any blame- they're his players, and it's his program- just saying that Texas didn't stop winning because Barnes forgot how to coach. 

looking back at it, if Barnes hadn't coached Myles Turner as if he was going to be a four year player then Rick probably never would have been fired. if I had to narrow it down to one thing anyway, then that would probably be it. Turner's team (and his personal play) should have been so much better, but by that point Barnes was too far gone in his anger/dissatisfaction to change, hence the need for a change of scenery. 

looking back at it, if Barnes hadn't coached Myles Turner as if he was going to be a four year player then Rick probably never would have been fired. if I had to narrow it down to one thing anyway, then that would probably be it. Turner's team (and his personal play) should have been so much better, but by that point Barnes was too far gone in his anger/dissatisfaction to change, hence the need for a change of scenery. 

Do you and others really not understand why Barnes was fired? This post makes it seem like you don’t know what really happened. You do know, right?
3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Do you and others really not understand why Barnes was fired? This post makes it seem like you don’t know what really happened. You do know, right?

Steve Patterson told him to fire his assistants and he refused to do so. if you're talking about him being fired for something else then no i don't know what you're talking about. 

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

of course those two things went hand in hand; you recruit mentally weak players who can't handle being yelled at and you're going to stop winning. not absolving him of any blame- they're his players, and it's his program- just saying that Texas didn't stop winning because Barnes forgot how to coach. 

What I am saying is he became a bigger asshole when he stopped winning. When the losing started he said he needed to ‘coach the players harder’ what that looked like was him being an even bigger asshole. 

Steve Patterson told him to fire his assistants and he refused to do so. if you're talking about him being fired for something else then no i don't know what you're talking about. 

I’ll use the term allegedly because there is no definitive information out there publicly, but he was fired because allegedly he was an out of control alcoholic. He was a phenomenal coach for years on the verge of a national al championship but his drinking got out of control and led to his dismissal. All of this is allegedly. If you google
YouTube, in his interviews he references not living his life right. That’s why he failed in his last years here, not because he was a bad coach. He’s a phenomenal coach who struggled with his own demons, allegedly.
3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’ll use the term allegedly because there is no definitive information out there publicly, but he was fired because allegedly he was an out of control alcoholic. He was a phenomenal coach for years on the verge of a national al championship but his drinking got out of control and led to his dismissal. All of this is allegedly. If you google
YouTube, in his interviews he references not living his life right. That’s why he failed in his last years here, not because he was a bad coach. He’s a phenomenal coach who struggled with his own demons, allegedly.

i always assumed that the "not living his life right" stuff was in reference to stepping out on his wife. i also thought i'd heard that he'd quit drinking once he became born-again or whatever, but i don't know for sure. 

Edited by shadow_operative
12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you can if you want to, but that would likely include not clicking on/participating in this thread. no hate, just saying. if you don't want to follow what's going on with Barnes and Tennessee then this is the wrong thread to come to.

Maybe somebody should start a Rick Barnes thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Maybe somebody should start a Rick Barnes thread.

Yeah... I'm all for the discussion on this thread to be focused towards "Fire Shaka Smart".

All that other stuff on the current tennessee men's basketball coach can be handled on that other thread... 😁

i don't know if it's diet, sleep habits, practice/workout regimens, lack of oversight, or just plain bad luck, but god damn Shaka's players get hurt at an alarmingly high rate.

27e3a77a5d8c89fd33672f6e57f0685b.jpg

it feels like we've had more injuries and surgeries in five years under Shaka than we did the previous 20 years combined. jesus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk