Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

FWIW, I looked at the tigerdroppings thread about when he decommited and a lot of talk was saying he's had multiple knee/leg operations.

Yeah that was reported on the LSU 247 site when he decomitted. I don't know much about him as a prospect and I agree you have to kick the tires, but that's a pretty big red flag for a HS OL. I'd think they see hin at guard unless he is just a freak and can still move well after that. If he really goes way back with JQJ then I'd think there would be a lot of interest if he's offered.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mike Roach: Scattershooting the Texas Heat Wave 2019

—The Texas Heat Wave event is always popular for recruits. The Texas staff came up with a great idea to throw a laid-back visit down right in the middle of the grind that is camp season. Recruits are typically more loose at this event, and I believe it allows Texas to make low-pressure pitches and show off a family environment.

—The Dallas to Austin trend is picking up steam. All D-FW prospects we talked to today were excited about the idea of playing together at the next level. Most of them credited Duncanville star Ja’Quinden Jackson with that movement. As I’ve said before, Jackson isn’t vocal on social media, but he’s the most respected man in Dallas. Kids from the I-20 corridor in Dallas which includes Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Lancaster, South Oak Cliff, and Bishop Dunne all grew up around each other playing youth football. Jackson appears to be the key Texas needed to unlock Dallas.

—We aren’t allowed to speak with official visitors while they are on their visit, but Bijan Robinson and his family were all smiles when they buzzed by on a golf cart. We’ll have more information following the visit, but this was a great weekend to host the five-star back and show off some of the family dynamics.

—Speaking of family dynamic, I’m told that Texas made some progress on five-star Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Johnny Wilson. Wilson returned for his second unofficial visit of the summer, and it’s virtually a lock he will come back for an official. I’m told that De’Gabriel Floyd and his family have been instrumental in breaking down that family dynamic to Wilson, and I could see this one playing out in Texas’ favor the longer it goes.

—Two guys to keep an eye on down the road are Cedar Hill OT Courtland Ford and Columbia (Mo.) Rock Bridge DL Jalen Logan-Redding. Ford doesn’t have an offer, but Texas brought him in to get to know the staff better. Ford is close with Jackson, and if Texas offers, I could see them instantly jumping into the lead. Logan-Redding made his third unofficial visit of the year to Austin, and it’s clear he has high interest in Texas.

—I think Texas took an important step in the recruitment of Virginia Beach (Va.) Princess Anne cornerback Tony Grimes today. Grimes saw Austin for the first time, and he was blown away by the experience. Texas A&M has a long relationship with Grimes and his family, but I wouldn’t bet against Jason Washington in this recruitment. Grimes and his father are evaluating multiple schools closely, but Texas established themselves as a player today.

—Alfred Collins has been very hard to read, but I’m starting to like Texas more and more in this battle. Texas A&M will likely pose the biggest threat, and his official visit to College Station when the Aggies face off against Alabama will be a huge factor in his recruitment. That said, I feel that Collins relates very well with Oscar Giles, and I like the way Texas is currently trending in his recruitment.

—One of the biggest weapons Texas can employ on these visits are the parents of current players. Texas had a parent panel to answer questions about their experience with the program, and it goes over huge with the recruit’s families. Caden Sterns' mother and Marqez Bimage's father were two of the parents on the panel, and we received great feedback from the parents and families in attendance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

That said, I feel that Collins relates very well with Oscar Giles, and I like the way Texas is currently trending in his recruitment.

OG doing work.  the man is an invaluable part of the staff.  if collins comes here he’ll soon be terrorizing offensive lines as a 6’6” 300# fucking monster at 4i.

• Like 1

FYI the CB situation on Bijan is Demetric Warren (formerly OU guy, now national) on UCLA and Andrew Ellis (tOSU guy) and Blair Angulo (former USC guy, now mountain states regional dude) on cloudy. Roach and Drumm (OU guy) have him on UT.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

FYI the CB situation on Bijan is Demetric Warren (formerly OU guy, now national) on UCLA and Andrew Ellis (tOSU guy) and Blair Angulo (former USC guy, now mountain states regional dude) on cloudy. Roach and Drumm (OU guy) have him on UT.

So what you're saying is.... checkmate? 

FYI... shouldn't you be on a date right now? 

As much as we belly ache about Giles, the man/staff has pretty good back up plans. Oxendine, Logan-Redding and Fillinger would be  pretty strong DL haul. Just please land Broughton and Collins. 

That said, Herman please enact some early retirements in Year 4. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

As much as we belly ache about Giles, the man/staff has pretty good back up plans. Oxendine, Logan-Redding and Fillinger would be  pretty strong DL haul. Just please land Broughton and Collins. 

That said, Herman please enact some early retirements in Year 4. 

The staff has never had a problem with identifying guys at any position. It's about closing them at DL, RB, and occasionally WR.