Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

I only know their track times from this season ... 

Dixon - 10.71 and a 21.7 LJ

Achane - 10.82 and 20.69 LJ

Dixon is 20 pounds on Achane and room to grow - while Achane has a tiny frame. 

They are both incredibly fast between the stripes - I just think Dixon is not only better now but has way more upside because he could play several positions. 

If your argument is that Dixon is faster when weight is factored in, or that he's faster with pads on, then maybe. But Achane is a 200m and relay guy who only ran the 100m once and it was really early in the season, so you're not getting an apples to apples comparison here;  he's probably the second fastest pure sprinter in the state after Bolling, and owned the 6th fastest 200m dash in the nation, and is potentially the fastest prospect in terms on track speed in the class.

If Achane ran it late in the season and focused on it, it's not a contest. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Translation: the parents like Texas more but Broughton has bought the schematic Kool-Aid. Leal 2.0, if true.

Leal's parents were just fine with him going aggie, the mom liked her relationship with our staff but they are more than ok with the aggie agreement.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I posted a bunch about assistants elsewhere and turned the recruiting thread into a shitshow, but my primary thought is that while not every position coach needs to be a Beck or Washington type of ringer who helps carry others' recruitments, at Texas they at least need to be Naivar or Hand who recruit at a Texas level for their respective groups; we especially need it at running back and defensive line, where talent is abundantly more important than technical teaching. I don't care as much at WR, because the area is flush with fungible talent outside of the handful of Waddle and Demas types, but we aren't paying up for them anyway. 

Anyway, I personally like Dixon a lot, but even if we fuck up his recruitment, we'll find someone who can more or less replace him. Maybe this Bunkley-Shelton Cali kid who's visiting next month? 

Odd that Coach went from knowing exactly who he made a mistake with during/after year 1 to refusing to make obvious changes after year 2.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Texas has buttfucked the Dixon recruitment and made it harder than it has to be. They did the same with White at LB this class and with the dude who went to OU in 2018's class. You're close enough to it. They have a habit of stepping on their dicks.  I've avoided ranting about the assistants lately, but part of the problem is that Herman has a bunch of yes-men around him and they won't tell him when he's being a narcissistic twit. One of the benefits of having some new help on the staff would be the chance that at least one of them will tell the fucking guy to get his shit together occasionally when he needs to do so. 

Ctj.... Herman has to see the consistent failures of his staff with recruiting stud RBs, DL, and LBs. Ok Cool definitely knows that Texas has to have better players to win Championships.

• What was the Texas Coaches original plan for recruiting Dixon and White?  
  • What are some specific things that the narcissistic twit needs to do to get his shit together?
  • Drayton was Herman's first hire at Texas.... WTF!!   What the hell do you hear about Drayton?

Just now, texifornia said:

Yeah it's not. I still remember people mad about Herman making "G5 hires" like Jason Washington who were stoked when he brought in proven P5/NFL badass Drayton.

I certainly was excited about it. Oops.

One proved the promise he showed at Houston was worth the move to Texas. He has coached  and recruited very well. 

The other has proved to be unable to reel in a big fish in several different flavors of recruitment, and has not lived up to lofty though reasonable expectation. 

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Don't think this one is true.

Officially, You're right.... My mistake.

I'm remembering something along the lines that behind the scenes, Herman already knew that Drayton was gonna be his Assoc Head Coach.....

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, randygilman said:

One proved the promise he showed at Houston was worth the move to Texas. He has coached  and recruited very well. 

The other has proved to be unable to reel in a big fish in several different flavors of recruitment, and has not lived up to lofty though reasonable expectation. 

BuKZ.gif

I'm interested in seeing if Orlando leaves does Naivar stay at safety coach, or move to LB coach. With the amount of former players that have shown up to help under Herman, I would think that Naivar could stay at S and get help from Huff, while taking over the scheming and play calls and go get a rain making LB coach. Of course I'd prefer 2 LB coaches, one for inside and one for B/DL to help with Giles.

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm interested in seeing if Orlando leaves does Naivar stay at safety coach, or move to LB coach. With the amount of former players that have shown up to help under Herman, I would think that Naivar could stay at S and get help from Huff, while taking over the scheming and play calls and go get a rain making LB coach. Of course I'd prefer 2 LB coaches, one for inside and one for B/DL to help with Giles.

Derrick Johnson just retired from the NFL.    

• Like 1

Never was sold on Orlando leaving for a HC position. He doesn't seem to have the disposition for it yet.

Herman can't continue to be stubborn about his staff like CS. Every time we lose a Chaisson, Leal, Perkins, Broughton, etc. the championship timeline gets pushed back.  If Orlando & Giles can't sell this scheme but are good teachers why not replace Warehime with another defensive coach w/ some selling chops? I don't understand what purpose Warehime serves on this staff. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Never was sold on Orlando leaving for a HC position. He doesn't seem to have the disposition for it yet.

Herman can't continue to be stubborn about his staff like CS. Every time we lose a Chaisson, Leal, Perkins, Broughton, etc. the championship timeline gets pushed back.  If Orlando & Giles can't sell this scheme but are good teachers why not replace Warehime with another defensive coach w/ some selling chops? I don't understand what purpose Warehime serves on this staff. 

CTJ's take of Coach surrounding himself with "Yes Men" fits he, Meh, Giles and TO.

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

Nice neutral article. Is this article written from Ian Boyd at IT?  Strong on opinion but weak on substance. 

I'm sure some of it is myth but, for the most part, it isnt.  Dr Oz had a HUGE walk-on program.  What is the total amount of players allowed on the roster today? 110 or something like that?  IIRC, Nebbie's 1995 team that went to the Fiesta bowl took a traveling squad of 141 (one article said 165) - traveling squad - Florida had 94.  this is huge.  Can you imagine what Texas or 0U could do with an extra 60 or 80 players taking PEDs in the S&C program for 4-5 yrs?  You dont think a half dozen or dozen diamonds in the rough or late bloomers wouldnt help fill holes in the depth chart? of course they would and that's all that is needed to make a huge difference.  I read an article a long time ago that stated that nebbie set some type of record for having the most walk-ons get drafted or something like that.  How does that happen if the walk-on program made no practical difference as Boyd suggests?  Besides completely making up the star ranking on the starting position chart he posted, he still listed THREE walk-on starters on what some consider one of the best teams of all time. Name me another Championship team that had THREE walk-on STARTERS; and the depth chart had more.  The county scholarship was also a thing but nobody could prove that Ozzy was directly involved in pushing for players that were covered by state scholarships. My view has always been, so what? If you have a virtually unlimited walk-on program, then what difference does it make? 

For a long time they claimed the largest weight room in the nation (30,000 sq/ft) - ok, so what - but during this time, Nebbie and roids were a big rumor in the '80s and '90s at a time when most of us didnt even know what they were, and it wasnt just creatine. Also, at a time when most of the Husknut nation were putting a lot of pressure on Tommyboy saying he could win a lot of games but couldnt win the big games that mattered. Then all of a sudden, they started producing those huge athletic linemen out of seemingly nowhere. 

Did Boyd even touch on the partial qualifier thing?  no?  that is just as much recruiting as anything else... or at least it was for Dr OZ. If you can grow linemen, TEs and LBs to fill a depth chart, and you can recruit nationally for players that normally would have to go JUCO, then you've got a good foundation in order to build a program. The 1995 team that the article talked about, had 4 starters that were partial qualifiers and two more were major substitutes and saw a lot of game time.  On that roster there were 12 players that were partial qualifiers and they likely would not have gone undefeated without them... and Lawrence Phillips who was reinstated on the team just for the championship game... but that's a different sleazy issue.   

Edited by Soldierhorn
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, golfclap said:

I just don't get the Achane thing. I mean, I'm sure you're right but Dixon is bigger, faster, and a better football player right now.

Dixon is bigger and that's it.  I saw a couple of Achane's playoff games last year and he was far and away the best player on the field.  He even made his QB into a top recruit until he went to camp and showed that he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.  

13 hours ago, SWC said:

Well, there ya go.  Still have to get the partial qualifier thing solved but it can be done.  See UNC.

Not anywhere close to what Tommyboy did when Scott Frost was the QB hiding in the closet after banging Lawrence Phillips girl friend and stayed in there while Phillips dragged her out of the apartment and down a flight of stairs by her hair.  This is all PR. Frost can beef up the walk-on program but it cant be anywhere close to what Dr OZ had.  

11 hours ago, Irieguy said:

Learning how to post? Fucking lol. Learning would be not knowing the inside jokes and asking what CB meant. That’s not what SWC was doing. He was shitposting/trolling and his ban was well deserved. But you only mentioned him as an excuse to bash Spider2. Yawn. 

SWC was the poster formerly known as Purgatory. He has been banned under at least 20 different handles here on Surly.  

Guest SWC's Ghost
49 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

SWC was the poster formerly known as Purgatory. He has been banned under at least 20 different handles here on Surly.  

No I am not Purgatory.  I post on the OB free site but not that much.  This is my second handle on Surly.  I am a UT grad... but I am older, Gen X.  I was having some fun.  No biggie.

Edited by SWC's Ghost

Guest SWC's Ghost

This was posted on OB's.  I thought it might apply.

After watching that 5'star challenge video, I'm a lot less concerned about getting or not getting Broughton. He is no DE and now that I've seen his body type he is much better suited to play a 3 tech than a 1 or 5 tech. I also came away really wanting us to get Octavious Oxindine (not sure on spelling), that kid is exactly what you are looking for in a 1 or 0 technique. He is a pocket crusher. He has the perfect body frame to play in the middle and do major damage. 

I don't care where these two kids are ranked, Ox is a better fit for Texas than Broughton is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aggie: Octavios is a pocket pusher for sure but Broughton didn’t do bad at all in his 2 plays he got to the quarterback. Maybe that is said because he has backed off Texas a bit, but he didn’t look bad at all. Roy was D-Line MVP and Raikes defensive MVP. I’m not quite sure how that worked, but those are awards they won.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying Broughton did bad. I said that he is a 3 tech and that is a 4-3 DT. He is not a nose tackle nor is he a DE. He wants to be a DE and he is not a DE not now, and not in the future. Octavios is a true nose tackle and that is what we need more than a wanna-be DE like Broughton. 

To further my argument look at the build of Broughton, he is 6'5 285 right now. He is not overly fast or overly athletic, he is a guy that has a great frame and will likely develop into a 6'5 315 lb DT. Octavious Ox is 6'2 and 300 lbs That is a good size for a 0 technique, he is low to the ground and extremely hard to root out. He is also a bull and will almost always require a double team. 

Now I will also mention Alfred Collins who is a Strong side DE. He is 6'5 247 listing, however he told one of the reporters that he is now up to 280 lbs. I don't know for sure what he weighs but at 247 lbs he was super athletic. If he is 280 lbs and was able to keep his athleticism he is already as big as Olmenihu and a much closer fit to what Texas is looking for as a strong side DE. Collins also has almost no body fat where Broughton does have a little bit of body fat on him. 

It's a crap shoot on how these guys are going to develop but I'm comfortable with Texas recruiting if they can close the deal with Ox and Collins. Broughton to me is not a DE and is probably best suited to play 3 tech.

Guest SWC's Ghost
7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Ctj.... Herman has to see the consistent failures of his staff with recruiting stud RBs, DL, and LBs. Ok Cool definitely knows that Texas has to have better players to win Championships.

• What was the Texas Coaches original plan for recruiting Dixon and White?  
  • What are some specific things that the narcissistic twit needs to do to get his shit together?
  • Drayton was Herman's first hire at Texas.... WTF!!   What the hell do you hear about Drayton?

Weren't we complaining about the opposite with MB and co.?  Great recruiter but little development.  Do you think Mack goes to the Sugar Bowl with CS's players and whips uga?  No way.  Their development would have still been on the HS level.  I am happy with Herman and his staff.  No one is perfect.  I like the style and alignment.  Relax, enjoy the ride.

Edited by SWC's Ghost

Pretty obvious Herman has decided his plan to win (the program itself) and the culture he's working to establish trumps everything else, to include individual recruitments.  If he has to choose, he's more comfortable with keeping good coaches on staff he believes support the culture 100%.  If that costs us a recruit here and there, so be it.

I think most on this recruiting board want to see more of a UGA approach with recruiting wizards all over the staff and more reliance on talent acquisition as opposed to pure coaching.  Ideally, we'd have both but very few outside of Bama (and now Clemson) are pulling that off.  While TH is an Urban disciple, it would appear he's modeling the program more along the lines of Clemson.  Program, culture, stability, stability, stability.

It's a longer path.  We'll see if TH can stay the course for the long haul and deliver on a similar trajectory.  

Edited by Stampeder
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

I think most on this recruiting board want to see more of a UGA approach witch recruiting wizards all over the staff and more reliance on talent acquisition as opposed to pure coaching. 

Don't confuse good recruiters like Washington with guys who just throw money around.

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Don't confuse good recruiters like Washington with guys who just throw money around.

I didn't say anything about tossing money around and I'm aware of the rep UGA has at this point.  Just saying I think most would prefer recruiting ability first and foremost and that's clearly not Herman's priority.

Edited by Stampeder

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I mean, don't assume that just because you personally haven't heard of them that guys like Coley, Lanning, Harley, Schumann, etc are actually shitty recruiters who only get players by paying them

Edited by NoName

1 hour ago, SWC's Ghost said:

This was posted on OB's.  I thought it might apply.

After watching that 5'star challenge video, I'm a lot less concerned about getting or not getting Broughton. He is no DE and now that I've seen his body type he is much better suited to play a 3 tech than a 1 or 5 tech. I also came away really wanting us to get Octavious Oxindine (not sure on spelling), that kid is exactly what you are looking for in a 1 or 0 technique. He is a pocket crusher. He has the perfect body frame to play in the middle and do major damage. 

I don't care where these two kids are ranked, Ox is a better fit for Texas than Broughton is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aggie: Octavios is a pocket pusher for sure but Broughton didn’t do bad at all in his 2 plays he got to the quarterback. Maybe that is said because he has backed off Texas a bit, but he didn’t look bad at all. Roy was D-Line MVP and Raikes defensive MVP. I’m not quite sure how that worked, but those are awards they won.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying Broughton did bad. I said that he is a 3 tech and that is a 4-3 DT. He is not a nose tackle nor is he a DE. He wants to be a DE and he is not a DE not now, and not in the future. Octavios is a true nose tackle and that is what we need more than a wanna-be DE like Broughton. 

To further my argument look at the build of Broughton, he is 6'5 285 right now. He is not overly fast or overly athletic, he is a guy that has a great frame and will likely develop into a 6'5 315 lb DT. Octavious Ox is 6'2 and 300 lbs That is a good size for a 0 technique, he is low to the ground and extremely hard to root out. He is also a bull and will almost always require a double team. 

Now I will also mention Alfred Collins who is a Strong side DE. He is 6'5 247 listing, however he told one of the reporters that he is now up to 280 lbs. I don't know for sure what he weighs but at 247 lbs he was super athletic. If he is 280 lbs and was able to keep his athleticism he is already as big as Olmenihu and a much closer fit to what Texas is looking for as a strong side DE. Collins also has almost no body fat where Broughton does have a little bit of body fat on him. 

It's a crap shoot on how these guys are going to develop but I'm comfortable with Texas recruiting if they can close the deal with Ox and Collins. Broughton to me is not a DE and is probably best suited to play 3 tech.

This is one of the dumbest bullshit I’ve seen. Broughton has versatility to line up all over the line for us and he’s never said he’s only be willing to play DE. It’s just been reported he prefers that scheme, which is a huge difference. That Ox kid is a JAG. You can find other DL just as good as him.

Recruiting isn’t a crap shoot. Not every player pans out, but higher ranked players pan out more often than lower ranked ones. The data shows this year after year. It’s not a complicated concept. 

This is the kind of stupid bullshit people make up when they don’t want to admit to themselves that their school whiffed on an elite talent. 

20 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

I didn't say anything about tossing money around and I'm aware of the rep UGA has at this point.  Just saying I think most would prefer recruiting ability first and foremost and that's clearly not Herman's priority.

You have to do both at a high level if you want to win a title, which I think we’d all agree is the goal. It can’t be an either/or. If Herman has too many guys who can’t do both (and he does right now), then he needs to increase the talent level on his staff, because the schools that win titles aren’t picking one or the other. Saying he just prioritizes development is just an excuse. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You have to do both at a high level if you want to win a title, which I think we’d all agree is the goal. It can’t be an either/or. If Herman has too many guys who can’t do both (and he does right now), then he needs to increase the talent level on his staff, because the schools that win titles aren’t picking one or the other. Saying he just prioritizes development is just an excuse. 

Ideally, you do both at a very high level.  There are only two teams doing that right now--Bama/Clemson.  UGA is recruiting at a high level, but I wouldn't concede they're developing or coaching at the same level as Bama/Clemson.  TH clearly feels the Clemson approach of staff continuity is the best one and he's shown very clearly he's going to do it his way, right or wrong.  It's going to lead to some very frustrating days, but it's his program.  So far, the trajectory is headed in the right direction.  Having said that, we need to win the B12 this year or his argument for keeping some of the coaches on staff loses all credibility.

4 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

Ideally, you do both at a very high level.  There are only two teams doing that right now--Bama/Clemson.  UGA is recruiting at a high level, but I wouldn't concede they're developing or coaching at the same level as Bama/Clemson.  TH clearly feels the Clemson approach of staff continuity is the best one and he's shown very clearly he's going to do it his way, right or wrong.  It's going to lead to some very frustrating days, but it's his program.  So far, the trajectory is headed in the right direction.  Having said that, we need to win the B12 this year or his argument for keeping some of the coaches on staff loses all credibility.

I get what you’re saying, but there’s some very obvious dead weight on the staff that could be easily improved. It will be close to impossible to win a title with as much dead weight as we have on the staff right now.

1 or 2 assistant changes would make a world of difference and it’s not like some of the guys people want gone, like Drayton (or any RB coach, really), Warehime, or Mehringer are otherworldly developers of talent. 

Just now, Stampeder said:

There are only two teams doing that right now--Bama/Clemson.  UGA is recruiting at a high level, but I wouldn't concede they're developing or coaching at the same level as Bama/Clemson.

I think only Clemson is doing both at a high level. Bama has more coaching turnover than anyone in the country. The development we see from them is only due to the fact that for the most part, they don't start underclassmen unless they have transcendent talent. They're projected to start one freshman, two true soph., and a rs soph. this year. Culture is everything at Bama, but talent dev is about average. It's impossible to be consistent with the coaching carousel over there.

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I think only Clemson is doing both at a high level. Bama has more coaching turnover than anyone in the country. The development we see from them is only due to the fact that for the most part, they don't start underclassmen unless they have transcendent talent. They're projected to start one freshman, two true soph., and a rs soph. this year. Culture is everything at Bama, but talent dev is about average. It's impossible to be consistent with the coaching carousel over there.

To that point I think GA will continue to get better as the bluechip prospects along both lines mature and head into their Jr/Sr seasons.

No, Broughton isn't a prototypical nose, and yes, Collins is probably the single most important DL recruit, but that doesn't make losing out on the former not a big deal. For one, while I agree he is probably best suited to play the 3 technique, that position is very similar to the 4i end. He also has the versatility to play inside when needed in sub packages. He has the kind of athleticism and talent that is needed to upgrade the standard of play on the DL, which is what's needed for this team to rally contend. Also, botching this recruitment is another data point showing the defensive recruiting issues on this staff. Giles, Orlando, Herman... Put the blame wherever you want but it's clearly an issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'll wait til December to figure out if they need to clean house with a few of these coaches.  Some players aren't trending (per $9.95ers) now but who knows what happens in the months to come.

Even if we have a good season, using 3 spots on Warehime, Meekins, Mehringer to coach WRs and TEs is a horrible use of assistant positions.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Even if we have a good season, using 3 spots on Warehime, Meekins, Mehringer to coach WRs and TEs is a horrible use of assistant positions.

I would tend to agree, but on-field results matter.  If we take the next step, win the B12 and we're squarely in the hunt for the CFP it'll be hard to fault TH for those decisions.  If we don't take the next step it'll be hard for him to justify standing pat.  One way or the other things should shake out by the end of the year.  Good news is, unless we completely crap the bed this season we're going to sleep walk to another top 10 class.  That'll be three consecutive top 5-10 classes and we'll be setup nicely for the ensuing years even if some coaching changes end up being made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stampeder said:

Pretty obvious Herman has decided his plan to win (the program itself) and the culture he's working to establish trumps everything else, to include individual recruitments.  If he has to choose, he's more comfortable with keeping good coaches on staff he believes support the culture 100%.  If that costs us a recruit here and there, so be it.

I think most on this recruiting board want to see more of a UGA approach with recruiting wizards all over the staff and more reliance on talent acquisition as opposed to pure coaching.  Ideally, we'd have both but very few outside of Bama (and now Clemson) are pulling that off.  While TH is an Urban disciple, it would appear he's modeling the program more along the lines of Clemson.  Program, culture, stability, stability, stability.

It's a longer path.  We'll see if TH can stay the course for the long haul and deliver on a similar trajectory.  

We can’t operate like Clemson because Texas doesn’t have bagmen. Clemson can always ultimately buy a player at a position of nee Herman can’t do that so he has to have ace recruiters to off set the lack of bagmen. Right now Herman is purposely playing the game on hard mode.

• Fuck You 1

Guest SWC's Ghost
36 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is one of the dumbest bullshit I’ve seen. Broughton has versatility to line up all over the line for us and he’s never said he’s only be willing to play DE. It’s just been reported he prefers that scheme, which is a huge difference. That Ox kid is a JAG. You can find other DL just as good as him.

IDK, I played DL for Aledo and his line of reasoning checks out.  I played a 1 tech.  The guys with OO's body type aren't moved quickly.  He reminds me of Poona and some of the other tree stumps that have played for Texas.

Just now, Not a Sock said:

We can’t operate like Clemson because Texas doesn’t have bagmen. Clemson can always ultimately buy a player at a position of nee Herman can’t do that so he has to have ace recruiters to off set the lack of bagmen. Right now Herman is purposely playing the game on hard mode.

Herman isn't the block there. He almost went to LSU for Christ's sake.