Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/03/open-post-tuesday-march-5th/

Breakdown of 2020 Offensive Targets
– CJ Vogel

Wanted to compile a target list by position for the 2020 recruiting cycle. We’ll begin on the offensive side of the ball and have a defensive one following this one.

Quarterback

• HUDSON CARD (Austin, TX)
  • Malik Hornsby (Fort Bend, TX)
  • DJ Uiagalelei (Bellflower, CA)

Texas obviously has their guy at the quarterback position with the commitment of Hudson Card that came in May of 2018. The flirting with five-star Cali QB DJ Uiagalelei likely won’t produce anything, as he is being pegged to Clemson, Oregon and USC. The Hornsby case is rather interesting as he has been linked to Texas A&M but has remained in contact with the Texas staff. When it is all said and done, I’d be quite surprised if Hornsby does not end up in College Station.

Running Back

• Zach Evans (Houston, TX)
  • Kendall Milton (Clovis, CA)
  • Ty Jordan (Mesquite, TX)
  • Jo’Quavious Marks (Atlanta, GA)
  • Jase McClellan (Aledo, TX)
  • Sam Adams II (Sammamish, WA)
  • Seth McGowan (Mesquite, TX)

Obviously the big dog of the group and main target is the nation’s No. 1 player, North Shore’s Zach Evans. Texas is keeping tabs on five-star Kendall Milton who has legit interest in the Longhorns, but with that said, it will take a lot to get Milton on board. Ty Jordan is real high on the Longhorns, but with Mookie Cooper already in the mix, it will be up to the staff to see if he ends up being a take. Texas is a longshot with Oklahoma commit Jase McClellan, Sam Adams II, Jo’Quavious Marks and Seth McGowan, who recently left Texas out of his top 10.

Wide Receiver

• MOOKIE COOPER (St. Louis, MO)
  • Troy Omeire (Sugar Land, TX)
  • Demond Demas (Tomball, TX)
  • Quentin Johnston (Temple, TX)
  • JJ Hester (Tulsa, OK)
  • Collin Sullivan (Austin, TX)
  • Johnny Wilson (Calabasas, CA)

Texas got on the board in the receiver department with the commitment of Mookie Cooper during Texas’ Jr. Day. Troy Omeire and Texas A&M commit Demond Demas are the state’s top two receivers, and even after landing a phenomenal WR class last year, Texas is all-in on landing at least one of the two. JJ Hester was on campus for the Junior Day last week and has interest, though it is always tough for Texas to steal recruits out of Tulsa. One of my favorite receivers in this class is Quentin Johnston, because he isn’t a big camp-goer, his ranking will be undervalued for most of the cycle. Texas is in contact with five-star WR Johnny Wilson out of Calabasas, though it will take a lot to get him away from the west coast.

Offensive Line

• LOGAN PARR (Helotes, TX)
  • JAKE MAJORS (Prosper, TX)
  • JAYLEN GARTH (Port Neches-Groves, TX)
  • Chad Lindberg (Clear Creek, TX)
  • Dameion George (Houston, TX)
  • Chris Morris (Memphis, TN)

Obviously the Longhorns got off to a scorching hot start with their 2020 offensive line recruiting. With three of their top targets already in the fold, the additions of two of the three remaining guys on the board would make this class a (5-run) grand slam. Texas is in a great spot for Chad Lindberg, who was spotted throwing up the Horns with commit Logan Parr at Future 50 last weekend. Stanford is the other school to watch for Lindberg. Dameion George is a teammate of 5-star RB Zach Evans and securing the “Great Wall of Austin” would certainly help the Longhorns in Evans’ recruitment. Though from Memphis, Chris Morris has real interest in Texas and has already taken an UOV to Austin last fall.

The Opening – Dallas Regional | Notebook
– Darius Terrell

“The Opening” camp series (no longer sponsored by Nike by the way) was held on Sunday, March 3, 2019, at The Star. Luckily for our readers at TFB, Will Baizer and I made the trip over to Frisco to have some eyes there for you. Here are some quick notes that I wrote down throughout the day:

I felt like 2021 FW All Saints OT Tommy Brockermeyer was easily the best lineman in attendance today. Brockermeyer is a lock to be a 5-star Offensive Tackle in my mind. UT fans will also be glad to find out that he put on his awesome performance while sporting a pair of shorts that happened to have the Longhorn logo on the knee.

(For a short video of Tommy Brockermeyer, please visit the Donor Board article)

2020 OL commits Logan Parr and Jake Majors were both present and participating today. Both players measured in at 6’4 and 280+ lbs. You’ll see later when we have the pictures up that while they have similar measurements, Parr and Major have very different body types and their weight distributed differently. Texas is off to a very nice start with these two slated to play on the interior.

(For a short video of Jake Majors and Logan Parr, please visit the Donor Board article)

2020 Mansfield Timberview DB and Texas offer Jalen Kimber is explosive. Kimber has long arms and broad, wide shoulders which indicate that his frame will be able to add weight easily. Texas has some options at Cornerback, I believe that Kimber belongs near the top of the list after seeing him today. Stud.

This was my first time seeing 2020 Carrollton Hebron Safety Darius Snow in person. Snow is listed everywhere in the 6’1-6’2 range, however, I would be very surprised to see that he measured over 6’0 at this event after seeing him next to some of the other DBs in attendance. Snow is definitely on the thicker side and I could see why his build has some believing that his future at the next level is at LB.

Met 2020 Lake Travis QB and Texas commit Hudson Card for the first time today. Card said that he measured in at 6’2.5 (an inch taller than last year) and 180 lbs. On top of being an excellent athlete, Card has a vibrant energy about him and other recruits were drawn to him and interacting with him regularly. Card is one of the leaders of what could be a banner year 2020 recruiting class for Texas. Texas got themselves a good one.

2020 Duncanville ATH Ja’Quinden Jackson was in attendance. Jackson is a physical specimen. He measured in at 6’3 220lbs and the ball was exploding off of his hand today. I believe that Jackson has as high an upside at the QB position as any player in the state of Texas, due simply to the fact that he hasn’t spent anywhere near as much time or received anywhere near the type of instruction at the position as many of his peers. Jackson can absolutely throw the football (he connected on some pretty “Out” routes today that l missed recording because I was watching, I’m sorry!) and we all know what he can do running it. I would caution anyone that believes that Jackson to Texas is a foregone conclusion. There is a long way to go in that recruitment.

2020 Bishop Dunne LB Brennon Scott has the build of an inside backer when you first look at him. I was very pleasantly surprised to see how fast Scott is in pursuit. The big fella gets a head of steam in a hurry. Scott is undoubtedly one of the top LB options available this year in-state.

Also, a couple interesting tidbits from the OU side of TFB: https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/open-post-tuesday-march-5th

***On Sunday evening, I spoke with weekend visitor, 2020 LB Josh White. Going into the visit, the Sooners were sitting behind a number of schools.

My feeling is that this isn’t the case anymore. He didn’t come out and say it but I think OU may have taken a lead here. Coach Odom and coach Grinch really sold him on the defense. Coach Odom has built a strong relationship with Josh and it’s paying dividends right now.

Josh says he will be back in Norman for a spring practice and then an official this spring/summer because he plans on making a decision later this summer.

I’ll be out of town this week. Going to be seeing a few out of region players. But I’ll type up my notes and quotes from Josh once I get settled.

***Finally had a chance to see Sooners 2020 DB, Josh Eaton play 7v7 Sunday and he did not disappoint.

My evaluation of him so far was based on speaking with him, people around him, seeing him play basketball, and seeing film. He was checking all the boxes.

He checked a big box yesterday.

A couple things I mention in this tweet stood out to me…

A couple of other things I’ll add to the above are:

– For such a big guy, he really can stop, settle himself and get started quickly again. Mirror guys really well and you don’t really see that as much in taller cornerbacks.

– He’s got some bite to him. He plays with an edge. He’s a nice guy off the field but far from it on the field. Was chippy and competitive without crossing any lines.

I spoke to him for a bit. The plan is to get up to Norman later this month or April at the latest. Again, he plans to go to Norman with the family.

Right now, I think the team to beat is LSU.

Reports on various players are all over the map right now.  Things will settle by the end of the spring and heading into the summer.  Josh White supposed to be back on campus this weekend with Omeire.  Never know how things might unfold.

Edited by Stampeder

2020 Duncanville ATH Ja’Quinden Jackson was in attendance. Jackson is a physical specimen. He measured in at 6’3 220lbs and the ball was exploding off of his hand today. I believe that Jackson has as high an upside at the QB position as any player in the state of Texas, due simply to the fact that he hasn’t spent anywhere near as much time or received anywhere near the type of instruction at the position as many of his peers. Jackson can absolutely throw the football (he connected on some pretty “Out” routes today that l missed recording because I was watching, I’m sorry!) and we all know what he can do running it. I would caution anyone that believes that Jackson to Texas is a foregone conclusion. There is a long way to go in that recruitment.

Man, I know we've got Card in the fold but I would go all in on this kid at QB.  North Shore couldn't stop him running in that state title game.  And that was when his shoulder was messed up and they knew he was going to run.  Think he would be stellar in our offense.  Let them fight it out.  Both he and Card can play elsewhere if need be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Man, I know we've got Card in the fold but I would go all in on this kid at QB.  North Shore couldn't stop him running in that state title game.  And that was when his shoulder was messed up and they knew he was going to run.  Think he would be stellar in our offense.  Let them fight it out.  Both he and Card can play elsewhere if need be.

It's not like we've been ignoring the kid. We've been super high on his list of favorites, and he's at Duncanville. It was only very recently that he decided he wanted to play QB, before he was all about being a WR or not caring. The QB switch-up has certainly reset the field, however. I think we stand pretty well, and if we can bring him in with a shot at QB and Card doesn't care, and he's willing to complete, then great. I'd say we still have a great shot, but it's going to be a difficult road to hoe if everyone else starts recruiting him as their QB1. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's not like we've been ignoring the kid. We've been super high on his list of favorites, and he's at Duncanville. It was only very recently that he decided he wanted to play QB, before he was all about being a WR or not caring. The QB switch-up has certainly reset the field, however. I think we stand pretty well, and if we can bring him in with a shot at QB and Card doesn't care, and he's willing to complete, then great. I'd say we still have a great shot, but it's going to be a difficult road to hoe if everyone else starts recruiting him as their QB1.  

All of this, and although he's a tremendous athlete, him being a bit meh on being QB until now doesn't exactly speak to him being a low-risk QB1 type in terms of mentality.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/03/open-post-tuesday-march-5th/

Reveal hidden contents

– CJ Vogel

Wanted to compile a target list by position for the 2020 recruiting cycle. We’ll begin on the offensive side of the ball and have a defensive one following this one.

Quarterback

Texas obviously has their guy at the quarterback position with the commitment of Hudson Card that came in May of 2018. The flirting with five-star Cali QB DJ Uiagalelei likely won’t produce anything, as he is being pegged to Clemson, Oregon and USC. The Hornsby case is rather interesting as he has been linked to Texas A&M but has remained in contact with the Texas staff. When it is all said and done, I’d be quite surprised if Hornsby does not end up in College Station.

Running Back

Obviously the big dog of the group and main target is the nation’s No. 1 player, North Shore’s Zach Evans. Texas is keeping tabs on five-star Kendall Milton who has legit interest in the Longhorns, but with that said, it will take a lot to get Milton on board. Ty Jordan is real high on the Longhorns, but with Mookie Cooper already in the mix, it will be up to the staff to see if he ends up being a take. Texas is a longshot with Oklahoma commit Jase McClellan, Sam Adams II, Jo’Quavious Marks and Seth McGowan, who recently left Texas out of his top 10.

Wide Receiver

• JJ Hester (Tulsa, OK)

Texas got on the board in the receiver department with the commitment of Mookie Cooper during Texas’ Jr. Day. Troy Omeire and Texas A&M commit Demond Demas are the state’s top two receivers, and even after landing a phenomenal WR class last year, Texas is all-in on landing at least one of the two. JJ Hester was on campus for the Junior Day last week and has interest, though it is always tough for Texas to steal recruits out of Tulsa. One of my favorite receivers in this class is Quentin Johnston, because he isn’t a big camp-goer, his ranking will be undervalued for most of the cycle. Texas is in contact with five-star WR Johnny Wilson out of Calabasas, though it will take a lot to get him away from the west coast.

Offensive Line

Obviously the Longhorns got off to a scorching hot start with their 2020 offensive line recruiting. With three of their top targets already in the fold, the additions of two of the three remaining guys on the board would make this class a (5-run) grand slam. Texas is in a great spot for Chad Lindberg, who was spotted throwing up the Horns with commit Logan Parr at Future 50 last weekend. Stanford is the other school to watch for Lindberg. Dameion George is a teammate of 5-star RB Zach Evans and securing the “Great Wall of Austin” would certainly help the Longhorns in Evans’ recruitment. Though from Memphis, Chris Morris has real interest in Texas and has already taken an UOV to Austin last fall.

– Darius Terrell

“The Opening” camp series (no longer sponsored by Nike by the way) was held on Sunday, March 3, 2019, at The Star. Luckily for our readers at TFB, Will Baizer and I made the trip over to Frisco to have some eyes there for you. Here are some quick notes that I wrote down throughout the day:

I felt like 2021 FW All Saints OT Tommy Brockermeyer was easily the best lineman in attendance today. Brockermeyer is a lock to be a 5-star Offensive Tackle in my mind. UT fans will also be glad to find out that he put on his awesome performance while sporting a pair of shorts that happened to have the Longhorn logo on the knee.

2020 OL commits Logan Parr and Jake Majors were both present and participating today. Both players measured in at 6’4 and 280+ lbs. You’ll see later when we have the pictures up that while they have similar measurements, Parr and Major have very different body types and their weight distributed differently. Texas is off to a very nice start with these two slated to play on the interior.

(For a short video of Jake Majors and Logan Parr, please visit the Donor Board article)

2020 Mansfield Timberview DB and Texas offer Jalen Kimber is explosive. Kimber has long arms and broad, wide shoulders which indicate that his frame will be able to add weight easily. Texas has some options at Cornerback, I believe that Kimber belongs near the top of the list after seeing him today. Stud.

This was my first time seeing 2020 Carrollton Hebron Safety Darius Snow in person. Snow is listed everywhere in the 6’1-6’2 range, however, I would be very surprised to see that he measured over 6’0 at this event after seeing him next to some of the other DBs in attendance. Snow is definitely on the thicker side and I could see why his build has some believing that his future at the next level is at LB.

Met 2020 Lake Travis QB and Texas commit Hudson Card for the first time today. Card said that he measured in at 6’2.5 (an inch taller than last year) and 180 lbs. On top of being an excellent athlete, Card has a vibrant energy about him and other recruits were drawn to him and interacting with him regularly. Card is one of the leaders of what could be a banner year 2020 recruiting class for Texas. Texas got themselves a good one.

2020 Bishop Dunne LB Brennon Scott has the build of an inside backer when you first look at him. I was very pleasantly surprised to see how fast Scott is in pursuit. The big fella gets a head of steam in a hurry. Scott is undoubtedly one of the top LB options available this year in-state.

I sweater gawd if we fuck up Ty Jordans recruitment.

Bit of a tangent here, but I think it's worth noting (especially with RHM's disappearance from the face of the earth last year and LJH's extremely underwhelming combine performance) that if we get a freak athlete in our slot receiver spot, Herman's offense is designed to create a TON of space for those guys.  We could see a huge uptick in explosiveness for our offense if/when the Joshua Moores/Jake Smiths/etc. of the world start to get into a rhythm with Sam.

7 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Bit of a tangent here, but I think it's worth noting (especially with RHM's disappearance from the face of the earth last year and LJH's extremely underwhelming combine performance) that if we get a freak athlete in our slot receiver spot, Herman's offense is designed to create a TON of space for those guys.  We could see a huge uptick in explosiveness for our offense if/when the Joshua Moores/Jake Smiths/etc. of the world start to get into a rhythm with Sam.

Was thinking something similar about the trajectory of the program.  Love what guys like LJH and Omenihu brought to the program, but it's not like we're rolling out freak athletes from our upperclassmen right now.  And we still won 10, played for the B12 'ship and knocked of UGa.  Give it one more year and the roster will stacked from top to bottom.  The future is definitely bright.

Beck stopped by duncanville a few weeks back and talked to him about starting out at Texas at QB if I remember correctly.  Seems like Herman and company see the same potential.  He’s a great QB2 take.  If he develops, awesome.  If not, he can play WR or defense.  Such a versatile athlete that can play multiple positions.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Beck stopped by duncanville a few weeks back and talked to him about starting out at Texas at QB if I remember correctly.  Seems like Herman and company see the same potential.  He’s a great QB2 take.  If he develops, awesome.  If not, he can play WR or defense.  Such a versatile athlete that can play multiple positions.  

He’s Bru McCoy level to me. Let him play 3 spots if he wants. QB/WR/OLB.

Edited by Scholz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

– CJ Vogel

Quarterback

Running Back

Wide Receiver

• JJ Hester (Tulsa, OK)

Offensive Line

– Darius Terrell

Does Darius Terrell work for TFB?  That's a blast from the past.