Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

more from IT recruiting notebook comments:

Spoiler

EN: Oh look, Ian found a safety to move to linebacker!

Not happening. As Coach illustrates, he’s a monster in coverage with man ability. 

Ian did nail the Bryson Washington part. They’re going to have an assembly line there with Jones, Sterns, Owens, and Washington if they get him. (Owens and Washington can play elsewhere while they wait in the wings)

I love how Bryson uses all of his length in coverage similar to Sterns in HS. Plenty of plays being made at full extension. 

McCutchin is a corner all the way with great feet, hips, and a 76 3/4” wingspan (according to him). Should be offered soon.

/

Q: Adimora too, unless you think he's playing nickel. Which... he probably could do really, really well.

EN: I have him in the boundary all day long. He’s going to be a DeShon Elliott turnover machine there.

(I wasn’t clear on my earlier comment but I meant field safety with Jones, then Sterns, then Owens)

/

EN: Given his other attributes Jahari is plenty fast for corner. Most encouraging speed indicator, other than tape, is a fairly early in the season 10.8 100.

I’d like to find out how many 100s he ran this year. Often those numbers drop as the season goes on. It’s quite possible he’s a 10.6 kid. Keep in mind these are only junior year times.

Kid has punt return upside too.

/

Wells on early commitments: Stone and the Brockermeyer Bros probably pledge first. (this is just part of a question)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

more from IT recruiting notebook comments:

Hide contents

EN: Oh look, Ian found a safety to move to linebacker!

Not happening. As Coach illustrates, he’s a monster in coverage with man ability. 

Ian did nail the Bryson Washington part. They’re going to have an assembly line there with Jones, Sterns, Owens, and Washington if they get him. (Owens and Washington can play elsewhere while they wait in the wings)

I love how Bryson uses all of his length in coverage similar to Sterns in HS. Plenty of plays being made at full extension. 

McCutchin is a corner all the way with great feet, hips, and a 76 3/4” wingspan (according to him). Should be offered soon.

/

Q: Adimora too, unless you think he's playing nickel. Which... he probably could do really, really well.

EN: I have him in the boundary all day long. He’s going to be a DeShon Elliott turnover machine there.

(I wasn’t clear on my earlier comment but I meant field safety with Jones, then Sterns, then Owens)

/

EN: Given his other attributes Jahari is plenty fast for corner. Most encouraging speed indicator, other than tape, is a fairly early in the season 10.8 100.

I’d like to find out how many 100s he ran this year. Often those numbers drop as the season goes on. It’s quite possible he’s a 10.6 kid. Keep in mind these are only junior year times.

Kid has punt return upside too.

/

Wells on early commitments: Stone and the Brockermeyer Bros probably pledge first. (this is just part of a question)

This snippet will be the rosetta stone of this age for scientists in 4000 years.

13 hours ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Thoughts on Jake Majors after seeing him today

Reveal hidden contents

—Seeing Majors today confirmed what I pretty much knew about him. He's really smart, he's really technical and he's really mean. That said, he needs to add strength to be able to anchor against bigger defenders. I don't really worry about that with the strength program Yancy McKnight has in place. Once he adds the weight, he has the skill to be a mauler from the inside. I really like his upside at center because of his feet and intelligence.

—I love going to practices to observe what guys are doing when they aren't taking reps. Are they engaged? Are they helping out other teammates? Majors was doing all of that. When he wasn't taking a rep, he was coaching younger players on technique and preparation. He was keeping the guys in the offensive line unit accountable when they were going half-speed or missed an assignment. That kind of leadership is hard to instill in a guy, and Majors takes to it very naturally.

—His coaches raved about him. Prosper's head coach Brandon Schmidt said that Majors is the hardest working guy on the team, and he can count on him to do things the right way even when coaches aren't watching. Majors was used as an example of great technique throughout practice, but his coaches weren't afraid to rip into him if he missed something. Guys who can take that criticism in front of a team who knows they are the best players can gain trust from their coaches and instill a certain culture in the rest of the group.

—I think the combo of Logan Parr and Jake Majors can have an impact like Lyle Sendelein and Kasey Studdard. Both are nasty maulers with great work ethic and the leadership ability to keep a unit in line. I'm not sure if their talent will match that level yet, but these are guys that Herb Hand will be able to depend on from the moment they hit campus.

InsideTexas Recruiting Notebook - 4/25/19

Reveal hidden contents

By: Justin Wells and Ian Boyd

This week’s Recruiting Notebook focuses on defensive back targets for the Longhorns. Starting in Houston, then north on I-45 to Arlington, a quick stop for an underclassman in Austin, then back to Arizona for an elite safety. The Notebook travels well.

Bryson Washington, safety - CE King (2020)

How he fits at Texas: Washington is an exceptional athlete with a SPARQ score of 109.53 thanks to a 4.63 40, 4.13 shuttle, and 38.1" vertical leap. He's an ultra twitchy athlete who's already 6-foot-2, 190 and room to get bigger and stronger. What's extra exciting about him though is that he's very comfortable in coverage and in space, unlike many other big, fast athletes that do their best work around the box. You can drop Washington back deep and he'll excel at the chess games with the quarterback over shading coverage and matching routes. Texas could play him at either safety spot and use him in that way but field safety would be a really good fit and there's only so many guys that have the speed and feel to play so far off the ball well and have a high impact. - Ian Boyd

Coach says: Strengths - Good height for position with plenty of room to add weight. Long arms. Long strider who shows good lower body explosiveness on leaping. Tracks the ball well in the air and attacks the ball. Good soft hands and eye-hand coordination. Excellent straight line speed. Has very impressive recovery and downfield chase plays on his highlights. Pass coverage shows quarters, thirds and plays some nickel/box safety. Could grow into a LB before he’s done. Some impressive form tackling on film and distributes power from lower body through the tackle. Scored TDs on four of his five INTs and has a nose for the end zone. Obviously instinctive once he recognizes the play. Numerous special teams highlights in punt block and returns. Areas for Improvement/Concern - Frequently will guess on opponent highlights and relies on excellent recovery skill to make up for it when he’s burned. Looks much better at S than CB. Seems a little stiff in the hips. Loses speed on change of direction. Lateral agility appears average. Acceleration isn’t as fast as I’d expect based on his track times. Relative lack of film showing him in run support and discipline seems inconsistent. Definitely will need some time in S&C.

How this affects Texas: The UT staff has made it clear to Washington he’s a priority. Coach Naivar is doing great here with Bryson and his family. It’s a Texas-OU battle before October. And Washington is the versatile type that can play both safety spots or nickel. Texas needs this kid and he knows it. They want two in this class and the 6-foot-2 defensive back is a natural fit. He'll OV to Texas the weekend of June 21st then announce his decision on July 4th. - Justin Wells

Jahari Rogers - CB, Arlington High (2020)

How he fits at Texas: Rogers is a Y2k remix, a wiry super-athlete who's playing QB these days because when an athlete like this can throw at all the QB run game becomes an easy weapon for generating offense. Like Mykkele Thompson, Rogers is a burner with true 4.4 speed with easy fluidity as well to change directions and solid size at 6-foot. His obvious projection is to cornerback where he should have the quickness to learn to stick to even the better wideouts. The physical side and route-covering skill set will probably need time to develop but Texas has recruited well enough ahead of him to offer him that time. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - Athleticism is readily apparent on film. Trusted by his coaches to be a playmaker with the ball in his hands. Shows above average acceleration and good short area quickness/change of direction. Does not lose much speed on change of direction. Lower body appears coordinated and smooth. Has the athleticism to play on the island while his frame fills in. Areas for Improvement/Concern - The vast majority of his film is as at QB (admittedly effective as a runner) without many DB highlights. Top-end measured speed is good. Needs the obligatory 15-20 lbs of freshman muscle.

How this affects Texas: The Duke Thomas comparison seems adequate as Rogers has some real shake in his hips with great feet for the athlete with 20+ offers. He’s in the top tier group of Texas corner targets for 2020. UT wants two here but will take three if one is Kelee Ringo. When Jalen Kimber pledged to Georgia, the dominoes started to fall. Rogers will visit UT in late June. The OU legacy might end up in burnt orange. - JW

Lathan Ransom - S, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ) (2020)

How he fits at Texas: Ransom frequently plays as an overhang right now and he's very physical on the edge and pretty active in underneath zone. At 6-foot-2, 200 he's got a big frame and a physical style of play. He's a good athlete with ball skills but the direction of his frame combined with his physical play and ability to scrape laterally and strike ball-carriers suggests he's probably a linebacker down the line. Moving inside his quickness will be a real plus and he'll be able to play closer to the ball where some of his disruptive skills can be leveraged. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - Good height with room to add bulk. Shows consistent athleticism with a pretty long stride. Shows both backpedal and stutter techniques. Stays in phase with receivers showing very little required effort to do so. Does not commit his hips too early and flips them smoothly on change of direction. Great short area agility and what looks like above average top-end speed. Very good with assignment-based football and shows good discipline as he attacks the run fit and pass pattern alike. Has a nice highlight interception where he is actually the defender in conflict! Equally representative film as a corner and safety. Looks very comfortable with zone or man concept at either position. Tremendous range for the safety position. Breaks on the ball quickly with pass breakups looking as good as his interceptions. Tracks the ball well and doesn’t panic after getting turned around. Soft hands and looks to score on every interception. Looks like a physical hitter. Suspect he will be a special teams contributor early on. Opponents highlights are always away from him. Areas for Improvement - Leads with the head too often. Several highlights against big TEs show him flailing at a tackle either without the commitment or without a plan.

How this affects Texas: With the staff auditioning prospects for the Raising Arizona sequel, Ransom is another elite talent that UT identified out-of-state. Ohio State might be the leader, and he’ll have taken officials to OU and LSU by next Monday. Naivar has a good start here, and Ransom is set to see Austin in May, and once that happens, we’ll get a good sense where the Horns stand. - JW

Latrell McCutchin - CB, Austin LBJ (2021)

How he fits at Texas: McCutchin will probably be the Anthony Cook of the 2021 class, he's already got an incredible feel for playing corner in quarters or man coverage and he closes on the ball with violence. He has great size for the position at 6-foot, 180, as a sophomore and some ball skills. His upside over the next few years as he hones his technique and grows bigger and stronger could be impressive and he'll be the type to get on the field sooner than later. He can play either corner position long-term. - IB

Coach says: Strengths - Slender and tall for a sophomore. Could be a monster physically before college leading to a switch to safety. Fairly good in his backpedal. Very instinctive and quick to diagnose plays. Shows a good amount of man and zone coverage on film. Uses leverage well and shows some degree of polish in man coverage skills. Quick out of his break. Locates the ball well and disrupts the receiver very well. Hands seem reasonably sure in catching the ball. Covers a lot of ground and very aggressive as a downhill player. More than willing tackler and aggressive in the run game. Has a potentially high ceiling if he's this good as a sophomore. Areas for Improvement - Suspect his measured times might be just “average” based on the film. Lower body explosiveness is not evident with limited leaping ability. Doesn’t consistently translate lower body strength into tackling power. Tackling form can be sloppy at times.

How this affects Texas: One of the state’s top prospects for 2021, the local athlete excels on the island. UT’s status with McCutchin improves by the day. He'll likely be the top cover corner in-state and UT is treating the local kid as such. He's been on campus plenty, and recently at the spring game, so the relationship is building, but this has a ways to go. - JW

“Rogers is a burner with true 4.4 speed”

/looks up Rogers 40 time and sees he ran a 4.65. 

Ian Boyd on recruiting, ladies and gentleman. 

IT

SPRING SUNSHINE

Lots of photosynthesis in this Humidor as the lines of communication were filled with burnt orange UV rays this week.

Despite a poor, meaningless spring game showing, some are starting to think Sam Ehlinger will grow into a NFL quarterback prospect. He still has a ways to go of course but the feeling is there's more NFL upside than the player he's often compared to in Tim Tebow. Ehlinger will certainly check the intangible boxes like Tebw but over the next two years they expect him to grow in his ability to dissect defenses through the air. Not surprising but good to hear.

Perhaps no player has grown more mentally or physically in the past year than Keaontay Ingram. I recall hearing how overwhelmed he was in his first few practices before his natural ability took over. A year later and he's an entirely different person -- much more assertive and carrying 15 pounds of armor. This should help him hand out the bumps and bruises rather than absorb them.

While the staff was excited to see Jordan Whittington before the spring they weren't entirely sure of what to expect. He lived up to their hopes and then some. Every hint of information we've heard about Whittington leads us to believe he isn't just good but special.

That brings us to Tavien Feaster, the newly announced Clemson transfer. It was a poorly kept secret he intended to depart from the National Champs. Before the spring we mentioned to some off-line there was a good chance he'd be hitting the portal. At the time we were pretty sure UT would make a full-throttled go of attaining him but after the spring, we're not so sure. We're still digging to see what Feaster's options are going to be. We're not saying UT is going to take a pass on pursuing him but we haven't heard they're going to go all-in. They have four running backs they like with three of them having the potential to be really good. That's a tough sell even if they do want Feaster.

Florida transfer linebacker Kylan Johnson is another name that's been asked about. Any time the roster has a glaring hole, you can rest assured the staff is going to look at all available options. If you don't hear of legit interest in Texas and Johnson, or any player for that matter, it doesn't mean the staff didn't kick the tires. They'd love to add a linebacker but it has to be a guy who helps otherwise they would rather develop the guys they have and that are coming in.

Schematically, talk of the staff looking to use heavy doses of 10 and 20 personnel is very real. This is probably another reason the staff is bullish on Ehlinger's pro potential as they look to open things up a little more on offense. Part of this is due to the running backs and receivers being very talented and versatile, part of it has to do with average at best tight end play. We even think there's a *chance* at least one of the freshmen tight ends will red-shirt. We'll see what Brayden Liebrock looks like when he arrives. He'll be the best receiving tight end the minute he hits campus so it might be tough to keep him off the field.

RECRUITING

2020 tight end recruiting is largely in the books -- at this time it looks like they'll be content to take Y-back (we'll use that term in stead of H-back since the H in this offense is the slot) Jaden Hullaby and look to 2021. They have two clear targets in the class and they'd likely take both in Spring Dekaney's Var'keyes Gumms and Lake Travis's Lake McRee. Both are good blockers as well as receivers and would make a devastating 12 personnel grouping.

2020 Fort Bend Marshall speedster Devon Achane was offered this week. He's similar to Mookie Cooper, and dare I say Ty Jordan, as a gadget slot. The offer is only curious because of the staff's continued pursuit of the former commit Cooper. Most likely scenario is it would be first come, first served between Achane and Cooper (as it should be) but the staff has a lot of time invested in Mookie. Achane will soon make up for lost time on campus visits after a busy track season. If nothing else, Achane is a good leverage point and contingency for Cooper but hopefully they go all out for him.

Texas is going to stay on cornerback Jahquez Robinson in the event Alabama doesn't have room but my intel states Robinson is still fairly open and considering options with UT being one of them. He may take an early official visit. If they knock that visit out of the park, the recruitment may get a tad bit more interesting than previously thought but there's a long way to go until NSD1, and if Robinson flips, I think it will be to a regional power like Florida or Georgia.

Next weekend will be one to watch as the staff hosts prospects who could become key cogs in the program's future in DL Vernon Broughton, DB Chris Thompson and OT Chad Lindberg. While those three will take official visits, Mookie Cooper will return to town on an unofficial. Funny enough, UT probably leads in that recruitment.

The staff gives a lot of thought to the timing of officials so when prospects take their visits is somewhat telling.

Three examples: 

Broughton wants to announce before the season so of course they'll get him in for an official visit. I feel like they're close to building an insurmountable lead. Broughton will also visit again this summer (maybe even twice) so even if the OV seems a little early there will be plenty of face-time before he decides.

Ja'Quinden Jackson's process might go the distance so they'll save his official visit for the fall even though they feel good about their long-term chances.

Lathan Ransom's official visit is a little trickier. They'd like to get him in for an unofficial visit (in May) and also an official visit, but if they get the feeling he could decide sooner, they'll have to press for an official and get what they can take. As of now Ransom wants to make an early senior season decision. Getting him to the LSU game might be the play but there's a risk he could pop before then.

Ransom's teammate, Bijan Robinson, is in a similar boat as an player they're trying to time perfectly for an official visit but he's already taken an unofficial to Texas.

OU... SUCKS?

Unfortunately not really but they could be in line to take a step back.

I'm not going to share the exact quote I got on the Sooners, but post-spring practice I can tell you the OU staff is concerned the offense is going to take a bigger than anticipated step back. And on defense, they think they're two years away from being able to do what Alex Grinch wants to do.

Dave Aranda was in a similar spot when he got to LSU so he only installed the very basics of his defense in year-one. I think that's what Grinch is doing. A key difference is Aranda had some dogs to work with while Grinch has a culture lacking in toughness.

Obviously OU is going to improve from the spring and who knows what they'll look like in October but their concerns are legitimate and extend to the top.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Wait you lose a Heisman QB, 4 OL, your best WR, and a couple more talented offensive pieces and you expect there to be no drop off. Lulz.

Yeah, but the last time we heard this kind of thing was from CTJ who said something about Alabama sucking balls or scrotum and we know how that turned out - no sucking at all.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-weekend-april-26th-28th/

Linebackers | Numbers & Targets | Breakdown
– Super K

With Josh White committed to LSU, I’ve been checking on the projected number of linebackers Texas plans on taking. Also, looking at the list of some of the current targets.

It sounds like the Horns are looking to take three to four linebackers in this class.

When I initially heard that, I was a little surprised they haven’t made more offers but as I looked at where things stand, it’s perhaps understandable (even though I’d personally be offering and pursuing more).

***Brennon Scott – This is a guy I think Texas eventually lands. Last I checked with him he said he still planned to take OVs to Oregon and Florida and didn’t sound like he was in much of a hurry to commit.

This is where I will note, I’d prefer to see more targets. I want to see Texas be able to put pressure on kids through action. Great example right now is what we see at Texas on the offensive line or at Oklahoma at the defensive backs position. When you’re landing kids, you’re pressuring kids. When you’re pursuing multiple targets, kids notice. They see other players at their position visiting.

Having said all that, I think Scott is likely to ultimately end up at Texas at some point down the road.

***Prince Dorbah – Here again I think Texas leads but there doesn’t seem to be any sense of urgency from Dorbah to commit.

If I’m a program, I’d love to have guys in the boat to help me recruit.

I don’t think you can count on Dorbah being one of those three or four guys, but I’d say it’s more likely than not.

***Justin Flowe – The 5-star linebacker has told us on multiple occasions he’d be visiting but has yet to do so.

You can’t withhold offers to other kids based on Flowe. To me, Flowe is an add a number guy. So if you get four guys in the boat, you take Flowe, anyway.

So, a guy like Flowe I don’t really consider when I’m looking at my vacancies vs. targets/offers.

***Mekhail Sherman – Another 5-star linebacker who Texas may get on campus but in my opinion you cannot make offer numbers contingent on him.

You are competing with everyone here.

***Josh White – He committed to LSU but I don’t think Texas is out of this one just yet.

If they can flip White, then I think you can withhold offers and use his commitment to apply a little pressure to someone like Scott.

But, as of right now, that isn’t the case.

***Sav’ell Smalls – To me, he’s in the same boat as Sherman and Flowe. Recruit him but don’t count on him. If you land him and you need room…make room.

***Damian Sellers – Sellers is Kelee Ringo’s teammate out at Saguaro. I haven’t spoken to Sellers as of late but plan to in the near future. I can’t comment definitively on Texas’ chances in this one but I’ve been told Texas is going to start pushing harder in this recruitment.

***Kourt Williams – This is an athletic linebacker out of California who will likely get a look from Texas this spring. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them extend an offer to Williams.

Texas would certainly be coming into the game late but I don’t think it’s too late. Last time I spoke with Kourt he was coming off some visits to places like Ohio State, Michigan, and Oklahoma. While he said he plans on returning to those schools for OVs, he did say that he has yet to go to a school where he felt in his heart, that’s where he needs to be. So, again, the door still seems to be open there.

With a desire to land three to four guys in this class, based on current intel, I’d like to see Texas offer two or three more guys this spring.

Texas on the Road | Ethan Pouncey
– Super K

A guy we’ve talked about a few times on here is 2020 DB, Ethan Pouncey (Winter Park, FL). Ethan is the brother of Texas WR, Jordan Pouncey.

Ethan has yet to receive an offer (I personally really like his film) but he tells me that Texas did stop by to see him earlier this week. Pouncey also said that the Horns told him they will be back to see him again in a week or two.

Vernon Broughton | Official Visit Update
– Super K

The mother of 2020 DL, Vernon Broughton tells me that Vernon will take his official visit to Texas on the big May 4th weekend.

Broughton actually made it to the Texas Spring Game and in speaking to some folks, I’m told that really helped Texas’ cause quite a bit.

I know there are a lot of folks who have just assumed Texas was Broughton’s leader but for a while I have maintained that I don’t believe that is the case.

Based on the information I’ve gathered, it sounds like LSU & Alabama  are very real threats to land Vernon. At one point, I would’ve added Texas A&M in that mix but I believe Texas has overtaken TAMU.

This will be a big weekend for Texas. It should give them a chance to catapult themselves to the top of the list.

Quick Hitter | The Next Big Weekend
– CJ Vogel

Following the great turnout for the Texas Spring Game the attention quickly turned to when the next big recruiting weekend would be for head coach Tom Herman and his staff would be.

At the moment it appears the next major recruiting weekend will be May 4th. Texas will host several commits and top targets on what will be a busy weekend in Austin.

Events in Austin May 4th Weekend:

JMBLYA – Circuit of the Americas
iHeart Country Music Festival – Erwin Center
Austin’s Hot Air Balloon Festival – Zilker Park
Texas has used JMBLYA in the past as an opportunity to get top recruits to visit the city and return to campus for an impromptu visit. The unique music festival is something on a select number of schools in the country can provide to recruits and Tom Herman and the current staff has made the most of it so far.

Last year, Brayden Liebrock, Tyler Johnson, Makiya Tongue, Derek Stingley Jr., and NaNa Osafo-Mensah were all on official visits at the time of JMBLYA.

Getting top targets and committed players together on one of the busiest weekend’s in Austin will truly showcase the endless amount of activities the city has to offer outside of football. Of course the visits have to go well behind the scenes for any of this to matter, but there is tons of reason for optimism with the current slate of guys coming in.

Official Visitors:

OL Jake Majors (Texas commit)
OL Logan Parr (Texas commit)
OL Jaylen Garth (Texas Commit) ***** (SAT that weekend)
OL Chad Lindberg (Top target)
CB Jahquez Robinson (Top target)
S Chris Thompson (Top target)
DE Vernon Broughton (Top target)
*** indicates probables

Princely Umanmielen | Quick-Update
– Super K

Texas stopped by to see 2020 DL, Princely Umanmielen (Manor, TX). I’m told Oscar Giles and Todd Orlando were the coaches who went to see the big man.

In checking with Princely and folks around him, Princely plans on taking his official visits before making a decision.

However, I get the sense that if a decision was made today, it would be Texas. But, Texas A&M and Oklahoma are, in my estimation, threats.

New In-State 2020 RB Offer

When I heard that Texas had stopped by Fort Bend Marshall earlier this week, I assumed that they were checking on the progress of 2020 QB Malik Hornsby.

I was wrong.

Texas is in the hunt for some big fish at the Running Back position in the 2020 class (Zach Evans, Bijan Robinson, Marshawn Lloyd, etc.), but Texas will be looking to land multiple backs in this cycle. The likelihood of landing multiple big fish is very slim and Texas has offered some guys (Ty Jordan, Kelvontay Dixon) that profile as change-of-pace options as well as receiving threats.

After seeing him in person, Texas extended an offer to Fort Bend Marshall 2020 ATH Devon Achane who fits into the category of RB2/Slot.

Achane brings something to the table that every program desires: speed.

He is a member of FB Marshall’s 4x100M relay team, which happens to currently hold the fastest time in nation (40.15) and he also has a 20.44 200M time under his belt this track season. Keep an eye on this one moving forward.

Texas makes top 3 for 2020 DB Target Kitan Crawford

Texas is looking to take at least four Defensive Backs in 2020. John Tyler (Tyler, TX) DB Kitan Crawford is among the Longhorns’ top targets in the secondary this cycle. He recently announced a Top 3 on Twitter, which included Texas, Tennessee, and Baylor.

Crawford has the feet, hips, and versatility to play both in the Nickel and at Outside Corner in college. He is also a member of John Tyler’s 4×100 relay team, which at one point early in the season, held the fastest time in the nation this year (40.66). We are big Kitan Crawford fans here at TFB and we continue to feel good about Texas’ chances in this race.

Mike Roach

I’d expect there to be another visitor that weekend, but I can’t say who yet. The visit plans aren’t set in stone, and the prospect asked us to wait to report. As soon as plans are confirmed and we are given the go-ahead, I can let the cat out of the bag.

Hmmm

• Like 1

It is slightly encouraging only that OU was such total dogshit on defense that they needed to be superhuman on offense to win. So they don't have to regress much to lose a few more games. But it is hard to imagine their defense being that bad again this year.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

It is slightly encouraging only that OU was such total dogshit on defense that they needed to be superhuman on offense to win. So they don't have to regress much to lose a few more games. But it is hard to imagine their defense being that bad again this year.

Yeah Grinch might be a mediocre recruiter, but the dude can coach. The question is whether the way Riley structures his program will allow him to work.

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah Grinch might be a mediocre recruiter, but the dude can coach. The question is whether the way Riley structures his program will allow him to work.

Can he though?

His coaching acumen is not some proven commodity. He has a short resume with minimal DC experience. He could very wel turn out to be a shit coach and recruiter, and it’s not like Riley sets his DCs up for success.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I'm with Macklin on this. Dude has coordinated (on his own), I think, zero top 25 defenses.