Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

There will be heavy pressure on Umainlymainlyman to fish or cut bait this summer. He’s not must-have, apparently and the list of alternatives, starting with Blidi, is attractive.  Maybe I’m just Danny Glover and getting too old for this shit, but the strategy of “you live near us, you need to commit dammit!” feels like a very Mack Brownian maneuver. Given that I like Blidi more, I don’t give that much of a shit, but I do think Oscar Giles isn’t worth the heat of my piss as a recruiter. 

giphy.gif

^^^  ctj   ^^^

• Haha 2

Here's some 9.95er Bobby Burton entertainment.... eh Cow dung 💩

"Friday"

As we all wait for an official announcement from Bru McCoy on whether he intends to stay at Texas or leave and head back to USC, I think it's important to contemplate the following:

- If McCoy leaves, what would the real consequences be?

1. From a 2019 season perspective, McCoy would be a real loss from a depth perspective. He wasn't going to beat out Collin Johnson. he might have become more of a go-to option in the latter half of the year when injuries are sure to mount. But he wasn't expected to be a focal piece of the offense.

Can Marcus Washington, Brennan Eagles or Malcolm Epps play a similar role? Sure. But McCoy was a highly rated prospect for a reason. He runs routes extremely well, has good hands and an understanding of how to create separation downfield despite not being 4.4 fast.

I think his loss would hurt the explosiveness of the offense. Is it an insurmountable one in year one? No.

But as a sophomore and junior (in 2020 and 2021), I would have expected him to be one of the two or three best receivers in the Big 12. That's an impact caliber player. That's how good he is and the type of loss he may be.

2. From a recruiting perspective, if McCoy leaves, I think recruiting in Southern California will take a hit.

McCoy isn't just a name out there. He was the state's no. 1 or 2 prospect overall. His actions will carry weight beyond his own, even if it means Texas assistants must overcome those objections and concerns on the recruiting trail. What looked like a very fruitful foray into Southern California in December/January could be less so with McCoy's departure and De'Gabriel Floyd's spinal stenosis diagnosis.

3. Much has been made of the "tough" culture Tom Herman has fostered at Texas so that the Horns would never be seen as soft mentally or physically like they were at times under both Mack Brown (moreso physically) and Charlie Strong (moreso mentally).

Perhaps that tough culture that Herman desires doesn't allow for a head coach to catch issues like McCoy's from bubbling up to the top.

Perhaps we see Herman tweak his culture gameplan, if only slightly, to better manage the new realities of college football's transfer portal era.

If Herman doesn't, McCoy likely won't be the last one we see entering his name so quickly.

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Burton's take is terribad

Beyond.

Just now, Fud said:

What if Washington is better than Bru?

Could be the case but Coach's feelings are likely hurt, he has invested a lot into socal and this will be a big hit to his efforts. 

3 hours ago, NoName said:

IT: Fridays in the Humidor: 5/31/19

Hide contents

By: Justin and Eric

Putting this Bru McCoy puzzle together isn't the easiest thing to do. There are a few reasons for that, the main ones being with it coming out of left field it's hard to know the exact reason why he's leaving. If he's homesick he hadn't mentioned it before. If he doesn't like the coaches or atmosphere, he hadn't mentioned that either. Another factor making it difficult is the McCoy's seemingly loose affiliation with the truth that was on display in January.

There are a couple of rumors circulating that seem to be far-fetched, especially in light of competing rumors. This is getting dumber than checking on Ferris Bueller's health, especially with us at the end of the telephone game.

Neither rumor paints Bru in a particularly good light (especially if they're untrue) but it may come across better to an 18-year-old football player than admitting homesickness.

But perhaps the oddest thing from this week was Tom Herman, going against type, getting on a plane to try and coax McCoy back to Austin. With him was Sam Ehlinger who was also going against type. These were surprising actions given what we know about these two. We checked on that.

IT: Are you as surprised as I am that Herman flew out to LA to talk to Bru?
Source: That doesn't sound like him, I'm sure that's Del Conte telling him to go out there.
IT: What purpose does that serve?
Source: It serves a couple purposes, one it's a fact-finding mission. They need to get to the root of why he's leaving. It also shows that Texas cares about its student-athletes. McCoy leaving after one semester for whatever reason doesn't exactly look great.

Interesting and plausible given what we know of the personalities of Herman and CDC.

We expect McCoy's name to surface in the portal today but we might not put the entire puzzle together until long after people care about it.

When it comes to perception, it may not have been the greatest week for Texas given the Bru-ha ha ha ha! and missing the cut for Zach Evans' not-so-real top-five. That type of perception lacks substance and is fleeting. In fact, the staff will be able to turn that around in short order.

June 1

WR Johnny Wilson, Calabasas (Calabasas, CA) Unofficial: The five-star from Cali is finally making his long-anticipated trip to Austin. He'd mentioned as far back as January that he was going to visit Texas, so him following through is a nice sign. He holds offers from everybody, but Oregon, Ohio State, and Washington are the teams to watch here. This visit will serve as a formal introduction to the Texas staff, campus, and feel. This will get the formalities out of the way before his official visit a couple of weeks later.

S Lathan Ransom, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ) Unofficial: Like Wilson, the elite safety from Arizona is also visiting twice in June. The difference is he'll return on June 14th. Again, they'll look to get the formalities out of the way but there's also some hope that Ransom and his family will fall in love with Austin over the course of their visit as they stay with family friends.

June 4

DE Philip Blidi, Portales (Portales, NM) Unofficial camp visit: The 6-foot-4, 245-pound defensive lineman is the epitome of under-the-radar. Currently holding six offers, with Tulsa as the top school, if Blidi performs well in Austin, an offer is probably close. This is an interesting situation in that if he were from Texas he'd have 20 offers and wouldn't feel the need to camp. It's a bit of a bonus for the staff that they'll get to see him. If he comes across as well in person as he does through messages he could emerge as more than just insurance for Princely Umanmielen.

June 14

S Lathan Ransom, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ): Official: It's a bit odd that he and his teammate Bijan Robinson are both visiting Texas and Ohio State on opposite weekends. You'd think that was by design and maybe even a sign they wanted to get independent thoughts and compare notes. That may be the case but as of now, LSU is the team to beat. One college coach who works out-of-region told us that Ransom says privately he's all LSU. There's definitely ground to make up but it's doable.

June 21

RB Bijan Robinson, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ) Official: Here's a wise kid with no Twitter. His Instagram (much less of a cesspool) bio simply says: JUST BE A NICE PERSON. He's the owner of a positive attitude, a good work ethic, and those close to him in Tucson think Texas is the lead dog. An added bonus is he's one of the best running backs in the country. Ohio State is making a push so the Horns won't get him without a fight. This official visit could be the single most important in the 2020 class. If Texas does miss on Bijan for some reason you won't see any disparaging quotes about the school, but there's reason for optimism here.

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin (Sugar Land, TX) Official: He's set to see LSU and A&M in the two weekends before the 21st. We still feel like the Bayou Bengals have the lead, but his mother likes Texas and the staff will make its best and likely final pitch on the official. If not, Quentin Johnston might be ready.

WR Johnny Wilson, Calabasas (Calabasas, CA) Official: UT gets him on campus again for an official on June 21st. It's an easy sell: Watch Collin Johnson, fellow Californian and long-legged boundary wide receiver. Johnson could serve a positive counter-balance to any negativity stemming from the McCoy situation. Wilson is a picture perfect fit and the staff has two visits to hammer that home.

LB Justin Flowe, Upland (Upland, CA) - MAYBE

LB Kalel Mullings, Milton Academy (Milton, MA) - MAYBE

LB Len’Neth Whitehead, Athens Academy (Athens, GA) – MAYBE

CB Kitan Crawford, John Tyler (Tyler, TX) Official: When LSU offered OU pledge, Dontae Manning, it signaled to the Sooners staff they might lose him. So they called Crawford, whose stock is rising. He'll visit Norman for an unofficial on Saturday. He might visit Baylor in two weeks as well. Remember, he told us he wanted to take a few visits. Texas gets the last at-bat and no school has come close to putting forth the effort coach Washington and coach Warehime have in this pursuit. I still think its orange house.

CB Kelee Ringo, Saguaro (Scottsdale, AZ) – MAYBE

CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington High (Arlington, TX) Official: The four-star flirted with Florida recently, but at the end of the day it looks like Texas might be the spot. He's a high priority for the staff and he knows it. The high school quarterback with 30+ offers might be one of those that jumps in this summer and closes up shop.

S Bryson Washington, C.E. King (Houston, TX) Official: Texas vs OU. Red River Shootout. Herman vs Riley. He's seen the dark side - Norman - now he's looking towards the light. I think UT can get him with a great visit, especially being around other defensive back targets that UT is in good standing with.

Unconfirmed Dates

DT Perrion Winfrey, Iowa Western C.C. (Council Bluffs, IA): One of the nation's top JUCO defensive tackles dropped a Top 8 last week that included Texas. He's scheduling a visit within the month, but also wants to see Alabama, LSU, Florida State, and Nebraska. This guy has size and talent, but it'll be interesting to see who pushes for him this summer.

LB Sav’ell Smalls, Kennedy Catholic (Burien, WA): I believe he'll trip to Austin at some point. It remains to be seen when. He's tentative for a summer visit.

Being Moved to the Fall

DE Alfred Collins, Cedar Creek (Bastrop, TX): Collins was originally going to take an official visit to Texas in June but it sounds like the staff will wisely bump this visit to the fall. Once he stated he was going to take in A&M vs Alabama in October this move needed to happen. UT is in a good spot as of today. They just have to keep it that way. If Texas can land Collins and Vernon Broughton, you'd get the two best d-linemen in the state. Hopefully half of that duo is committed before August.

Finally

Texas is still working on building a relationship with OU commit Nathan Anderson (OT, Frisco Reedy). He seems pretty receptive but they might have someone ahead of him.

This maybe a little Mackish, or more than likely my opinion has been swayed due to all the Evans drama, but I would much rather have Robinson than Evans. Not only is Robinson a 5* recruit in an area of desperate need, his charming characteristics lead me to believe he’d be a great leader in the locker room, compared to someone like Evans. Can’t wait for Drayton to fuck this up. 

• Like 4

Just now, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

This maybe a little Mackish, or more than likely my opinion has been swayed due to all the Evans drama, but I would much rather have Robinson than Evans. Not only is Robinson a 5* recruit in an area of desperate need, his charming characteristics lead me to believe he’d be a great leader in the locker room, compared to someone like Evans. Can’t wait for Drayton to fuck this up. 

Lucky for us Tim Beck seems to be the front man on this one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ok. Caol Hook Em! said:

I just want Robinson and Ringo to commit together on the same day so we can send out some WRTS flyers in CS. 

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

According to the Arkansas 247 page Vernon Broughton is taking an OV this weekend/right now.  He's already locked in one to tOSU and it's been assumed he'll take ones to Bama' and LSU, so no aggy OV???

He's said UT/tOSU/Bama/LSU were getting one and the last one was down to A&M/Arkansas, so yeah it looks like A&M got locked out.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

He's said UT/tOSU/Bama/LSU were getting one and the last one was down to A&M/Arkansas, so yeah it looks like A&M got locked out.

Wasn't he the one some Aggy poster claimed was a silent commit to them a couple weeks ago?

3 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Wasn't he the one some Aggy poster claimed was a silent commit to them a couple weeks ago?

Some random goofball poster on Texags.  Probably the equivalent of Lotushorn on 247.

I'm also surprised this hasn't made it to the gigem' board ( yet ) to cause panic.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

Just now, golfclap said:

Robinson has been recruited from the fucking drop by Tim Beck and it is 100% not an accident. 

Coach had a chance to make staff changes and decided not to, any misses this year and next are squarely on him. He has at least 4 guys who have not held their end, hope they prove him right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Coach had a chance to make staff changes and decided not to, any misses this year and next are squarely on him. He has at least 4 guys who have not held their end, hope they prove him right.

And this is why everyone is on a 1 yr contract. 

• Like 1

Drayton, Warehime, need to go yesterday.  Put Mehringer on notice or get rid of him.  He misses on all the instate guys and we seem to have a lot of WRs on the roster not like him.

Bring in a second DL coach to help Giles.  Move Meekins to TE.  Hire Beaty at WR coach and bring in a stud recruiter as a Rb coach.  Keep Beck but have Beaty run your offense.

Edited by victory88

17 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Drayton, Warehime, need to go yesterday.  Put Mehringer on notice. 

Bring in a second DL coach to help Giles.  Move Meekins to TE.  Hire Beaty at WR coach and bring in a stud recruiter as a Rb coach.  Keep Beck but have Beaty run your offense.

How Coach manages Mehringer and Warehime will show us a lot in his development as a leader, these two are proteges and he made big bets bringing them along then not being able to dump them after year 1 then decided not to dump them after year 2. 

Edited by Goodman

5 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looking at @Machinator recent updated roster and current Srs., I counted 17 spots for this class right now.

If not counting Bru, there are 17.

12 seniors, which currently includes Braun, who may or may not RS.

Texas has brought in 27 counters in the 2019 class, I'm not sure if Bru still counts a counter I believe he does, and 10 EE's. I think they had room for 6-7 to count towards 2018, so that would put the class size around 23-24.

23 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Drayton, Warehime, need to go yesterday.  Put Mehringer on notice or get rid of him.  He misses on all the instate guys and we seem to have a lot of WRs on the roster not like him.

I don't think Beaty has been an OC before. He was the WR coach at A&M when KU hired him. So Herm would still need to bring someone in to be the playcaller/OC. Major Applewhite maybe?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Fuck that. I understand the idea but that is no way to build championship culture. Trust is a two way street. Guys like Duane Akina, Robbie Caldwell -- hell, even Terry Price and Herb Hand's of the world are different than the Drew Mehringer's. Jason Washington is deserving of far more than a constant 1 year contract renewal. He's not fucking Maurice Linguist FFS. Same with Craig Naivar. 

giphy.gif

31 minutes ago, victory88 said:

4 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I don't think Beaty has been an OC before. He was the WR coach at A&M when KU hired him. So Herm would still need to bring someone in to be the playcaller/OC. Major Applewhite maybe?

Herman should continue running the offense himself

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Think Beck either stays OC or gets a co-HC tag and Fedora gets the OC gig

I can dig that.  Fedora coached RB/WRs during his time at Florida.  Keep Beck as QB coach and Fedora As OC.  Drayton needs to go.  What the hell does he bring to this program?  It’s not like our RBs have balled out and his recruiting sucks ass.  His RB rotation our first year made me want to rip my hair out.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Think Beck either stays OC or gets a co-HC tag and Fedora gets the OC gig

https://247sports.com/college/miami/LongFormArticle/Miami-Hurricanes-Football-Why-Larry-Fedora-Would-Be-A-Good-Offensive-Coordinator-Hire-127159146/#127159146_7

Spoiler

New Miami Head Coach Manny Diaz is searching for an offensive coordinator and Larry Fedora has emerged as a candidate to know. 

Diaz has been clear with what he wants from his offensive coordinator at Miami: he wants an aggressive, simplistic system that will get the most of the South Florida speed that the local football scene produces. 

“If you think about what we created on defense and what we are on defense, it would only stand to reason to create the same thing on offense,” Diaz said on ESPN’s Championship Drive on Tuesday morning.

“You want a defense that is aggressive and attacking and that causes problems for the other team. A defense that is simple enough that allows the players to play fast. Well, philosophically then you should want your offense to be the same way. We want something that is aggressive and attacking and that creates mental stress for the defense we are playing.”

Fedora, 56, has a 79-62 record as a head coach. His peak season for the Tar Heels came in 2015 when UNC went 11-3 while winning the Coastal Division. In the following years, however, Fedora failed to maintain that success. In 2016, UNC went 8-5. In 2017, the Tar Heels went 3-9. The 2018 season was his last and he posted a 2-9 season before being received of his duties.

That 2015 North Carolina offense finished the season ranked 18th nationally in total offense at 486 yards per game while averaging 40.7 points per game, which ranked ninth best in the country. That season, Fedora had a quarterback in Marquise Williams that threw for 3,072 yards and 28 touchdowns while also having a running back in Elijah Hood that rushed for 1,463 yards and 17 touchdowns.

Read on as we take a closer look at Fedora and why he would be a good fit for what Diaz wants in his future coordinator. 

FEDORA IS AN INNOVATOR AND IS ANALYTIC DRIVEN

Fedora is a football nerd that is always interested in statistics and coming up with new ideas.

Fedora has built a play-by-play database over his coaching career that dates back nearly 25 years. In standard down-and-distance plays – 1st-and-10, 2nd-and-6, etc. – there’s a variety of play calls available, albeit determined by the opposing defensive scheme. When building a game plan, Fedora leans on that database to put his calls together.

The goal is simplicity. Carry two or three concepts into a game that can be run out of multiple formations and that can answer multi-coverage looks, and that’s often enough to keep defenses off guard when paired with tempo.

In situational down-and-distance plays, however, there’s an expectation of snaps for every occasion. At a coaching clinic in Charlotte, N.C. in 2013, Fedora detailed how his offenses can expect to encounter 15 third downs per game – three 3rd-and-shorts (1-2 yards), six 3rd-and-mediums (3-7) and six 3rd-and-longs (8+). The goal is to convert 75 percent of 3rd-and-shorts, 45 percent of 3rd-and-mediums and 25 percent of 3rd-and-longs. Those data points shape UNC’s game prep as well.

During Fedora’s first stint as an offensive assistant at Baylor in the early 1990s, he began tracking nearly every statistic he could get his hands on. As the years passed by and he eventually moved on to Air Force in 1997, that database grew and began to highlight trends in the college game. At the same time, Fedora watched as opponents stacked the box to counter Fisher DeBerry’s triple option. Despite Air Force’s success – the Falcons were 22-4 during his two-year stint in Colorado Springs – Fedora pushed his Hall of Fame head coach to add a forward pass to take advantage of defensive schemes designed to stop the run.

While coaching wide receivers primarily to block at the Air Force Academy, Fedora was constructing a new offensive scheme in his downtime. He paid particular attention to Tulane, where offensive coordinator Rich Rodriguez had installed a no-huddle, up-tempo system for head coach Tommy Bowden. It was the first of its kind in the college ranks, and it captivated Fedora, who was about to get his first opportunity to run his own offense at Middle Tennessee State in 1999.

Fedora followed Rodriguez’s lead in emphasizing tempo in a no-huddle setting, and he also continued tracking every play of every game to provide insight into what worked and what didn’t. It was an entry into advanced metrics that wouldn’t become mainstream until more than a decade later.

Fedora’s first head coaching job came at Southern Miss in 2008 and his first offensive coordinator was Darrell Wyatt, who had primarily worked in the Big 12 during the previous decade. After years of relying on his fellow offensive assistants for suggestions and feedback, Fedora kept that process in place, brainstorming in the offensive meeting room throughout the week to set up a detailed plan for game day. Wyatt wasn’t so much the offensive coordinator as he was the bullhorn of the coaching staff, signaling in predetermined play calls that were discussed in between series. 

Fedora is willing to listen to new ideas with offensive football and will ask for plenty of input from his staff.

A LOOK AT FEDORA’S PHILOSOPHY

Fedora’s offensive philosophy is built upon a foundation of core principles.

A Fedora offense will primarily utilize 11 personnel - consisting of one running back, one tight end and three wide receivers – due to his belief that an A-back type running back can be more productive than a traditional fullback.

It is an attack that will rely on verbal cues and hand motions from the quarterback to eliminate the need for a huddle, which takes away the ability of a defense to regroup. It will also be multi-tempo, pushing the pace to tire out the defense at certain times, while in others, hurrying to the line and forcing the defense to set its position, only then to back off and check the sideline for an alternative play, if necessary. The intent is to keep the defense uncomfortable and force the defensive coordinator to stay basic to prevent breakdowns, which then allows Fedora’s offense to operate against a simpler look. And the final objective is an effort to spread the field laterally to create vertical seams.

In order to execute the no-huddle approach and click on tempo, the players must be able to process their directives quickly without sacrificing methods of attack. Fedora addressed that aspect by leaning heavily on run-pass options (RPO), which are plays in which runs are paired with passing concepts to give the quarterback a choice to make during his pre-snap read. If a defense stacks the box to stop the run, the quarterback will choose the passing concept to either the play side or back side. If the defense takes a man out of the box, the quarterback will choose the run play, which is aided by an offensive line already run blocking. This schematic wrinkle helps Fedora maximize his offensive balance without overburdening his players with concepts.

Ultimately, Fedora’s offense is built on a simple philosophy that will take advantage of whatever look a defense gives.

”It's just trying to take advantage of what the defense gives you,” Fedora told InsideCarolina.com. “I've always believed if a team says we're going to stop you from running the football, they can commit enough people to stop you from running the football. If they decide they're going to commit enough people to stopping the pass, they can commit enough people to stop the pass. Very seldom can they do both at the same time. There are things to take advantage of. You just have to be willing to take advantage of what they're giving you."

BUILDING AN OFFENSE TO THE STRENGTH OF HIS PERSONNEL

Fedora won’t put his players in positions where they don’t have the ability to execute what is being asked. Fedora builds his system and game plan around the strengths of his quarterbacks.

When he was the offensive coordinator at Middle Tennessee, Fedora coached a quarterback by the name of Wes Counts that led the NCAA in pass completion percentage (72.6) in 2001. According to InsideCarolina.com, Fedora detailed in a coaching clinic in Charlotte, North Carolina how 88 percent of Counts’s passes were completed into the boundary because he didn’t have the arm strength to consistently make throws down or even across the field. Defenses, however, never adjusted, insisting on defending decoys to the field side which thereby allowed Counts to exploit his preferred area of attack.

In 2015, Fedora built an offense around his big, physical quarterback, Marquise Williams, who could run the ball at 6-feet-2 and 225 pounds totaled 938 rushing yards and 13 rushing touchdowns that year.

“Quise was a physical guy,” Fedora said of that style of quarterback. “When he ran the ball, he was like a big running back back there. You didn’t have to worry about Quise getting hurt. He never got hurt. He took some dang licks, and he delivered some licks. That was his running style. That’s who he was. And so once I learned that about him, I quit worrying about him. I didn’t need to worry about him. He’s going to take care of himself.”

THE ABILITY TO ADJUST WITHIN A GAME

8660606.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Jim Hawkins/Inside Carolina)

Fedora’s approach of keeping his play-calling simple and taking what a defense gives him allows for his offenses to make easy in-game adjustments.

“I’m not going to just bang my head against the wall,” Fedora has said in the past. “If a team says we’re going to stop the run, then I’m going to throw it. And if a team says we’re going to stop the pass, then I’m going to run it.”

If a game plan doesn’t work or has to be thrown out the window, Fedora’s system can easily adapt to what a defense will allow. Miami has the balanced talent at the skill positions to execute this philosophy at a high level. From receiver, to running back, to tight end, the Hurricanes have plenty of options to feed at the skill positions.

The inability to adjust a game plan during a game was a big issue for the Mark Richt led attack in 2018. Once defenses had an understanding on his scheme, they didn’t have much trouble containing it.

BALANCED PRODUCTION IS THE GOAL

Fedora’s offenses are balanced with their ability to produce in both the run and passing game.

Fedora’s offense has averaged 235 or more passing yards and 180 or more rushing yards per game six times in his 10 years as a head coach. His system has averaged more than 425 yards of total offense and more than 30 points per game in six seasons at Chapel Hill.

“To me, that's always been the premise of this offense: take advantage of what the defense gives you and be balanced. Balance is not throwing for 200, rushing for 200. That's not what I'm talking about. It's just take advantage of what they give you. You've got to be balanced.”

In 2016, Fedora showed what he can do with a first round NFL Draft pick type of talent at quarterback. Mitch Trubisky threw for 3,748 yards with 30 touchdowns and six interceptions while completing 68 percent of his passes. Trubisky also rushed for 308 yards and five touchdowns that year.

Fedora also firmly believes in running the ball, which is an important principle for the Miami Hurricanes’ tradition of churning out quality backs to the NFL level since the 1970s. Fedora’s offense won’t just be appealing for pass catchers, it will also be highly attractive for talented running back prospects as well.

In 2012 former UNC running back Gio Bernard flourished in Fedora’s system, totaling 1,228 yards and 12 touchdowns and in 2015, Elijah Hood ran for over 1,400 yards and 17 touchdowns.

FEDORA HAS PROVEN PRODUCTION WHEN THE TALENT IS THERE

7653692.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Jim Hawkins/Inside Carolina)

Wherever Fedora has had a significant hand in the offense, that offense has produced in big ways.

His first offensive coordinator stint at Middle Tennessee from 1999-2001 yielded 43 school records. His 2004 offense at Florida led the SEC in six statistical categories before his 2006 Oklahoma State offense finished as one of two teams nationally to average more than 200 yards both on the ground and through the air.

After setting 35 school records at Southern Miss in 2010, Fedora’s first UNC squad set 40 new records while tying eight others.

Fedora’s 2015 offense, which carried the Tar Heels to an 11-1 regular season record and their first ACC Championship appearance, broke school records for yards gained (6,817), yards per play (7.28) and points scored (570) in a season.

CONCLUSION

Title/Alt Text(Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)

It does seem like Fedora would be a strong personality and culture fit with Manny Diaz.

29COMMENTS

Both coaches are aggressive and both coaches are very analytically driven. That combination means that they will take their chances and be aggressive, but they will also take those chances with the right opportunity calls for it.

Diaz has said he wants to bring in an offensive coordinator that will be a reflection of his defensive philosophy: fast, physical, and aggressive. Fedora would fit that billing and he has the experience as a play-caller to get the most out of UM’s skill talent on the offensive side of the ball.

On paper, the hiring of Fedora would be a near perfect fit.

Edited by Bigpoppapump
  • Like 1

I don't know what WR @Fud is referring to, but Omeire is clearly trending away from us, and this might be a case of external circumstances saving the coaches from themselves. In the same vein I wouldn't mind Mookie committing elsewhere this summer. He's a legitimate talent, but IMO our odds in winning this national battle are lower than some of the more sunshine-y $9.95 are saying. Go all in an Achane and find some other agile speedster to keep warm; they're not that tough to find in Texas.

Princely was always the non-essential of the Big 3, I'm fine with passing/missing on him, however it turns out. In general I feel we should try whenever possible to save a spot for one late bloomer each on OL/DL except when the state is swimming in talent and we have a chance to clean up.

Safety could get interesting if Washington goes north of the Red River and LSU holds their lead on Ransom. Not hard to find good safeties in state, though.

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't know what WR @Fud is referring to, but Omeire is clearly trending away from us, and this might be a case of external circumstances saving the coaches from themselves. In the same vein I wouldn't mind Mookie committing elsewhere this summer. He's a legitimate talent, but IMO our odds in winning this national battle are lower than some of the more sunshine-y $9.95 are saying.

That's the sense I've been getting and, based on the opinions of those here, does not seem like a big loss, though the Aggys will undoubtedly frame it as a major win. 

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Go all in an Achane and find some other agile speedster to keep warm; they're not that tough to find in Texas.

Like K. Dixon, no?

SIAP

TFB Open Post is up: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/05/open-post-weekend-may-31st-june-2nd/

Some of it is old, dead horse stuff about Bru and Zach Evans. Not so subtle hints that JQJ lives in a burnt orange house. One segment includes @golfclap ghostwriting as Super K on RB recruiting. A short interview with Jake Majors and some uninteresting bits on Joshua Eaton (I don't think he's a take).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

That's the sense I've been getting and, based on the opinions of those here, does not seem like a big loss, though the Aggys will undoubtedly frame it as a major win. 

Like K. Dixon, no?

I think Omeire is an LSU lean now. Althought LSU = SEC = advantage A&M, so I guess you're still right

Dixon is another one I think we should make room for no matter what.