Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Nahlin says Blidi (the DL from New Mexico) is a potential grades risk, which is why the offer hasn't come yet.

Apparently that's the issue with the OL from Carthage, too (Crawford, I think).

That's very interesting because New Mexico public schools are known for being the suck.

SIAP, IT recruiting notes from yesterday.

LATHAN RANSOM

The elite 2020 safety from Tucson (AZ) Salpointe Catholic made an unofficial visit to Austin last weekend. It was something he and his family had planned for a while. Co-DC/safety coach Craig Naivar has done a tremendous job building a relationship with the Ransoms, but they had to see Texas for themselves. They weren’t disappointed.

Ransom got to spend time with a few players and new analyst Brandon Harris, who gave Ransom some insight into recruiting and LSU.

For Ransom, he’s looking for the perfect fit.

“I want a team that uses safeties a lot and in different ways on the defense,” said Ransom. “A great alumni base, and a staff that will push me in football and academics.”

Texas checks those boxes.

Does the fact UT is base nickel and plays plenty of dime help its cause?

“Yes, definitely,” Ransom explained. “At times, Texas has six DBs on the field. And Coach Naivar is that dude. I love that guy.”

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound safety says he’ll bring a lot to his future school.

“A lot of energy. Physical. A fly-to-the-ball type player,” Ransom said.

He’ll be back on the Forty Acres next weekend (6/14) for his official visit. Then he'll head to Ohio State for an OV the following weekend.

UT put itself in a tremendous spot after the recent trip. We feel better today than we did two weeks ago.

Decision timeline?

“Hopefully before the season.”

KITAN CRAWFORD 

One of the top targets for 2020, John Tyler’s Kitan Crawford, will drop a top 3 fairly soon. He recently took an unofficial to Oklahoma, enjoyed the trip, but realized Norman isn’t Austin.

He was scheduled to visit Texas A&M this weekend, but I believe those plans might get canceled.

For his top 3, my best guess is Texas, Tennessee, and one of TCU or OU. I still love UT here (as opposed to UT-Knoxville). So should you. He’ll be in Austin on 6/21.

JALEN LOGAN-REDDING

2020 Columbia (MO) Rock Bridge DL Jalen Logan-Redding had a purpose for his second visit to UT this spring.

“Of course, this trip down to Texas was for the camp,” Logan-Redding said. “I decided to go down there to get coached up by Coach Giles and see what he usually does with defensive linemen, and how he runs drills, what he’s mainly focused on, and how the coaches and the players interact with each other.”

Logan-Redding visited Texas at the end of March and saw both the Longhorns and the Aggies participate in spring drills. He made sure to come back to Texas for a reason.

“To be honest, I came down to Texas because I’m real interested in Texas,” Logan-Redding said. “They wanted to see me on campus.”

While discussing other schools that were high on his list, the 6-foot-4, 243 pound defensive linemen mentioned the hometown Missouri Tigers as well as the Oklahoma State Cowboys.

Logan-Redding told Inside Texas he had hopes he would commit during the summer, but doesn’t believe that will come to fruition. He plans to release a list of top schools soon and take visits following that announcement. He told Inside Texas it’s “very likely” the Longhorns receive one of his official visits.

After he takes his visits and sits down with his family, Logan-Redding hopes to make a decision during the season.

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

That's very interesting because New Mexico public schools are known for being the suck.

How long has he been in NM? His problems may have come from NJ where he could have missed a lot of school due to crappy home life.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT is doing a Q&A today but there a couple notes on the team and recruiting

Reveal hidden contents

The most noteworthy team thing I was going to write is Junior Angilau may be ready to shine. I have people predicting him to start at right guard, which has them predicting Kerstetter to start at right tackle. Angilau is one of the hardest workers on the team.

7 on 7 started on Tuesday and I haven't heard much from it other than nobody can cover Malcolm Epps because of the size advantage. I'm wondering if we see him lined up next to Collin like we say with LJH last year. At a minimum this would clear space for a running back.

I did hear Al'vonte Woodard broke his foot. Not ideal for a player looking to make a move on the playing field. He'll have surgery soon. I'm not sure how long he'll be out. Tough deal, great kid.

I know I'll be asked about Vernon Broughton. One needen't be a cryptographer to know we have good sources at Arkansas. What we heard post-visit was they felt Texas was still the lead dog. It could be our source is sand-bagging a bit but I refuse to believe he would lie to us given how well we know him and how useful our relationship has been and will be. We have a couple sources like this where the relationship is a bit awkward given perceived alliances. "Perceived" is doing a lot of work there because our alliances are to people not schools. Obviously we observe ethical boundaries but the source here would more likely not reply or say he likes where Arkansas is in the recruitment more so than Broughton will likely end up at Texas. If he was a silent commit I can't see him lying to us. There's a little inside dish on that recruitment.

That written, there is some concern about Broughton being more open than he "should be." If you read his mother's interview post-visit it read like a Texas slam dunk. Fundamental. Two hands. Larry Nance. I can say Texas is taking measures to make sure the family knows how wanted it is in Austin. If that's the hang-up then your favorite school (not yours @stringsays) should be fine. I'm still predicting Texas but Broughton is on a murderer's row of schools who will negative recruit Texas. They need to be burning up the phones and they should try and get him back to campus. I previously posted that he wanted to observe the coaches in a camp setting but I don't know if that fell on deaf ears. I don't think it was a coincidence he was recently in College Station for a camp. He wants to see how he'll be coached first hand.

You should be guaranteed two more commitments this month but I'd put my marker on three. It could even go higher than that depending on how things play out.

Does Texas have any camps during the week coming up that Broughton may visit?

Yeah, he's going to hear a shit ton of negative recruiting from Dumbo and Chef Price.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Nahlin says Blidi (the DL from New Mexico) is a potential grades risk, which is why the offer hasn't come yet.

Apparently that's the issue with the OL from Carthage, too (Crawford, I think).

Unfortunate about Crawford. I think he’s easily the best OL prospect in the state this class, and Ingram could have really helped us there 

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

What are the odds Herman can sign the two AZ teammates? Is it similar to the Evans/George situation where they want to go to the same school? 

They might help with each other, but they aren’t a package deal 

Clint Buckley: New Mexico 2020 DE Philip Blidi impressed with Texas visit

Just a few months before his senior season begins, Portales (NM) defensive end Philip Blidi wanted to see what was out there. He started his summer by taking an unofficial visit to Texas this past weekend, which culminated in a camp appearance Tuesday night in Austin. Blidi, a rare football recruit from the state of New Mexico, does not yet have an offer from a Power 5 program. But he’s hoping to change all that.
Horns247 caught up with Blidi after Tuesday’s camp wrapped up, and he shared his thoughts on the Texas visit. “It was great,” Blidi said. “Great hospitality, they showed me everything I wanted to know. I didn’t leave with any questions.” Blidi said he wants to study business and marketing in college, and came away impressed with what UT had to offer. “They have one of the best business programs in the country,” he said. “They really value academics, and they make sure all the kids here are taking care of their business. If they’re not taking care of their business, they’re on them. That showed me that they keep everybody accountable. That means they have a plan for life after football.”
Blidi’s wingspan was measured at 83 inches this week, and came to the camp on a mission to improve his game. “Great coaching, great competition, and everybody wanted to work hard,” Blidi said. “I just learned a lot, and I’m going to take everything and apply it to my game.” Blidi singled out player personnel assistant Jake Langi and defensive line coach Oscar Giles, and credited them for building up a winning culture at Texas.
The defender also wanted to take a peak deeper behind the curtain. “I talked to some O-line guys and I talked to some D-line guys,” Blidi said. “When I came here I knew about the culture, but I wanted to see behind the scenes stuff. How do they interact behind the scenes? And I got a good look at that. It’s like a brotherhood.” Blidi also camped with Texas A&M on Wednesday, and is taking in everything big-time college football has to offer. “I’ve been to some other places but it’s not really the same,” he said.
At 6-foot-4, 245 pounds, Blidi is the No. 53 ranked strong-side defensive end in the country and the No. 2 ranked player overall in New Mexico, according to 247Sports.

Sounds like a TE for Michigan.

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is pretty much why i’d Almost prefer to quit recruiting Mookie. If he comes here and sees Moore, Smith and others ahead of him and realizes he won’t be starting Day 1, i’d bet he bolts before his freshman year is over.

Its my thought  that this is why he decommited. He saw he wasnt going to be "the guy"  and went shopping. 

I think his continued "interest" is BS

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

From TFLoss on spurstalk.  Let's hope this happens.

Rivals confirmed that five-star LB Justin Flowe of Upland, CA will take an unofficial visit to Austin on June 22nd.

Spoiler

From Adam Gorney

The Upland, Calif., five-star LB has an unofficial visit to Texas on June 22 and an unofficial visit to Clemson on July 26. He is working on official visits to Clemson and Georgia and he has an official booked to Alabama for Sept. 20.

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm looking real good on my bellyaching over not snatching up Branard Wright when he was wearing UT gear over a year ago. Let me tell you. 

Naturally, I blame my overreaction on Oscar Giles sucking at his job. 

Didn't someone have Wright at like #5 in the state at one point?

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Anything helps I guess. Ohio State is also a finalist for both. Bijan Robinson is pretty much a must get given how much RB talent OU is stacking. 

Not to diminish their class (too much), but McClellan is clearly the bottom of the five-star backs thanks to Aledo using his legs as a science experiment on the limits of endurance and McGowan is a half-step down from that level. If we get Bijan and a complementary back (a Ty Jordan/Devon Achane type maybe), I'd take our class in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT: That written, there is some concern about Broughton being more open than he "should be." If you read his mother's interview post-visit it read like a Texas slam dunk. Fundamental. Two hands. Larry Nance.

Larry Nance is 60 years old now.  He retired in 1994.  Great timely reference.

Edited by Beau Vine

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Not to diminish their class (too much), but McClellan is clearly the bottom of the five-star backs thanks to Aledo using his legs as a science experiment on the limits of endurance and McGowan is a half-step down from that level. If we get Bijan and a complementary back (a Ty Jordan/Devon Achane type maybe), I'd take our class in a heartbeat.

Even landing one of those guys you listed would be huge after the 2019 RB debacle. Missing on all 3 would be a disaster. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

From TFLoss on spurstalk.  Let's hope this happens.

Rivals confirmed that five-star LB Justin Flowe of Upland, CA will take an unofficial visit to Austin on June 22nd.

Is this a Trey Sanders situation or do we have a shot?

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

If you give me Robinson and Jordan with Achane as a slot guy I won't care what kind of RB class anyone else signs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Nahlin tries to get too cute sometimes.  He caught whatever Scipio has.

Scipio without the wit and/or smarts. Wells is just as bad. They have great content and are sunshine pumpers, just get out of the way of the story/news.

53 minutes ago, MexHorn said:

Biggins: "LV landed the offer following today’s camp at Cal Lutheran. He’s one of my personal favorite WRs out West, more quick then top end fast but great hands and routes. Ohio State, ASU and Washington probably lead right now."

Roach: "Kid was sensational at today’s camp. He caught the eye of Drew Mehringer, Tim Beck, and Tom Herman. They were impressed enough to offer, and Bunkley told me he really wants to make a visit ASAP."

• Like 1