Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On to controversy and miscellany:

-Two white WR coaches means Texas needs a black WR coach in order to compete for some of these recruits. It doesn't help that Mehringer is whiter than a motherfucker. Of course, go fucking moneywhip Brewster or Traylor if you've got to go full whitey. There are numerous qualified coaching candidates that can relate to some of the prima donna, showtime WR targets like Demas, Bridges, and Wease. Guys like that have mocked UT's staff.Ā We lack the right guy(s)Ā at WR coachĀ and the results mostly bear that out.Ā If that's taboo, sorry for triggering. This isn't political. It's recruiting, and people want to work with and commit to people that they think "get them".Ā 

-20-23 in the class, with room to go after guys in the transfer portal, as it both giveth, and taketh away. I believe that they're grossly underestimating some attrition from the lower end of the depth chart, but whatever. Texas feels good about its talent level and won't be running players off, which is going to be an interesting contradiction with what is set to occur to the east of Austin in beautiful and lit College Station.

-Talk of lump sums at this stage being tossed around in big ways for recruits is not likely to be true. Visit money to handlers for UOVs, camps, OVs, sure. $100K? $200k? Not probable at this time of the cycle. If you just follow game theory logic and negotiating strategy, that move right now doesn't behoove a bidder at this stage anyway. Not saying big numbers won't close the deals, but it will go down more like Sanders last cycle, in the waning hours of mid-December and early February.Ā 

As always, it's recruiting, nothing is ever certain, apparently even after the ink is dry these days. If something I mention becomes incorrect, I'll circle back if I notice it and/or remember it. I know some people are too dense to fathom the fluidity, but assume the rest of you get it.

Wonder if they are trying to rush Samples up to run WR recruiting. Doesnā€™t help that Drayton is garbage, in a perfect world he would be able to pitch in to help cover up some of the whitenessĀ 

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On to controversy and miscellany:

-Two white WR coaches means Texas needs a black WR coach in order to compete for some of these recruits. It doesn't help that Mehringer is whiter than a motherfucker. Of course, go fucking moneywhip Brewster or Traylor if you've got to go full whitey. There are numerous qualified coaching candidates that can relate to some of the prima donna, showtime WR targets like Demas, Bridges, and Wease. Guys like that have mocked UT's staff.Ā We lack the right guy(s)Ā at WR coachĀ and the results mostly bear that out.Ā If that's taboo, sorry for triggering. This isn't political. It's recruiting, and people want to work with and commit to people that they think "get them".Ā 

-20-23 in the class, with room to go after guys in the transfer portal, as it both giveth, and taketh away. I believe that they're grossly underestimating some attrition from the lower end of the depth chart, but whatever. Texas feels good about its talent level and won't be running players off, which is going to be an interesting contradiction with what is set to occur to the east of Austin in beautiful and lit College Station.

-Talk of lump sums at this stage being tossed around in big ways for recruits is not likely to be true. Visit money to handlers for UOVs, camps, OVs, sure. $100K? $200k? Not probable at this time of the cycle. If you just follow game theory logic and negotiating strategy, that move right now doesn't behoove a bidder at this stage anyway. Not saying big numbers won't close the deals, but it will go down more like Sanders last cycle, in the waning hours of mid-December and early February.Ā 

As always, it's recruiting, nothing is ever certain, apparently even after the ink is dry these days. If something I mention becomes incorrect, I'll circle back if I notice it and/or remember it. I know some people are too dense to fathom the fluidity, but assume the rest of you get it.

Cue rutgersmohawk.jpg

5 hours ago, Fud said:

It's picking nits when you're debating guys who are right next to each other in the rankings.

I get it, you're obviously not wrong, rankings matter. But that kind of talk will always bring back memories or whomever was directly above or below Garrett Gilbert in the rankings.

14 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Wonder if they are trying to rush Samples up to run WR recruiting. Doesnā€™t help that Drayton is garbage, in a perfect world he would be able to pitch in to help cover up some of the whitenessĀ 

Drayton might be whiter than Mehringer...Ā  not sure he exactly relates to recruits like Demas and ShepherdĀ 

Edited by victory88
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sooooo basically we can expect Demas gets out bidded to bama in December?

22 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

MuthaHustla seems to think that's not a bad idea

Ā 

Ā 

This guy was supposed to be at the camp/visiting today and visited earlier in the year and has an offer.Ā  Is he a guy we may land?Ā  Super K said he camped at OU over the weekend and was one of the most impressive kids at it ( was puzzled why OU hasn't offered, must have gotten Grinch'd ).

https://247sports.com/player/jalen-logan-redding-46056509/

Just now, texifornia said:

I'm still hoping the guy from Georgia we've offered visits in a few weeks.Ā  Took a peak at the Georgia boards and the other LB they are targeting and may land is TrentonĀ Simpson and they are only taking a couple of LB's.

https://247sports.com/player/lenneth-whitehead-46054157/

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Ā 

-Talk of lump sums at this stage being tossed around in big ways for recruits is not likely to be true. Visit money to handlers for UOVs, camps, OVs, sure. $100K? $200k? Not probable at this time of the cycle. If you just follow game theory logic and negotiating strategy, that move right now doesn't behoove a bidder at this stage anyway.

c7a915778f59407cbb4d9abfa65f806b.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

(Eric Nahlinļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ)ļ»æĀ ļ»æĀ  Ā  Ja'Quinden JacksonĀ  Ā  Ā 

Sourceļ»æĀ #2: I know Jeff Blake has worked with him and thinks he has the mind/undersļ»ætanding hļ»æe's just never been taught much. They should get Blake to work with him. He's only 8-10 miles fļ»ærom caļ»æmļ»æpus. He should work with Sam on his deep ball and Roschon on mechanics too.Ā ļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ Interesting thought. Nobody ever threw a beļ»ætter deep baļ»æll than Blaļ»æke.Ā 

Ā 

Here's a QB coach I'd like a session with... šŸ˜€

giphy.gif

Ā 

Nice accuracy, but still has theĀ throwing motion of a girl

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

For those who donā€™t know any better, VaHorn is a long time price of shit poster with behaviors that surpass any of the biggest coaching apologists that any of you can recall. He was a staunch defender of Greg Davis and MackĀ Brown, well into their decline. He loved Charlie Strong and Shawn Watson. He mocked posters on 247 for not liking the Watson hire and then did his little downvoting game on anyone who ever uttered a negative word about the guy during his time at Texas. Heā€™s been a Tim Beck OC defender from day one. Heā€™s a LotusHorn, EJ Holland and Chip Brown sycophant. He brings nothing to the table but snark and downvotes and should be put on ignoreĀ and negvoted into banishment. Interacting with this goober is an exercise in futility. He has nothing to bring to the table beyond ā€œbut your not a corchez!!ā€ rhetoric.Ā 

I always thought vahorn and lotus were the same person

• Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

-Twoļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ white WR coaches means Texas needs a black WR coach in order to compete for some of these recruits. It doesn't help that Mehringer is whiter than a motherfucker. Of course, go fucking moneywhip Brewster or Traylor if you've got to go full whitey. There are numerous qualified coaching candidates that can relate to some of the prima donna, showtime WR targets like Demas, Bridges, and Wease. ļ»æGuys like that have mocked UT's staff.Ā We lack the right guy(s)Ā at WR coachĀ and the results mostly bear that out.Ā If that's taboo, sorry for triggering. This isn't political. It's recruiting, and people want to work with and commit to people that they think "get them".Ā ļ»æ

Some similarities to what's going on at Washington, if I'm hearing correctly.

Camp notes from IT

2020 DBā€™s Xavion Alford and Josh Eaton were seen with Anthony Cook and BJ Foster.

Sort of interesting but those two tend to travel together quite a bit.

Iā€™d keep a watchful eye on both because Alford could be a nickel and Eaton has some unteachable stuff going on.

On 2020 defensive lineman Philip Blidi:

ā€œOh btw that kid from NM spent a good 30 minutes with Herman when he walked inā€

ā€œWell I have seen Tunmise live and this kid looks more agile than himā€

ā€œHe is being watched by everyone. He is raw but coachable. You can tell he has never had real coaching. Arms swing real wide but he is for realā€

Edit: Xavion Alford is taking his OV for the LSU game in Sept. - per Joe

Blidi is supposed to call coaches tonight. Remember offers canā€™t be extended while the player is on campus for some reason. - per Joe

2021 DB JD Coffey is supposed to call as well. Heā€™s likely an improved version of Alford. - per Joe

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Per Joe Cook:

"Blidi told me after the camp his wingspan was 83 inches. 6-foot-3, 250 pounds."

That wingspan is reaching Omenihu levels. Strong took Omenihu largely because of that frame, and it ended upĀ being probably his best eval.