Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

21 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

(Eric Nahlin)     Ja'Quinden Jackson     

Source #2: I know Jeff Blake has worked with him and thinks he has the mind/understanding he's just never been taught much. They should get Blake to work with him. He's only 8-10 miles from campus. He should work with Sam on his deep ball and Roschon on mechanics too.  Interesting thought. Nobody ever threw a better deep ball than Blake. 

Here's a QB coach I'd like a session with... 😀

giphy.gif

Narrow hips, mid 4  at best

Edited by I Plead Da Fif

9 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Ha. Didn't think Bama would have to take George to get Evans. Guess they were pretty serious about being a package deal

Bama doesnt give a flying fuck because of all programs, they're best positioned to process George out after 1 season. They don't give a fuck. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Bama doesnt give a flying fuck because of all programs, they're best positioned to process George out after 1 season. They don't give a fuck. 

How is their OL depth currently? Didn't they lose 3OL to the portal?

Just now, Bevo said:

How is their OL depth currently? Didn't they lose 3OL to the portal?

I have no clue, and I don't think it matters (although they did sign that FSU OL who I assume is trash because FSU OL). It's Saban. As long as he is there, he'll cut the chaff from the wheat and move on with life. George is a fat, slow OG who won't arrive on campus for another what, year and a half? And he's likely at least a two year project AFTER that to just be serviceable. It's why most folks here were balking with the package deal in the past couple months before Evans scorched the earth. The point is, even if Saban does have depth problems, George isn't going to be the solution to them before Saban can plug holes from JUCO, the Transfer Portal. He's irrelevant in fixing any problem 'Bama currently has on their hands with the OL. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I have no clue, and I don't think it matters (although they did sign that FSU OL who I assume is trash because FSU OL). It's Saban. As long as he is there, he'll cut the chaff from the wheat and move on with life. George is a fat, slow OG who won't arrive on campus for another what, year and a half? And he's likely at least a two year project AFTER that to just be serviceable. It's why most folks here were balking with the package deal in the past couple months before Evans scorched the earth. The point is, even if Saban does have depth problems, George isn't going to be the solution to them before Saban can plug holes from JUCO, the Transfer Portal. He's irrelevant in fixing any problem 'Bama currently has on their hands with the OL.  

Oh, I agree with you. I was just wondering if Alabama can afford to waste scholarships on trash OL? In the past I wouldn't question it, but I know they lost 3 to transfer this spring.

Changing the subject a bit, I think the portal will kill depth at the top programs, cause trash teams to lose any talent they have, and help middle of the road programs compete against top programs.

OB 3-2-1 had a cool section on culture, Caden, Yancy, and some quotes from Lathan Ransom's dad

Spoiler

There was a lot of talk last week about a certain wide receiver who decided to leave the UT program, and how he may not have been a fit with the culture that Texas is establishing under Tom Herman and staff. Caden Sterns was the first to make mention of it on Twitter in an apparent reference to the departure (“This program ain’t for everybody”), which could have been taken as a sign that Sterns is developing as a bit of a team leader and maybe even a spokesperson of sorts.

In talking to Lathan Ransom’s father about their visit, Sterns was very heavily involved and Ransom and his father both came away with a healthy amount of respect for the sophomore safety.

“We talked to Caden Sterns, spent a lot of time with him. He was awesome,” Mr. Ransom said. “He was just really honest with him. He just said ‘Hey man, come here, make this the real DBU.’ Thought that was really cool. (Lathan) hung out with him and two other safeties, but Caden was the guy who stood out, who he really, really talked to him. He even met up with the quarterback one night and said he was really nice to him and cool. To get those guys playing at that level, for them to take time to talk to a guy who is just thinking about coming, that was really cool.”

Speaking of “the quarterback,” Ransom and his father attended a team workout on Monday. The unity and consistency with every player’s approach was something they definitely noticed.

“It was intense. Talk about something I’ve never seen before on that level - that was really , really impressive,” Mr. Ransom said. “The strength coach is phenomenal. It was on another level. Everyone was in tune, nobody was off doing their own thing. Everyone was working for the same mission. The quarterback was in there. There wasn’t anyone in there where it was ‘hey that’s that guy’ and he was off on his own or was any different. It was impressive.”

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

Maybe Saban has agreed to take Evans to secure George's commitment.

Uhh, that's the point.  The funny thing is the package deal will never play together.  Evans is a 3 and done, George has a minimum 3 years until he might see the field and that's if he doesn't get portal/processed out or buried in depth.  

Obviously there's the chance Evans is helping his guy out by using the package deal to land George at his choice program but then goes his own way, though it seems less likely Bama takes George at face value without assurances. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Oh, I agree with you. I was just wondering if Alabama can afford to waste scholarships on trash OL? In the past I wouldn't question it, but I know they lost 3 to transfer this spring.

Changing the subject a bit, I think the portal will kill depth at the top programs, cause trash teams to lose any talent they have, and help middle of the road programs compete against top programs.

Bama can absolutely waste a scholly on George to get Evans because he’s worth it, and Bama doesn’t give a fuck when it comes to roster processing. Medical scholly, academic scholly, transfer portal, grad transfer, JUCO. They run their roster like a pro roster. It’s hard to hear all the poor kid lost a scholly stories behind all those championships 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

OB 3-2-1 had a cool section on culture, Caden, Yancy, and some quotes from Lathan Ransom's dad

Reveal hidden contents

There was a lot of talk last week about a certain wide receiver who decided to leave the UT program, and how he may not have been a fit with the culture that Texas is establishing under Tom Herman and staff. Caden Sterns was the first to make mention of it on Twitter in an apparent reference to the departure (“This program ain’t for everybody”), which could have been taken as a sign that Sterns is developing as a bit of a team leader and maybe even a spokesperson of sorts.

In talking to Lathan Ransom’s father about their visit, Sterns was very heavily involved and Ransom and his father both came away with a healthy amount of respect for the sophomore safety.

“We talked to Caden Sterns, spent a lot of time with him. He was awesome,” Mr. Ransom said. “He was just really honest with him. He just said ‘Hey man, come here, make this the real DBU.’ Thought that was really cool. (Lathan) hung out with him and two other safeties, but Caden was the guy who stood out, who he really, really talked to him. He even met up with the quarterback one night and said he was really nice to him and cool. To get those guys playing at that level, for them to take time to talk to a guy who is just thinking about coming, that was really cool.”

Speaking of “the quarterback,” Ransom and his father attended a team workout on Monday. The unity and consistency with every player’s approach was something they definitely noticed.

“It was intense. Talk about something I’ve never seen before on that level - that was really , really impressive,” Mr. Ransom said. “The strength coach is phenomenal. It was on another level. Everyone was in tune, nobody was off doing their own thing. Everyone was working for the same mission. The quarterback was in there. There wasn’t anyone in there where it was ‘hey that’s that guy’ and he was off on his own or was any different. It was impressive.”

Yancy needs a fucking raise.

10 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Hide contents

imgur

Open Mike: Live recruiting chat

Any word on Justin Flowe or LBs in general as it pertains to visiting campus?

Brennon Scott should be in this summer. Haven't heard much on Flowe.

Just saw George committed to Bama, are you hearing if Evans is sticking to his timeline and “package” offer?

Wouldn't surprise me, but I haven't checked in with North Shore sources in a bit.

Have you had a chance to talk to Wilson yet? Did Texas gain any steam on his unofficial?

I haven't been able to reach him yet, and I've heard he's hard to get in contact with. I've asked our west coast team to check in and I've put a couple of calls in. I think Texas sits in a good spot with a chance to come back and make a big impression on the OV.

Timeline on next commit?

I would guess a few weeks. Near the end of June.

Do you expect most of the recruits we’re recruiting to shut things down before the start of the season?

I wouldn't say most, but I could see 6-8 doing it.

Looks like A&M gets last visit for Broughton, still feel good here or should we worry?

It sounds like Arkansas made a big impression, and there's always worry with OVs. I talked to a source who was still confident in Texas, but we'll have to re-assess after he makes his visits.

Do you think being Broughtons first OV hurt...seems this could be trending away from us

It never hurts to get a guy on campus when you can get him. I think in the end that if you give the best shot it stands out. We'll see where things stand after the rest of his visits.

First-time caller, long-time listener ... How are you enjoying realizing your passion of being a full-time recruiting guru so far (and no longer working another full-time job while covering recruiting on the side)? And, most importantly, how's your awesome bride Kylie? ... I'll hang up and listen ...

I absolutely love it. I wake up every day excited, and I think it shows in my work. She's great and really happy for me. Plus it doesn't hurt that I'm now around to do a few chores.

Is there any worry from the Texas staff on lindberg's shoulder? Is it a major shoulder issue or something that probably just needs to be cleaned out after the season and he will be good to go?

I don't know the extent of the injury and I haven't tried to dive deep with Chad about it. I know the Texas staff tries to stay up to date on injuries and track them. I don't think it's a detractor right now.

Did you ever get into contact with Andrej Karic?

Very little. He doesn't talk to media and hasn't since I met him. I think I'll see him next week.

Does taking JaQuinden and Hudson hurt our chances with Preston in the next class? Also, if Casey don’t play this year do you expect him to leave with so much heat entering QB room next year?

I don't think so. Preston is a competitor and he believes in himself as much as anyone. Not sure on Casey, that might be a better question for Chip and Jeff.

Perroni continues to insist that Arky is in the lead for Broughton today. Not just in the running or a school of interest, but in the lead. Do you agree with that? How would you characterize Texas' position with each of Broughton, Collins, Umanmielen, Dorbah. Thanks.

I'm not sure I disagree. As I said, there was a lot of buzz coming out of Fayetteville after the visit. We'll see if it dies down in the next few weeks. Broughton - 45% Collins - 55% Umanmielen - 50% Dorbah - 60%

Why are we not pushing harder with Quinten Johnston? We keep seeing increasingly glowing reports on him, and now his composite is #57 overall ... so the rankings have caught up with the reports.

I know he got a big boost from Rivals. I really like his potential, but I think he's too high at 57 overall. There is a lot to work on there. I think Texas is trying to figure out what happens at wide receiver, and right now they are focused on Omeire and Wilson.

How do things look with Lindberg?

I think Texas is in the same spot. Chad is comfortable with the program, he's seen everything he needs to, and I think his mother would like him to end up in Austin. Georgia is the only school that would really concern me.

A follow up question - if you had to choose one of either Omeire or Johnston today, whom would you pick?

Probably Johnston. But Texas sees them at different positions. Omeire is an X and Johnston is a Z.

Wow those are much lower than anticipated. Especially with Dorbah.

I'm always more conservative with percentages than most. I think Texas gets Dorbah.

Does the fact that Chad Morris offered everyone in Broughton’s family, to include his unborn children, really a factor or does Broughton see through the BS tactics?

I'm not sure he does, and there is a lot going on there. It isn't ethical for a number of reasons.

What are the percentage of landing the following recruits-Johnny Wilson Bijan Robinson Lathan Ransom Troy Omeire Kelee Ringo

45% 65% 49% 45% 40% As of right now.

Who and what did he offer? Curious about the specifics. (I understand if you cannot comment on any shenanigans, but what info is public about his offers?)

It's just that these offers to kids can be made and the college doesn't have to be held accountable. If Broughton feels pressure to earn everyone in his family a scholarship, I think that's a bad spot to put someone in. Maybe they explained to Broughton it wasn't real, and if they did it's a different story. I just don't love it.

Who are the two 2020 RBs that end up in this class in February?

I think Bijan Robinson is one. I'm not sure I'll be able to pinpoint the other until the first happens.

Heck, remember USC offering a 7th grader (or 8th) at QB years ago? Where did that scholarship go when the kid didn't develop? And what could the kid do about it? It isnt like the school was bound to that.

Funny story, the kid was actually West Virginia WR David Sills, but yeah your point stands. There are some other dynamics I won't get into that I think makes it morally unethical.

Any update on Ringo coming in the weekend of the 21st for an UOV? Any news on Mullings, the LB from MA? Think we got a real shot with him?

I'll check in with both. I think Mullings is a bit of a longshot, but if they get him on campus all bets are off.

I was of the same opinion, and asked for Greg Biggins' on his recruiting chat recently. He mentioned that it was clearly tongue in cheek and just meant to be fun for the family, but the Broughton's including Vernon understood they weren't real. I'm still not a fan of Morris for a bunch of reasons, but it seems like we, including myself, may have overblown this one a bit unless you have heard otherwise.

And if that's the case then fine. I hope it was clearly explained and made clear to Vernon. As I said, there are some other dynamics I won't go into that make it more dangerous.

This is really far away still, but I read in the Alford article he will take is OV the weekend of the LSU game. How many top recruits in the 2020 class do you envision being there? 2021??

I'd guess we will have a huge visit list for that weekend.

At the end of the day who do you think will be the 2020 signee with the earliest big impact?

That's a good question. I'll say Bijan Robinson if they land him.

Any word on D.Sellars visiting Texas this summer? Also, what’s your feeling on Mookie Cooper? He seems to be CB’d to a different school every week (Texas, then Illinois, then Miami, now OSU). Should we get our hopes up, or are we wasting our time here?

I know that Sellers told Blair Angulo he planned to visit. I've been trying to get in contact to confirm when but there isn't an exact date. There's always hope if you get an OV. Mookie loved Texas for a long time. I think this will shake out after visits.

Jesus Christ what in the world is Giles doing

Look, don't take percentages as gospel. I think Arkansas has a slight lead for Broughton, I think it's a toss up for Princely, I think Texas has a slight lead for Collins, and a good lead for Dorbah.

I may have missed one, but is that your highest confidence/percentage outside of Thompson (didn't see that one but I'd guess it's higher right?)

I'd probably have it the same. Feel great about Crawford after the feedback I heard following his Oklahoma visit.

Is there a chance that Washington and Alford may end up without a spot if we can land Ransom and lockdown Thompson? I know Thompson had the potential to grow into a Rover, so wondering if they'd find room for a second true safety, or if Alford in particular would be a nickel take. With Crawford and Rogers looking likely at corner plus a spot reserved for Ringo if he wants in, I can't see us taking a 6 man DB group in a smaller class.

I think they'd take three, so one of them could possibly. I think Thompson is possibly a rover, but who knows how he grows. I still think OU has the edge for Washington at this time.

Wouldn't most say that Q. Johnston's ceiling is significantly higher than both Wilson, and Omeire???

Probably bigger than Omeire but not Wilson.

How special can 21 OLine class be? Brockermeyer bros, Byrd and who else? Will it be better then 20? Percentage too?

Can be really good. Too early for percentages.

Percentage chance on landing following recruits- Chad Lindberg Ty Jordan Bryson Washington Xavion alford

Lindberg - 55% Jordan - unclear Washington - 45% Alford - 50%

Edited by satyanash

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Open Mike: Live recruiting chat

Hide contents

Any word on Justin Flowe or LBs in general as it pertains to visiting campus?

Brennon Scott should be in this summer. Haven't heard much on Flowe.

Just saw George committed to Bama, are you hearing if Evans is sticking to his timeline and “package” offer?

Wouldn't surprise me, but I haven't checked in with North Shore sources in a bit.

Have you had a chance to talk to Wilson yet? Did Texas gain any steam on his unofficial?

I haven't been able to reach him yet, and I've heard he's hard to get in contact with. I've asked our west coast team to check in and I've put a couple of calls in. I think Texas sits in a good spot with a chance to come back and make a big impression on the OV.

Timeline on next commit?

I would guess a few weeks. Near the end of June.

Do you expect most of the recruits we’re recruiting to shut things down before the start of the season?

I wouldn't say most, but I could see 6-8 doing it.

Looks like A&M gets last visit for Broughton, still feel good here or should we worry?

It sounds like Arkansas made a big impression, and there's always worry with OVs. I talked to a source who was still confident in Texas, but we'll have to re-assess after he makes his visits.

Do you think being Broughtons first OV hurt...seems this could be trending away from us

It never hurts to get a guy on campus when you can get him. I think in the end that if you give the best shot it stands out. We'll see where things stand after the rest of his visits.

First-time caller, long-time listener ... How are you enjoying realizing your passion of being a full-time recruiting guru so far (and no longer working another full-time job while covering recruiting on the side)? And, most importantly, how's your awesome bride Kylie? ... I'll hang up and listen ...

I absolutely love it. I wake up every day excited, and I think it shows in my work. She's great and really happy for me. Plus it doesn't hurt that I'm now around to do a few chores.

Is there any worry from the Texas staff on lindberg's shoulder? Is it a major shoulder issue or something that probably just needs to be cleaned out after the season and he will be good to go?

I don't know the extent of the injury and I haven't tried to dive deep with Chad about it. I know the Texas staff tries to stay up to date on injuries and track them. I don't think it's a detractor right now.

Did you ever get into contact with Andrej Karic?

Very little. He doesn't talk to media and hasn't since I met him. I think I'll see him next week.

Does taking JaQuinden and Hudson hurt our chances with Preston in the next class? Also, if Casey don’t play this year do you expect him to leave with so much heat entering QB room next year?

I don't think so. Preston is a competitor and he believes in himself as much as anyone. Not sure on Casey, that might be a better question for Chip and Jeff.

Perroni continues to insist that Arky is in the lead for Broughton today. Not just in the running or a school of interest, but in the lead. Do you agree with that? How would you characterize Texas' position with each of Broughton, Collins, Umanmielen, Dorbah. Thanks.

I'm not sure I disagree. As I said, there was a lot of buzz coming out of Fayetteville after the visit. We'll see if it dies down in the next few weeks. Broughton - 45% Collins - 55% Umanmielen - 50% Dorbah - 60%

Why are we not pushing harder with Quinten Johnston? We keep seeing increasingly glowing reports on him, and now his composite is #57 overall ... so the rankings have caught up with the reports.

I know he got a big boost from Rivals. I really like his potential, but I think he's too high at 57 overall. There is a lot to work on there. I think Texas is trying to figure out what happens at wide receiver, and right now they are focused on Omeire and Wilson.

How do things look with Lindberg?

I think Texas is in the same spot. Chad is comfortable with the program, he's seen everything he needs to, and I think his mother would like him to end up in Austin. Georgia is the only school that would really concern me.

A follow up question - if you had to choose one of either Omeire or Johnston today, whom would you pick?

Probably Johnston. But Texas sees them at different positions. Omeire is an X and Johnston is a Z.

Wow those are much lower than anticipated. Especially with Dorbah.

I'm always more conservative with percentages than most. I think Texas gets Dorbah.

Does the fact that Chad Morris offered everyone in Broughton’s family, to include his unborn children, really a factor or does Broughton see through the BS tactics?

I'm not sure he does, and there is a lot going on there. It isn't ethical for a number of reasons.

What are the percentage of landing the following recruits-Johnny Wilson Bijan Robinson Lathan Ransom Troy Omeire Kelee Ringo

45% 65% 49% 45% 40% As of right now.

Who and what did he offer? Curious about the specifics. (I understand if you cannot comment on any shenanigans, but what info is public about his offers?)

It's just that these offers to kids can be made and the college doesn't have to be held accountable. If Broughton feels pressure to earn everyone in his family a scholarship, I think that's a bad spot to put someone in. Maybe they explained to Broughton it wasn't real, and if they did it's a different story. I just don't love it.

Who are the two 2020 RBs that end up in this class in February?

I think Bijan Robinson is one. I'm not sure I'll be able to pinpoint the other until the first happens.

Heck, remember USC offering a 7th grader (or 8th) at QB years ago? Where did that scholarship go when the kid didn't develop? And what could the kid do about it? It isnt like the school was bound to that.

Funny story, the kid was actually West Virginia WR David Sills, but yeah your point stands. There are some other dynamics I won't get into that I think makes it morally unethical.

Any update on Ringo coming in the weekend of the 21st for an UOV? Any news on Mullings, the LB from MA? Think we got a real shot with him?

I'll check in with both. I think Mullings is a bit of a longshot, but if they get him on campus all bets are off.

I was of the same opinion, and asked for Greg Biggins' on his recruiting chat recently. He mentioned that it was clearly tongue in cheek and just meant to be fun for the family, but the Broughton's including Vernon understood they weren't real. I'm still not a fan of Morris for a bunch of reasons, but it seems like we, including myself, may have overblown this one a bit unless you have heard otherwise.

And if that's the case then fine. I hope it was clearly explained and made clear to Vernon. As I said, there are some other dynamics I won't go into that make it more dangerous.

This is really far away still, but I read in the Alford article he will take is OV the weekend of the LSU game. How many top recruits in the 2020 class do you envision being there? 2021??

I'd guess we will have a huge visit list for that weekend.

At the end of the day who do you think will be the 2020 signee with the earliest big impact?

That's a good question. I'll say Bijan Robinson if they land him.

Any word on D.Sellars visiting Texas this summer? Also, what’s your feeling on Mookie Cooper? He seems to be CB’d to a different school every week (Texas, then Illinois, then Miami, now OSU). Should we get our hopes up, or are we wasting our time here?

I know that Sellers told Blair Angulo he planned to visit. I've been trying to get in contact to confirm when but there isn't an exact date. There's always hope if you get an OV. Mookie loved Texas for a long time. I think this will shake out after visits.

Jesus Christ what in the world is Giles doing

Look, don't take percentages as gospel. I think Arkansas has a slight lead for Broughton, I think it's a toss up for Princely, I think Texas has a slight lead for Collins, and a good lead for Dorbah.

I may have missed one, but is that your highest confidence/percentage outside of Thompson (didn't see that one but I'd guess it's higher right?)

I'd probably have it the same. Feel great about Crawford after the feedback I heard following his Oklahoma visit.

Is there a chance that Washington and Alford may end up without a spot if we can land Ransom and lockdown Thompson? I know Thompson had the potential to grow into a Rover, so wondering if they'd find room for a second true safety, or if Alford in particular would be a nickel take. With Crawford and Rogers looking likely at corner plus a spot reserved for Ringo if he wants in, I can't see us taking a 6 man DB group in a smaller class.

I think they'd take three, so one of them could possibly. I think Thompson is possibly a rover, but who knows how he grows. I still think OU has the edge for Washington at this time.

Wouldn't most say that Q. Johnston's ceiling is significantly higher than both Wilson, and Omeire???

Probably bigger than Omeire but not Wilson.

How special can 21 OLine class be? Brockermeyer bros, Byrd and who else? Will it be better then 20? Percentage too?

Can be really good. Too early for percentages.

Percentage chance on landing following recruits- Chad Lindberg Ty Jordan Bryson Washington Xavion alford

Lindberg - 55% Jordan - unclear Washington - 45% Alford - 50%

The 247 chats always make me happy that at least the assholes on this board don't have an average IQ of potato and the constitution of a rotten balsa wood plane.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Evans tweeted Roll Tide in the last few days and for some reason it felt like the package deal was sealed. He’s not usually a rah-rah guy online.

Senders getting 300k last cycle gave Evans some leverage when evaluating the market.