Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I think O’Meire is basically the exact type of guy that Bobby Kennedy used to recruit who would end up a tweener making little impact, so I’d rather have several other prospects we’re seemingly not prioritizing.

But his testing numbers aren’t actually as bad as I thought.  247 shows him running a 4.69 40, 4.37 shuttle, with a 32.5 inch vertical at the Opening camp this spring, while checking in at 6’3” and 217 pounds.  Those numbers aren’t phenomenal, but they’re not that far off from what plenty of legit WR prospects put up at much lighter weights.  He’s probably become underrated on this board.

My view is that he's fucking great as the last of 4 WR takes or as the 25th man in a class. If taking him means we don't land/pursue someone like Johnston, the opportunity cost isn't worth it. Take 4 guys a year like him and we wind up with no gamebreaking ability whatsoever, and a bunch of Phillip Paynes, Josh Marshalls, DJ Grants, and Dan Buckners clogging up the roster. 

Contrary to what sarvanaash and others might wish to contest, a group of us have formed a view of Omeire on this board that is derived from independent data points saying the same shit about his speed, and comparing notes on this thread. golfclap, Fud, etc., and I are not talking to the same people as far as I know, and I don't think any of us are talking to just a guy out there. People who have seen Omeire in camp and in drills think his speed and quickness is pedestrian, and dismissively so. He's big with great hands, but not elite big. So at best, you have LJH lite. At worst? Looks like Montre Webber.  

18 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I think O’Meire is basically the exact type of guy that Bobby Kennedy used to recruit who would end up a tweener making little impact, so I’d rather have several other prospects we’re seemingly not prioritizing.

But his testing numbers aren’t actually as bad as I thought.  247 shows him running a 4.69 40, 4.37 shuttle, with a 32.5 inch vertical at the Opening camp this spring, while checking in at 6’3” and 217 pounds.  Those numbers aren’t phenomenal, but they’re not that far off from what plenty of legit WR prospects put up at much lighter weights.  He’s probably become underrated on this board.

Daddy98?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fellside said:

Rivals doesn't have Jackson top 15 in the state?

No, but for the 247th time: his lack of defined position projection is holding/will hold him back from a proper ranking.  Pay no mind, he's an incredible talent and great ringleader for the Dallas area. #DallastoAustin 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

No, but for the 247th time: his lack of defined position projection is holding/will hold him back from a proper ranking.  Pay no mind, he's an incredible talent and great ringleader for the Dallas area. #DallastoAustin 

It looks like 247 has him 48th, ESPN has him 33rd and Rivals has him 121st, so if/when Rivals realizes he’s an elite athlete, he could easily end up a composite 5 star.

I'm confused on this word stuff, but I'd like to give it a try.

VaHorn has a little dick. His wife may be cheating on him. 

or, alternatively

midget_city_police_dept_1935_by_gregorym

VaHorn has a little dick. His wife may be cheating on him. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Rivals state rankings

1) Zach Evans
2) Demond Demas
3) Jase McClellan
4) Vernon Broughton
5) Quentin Johnston
6) Drew Sanders
7) RJ Mickens
8') Troy Omeire 
9) Jaxon Smith-Njigba
10) Josh White
11) Hudson Card
12) Prince Dorbah
13) Chad Lindberg
14) EJ Smith

More or less how I'd have the top 25 (there are a couple of qualification concerns on here that I'm not discounting yet, as it's too early for that). I tried to stop at 14, but couldn't. This is mostly from hudl, and a little info I hear from others. 

1) Demond Demas

2) Zach Evans

3) Vernon Broughton

4) Drew Sanders

5) Ja'Quinden Jackson

6) Ty'Kieast Crawford 

7) Alfred Collins

8') Bryson Washington

9) Jalen Kimber

10) Jaylen Garth

11) Nate Anderson 

12) Garrett Hayes

13) Jase McClellan

14) Chad Lindberg

15) Kitan Crawford

16) Jaylon Jones

17) Devon Achane

18) Seth McGowan

19) Hudson Card

20) Haynes King

21) Quentin Johnston

22) Caleb Medford

23) Logan Parr

24) Andrej Karic

25) Jake Majors

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Rivals also just sucks.

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I like it overall.  The one I feel like I must be missing something on is Lindberg, though. I know he’s been a target of ours forever, has high rankings on all the services, and some big schools after him.

But when I watch his film, he looks stiff when he moves.  And while he’s big, he looks more like he’s just carrying a lot of weight rather than being some kind of natural giant like Leonard Davis or DJ Fluker.  He has the requisite clips of him mauling 200 lb high school players when he gets his hands on them, but honestly, if I didn’t know his ranking I would assume he’s a Baylor/Tech/Okie State level recruit.

I'm getting an interior OL vibe from Lindberg. If we get him, great, but if not, I'm not going to sweat it. The 2021 class is so far superior to any OL group we've seen in a while that I wouldn't mind smaller numbers in 2020 and then loading up next year.

This is also the reason why I don't mind -- at all -- that we seem to have cooled on George. He just never seemed like a take for this class to me, even as the plus one for Evans.

• Like 1

(Eric Nahlin) Tuesday recruiting notes: JJ is dynamite, Leanberg?, the Blidi side

Too bad I didn't have a fourth topic because each one of those puns was worse than the one before it.

THE CASE FOR QB JA'QUINDEN JACKSON

I've been vociferous that Duncanville's Ja'Quinden Jackson has a very long way to go as a quarterback and could very well end up at a number of positions. Ian has said similar, as has "coach" from Notebook fame, and some college contacts. In an effort to hear both sides, I sought comment from experts who like Jackson's chances to remain in the pocket a little longer. We'll start with, @malaise: he's gonna rip **** and pee on em like @Toadvine peeing in snow on the side of the matterhorn but in south dallas slang instead of french brah

Next, we'll talk to a couple of "football" people. These two know their stuff, one in particular I lean heavily on from time to time to get his take on quarterbacks. He's a bit of a mechanics snob so I was surprised to hear his take [quotes are not verbatim but context is unchanged]

Source #1: Ja'Quinden is the best power running quarterback since Tebow. Name one better. Even with him being limited as a passer you can build around him, just need some speed on the outside. Texas needs to get some speed on the outside for him.

Funny he said that because recently I was wondering how Jackson would look in a veer-n-shoot type of offense. 

Source #1: And he'll need time to develop but he's so special as a runner they should give him a package from day-one.

I interjected and said I'm not sure they're going to want to take a senior Sam Ehlinger from the field.

Source #1: Give him a package in case Ehlinger gets hurt.

Again, I was a bit surprised by this source's optimism given he's a fan of passing mechanics but he's just that taken by Jackson's ability as a runner and his fit within the Herman offense that he thinks Hudson Card will have a real competition on his hand.

Source #2: I'm just glad they have a big body alpha that could work out ... I'm not a fan of the three smallish bodies at QB three classes in a row (after Rising transfer) ... Thompson, Johnson and Card. That just doesn't seem like the right equation to me.

That's not to say he doesn't like those quarterbacks (he's spoken highly of Roschon Johnson in the past), just that taking three in a row who require physical development is living a bit dangerously in this offense. I wondered about Jackson's passing acumen.

Source #2: I know Jeff Blake has worked with him and thinks he has the mind/understanding he's just never been taught much. They should get Blake to work with him. He's only 8-10 miles from campus. He should work with Sam on his deep ball and Roschon on mechanics too. 

Interesting thought. Nobody ever threw a better deep ball than Blake. It fell out of the sky like yellow rain in the Swiss Alps. 

Source #2: Here's the question with JJ, can he be Ell Roberson? If he could with the talent accumulated it could work. Ell was coached at the position in HS tho ... the Baytown Lee coach was really good with QB's ... JJ doesn't have that.

The exciting thing with Jackson is there's the possibility for a big bounce in development early in his time on campus. A little coaching could go a long way. He could help give the recruiting class a bounce too.

Source #2: Texas needed JJ to jump in the class now. They need an alpha.

The beautiful thing about landing Jackson is it's a win-win. If quarterback works out it very likely means he's a difference maker. If it doesn't work out, it very likely means he's a difference maker.

OT CHAD LINDBERG

I checked in with the Clear Creek offensive tackle after his weekend official visit to Georgia. The Bulldogs have been hanging around this recruitment much longer than they did in the Sugar Bowl (you guys are probably tired of hearing about that game) and pose somewhat of a threat. Lindberg is a bit hard to get a read on at times and this is one of them. Right when you think he's nearing lock status, signs appear that he might not be. One sign was Saturday when Herb Hand offered Southlake Carroll's Andrej Karic. In typical communicative Herb Hand style he actually called Lindberg as he was boarding his flight to Athens to let him know the offer was happening and to not be alarmed. 

On the Georgia visit:
"I enjoyed it a lot! Probably biggest thing was how friendly and welcoming every player I talked to was."

Anything else stand out? What's next? 
"I wouldn’t say anything else stood out but overall I liked it a lot. Can’t let out those secrets yet."

I asked him about his shoulder:
"Not 100% yet but getting there."

The Lindbergs are going to take three more official visits before the dead period begins later this month though Chad doesn't want those destinations divulged just yet. Obviously he's playing things much closer to the vest than he has in the past but with him knocking out the rest of his official visits this month this seems like it sets up for a July/August decision. I'm still picking Texas for Lindberg but I'm pretty curious to see what other visits he'll take. 

DE PHILIP BLIDI

The 6-foot-3.5, 245 pound Portales, New Mexico defensive end is one of the easiest kids to root for in recent cycles. He's overcome a lot in life but his positive attitude and mature perspective are on full display each time we message. He seems like he'd be a dream to coach.

On his pre-camp visit:
"Today I had a great time at The University of Texas! What really impressed me the most is the way they take care of their athletes academically! All the Coaches do their best to prepare their players for life after football."

Did they say anyting about an offer?
"Basically, all I have to do is show out tomorrow at the camp!"

What he's looking for in a school:
"I want to go into a program that really values family! I am looking for a program that values academics, just as much as they value winning!"

Seems like you're not afraid of some time in the weight room? (gauging his work ethic)
"I basically live there! That's my safe place."

I wonder if he gets an offer. I wonder if they re-appropriate an o-line scholarship for this class to defensive line. It's something we'll keep an eye out for.

Edited by satyanash

Just now, satyanash said:

(Eric Nahlin) Tuesday recruiting notes: JJ is dynamite, Leanberg?, the Blidi side

Reveal hidden contents

Too bad I didn't have a fourth topic because each one of those puns was worse than the one before it.

THE CASE FOR QB JA'QUINDEN JACKSON

I've been vociferous that Duncanville's Ja'Quinden Jackson has a very long way to go as a quarterback and could very well end up at a number of positions. Ian has said similar, as has "coach" from Notebook fame, and some college contacts. 

In an effort to hear both sides, I sought comment from experts who like Jackson's chances to remain in the pocket a little longer. 

We'll start with, @malaise: he's gonna rip **** and pee on em like @Toadvine peeing in snow on the side of the matterhorn but in south dallas slang instead of french brah

Next, we'll talk to a couple of "football" people. These two know their stuff, one in particular I lean heavily on from time to time to get his take on quarterbacks. He's a bit of a mechanics snob so I was surprised to hear his take.

[quotes are not verbatim but context is unchanged]

Source #1: Ja'Quinden is the best power running quarterback since Tebow. Name one better. Even with him being limited as a passer you can build around him, just need some speed on the outside. Texas needs to get some speed on the outside for him.

Funny he said that because recently I was wondering how Jackson would look in a veer-n-shoot type of offense. 

Source #1: And he'll need time to develop but he's so special as a runner they should give him a package from day-one.

I interjected and said I'm not sure they're going to want to take a senior Sam Ehlinger from the field.

Source #1: Give him a package in case Ehlinger gets hurt.

Again, I was a bit surprised by this source's optimism given he's a fan of passing mechanics but he's just that taken by Jackson's ability as a runner and his fit within the Herman offense that he thinks Hudson Card will have a real competition on his hand.

Source #2: I'm just glad they have a big body alpha that could work out ... I'm not a fan of the three smallish bodies at QB three classes in a row (after Rising transfer) ... Thompson, Johnson and Card. That just doesn't seem like the right equation to me.

That's not to say he doesn't like those quarterbacks (he's spoken highly of Roschon Johnson in the past), just that taking three in a row who require physical development is living a bit dangerously in this offense. I wondered about Jackson's passing acumen.

Source #2: I know Jeff Blake has worked with him and thinks he has the mind/understanding he's just never been taught much. They should get Blake to work with him. He's only 8-10 miles from campus. He should work with Sam on his deep ball and Roschon on mechanics too. 

Interesting thought. Nobody ever threw a better deep ball than Blake. It fell out of the sky like yellow rain in the Swiss Alps. 

Source #2: Here's the question with JJ, can he be Ell Roberson? If he could with the talent accumulated it could work. Ell was coached at the position in HS tho ... the Baytown Lee coach was really good with QB's ... JJ doesn't have that.

The exciting thing with Jackson is there's the possibility for a big bounce in development early in his time on campus. A little coaching could go a long way. He could help give the recruiting class a bounce too.

Source #2: Texas needed JJ to jump in the class now. They need an alpha.

The beautiful thing about landing Jackson is it's a win-win. If quarterback works out it very likely means he's a difference maker. If it doesn't work out, it very likely means he's a difference maker.

OT CHAD LINDBERG

I checked in with the Clear Creek offensive tackle after his weekend official visit to Georgia. The Bulldogs have been hanging around this recruitment much longer than they did in the Sugar Bowl (you guys are probably tired of hearing about that game) and pose somewhat of a threat.

Lindberg is a bit hard to get a read on at times and this is one of them. Right when you think he's nearing lock status, signs appear that he might not be.

One sign was Saturday when Herb Hand offered Southlake Carroll's Andrej Karic. In typical communicative Herb Hand style he actually called Lindberg as he was boarding his flight to Athens to let him know the offer was happening and to not be alarmed. 

On the Georgia visit:
"I enjoyed it a lot! Probably biggest thing was how friendly and welcoming every player I talked to was."

Anything else stand out? What's next? 
"I wouldn’t say anything else stood out but overall I liked it a lot. Can’t let out those secrets yet."

I asked him about his shoulder:
"Not 100% yet but getting there."

The Lindbergs are going to take three more official visits before the dead period begins later this month though Chad doesn't want those destinations divulged just yet. Obviously he's playing things much closer to the vest than he has in the past but with him knocking out the rest of his official visits this month this seems like it sets up for a July/August decision. 

I'm still picking Texas for Lindberg but I'm pretty curious to see what other visits he'll take. 

DE PHILIP BLIDI

The 6-foot-3.5, 245 pound Portales, New Mexico defensive end is one of the easiest kids to root for in recent cycles. He's overcome a lot in life but his positive attitude and mature perspective are on full display each time we message. He seems like he'd be a dream to coach.

On his pre-camp visit:
"Today I had a great time at The University of Texas! What really impressed me the most is the way they take care of their athletes academically! All the Coaches do their best to prepare their players for life after football."

Did they say anyting about an offer?
"Basically, all I have to do is show out tomorrow at the camp!"

What he's looking for in a school:
"I want to go into a program that really values family! I am looking for a program that values academics, just as much as they value winning!"

Seems like you're not afraid of some time in the weight room? (gauging his work ethic)
"I basically live there! That's my safe place."

I wonder if he gets an offer. I wonder if they re-appropriate an o-line scholarship for this class to defensive line. It's something we'll keep an eye out for.

Find me on Twitter @EricNahlin, or the Red Lion

Sounds like IT is cottoning on to the Lindberg hesitation.

Is Omeire a better student than Johnston? Maybe that is why Texas has had him prioritized higher. Or maybe there is a potential character difference.

I’ve noticed that Herman sometimes goes after the better character reference and student, then goes after a more risky prospect if they strike out on high character/grade guys. See T. Carter.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

My view is that he's fucking great as the last of 4 WR takes or as the 25th man in a class. If taking him means we don't land/pursue someone like Johnston, the opportunity cost isn't worth it. Take 4 guys a year like him and we wind up with no gamebreaking ability whatsoever, and a bunch of Phillip Paynes, Josh Marshalls, DJ Grants, and Dan Buckners clogging up the roster. 

Contrary to what sarvanaash and others might wish to contest, a group of us have formed a view of Omeire on this board that is derived from independent data points saying the same shit about his speed, and comparing notes on this thread. golfclap, Fud, etc., and I are not talking to the same people as far as I know, and I don't think any of us are talking to just a guy out there. People who have seen Omeire in camp and in drills think his speed and quickness is pedestrian, and dismissively so. He's big with great hands, but not elite big. So at best, you have LJH lite. At worst? Looks like Montre Webber.  

this post should come with a trigger warning. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

More or less how I'd have the top 25 (there are a couple of qualification concerns on here that I'm not discounting yet, as it's too early for that). I tried to stop at 14, but couldn't. This is mostly from hudl, and a little info I hear from others. 

1) Demond Demas

2) Zach Evans

3) Vernon Broughton

4) Drew Sanders

5) Ja'Quinden Jackson

6) Ty'Kieast Crawford 

7) Alfred Collins

8') Bryson Washington

9) Jalen Kimber

10) Jaylen Garth

11) Nate Anderson 

12) Garrett Hayes

13) Jase McClellan

14) Chad Lindberg

15) Kitan Crawford

16) Jaylon Jones

17) Devon Achane

18) Seth McGowan

19) Hudson Card

20) Haynes King

21) Quentin Johnston

22) Caleb Medford

23) Logan Parr

24) Andrej Karic

25) Jake Majors

I think this is a solid ranking.  I would put Jackson at 3 though.  Broughton has a long ways to go and Jackson can be elite at about 3 different positions.  Also agree that Demas should be 1.  He’s an absolute freak athlete in his own class.  I’d also have Chris Thompson in the 9-12 range and I would drop Bryson Washington down to 20-25.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I like it overall.  The one I feel like I must be missing something on is Lindberg, though. I know he’s been a target of ours forever, has high rankings on all the services, and some big schools after him.  But when I watch his film, he looks stiff when he moves.  And while he’s big, he looks more like he’s just carrying a lot of weight rather than being some kind of natural giant like Leonard Davis or DJ Fluker.  He has the requisite clips of him mauling 200 lb high school players when he gets his hands on them, but honestly, if I didn’t know his ranking I would assume he’s a Baylor/Tech/Okie State level recruit.

If Finkel is Einhorn.... hope Lindberg isn't Hindenburg

giphy.gif

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I think this is a solid ranking.  I would put Jackson at 3 though.  Broughton has a long ways to go and Jackson can be elite at about 3 different positions.  Also agree that Demas should be 1.  He’s an absolute freak athlete in his own class.  I’d also have Chris Thompson in the 9-12 range and I would drop Bryson Washington down to 20-25.

It's picking nits when you're debating guys who are right next to each other in the rankings. I'm high on Broughton because of the ease of his movements and how well he carries 6'5 285. It's easy to see him turning into a 315 pound monster who maintains his athleticism 

I love Thompson, but like Dorbah, he's kind of a niche player who's pigeonholed into a role; Thompson is purely a run stuffing box safety, and Dorbah is a pure edge rusher. Both are fine, because they fit roles in our defense, but to me that downgrades them a little bit. Plus, who do you drop out of the top 25 to make room for him? I wanted to include White and Dorbah. 

Washington's hudl is great, he's the best DB in the state to me, easily 

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

@malaise: he's gonna rip **** and pee on em like @Toadvine peeing in snow on the side of the matterhorn but in south dallas slang instead of french brah...

Someone has a fetish.

(Eric Nahlin)     Ja'Quinden Jackson     

Source #2: I know Jeff Blake has worked with him and thinks he has the mind/understanding he's just never been taught much. They should get Blake to work with him. He's only 8-10 miles from campus. He should work with Sam on his deep ball and Roschon on mechanics too.  Interesting thought. Nobody ever threw a better deep ball than Blake. 

Here's a QB coach I'd like a session with... 😀

giphy.gif

• Like 2

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

For those who don’t know any better, VaHorn is a long time price of shit poster with behaviors that surpass any of the biggest coaching apologists that any of you can recall. He was a staunch defender of Greg Davis and Mack Brown, well into their decline. He loved Charlie Strong and Shawn Watson. He mocked posters on 247 for not liking the Watson hire and then did his little downvoting game on anyone who ever uttered a negative word about the guy during his time at Texas. He’s been a Tim Beck OC defender from day one. He’s a LotusHorn, EJ Holland and Chip Brown sycophant. He brings nothing to the table but snark and downvotes and should be put on ignore and negvoted into banishment. Interacting with this goober is an exercise in futility. He has nothing to bring to the table beyond “but your not a corchez!!” rhetoric. 

That is such a load of horseshit, but typical ctj. I always hated Greg Davis and naively thought he was the problem. A coordinator or two later, I realized that Mack was equally at fault if not more so. I wanted Muschamp over Mack (not sure how well that would have worked). I did predict that it was unlikely that Mack’s replacement would recruit as well. You were always a “Texas recruits itself” simpleton. 

What I have done multiple times is point out that you are a pompous buffoon that always recreates history in a self-aggrandizing way.  Such a fragile ego you have, lol. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I do agree with the idea that great offensive line play can make all kinds of garbage gameplans look good.

with a dominant OLine you can do pretty much whatever you want.  everything works.  playcalling is irrelevant. 

the big uglies are the most important players on the team. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-Mentioned this earlier, but Lindberg has a ticking clock. Big, guard-ish, and soft isn't ideal anyway, but there's a bragging rights element and so forth. I don't think Texas wants to see him elsewhere, but they might not be waiting around for bullshit past the next month or so. SLC guy is apparently a pure tackle prospect. Some of you dorky OL enthusiasts can fact check that take.

So Lindenberg.......

giphy.gif