Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

On to controversy and miscellany:

-Two white WR coaches means Texas needs a black WR coach in order to compete for some of these recruits. It doesn't help that Mehringer is whiter than a motherfucker. Of course, go fucking moneywhip Brewster or Traylor if you've got to go full whitey. There are numerous qualified coaching candidates that can relate to some of the prima donna, showtime WR targets like Demas, Bridges, and Wease. Guys like that have mocked UT's staff. We lack the right guy(s) at WR coach and the results mostly bear that out. If that's taboo, sorry for triggering. This isn't political. It's recruiting, and people want to work with and commit to people that they think "get them". 

-20-23 in the class, with room to go after guys in the transfer portal, as it both giveth, and taketh away. I believe that they're grossly underestimating some attrition from the lower end of the depth chart, but whatever. Texas feels good about its talent level and won't be running players off, which is going to be an interesting contradiction with what is set to occur to the east of Austin in beautiful and lit College Station.

-Talk of lump sums at this stage being tossed around in big ways for recruits is not likely to be true. Visit money to handlers for UOVs, camps, OVs, sure. $100K? $200k? Not probable at this time of the cycle. If you just follow game theory logic and negotiating strategy, that move right now doesn't behoove a bidder at this stage anyway. Not saying big numbers won't close the deals, but it will go down more like Sanders last cycle, in the waning hours of mid-December and early February. 

As always, it's recruiting, nothing is ever certain, apparently even after the ink is dry these days. If something I mention becomes incorrect, I'll circle back if I notice it and/or remember it. I know some people are too dense to fathom the fluidity, but assume the rest of you get it.

Nice new sig.

29 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Comma splice

Technically, I think a comma splice is when two independent clauses are joined with a comma and without a conjunction. He has a conjunction but because it's followed by a dependent clause, he doesn't need a comma. Yet this isn't a comma splice, just an unnecessary comma. Maybe we should make a sentence diagram followed by a comma decision tree.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Technically, I think a comma splice is when two independent clauses are joined with a comma and without a conjunction. He has a conjunction but because it's followed by a dependent clause, he doesn't need a comma. Yet this isn't a comma splice, just an unnecessary comma. Maybe we should make a sentence diagram followed by a comma decision tree.

Fuck me.  You're right.  I'm going to grammar timeout for the rest of the day.

12 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Yep, it's not a comma splice. The comma isn't grammatically necessary (comma could be used here as a pause) but its use is to indicate a pause for effect. Author discretion here allows for either. The fact that CTJ is taking a swipe at his detractors, I think makes the comma necessary.

33 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

It is all one clause with a compound predicate.

20 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Yep, it's not a comma splice. The comma isn't grammatically necessary (comma could be used here as a pause) but its use is to indicate a pause for effect. Author discretion here allows for either. The fact that CTJ is taking a swipe at his detractors, I think makes the comma necessary.

Am is are was were be being been

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Never realized how ridiculously racist the Illini mascot is. Might as well be chief wahoo drinking fire water and smoking a peace pipe while scalping a white devil 

Eff that noise.  The attempt to remove every reference to Native American culture and history is the true racism.  I can see the issue with stuff like the Redskins, but the Illini, Seminole and Sioux are proud parts of geographical history of the schools they represent.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

Eff that noise.  The attempt to remove every reference to Native American culture and history is the true racism.  I can see the issue with stuff like the Redskins, but the Illini, Seminole and Sioux are proud parts of geographical history of the schools they represent. 

I generally agree, but it's important to have the tribes agree to it (like Florida State did). North Dakota and Illinois weren't able to convince them it was a positive portrayal.

Also having a white dude wear facepaint as the mascot is a bit iffy.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

I'm pretty sure Sioux is a derogatory term used by surrounding tribes to describe the Lakota. I think it means "enemy" or something similar. so, maybe not so proud. JS

• Like 2

I'm not gonna CR this thread up but I have to go on record that this is a profoundly ignorant take. I'll leave it at that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

Mike Roach: JaQuinden Jackson's commitment could be first step in winning Dallas

Sometimes all you need is a spark. With the Longhorns going through a slow period in recruiting, the commitment of Duncanville’s Ja'Quinden Jackson could kickstart the Texas recruiting effort in 2020, but it could lead to a more significant step. Tom Herman’s staff at Texas has a stellar recruiting record during their tenure in Austin. There’s little to find fault with around their recruiting strategy, but one weak point has been a lack of success in the Dallas area.

In 2018, the Longhorns missed out on D-FW targets Bobby Brown (Arlington Lamar), Alston Orji (Rockwall), DaShaun White (Richland), and Atanza Vongor (South Grand Prairie). 2019 was a much deeper class in the Dallas area, and the staff was unable to land Theo Wease (Allen), Dylan Wright (West Mesquite), Baylor Cupp (Brock), EJ Ndoma-Ogar (Allen), NaNa Osafo-Mensah (Nolan Catholic), Lewis Cine (Trinity Christian-Cedar Hill), Brian Williams (Bishop Dunne), Demani Richardson (Waxahachie), and Jalen Catalon (Mansfield Legacy).

When we talk about Dallas recruiting, it encompasses more than just inside the city limits. The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex stretches from Prosper in the north to Waxahachie in the south depending on who you ask. It can go as far as Terrell to the east and Weatherford to the west. Texas already holds commitments from D-FW prospects Jake Majors and Jaden Hullaby, but Jackson sends a different message. Duncanville sits on the southern edge of Dallas, it’s a stop along the I-20 corridor which features athletes from Cedar Hill, Lancaster, Desoto, and South Oak Cliff. Jackson is the most high-profile star in the metroplex. A unicorn of a player who led Duncanville back to the state championship game last season with borderline supernatural ability, Jackson had the attention of the entire metroplex last season.

The Longhorns built their impressive 2018 class on the strength of their ties in the Houston area. Their “H-Town Takeover” effort at the University of Houston established their presence in the region, and it came at a time when Dallas had a down year in talent. In the following cycle, they struggled to gain a lot of traction in D-FW. Texas is such a big state that the cultures of its two major cities are completely different. Tim Beck deserves all of the credit for pitching Jackson a future at the quarterback position, but the assist came from assistant wide receiver coach Ra’Shaad Samples.

A former star recruit from Dallas Skyline and the son of legendary Duncanville head coach Reginald Samples, Ra’Shaad provided an excellent line of communication between Jackson and the Texas program. While Samples can’t hit the road in his role, he’s been a great weapon as an on-campus recruiter for Dallas-area prospects. Samples is as much a part of the Dallas culture as Rudy’s chicken or Reunion Tower. With Jackson now onboard, Texas can focus in on their remaining targets in “Big D”. That includes Jackson’s teammate and four-star safety Chris Thompson and priority 2021 offensive line target Savion Byrd. Highland Park defensive end Prince Dorbah, Bishop Dunne linebacker Brennon Scott, and Arlington high cornerback Jahari Rogers are pieces Texas can add to this class in hopes of landing in elite territory. The one thing missing from the Texas recruiting arsenal was a made man in Dallas. Not only do the Longhorns have one on staff in Samples, they just landed the biggest star in the city.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: JaQuinden Jackson's commitment could be first step in winning Dallas

Reveal hidden contents

Sometimes all you need is a spark. With the Longhorns going through a slow period in recruiting, the commitment of Duncanville’s Ja'Quinden Jackson could kickstart the Texas recruiting effort in 2020, but it could lead to a more significant step. Tom Herman’s staff at Texas has a stellar recruiting record during their tenure in Austin. There’s little to find fault with around their recruiting strategy, but one weak point has been a lack of success in the Dallas area.

In 2018, the Longhorns missed out on D-FW targets Bobby Brown (Arlington Lamar), Alston Orji (Rockwall), DaShaun White (Richland), and Atanza Vongor (South Grand Prairie). 2019 was a much deeper class in the Dallas area, and the staff was unable to land Theo Wease (Allen), Dylan Wright (West Mesquite), Baylor Cupp (Brock), EJ Ndoma-Ogar (Allen), NaNa Osafo-Mensah (Nolan Catholic), Lewis Cine (Trinity Christian-Cedar Hill), Brian Williams (Bishop Dunne), Demani Richardson (Waxahachie), and Jalen Catalon (Mansfield Legacy).

When we talk about Dallas recruiting, it encompasses more than just inside the city limits. The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex stretches from Prosper in the north to Waxahachie in the south depending on who you ask. It can go as far as Terrell to the east and Weatherford to the west. Texas already holds commitments from D-FW prospects Jake Majors and Jaden Hullaby, but Jackson sends a different message. Duncanville sits on the southern edge of Dallas, it’s a stop along the I-20 corridor which features athletes from Cedar Hill, Lancaster, Desoto, and South Oak Cliff. Jackson is the most high-profile star in the metroplex. A unicorn of a player who led Duncanville back to the state championship game last season with borderline supernatural ability, Jackson had the attention of the entire metroplex last season.

The Longhorns built their impressive 2018 class on the strength of their ties in the Houston area. Their “H-Town Takeover” effort at the University of Houston established their presence in the region, and it came at a time when Dallas had a down year in talent. In the following cycle, they struggled to gain a lot of traction in D-FW. Texas is such a big state that the cultures of its two major cities are completely different. Tim Beck deserves all of the credit for pitching Jackson a future at the quarterback position, but the assist came from assistant wide receiver coach Ra’Shaad Samples.

A former star recruit from Dallas Skyline and the son of legendary Duncanville head coach Reginald Samples, Ra’Shaad provided an excellent line of communication between Jackson and the Texas program. While Samples can’t hit the road in his role, he’s been a great weapon as an on-campus recruiter for Dallas-area prospects. Samples is as much a part of the Dallas culture as Rudy’s chicken or Reunion Tower. With Jackson now onboard, Texas can focus in on their remaining targets in “Big D”. That includes Jackson’s teammate and four-star safety Chris Thompson and priority 2021 offensive line target Savion Byrd. Highland Park defensive end Prince Dorbah, Bishop Dunne linebacker Brennon Scott, and Arlington high cornerback Jahari Rogers are pieces Texas can add to this class in hopes of landing in elite territory. The one thing missing from the Texas recruiting arsenal was a made man in Dallas. Not only do the Longhorns have one on staff in Samples, they just landed the biggest star in the city.

Didn't put the Samples/Duncanville connection together until reading this. Guess I had glossed over that part in anything else I've read about Ra'Shaad. Though I'm still on the Ra-Shaad wagon, I'll slow down a bit. His father being JQJ's coach couldn't have done anything but help tremendously in his recruitment (orrr, is that the point?)

Edited by UncleBuck

19 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't see them. Servers are probably down 

JQJ dropped 33 spots and Chris Thompson dropped 162 spots.  Bryson Washington dropped a bunch as well.  Parr not in top 250 anymore.

Jahari Rogers is now #189

Majors moved up 53 spots and Alford made a big jump.

Jaylon Jones dropped 21 spots.

Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

JQJ dropped 33 spots and Chris Thompson dropped 162 spots.  Bryson Washington dropped a bunch as well.  Parr not in top 250 anymore.

Are you just looking them up individually, or is there a link yet? 

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

wow

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well that's just odd all around

52 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Did Thompson go to a Rivals camp and hve like the worst testing numbers ever? Dropping 162 spots is insane,

Also, Rivals' ranking of Dorba has been hilarious.

Dec 18: #172

March 19: Outside 250

Now: #90.

I have no idea what could possibly cause them to move him all over the rankings like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

Didn't put the Samples/Duncanville connection together until reading this. Guess I had glossed over that part in anything else I've read about Ra'Shaad. Though I'm still on the Ra-Shaad wagon, I'll slow down a bit. His father being JQJ's coach couldn't have done anything but help tremendously in his recruitment (orrr, is that the point?)

This is the kind of hard hitting analysis we've come to rely upon from you, Buck. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Did Thompson go to a Rivals camp and hve like the worst testing numbers ever? Dropping 162 spots is insane,

He can't cover worth a shit in camp settings which are tough for cover corners much less box safeties. He's good at real football though, one of the better safeties in runs support you'll come across 

I think top 250 or wherever he'll end up is fine 

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

He can't cover worth a shit in camp settings which are tough for cover corners much less box safeties. He's good at real football though, one of the better safeties in runs support you'll come across 

I think top 250 or wherever he'll end up is fine 

I'd love it if Thompson could bulk up to 220-230 lb. range and be a LB for us.

• Like 1