Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

6 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Also I have no idea why y'all randomly soured on Lindberg. Dude did well at camps, has an offer from Stanford and Clemson, two of the other stingiest schools when it comes to offers with both indicating he's likely a good culture fit in different ways, and is well-respected by his fellow OL and by Hand. I'm seriously confused. Is there anything that prompted this or is it a general malaise that came over due to him not committing yet/upset because he doesn't look upset in enough pictures?

You have another camp video, these are all I've seen?  I definitely think he is OG material, no way he plays outside in college. The concern is he is topping 330lb before senior season and its not great weight. He looks great against weaker competition but not so good against better competition. That said he's got a mean streak, is a great run blocker and Hand likes him. I think he would be a great addition on the inside.

https://247sports.com/Video/Chad-Lindberg-Under-Armour-Future-50-Clips-8967357/

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

If the staff wants to only take four OL for whatever reason, I like Karic over Lindberg, but I’d prefer to take both 

Yeah. Ideally, i’d Swap out Parr for Lindberg and then take Karic if we’re limited to 4 OL, but I don’t buy we’re putting a hard stop at 4 if they can land a long-term OT prospect they like, be it Karic or some other late bloomer.  

We don’t have much OL depth and we’ll lose 4 of our current guys in the next 2 years. We only took 4 in 2018 and 2019. We can take two big classes in a row and guys like Brockermeyer and Bird won’t be scared off by our 2020 class.

Edited by Burt Macklin

I'm in Kamp Karic. I watched the first handful of plays on 247 and he's a bully on the field. In his photo, he looks like he's heading to burn his neighbor's barn with the animals locked inside. I get the feeling you shouldn't mess with his sister, and you really can't do anything about it if he wants to mess with yours.

On an official visit somewhere with Chad, you can see them sitting together in a film room.

Chad: How'd you like your cookie cake?

Karic turns his head slowly to look Chad up and down. Cookies make you soft. I fed mine to a rat.

A rat?

Then I ate the rat. Protein makes you strong.

Um. Did you kill and cook the rat?

The corner of Karic's mouth bends slightly upward. He slowly turns away from Chad.

• Like 8

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah. Ideally, i’d Swap out Parr for Lindberg and then take Karic if we’re limited to 4 OL, but I don’t buy we’re putting a hard stop at 4 if they can land a long-term OT prospect they like, be it Karic or some other late bloomer.  

We don’t have much OL depth and we’ll lose 4 of our current guys in the next 2 years. We only took 4 in 2018 and 2019. We can take row big classes in a row an shuts like Brockenmeyer and Bird won’t be scared off by our 2020 class.

Parr and Lindberg have about the same value in my mind at this point. Parr is enrolling early, his frame is looking better, and has no injury concerns, whereas Lindberg’s body has been trending in the wrong direction, and he’s dealing with a shoulder injury. We’ll see how the senior year looks for both. 

We were tackle heavy last class, so I’d go ahead and bring in two guards in 2020, although the staff has been spreading that they might only take four total

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The Lindberg hate us getting out of control.

He didn’t perform that poorly at camps. He got beat a few times by speed rushers, which won’t be an issue when he plays guard in college. He’s got better feet than Parr and he’s comparable to Majors’ while being bigger and stronger than Majors. 

His best case scenario is a dominating guard in both the run and pass. And it’s not like we’re non-offering/not pursuing some way better prospect because of Lindberg. 

He got his ass whipped in private at the UA 50 camp, then feigned an injury and sulked on the sidelines. Those in attendance weren’t impressed. Guys who do that don’t tend to be alphas who kick ass in college. 

One thing that hasn’t been addressed on this board is that OL personality types are not going to lend themselves easily to the transfer portal. They tend to want to avoid drama and once inked into a program, they’re there. Guys like Shepherd and Lindberg don’t fit that, and it’s additional material to consider when recruiting them versus someone comparable. 

Shepherd is on campus because they thought/think he’s worth the effort. In fact, there’s a thought out there that he has the potential to be a day one NFL draft pick and if he achieves that level of development, he validated the whole class. I tend to believe that if the WRs, Gbenda and the TEs show well, anything else, including the head case OT developing within the class, is gravy. 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Parr and Lindberg have about the same value in my mind at this point. Parr is enrolling early, his frame is looking better, and has no injury concerns

Agreed. Parr has also had less coaching, so he will likely make big early leaps in his development.

With the rolling 3 year OL class I’m good with them taking several interior guys - esp with 2021 being OT heavy once again. 

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

yall make fun of daddy98 but there's a shitton of daddy98s on this board.  the coach on this staff whose eval i trust the most is Hand.  no one is perfect in evals and offer, but that dude did wonders for this line.  last year's success is mostly on him, the o line, and sam.  i'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on lindberg.

Yep, and he understands the most important factor is decided "when the sperm hits the egg".

He's not like that weirdo OL coach from the Bengals that didn't even make it a season with the Cowboys.  That fucker believed how lineman poured ketchup was very telling about their future performance. 

There are definitely flags with Lindberg but his greatest sin is possibly that he's been on the radar forever, so there's more to pick at. This sort of thing happens before the NFL draft where they start to overanalyze and nitpick the well known prospects. That said, the concerns are valid and we all suffer from oline PTSD from the late Mack Brown era. Couple that with the services historically poor oline eval track record, the notion that this kid maxed out early and that our most recent success with oline have tended to be under the radar guys who were undersized in HS and I'm getting a really strong Mason Walters vibe here.

25 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

On one hand, it's remarkably stupid for a recruit to post a picture of himself with a wad of cash. On the other, that wad is all of $340. Even Kizer goes harder than that.

kizer-cash.jpg

• Haha 1

He's said since the beginning that he will take all his visits and then commit.  Y'all are acting like aggy.  I don't think he's a 5 star prospect but not sure what all the bitching is about.  Majors got whipped at every camp I've seen yet no one here is bitching.  These camp settings aren't friendly to the OL.  The majority of the state has yet to commit.  It's not like he's dragging this out to signing day.  If he commits great, if not, we have the tackle prospect we seem to be going after.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

On one hand, it's remarkably stupid for a recruit to post a picture of himself with a wad of cash. On the other, that wad is all of $340. Even Kizer goes harder than that

Not that it matters but I counted at least $400.  It looks like there are two $100's and maybe ten to twelve $20's.

Also, who knows what other money / personal items may be in his purse.

Forensic analysis complete.

Do I have to do everything myself?  There are 2 hundreds (marked with blue numbers) and either 12 or 13 twenties (marked in red).  So it's either $440 or $460.  Again, not some unbelievable amount of money, although more than CTJ's plain cheerios-eating ass had when he was Evans's age.

evans-stack.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:
D9YM-W_UEAAzl3k.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

No Lindberg?  I guess he does suck.  Did they at least invite him to come to the event and pout on the sidelines?

Dear Chad's mom, if you're reading this, we're just kidding.  Please tell Chad to tell Bijan to come to Texas.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Do I have to do everything myself?  There are 2 hundreds (marked with blue numbers) and either 12 or 13 twenties (marked in red).  So it's either $440 or $460.  Again, not some unbelievable amount of money, although more than CTJ's plain cheerios-eating ass had when he was Evans's age.

My bad. Benjamin Franklin and Andrew Jackson look exactly the same to me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

evans-stack.jpg

I couldn't see #5 from the original, but I remember thinking that spot looked funny.  I assumed #10 to definitely be a $20 but I wasn't sure if #13 was maybe the other end of a different bill.  

Should we be worried about USC? I feel like they are gaining momentum because players somehow know/think that Meyer will be there next year. I really think that this is why Bru McCoy and Chris Steele ended up there.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, JNip said:

Should we be worried about USC? I feel like they are gaining momentum because players somehow know/think that Meyer will be there next year. I really think that this is why Bru McCoy and Chris Steele ended up there.

So that means Clay Helton knows who his successor is? Stick to rooting for Mexico's soccer team, JNip.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JNip said:

Will you proceed differently if the answer is yes or no? 

Just now, JNip said:

giphy.gif

Bunch of kids taking free trips to LA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I don’t think he is better than any of our current commits. He’s a 320 pound junior that performed poorly in camp. He’s the exact guy Mack would jump all over and the recruiting services would overrate because he is bigger than everyone at a younger age. Best case, he is a good guard. He is not going to play tackle here so why save his ship into the fall? 

But is he in a wheelchair?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

giphy.gif

Bunch of kids taking free trips to LA

Agreed. Just wondering what everyone thought. Also, if they are true and Meyer goes to USC in December, he won't have these players' OVs. Just opening up a discussion on college theories.

1 minute ago, JNip said:

Agreed. Just wondering what everyone thought. Also, if they are true and Meyer goes to USC in December, he won't have these players' OVs. Just opening up a discussion on college theories.

Meyer/USC only become a problem for us in this cycle if we underperform during the season. I don't see us having guys poached if we win 10+ again.

9 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Anybody got the TFB update from this morning?

***As you know, 5-star WR Johnny Wilson is set to be in town for another unofficial visit this weekend.

I got word from someone close to Johnny Wilson that the early sense that UCLA was going to be a big threat isn’t as likely right now.

Hearing Texas, Oregon and Washington. Have been told Wilson very much likes Texas but he’s downplay it a bit to media folks.

***We have heard that 2020 WR, Quentin Johnston (Temple, TX) may take his official visit to Texas this weekend.

I’ve reached out to a coach over at Temple to confirm. Still waiting to hear back. I’ll reach out to Quentin and his father to see if we can get that confirmed one way or another.

***Also, as we mentioned back on May 2nd (here), 2020 CB Jahari Rogers will take his official visit to Texas this weekend.

Last I spoke with Rogers, a summer decision was the plan and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him announce something very soon after this official visit.

***Lastly, I was told that Justin Flowe had hoped to make it in this weekend however it appears that won’t happen. The person who was set to accompany Flowe had another engagement. Still do expect Flowe to make it in at some point. Still believe USC is the team to beat though…

Which is probably a good thing in that things could go south for them in a hurry. Not good when Clemson or Alabama are the teams to beat.

• Like 4

Ohio State mod has some Perroni to him:

Can Ohio State get Bijan Robinson? Yes they can. Are they getting him? No Crystal Ball pick yet from me on any school. Why is that? Because I want to wait and let all the visits be completed and see where things are. Like with Milton, Ohio State did a great job with Bijan and they have put themselves in the game to land him. Are they the favorite? No, I think that might be Texas but OSU gave him a lot to think about.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Snowy said:

***As you know, 5-star WR Johnny Wilson is set to be in town for another unofficial visit this weekend.

I got word from someone close to Johnny Wilson that the early sense that UCLA was going to be a big threat isn’t as likely right now.

Hearing Texas, Oregon and Washington. Have been told Wilson very much likes Texas but he’s downplay it a bit to media folks.

***We have heard that 2020 WR, Quentin Johnston (Temple, TX) may take his official visit to Texas this weekend.

I’ve reached out to a coach over at Temple to confirm. Still waiting to hear back. I’ll reach out to Quentin and his father to see if we can get that confirmed one way or another.

***Also, as we mentioned back on May 2nd (here), 2020 CB Jahari Rogers will take his official visit to Texas this weekend.

Last I spoke with Rogers, a summer decision was the plan and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him announce something very soon after this official visit.

***Lastly, I was told that Justin Flowe had hoped to make it in this weekend however it appears that won’t happen. The person who was set to accompany Flowe had another engagement. Still do expect Flowe to make it in at some point. Still believe USC is the team to beat though…

Which is probably a good thing in that things could go south for them in a hurry. Not good when Clemson or Alabama are the teams to beat.

Joe Cook just refuted the Quentin Johnston visit report, for what it's worth.

12 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

As a slight point in his defense, he was playing Tackle at the UA game. He’ll be a guard in college and likely would’ve fared better there. He’s definitely a low-ceiling, already-developed  guy.

I think he’s good enough already that he’s a decent take, but I’m not a big fan of him, Parr, and Majors with only one actual tackle in the class.

I’d prefer one less of Parr/Majors replaced with a tackle if were only taking 4 OL in 2020.

I disagree, we have been loading up on tackles the last two cycles and next year will be an epic OT class. We are badly in need of blue chip interior depth so signing three of the best interior prospects in the state is fine by me. i still think Javonne Shepherd and Tyler Johnson will man the outsides in 2021 and beyond if Cosmi happens to leave early and they develop the way we expect them to. If Cosmi plays through his junior/senior year then we will have a hell of a 3 man rotation at tackle for a couple of years. 

• Like 3