Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

4 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Shut the fuck up about Kyler Murray. 

6 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Not to thread police, but guys we're in the midst of a big recruiting weekend and we're seriously talking about that midget Murray? Come on now!

Agreed.

Im right. They’re wrong. Let’s move on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Just to underscore what a coup this recruiting event was, here's the rundown of our priority in-state targets who attended today:

1/1 QB (Card)

2/3 RB (Evans, McClellan, Jordan didn't make it in)

1/2 outside WR (Demas, no Omeire)

0/1 inside WR (no Dixon, but he has already visited a lot)

5/5 OL (Garth, Majors, Parr, George, Lindberg)

3/4 DL (Dorbah, Broughton, Princely was at the basketball game, and the only no-show Collins visited last weekend)

1/2 LB (Scott, counting Jackson  - who didn't attend - as an LB for now)

2/4 DB (Washington, Jones, no Thompson or Snow)

That's nearly 70%, and this wasn't even junior day.

I'd throw Mookie at inside WR but still exceptional. Thanks for compiling it. 

From TFB:

UPDATE (7:30 PM): Confirmed that Aledo (TX) 5-star Oklahoma running back commit Jase McClellan and his mother are visiting Texas today. They’re spending her birthday watching Texas-OU basketball game in Austin, ironic. McClellan has been committed to OU for over a year and a half. But he is cousins with former Texas running back Jonathan Gray and has interest in UT.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Tiny hands are also never a good sign for a guy touching the ball on every offensive snap. 

7 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I mean, Alex Smith got drafted number one overall. Inspiring people with tiny hands everywhere that your dreams can come true. 

iJbhqU.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thepop said:

I dont't get why every commit is a silent these days. What happened to committing and announcing on the same day?

Playing chess these days.  Must get the most bang for the buck, lot of behind the scenes stuff, real hush hush.  Plus videos, marketing, social med-ja (in my best Jerry voice).

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Haha 1

If you look back at the guys we've had who have put on a lot of weight, they all had traits that Card doesn't have.  If someone is going to put on 40 or 50 pounds of weight, there has to be to places to put it.  That starts with big thighs and wide shoulders.  Card has narrow shoulders and skinny legs.  He's also extremely cut already which is not a good thing when someone needs to add a lot of weight.  Look at pictures of Omenihu or Orakpo in high school   They looked a little soft.  They didn't have a twelve pack and wiry arms and legs.  Guys who are over 6' and well south of 200lbs with his frame, don't end up at 220.

Edited by kevwun

17 minutes ago, kevwun said:

If you look back at the guys we've had who have put on a lot of weight, they all had traits that Card doesn't have.  If someone is going to put on 40 or 50 pounds of weight, there has to be to places to put it.  That starts with big thighs and wide shoulders.  Card has narrow shoulders and skinny legs.  He's also extremely cut already which is not a good thing when someone needs to add a lot of weight.  Look at pictures of Omenihu or Orakpo in high school   They looked a little soft.  They didn't have a twelve pack and wiry arms and legs.  Guys who are over 6' and well south of 200lbs with his frame, don't end up at 220.

Colt came in at around 160-170 and left at over 200. It can happen.

Yep, looks at Colt's shoulders and legs in high school.  Very different than Card.  Also, Card has been in an excellent strength program since middle school.  He's not a guy who's been on the school lunch program his entire life while barely touching weights.  Card looks a lot more like Case than Colt.

Edited by kevwun

Heaven forbid we talk about recruits on the recruiting board.  Some of us have been following this stuff for 20 years at this point.  You start to get a pretty good idea about physical development after awhile.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

E.J. Holland: Recruiting notes on Ja'Quinden Jackson, Jalen Kimber from Swoosh 7v7

— Elite 2020 Duncanville athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson remains high on Texas. Right now, I still feel like UT is the team to beat, but he made it clear he is still open to other options like Alabama and LSU. Texas OC Tim Beck visited Jackson this week, and the Longhorns have talked to him more about playing quarterback. Ultimately, Jackson said he still has no defined position. As far as a timeline goes, Jackson said he would likely commit at next year’s Under Armour All-America Game.

— Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington stopped by to see three-star Mansfield Timberview cornerback Jalen Kimber this week. Kimber spoke highly of Texas and raved about his relationship with Washington. The Longhorns have made a nice surge in his recruitment since offering last month, but right now, I still feel like Texas A&M has the edge. The Aggies have been recruiting him longer and impressed him on his fall visits.

— Four-star 2020 athlete DJ Graham has had some contact with Texas. Graham actually camped with the Longhorns over the summer and said an offer would have an impact on his recruitment. Graham listed LSU, Oklahoma and Ohio State as standouts, but he is very open to hearing from the Longhorns. Graham can play cornerback or wide receiver at the next level.

— Four-star 2020 defensive back RJ Mickens has visited Texas in the past and said he is still open to hearing from the Longhorns as well. While he is a Texas A&M legacy, Mickens isn’t really a lock to go there. In fact, he loves out-of-state programs like Clemson and Ohio State. Mickens is gearing up to narrow his list of schools.

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Recruiting notes on Ja'Quinden Jackson, Jalen Kimber from Swoosh 7v7

Reveal hidden contents

— Elite 2020 Duncanville athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson remains high on Texas. Right now, I still feel like UT is the team to beat, but he made it clear he is still open to other options like Alabama and LSU. Texas OC Tim Beck visited Jackson this week, and the Longhorns have talked to him more about playing quarterback. Ultimately, Jackson said he still has no defined position. As far as a timeline goes, Jackson said he would likely commit at next year’s Under Armour All-America Game.

— Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington stopped by to see three-star Mansfield Timberview cornerback Jalen Kimber this week. Kimber spoke highly of Texas and raved about his relationship with Washington. The Longhorns have made a nice surge in his recruitment since offering last month, but right now, I still feel like Texas A&M has the edge. The Aggies have been recruiting him longer and impressed him on his fall visits.

— Four-star 2020 athlete DJ Graham has had some contact with Texas. Graham actually camped with the Longhorns over the summer and said an offer would have an impact on his recruitment. Graham listed LSU, Oklahoma and Ohio State as standouts, but he is very open to hearing from the Longhorns. Graham can play cornerback or wide receiver at the next level.

— Four-star 2020 defensive back RJ Mickens has visited Texas in the past and said he is still open to hearing from the Longhorns as well. While he is a Texas A&M legacy, Mickens isn’t really a lock to go there. In fact, he loves out-of-state programs like Clemson and Ohio State. Mickens is gearing up to narrow his list of schools.

Didn’t read it because EJ Holland is virtually worthless. Still I noticed the 7x7 team name is Swoosh? I presume that means Nike is sponsoring it. If so, that’s good news for us. Similar to how Ro Simon is getting paid by Addidas to funnel his players to Addidas schools, Nike starting to do the same would be great for us. I don’t see how the shoe companies get any bang for their buck like that in football, but oh well. 

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Yep, looks at Colt's shoulders and legs in high school.  Very different than Card.  Also, Card has been in an excellent strength program since middle school.  He's not a guy who's been on the school lunch program his entire life while barely touching weights.  Card looks a lot more like Case than Colt.

All I can tell you is that I saw Colt in that championship game at the Erwin Center ---- all 6'2", 170 .lbs of him ------ and thought "there is no way this skinny runt will ever be a QB for Texas."