2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

4 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Some of us are big boys and understand the sport and know you need to go full speed on occasion. I’m not all “the sky is falling” but I can be “are you fucking kidding me?” when I see Ingram’s name pop up. The kid played hurt most of last year and was almost never as effective as he could have been. He’s ultra important this year with the thin RB room, and he has a bum knee heading into the season? I feel for him. 

This is the point being made. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It won’t matter a lick if they are or aren’t if we’ve got some walk-on in the game at RB because we made sure to tackle our thin RB group to the ground in a scrimmage.

It’s a circular argument. There’s a balance. Again, knock people’s dicks in the dirt when we have depth. Sterns is a survivable loss. Ingram’s loss is probably worth a L or three on the schedule. 

Like @texifornia said, Herman has already adjusted some, compared to 2017 when he definitely went overboard (probably in an attempt enforce "culture").

There's a threshold he's not going to cross under, though, and that means we'll be the worse for it in the short term. Sucks, but I understand it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

He's decided on his balance. Physicality is worth a couple of injuries. Nasty luck it happened to be Sterns and Ingram in the same practice, but hopefully they turn out to be minor things.

Orlando after OSU (or WVU, can't remember) that they had to go back and just work on tackling and physicality. I'm not as sure as you are, and Herman should probably wait until after games like la tech/k state/ etc. to start thinking like that. 

If you're going to make the (reasonable, even if I disagree) argument that we surround  the RBs in bubble wrap, you need to make the same argument for the offensive tackles. We have exactly two guys on the roster who we have faith can play at a P5 level on the bookend: Kerstetter and Cosmi. That's the thinnest position on the roster.

Edited by Machinator

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Would you be as pissy about it if they had gotten hurt doing drills? Or if these injuries were not because of contact? Do you also think you can see Herman’s hand? He is a pretty bright coach.

Herman is as guilty of doing stupid shit as the next guy. Remember that year where he had to reassign his whole offensive staff because he made some poor hires/coaching assignments?  Yeah. That was last year. He does seem to learn from most of his mistakes. I’ll give him that. 

And no, I wouldn’t fault the coaches for a guy tweaking a knee or ankle in non contact drills. Because that’s a reasonable ask of a thin position group. Less so when we’re hurting our own guys at positions where we can ill afford a loss in the name o physicality. 

Like I said, beat each other up when we’ve got depth. However, one live scrimmage making the physicality difference or preparing another unit to tackle elite backs during the season. Yeah. I don’t buy that. Particularly when we’re turning to a walk-on if any other thing happens with that position group. 

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If you're going to make the (reasonable, even if I disagree) argument that we surround  the RBs in bubble wrap, you need to make the same argument for the offensive tackles. We have exactly two guys on the roster who we have faith can play at a P5 level on the bookend: Kerstetter and Cosmi. That's the thinnest position on the roster.

I made some reference to that with Connor Williams. It’s a balance. It’s be nice not to sacrifice the season to reassess that balance going forward. 

We’ll see where the injuries take us. Sterns’ loss won’t sabotage the season. Ingram bing out for any extended period hurts us badly starting in week two. 

Just now, Bobby_Batronic said:

I made some reference to that with Connor Williams. It’s a balance. It’s be nice not to sacrifice the season to reassess that balance going forward. 

We’ll see where the injuries take us. Sterns’ loss won’t sabotage the season. Ingram bing out for any extended period hurts us badly starting in week two. 

That's fine, I respect your opinion.

It's just the way I see it, we'll be paying the piper one way or another. I haven't been predicting gaudy win totals like a lot of people here and elsewhere because I factored events like this into it.

39 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Curious. Previous reports have Okafor slightly better at guard and Kerstetter better at tackle. Won't be surprised with a different line up two weeks from now.

Exactly. There will likely be a healthy dose of Braun at LG because he's going to better than Angilau at the run blocking.

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That's fine, I respect your opinion.

It's just the way I see it, we'll be paying the piper one way or another. I haven't been predicting gaudy win totals like a lot of people here and elsewhere because I factored events like this into it.

I figured 10-2 for the regular season because of depth and experience issues at OT, RB and LB, and because Herman hasn’t shown the ability to have his team consistently ready to beat a scrub or two each season. 2020 is the year that this thing really comes together.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

No one is saying you can’t have full contact  hard hitting practices.  Sure, put Danny Young back there and tell the defense to go at it.  The coaches have seen all they need from Ingram and there’s really no need to have him in there taking blows when we have zero depth behind him.  There are maybe 3 players that we 100% cannot afford to lose due to lack of depth.  Those are Sam, Keaontay, and Cosmi and maybe Shack.  You limit their reps in hard hitting practices.  If we lose Collin, Sterns, Duv... whatever, there is depth behind them.  Now we have a 215 lb talented Fr converted WR as our starter who is just now learning the position.  That is stupid roster management by this staff.  Next year when Bijan is here, have the defense go at Keaontay.  Until then, maybe sit him out during a practice where you tell the defense to lay the wood.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 1

To be fair, we’ve had some shit luck with RBs. The kid from Georgia with the head issue, Kirk is glass, early indications of Ingram shaping up to have an oft-injured career and the transfers.

That said, we should have gone hard early after a grad/Juco/reg. transfer and closed the deal with Noah Cain last cycle but that’s in the past.

I wonder if Jake Smith gets a look at RB and becomes the next McCaffrey(no racist).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, victory88 said:

No one is saying you can’t have full contact  hard hitting practices.  Sure, put Danny Young back there and tell the defense to go at it.  The coaches have seen all they need from Ingram and there’s really no need to have him in there taking blows when we have zero depth behind him.  There are maybe 3 players that we 100% cannot afford to lose due to lack of depth.  Those are Sam, Keaontay, and Cosmi and maybe Shack.  You limit their reps in hard hitting practices.  If we lose Collin, Sterns, Duv... whatever, there is depth behind them.  Now we have a 215 lb talented Fr converted WR as our starter who is just now learning the position.  That is stupid roster management by this staff.  Next year when Bijan is here, have the defense go at Keaontay.  Until then, maybe sit him out during a practice where you tell the defense to lay the wood.

This is so stupid. For starters, you have no clue if the injury was from “taking blows”. It could have been a freak no-contact type injury. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1

The issue isn't physicality in practice. There simply is no other way to prepare for football.

It's poor roster management.

Only 78 of 85? on scholly and an oft-injured starting RB...makes little sense to not put other plans in to place.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 2

Just now, pacman said:

The issue isn't physicality in practice. There simply is no other way to prepare for football.

It's plain poor roster management.

Only 78? on scholly and an oft-injured starting RB...makes little sense to not put other plans in to place.

Right. They chose Toneil over Eno Benjamin and then missed on Noah Cain. The damage was done months and even years ago.

Obviously Derrian Brown was a bad beat but a mid-4* true freshman (summer enrollee) probably wasn't going to do much in the beginning of the season, anyway.

Wanna tackle a WR?  Knock his ass down. 
Wanna tackle a RB when we only have three on the roster? And only two of those are meaningful contributors? Maybe we should be smarter. 
Again, I’m all for physical practices and all our scrimmages. But gotdam, there are certain positions we can’t afford to lose. 
I assure you Sam wasn’t tackled to the ground. And for the same reason. 

Surly needs to limit your posting capabilities to ensure that you don’t sprain your vagina.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, pacman said:

The issue isn't physicality in practice. There simply is no other way to prepare for football. It's poor roster management.  Only 78 of 85? on scholly and an oft-injured starting RB...makes little sense to not put other plans in to place.

Capture.0.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Wanna tackle a RB when we only have three on the roster? And only two of those are meaningful contributors? Maybe we should be smarter. 

Again, I’m all for physical practices and all our scrimmages. But gotdam, there are certain positions we can’t afford to lose. 

The funniest thing is you have no clue if the injury actually came from contact. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is so stupid. For starters, you have no clue if the injury was from “taking blows”. It could have been a freak no-contact type injury. 

This. We have no idea what happened. Sterns coulda came down on a foot (most common way of rolling an ankle) and Ingram coulda been cutting in the open field/got rolled on by a lineman during pass pro/running a route/ etc.

breathe. It’s a contact sport.

1 minute ago, Tylerocks said:

Some of y’all need to put your jump-to-conclusions mats back in the closet.

tweaks and ankle rolls can happen at any practice at any time, contact or not.

This. I know it's Surly to jump to conclusions and overreact but for all we know they could have been limiting contact on Ingram in the scrimmage. If it's a knee injury it's just as likely it came from no contact as "taking blows". 

You have to take steps to protect players at positions that lack depth but you can't sit them on the sideline for the entire fall camp. Unfortunately, freak injuries happen all the time that don't require contact. 

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

No you aren't.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

When did Bobby_Batronic turn into a giant pussy?

34 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The funniest thing is you have no clue if the injury actually came from contact. 

43 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Bitch made 

53 minutes ago, Fire Jack Chevigny said:

Surly needs to limit your posting capabilities to ensure that you don’t sprain your vagina.

There’s the neanderthalic surly we all know and love. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

37 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You know, you’re right, and I seem to have addressed that above. But given that this is the third consecutive year that this has happened, and that it happened on a scrimmage day I have a better than fair shot of being right.

It’s possible that these are both non contact issues, and, as I said above, that’s a trade off you make at a thing position. But It’s probable that both happened in the scrimmage. 

I know, it’s easy to shout “big pussy” or “we won’t be able to tackle in October if we don’t beat up key players in August”. That’s fine. Coaches once handed out salt tablets and restricted water intake too.

It’s probable that both injuries are minor and will have both players back by the season if not large portions of the season. But it’s also just as possible that we see some 5’4” walk-on getting snaps against LSU if Ingram’s injury lingers. 

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I see reading and comprehension of that subject matter isn’t your strong suit. 

I see speculating on this subject matter is your strong suit, bitch. Keep backtracking after your vagina was leaking the last 2 pages. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1