2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

-Sweat will not be redshirting if he stays healthy. He's better than they thought, and they thought he'd be good. No point in redshirting guys that might only be around for 3 years.

-Coburn has a chance to be legitimately great this season. Did he redshirt last year? I feel like he did.

Gruntled. Will be interesting to see how many snaps Coburn is good for, but there appears to be enough depth to cover NT with at least serviceable play when he's out.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

-Worry at CB is merited, simply because experience is a true problem and there's no shortcut. The front 7 needs to find itself quickly and bring a consistent pass rush.

Not surprised. Expecting some heartburn from them and the LBs too at times. But I also think the D line will be a strength as well as the safeties. The offense may have to carry a little extra weight as the youth on D season.

48 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

No. That play happened right in front of me. They were all looking at the sideline waiting for the play to be called in. That one was 100% on the coaches. 

Actually, tape shows Boyd running across the formation trying to get into position and then hovering in the left flat after the snap. Was the play call late?  Probably was. But he’s the only one who managed to not be lined up despite that, and Locke was made to look foolish in the fallout. 

I would wager that placing Locke on Brown was not a part of the game plan. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

No. That play happened right in front of me. They were all looking at the sideline waiting for the play to be called in. That one was 100% on the coaches. 

maybe we aren't talking about the same play - the bomb that got OU going I think right to Brown?

while the coaches may have indeed screwed up it was also a trips formation from OU and Boyd was on the other side of the formation covering no one. and then he crossed the defense as the ball was hiked and brown ran by everyone. sure didn't look good for Boyd but yes, could still be the coaches fault

58 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Actually, tape shows Boyd running across the formation trying to get into position and then hovering in the left flat after the snap. Was the play call late?  Probably was. But he’s the only one who managed to not be lined up despite that, and Locke was made to look foolish in the fallout. 

I would wager that placing Locke on Brown was not a part of the game plan. 

yeah just commented on this too. i think it was trips and boyd was all alone on the wrong side of the field there. i remember it in real time and noticing him run across the D as the ball was hiked

53 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Haven't heard Christmas-Giles's name in a while, sounds like he's been passed up by Sweat, Ojomo, Jones, ect.  Wouldn't be surprised to hear of a transfer at some point.

I’d be surprised if he transferred - he appears to be pretty heavily involved in the music industry in Austin. 

6 minutes ago, staboner said:

yeah just commented on this too. i think it was trips and boyd was all alone on the wrong side of the field there. i remember it in real time and noticing him run across the D as the ball was hiked

I found the play on YouTube. We’re both right. OU went hyper tempo, our player were looking to the sideline for the playcall, and Boyd was working his way over to his assignment when the ball was snapped.

It was trips left, the outside two WR’s ran a wheel post combo. Brown was the wheel. The post broke his route off after the release and just kinda settled around the left hash while the inside WR ran a stick or little in route. Boyd settled under the broken off route, and Brown ran past everyone. 

27 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I found the play on YouTube. We’re both right. OU went hyper tempo, our player were looking to the sideline for the playcall, and Boyd was working his way over to his assignment when the ball was snapped.

It was trips left, the outside two WR’s ran a wheel post combo. Brown was the wheel. The post broke his route off after the release and just kinda settled around the left hash while the inside WR ran a stick or little in route. Boyd settled under the broken off route, and Brown ran past everyone. 

I just remember screaming at them to get the fucking play in for several seconds before they snapped the ball and then watching that asshole run free for 75 yards or whatever it was.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Haven't heard Christmas-Giles's name in a while, sounds like he's been passed up by Sweat, Ojomo, Jones, ect.  Wouldn't be surprised to hear of a transfer at some point.

He should go SEC - Christmas in Dixie

12 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I don't have anything else to bitch about right now, so consider me officially worried about the corner position. I don't like that I'm hearing that these corners can cover but are having ball-skill trouble. Yes, I imagine it's an incredibly difficult position to learn, but if that's the case these guys sure could've used a redshirt. Boyd and Davis were constantly turned around on deep balls and mistiming jumps and PBUs in the endzone.  Both guys were thrown in the fire as Freshmen, had two INTs their junior years, and finished their "stellar" senior years with one whopping interception. If ball skills can be learned at the corner position, these guys sure didn't seem to do it, and I hope Washington can teach Cook/Jamison/Green/Boyce to play the ball in the air or we might be in for some more Conference-level corners that don't match up with Big 12 Conference-level receivers. Hopefully we're lucky enough to not have to face Murray/Grier level play this year either.

Don't get me wrong, we're still going 12-0 this year and 12-0 next year, but this is disgruntling.

How in the world would a red-shirt year last year help their ball skills this year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I just looked up the play myself on YouTube. OU didn't go hyper tempo. The play before it was an option run by Murray out of bounds. 20 seconds elapsed before they ran their next play. For OU, that isn't exactly up tempo. I think Murray may have sped up the count once he saw how out of position Boyd was, but our guys were completely confused.  PJ Locke was looking at the sideline when the ball was snapped but before that, he was waving at the coaches and waiting for the call to come in. That play was an absolute failure on our defensive coaches. 

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I just looked up the play myself on YouTube. OU didn't go hyper tempo. The play before it was an option run by Murray out of bounds. 20 seconds elapsed before they ran their next play. For OU, that isn't exactly up tempo. I think Murray may have sped up the count once he saw how out of position Boyd was, but our guys were completely confused.  PJ Locke was looking at the sideline when the ball was snapped but before that, he was waving at the coaches and waiting for the call to come in. That play was an absolute failure on our defensive coaches. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well he's still got his RS. So he may get his 4 games and shut it down, or not play at all, work on his degree to grad transfer. Unlike other OL/DL that they put RS's on in the upper class years, I don't think the coaches mind Giles leaving.

When I saw his photos moving into the dorm a few months ago, I thought potential OT due to his enormous frame. A guy that big with the athletic skill to play QB would probably be an intriguing prospect. He probably likes the idea of still playing a “skill position,” but it could be a wise business decision to pull up a chair at the training table and put on a few. 

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

They really like Wiley, but he's still growing. It's a good problem to have, but there's a shot he grows into a massive OT.

I mentioned this possibility in the 2019 Recruiting thread.  I could see him taking the Eric Winston route.

I think there are some posters here that will not like this...

16 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Gruntled. Will be interesting to see how many snaps Coburn is good for, but there appears to be enough depth to cover NT with at least serviceable play when he's out.

Not surprised. Expecting some heartburn from them and the LBs too at times. But I also think the D line will be a strength pride of fuck lions as well as the safeties. The offense may have to carry a little extra weight as the youth on D season.

FIFY.

12 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Wiley as a tackle? I remember reading about that in dctf and not like the idea because I would love to see him as a TE. Kid seems to be a straight up football player not caring where he plays as long as he can help the team.

2 hours ago, sunset87 said:

I mentioned this possibility in the 2019 Recruiting thread.  I could see him taking the Eric Winston route.

I think there are some posters here that will not like this...

4 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

I can see him being a Jeff Swaim with better receiving skills. The physical tools are there. 

If Wiley can grow into an OT, his ceiling would be much, much higher there than TE.  Idk why anyone wouldn’t prefer OT over TE for him, assuming he could get to OT size with good weight. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If Wiley can grow into an OT, his ceiling would be much, much higher there than TE.  Idk why anyone wouldn’t prefer OT over TE for him, assuming he could get to OT size with good weight. 

I'd say it depends on his athleticism. If he can grow up to 300 pounds and be a better than average OT, great. If not, then he could be a massive, bull of a tight end. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If he is our best option at Tackle, then obviously he should play Tackle.

But if we are otherwise OK at Tackle, why wouldn't anyone want a TE that is a devastating blocker who would be a challenge for just one defender to tackle?

• Like 3