Bob Cole - We need a Banner

MirrOlure

Does he still try to buy up every last vestige of Old School Austin?   At one point he owned every sports-programming radio station in town, Hill’s (which seem to employ large chunks of the baseball team), and a building or two near campus.  

That’s a fair amount of leverage to keep his little 6-night-a-year stadium gig.  

It's hard for us who grew up with Mr. No Hype Wally Pryor to adjust to all this over the top stuff.   That was a time when the Horns acted like they'd been there before and would be back again and again.  DKR drilled that into us.  Not every play or situation had to be turned up to 10 frankly, it's fatiguing and disingenuous in a Chicken Little-ish way.   Somewhere along the line that has changed in society as a whole, I suppose. 

And if you watched it on LHN you had to suffer Galindo.   You would think that he spends so much time with the team, he would know these guys names and use them.  But he's always too busy trying to come up with some "deep insight" on a play to actually say who did what.  Especially when the horns are on defense.   Get a spotter who knows the guys and football to help him out.

And Brooks isn't much better at color.  The story about Dancy and his battle with cancer was good, but could have been better. 

They did a pretty good job of hyping up the new offensive players like Smith and Whittington, but they just ignored the defense when new players came on.  Do a little telestrator explanation after a play, highlight one of the LBs or DLs, or point out all the DBs in what they called the jailbreak defense used on 3rd and long.  You would think Brooks would be good at that, but then I guess that would cut into Galindo's yammering. 

And, while I am yelling at clouds, when they do the LHN round table with Ricky, Shipley, et al, just let them talk in the background, while you show things going on in the stands or on the field, like the pregame festivities, or halftime show/awards.  I mean we know what these guys look like. 

For a school with such a good graphics dept, and that brought America ACL,  it seems we mail it in on LHN game presentations.  So much opportunity to do cutting edge stuff just wasted. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

It's hard for us who grew up with Mr. No Hype Wally Pryor to adjust to all this over the top stuff.   That was a time when the Horns acted like they'd been there before and would be back again and again.  DKR drilled that into us.  Not every play or situation had to be turned up to 10 frankly, it's fatiguing and disingenuous in a Chicken Little-ish way.   Somewhere along the line that has changed in society as a whole, I suppose. 

And if you watched it on LHN you had to suffer Galindo.   You would think that he spends so much time with the team, he would know these guys names and use them.  But he's always too busy trying to come up with some "deep insight" on a play to actually say who did what.  Especially when the horns are on defense.   Get a spotter who knows the guys and football to help him out.

And Brooks isn't much better at color.  The story about Dancy and his battle with cancer was good, but could have been better. 

They did a pretty good job of hyping up the new offensive players like Smith and Whittington, but they just ignored the defense when new players came on.  Do a little telestrator explanation after a play, highlight one of the LBs or DLs, or point out all the DBs in what they called the jailbreak defense used on 3rd and long.  You would think Brooks would be good at that, but then I guess that would cut into Galindo's yammering. 

And, while I am yelling at clouds, when they do the LHN round table with Ricky, Shipley, et al, just let them talk in the background, while you show things going on in the stands or on the field, like the pregame festivities, or halftime show/awards.  I mean we know what these guys look like. 

For a school with such a good graphics dept, and that brought America ACL,  it seems we mail it in on LHN game presentations.  So much opportunity to do cutting edge stuff just wasted. 

ESPN isn't interested in dumping any money or effort into the LHN.  So you get Hamster Gallindo bouncing off the walls of the booth routine.

I understand that part.  But as the face of UT, I would think CDC and Herman would want it to be all it could be, even putting some of their budget into giving LHN some help.  Seems it would be a good project for some media related majors too.  Maybe they can't do that contractually?  Or ethically from the school standpoint.  Just seems such a waste of a potential asset. 

But then it goes back to the original point about Cole.  Is bling the rule of the age over meaningful substance? 

• Like 1

I have a friend whose brother is a veterinarian (yeah, agi, but no alternative there, huh?) and has a minor specialty of vocal-cord nicking to prevent barking. I'm thinking if we can get a handful of roofies or bath salts in Cole's drinks, he can be led into a back room, and it's a done deal.

• Like 3

I hate his phony country ass delivery. I was shocked and annoyed by the stupid country music blaring from the Tron and then the gag-inducing inflections of Bob down-home Cole when I took a seat in the stadium years ago.

Give me the great Wally Pryor and just the music from the band except for sparingly used crowd pleasers like Jump or whatever else actually gets the crowd stirred. I don't need the scoreboard for ambient music and blaring sales pitches. 

I'll go home now.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

....or at least the 2019 social media equivalent of a banner behind a plane.

If you regularly attend games, then you’ll agree that this “deserves its own thread.”

I’ve tried in game Tweets, pregame Tweets, etc., but CDC hasn’t acknowledged (which is cool). Maybe he can’t hear Cole’s foolishness from where he sits. Maybe he figures I’m just another intolerant whiner always bitching about something.

Regardless, we’ve got a world class douchebag assclown that has a microphone and is therefore in the ears of 100,000 people for 4+ hours.

By midway through the 3rd quarter last night, I was ready to jump out of the upper deck after the 15th THIRRRRRGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD DOWGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWN!!!

This asshole takes every moment in a game, and makes it about him and his bullshit shtick.

Enough is enough. Thank God CDC and team have flushed the toilet on almost everything that was wrong with home games over the past decade plus. But there is still one turd circling the drain hole.

Emails, social media posts....whatever will help, please do it. Hell, if an airplane banner is the way to go, I’m in for $500.

There is a second turd, and she is responsible for firing Wally Pryor and hiring Bob Cole. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I have a friend whose brother is a veterinarian (yeah, agi, but no alternative there, huh?) and has a minor specialty of vocal-cord nicking to prevent barking. I'm thinking if we can get a handful of roofies or bath salts in Cole's drinks, he can be led into a back room, and it's a done deal.

Holy shit! My wife and I were just laughing about a dog in our old Dallas neighborhood (25+ years ago) that had it’s vocal cords nipped and would “bark” it’s head off. We hadn’t talked about that since we moved in ‘94. That’s some ESP-level shit. 

19 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

There is a second turd, and she is responsible for firing Wally Pryor and hiring Bob Cole. 

I think Polonsky may be dead but her rancid stench will continue to hang over the department. 

Cole needs to have his larynx carved out.   About as insufferable as they come.  He's just fucking terrible.

4 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

....or at least the 2019 social media equivalent of a banner behind a plane.

If you regularly attend games, then you’ll agree that this “deserves its own thread.”

I’ve tried in game Tweets, pregame Tweets, etc., but CDC hasn’t acknowledged (which is cool). Maybe he can’t hear Cole’s foolishness from where he sits. Maybe he figures I’m just another intolerant whiner always bitching about something.

Regardless, we’ve got a world class douchebag assclown that has a microphone and is therefore in the ears of 100,000 people for 4+ hours.

By midway through the 3rd quarter last night, I was ready to jump out of the upper deck after the 15th THIRRRRRGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD DOWGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWN!!!

This asshole takes every moment in a game, and makes it about him and his bullshit shtick.

Enough is enough. Thank God CDC and team have flushed the toilet on almost everything that was wrong with home games over the past decade plus. But there is still one turd circling the drain hole.

Emails, social media posts....whatever will help, please do it. Hell, if an airplane banner is the way to go, I’m in for $500.

I’m in. Cole & Galindo are embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

We own the UIL.   We own High School Football in this state.  And yet we don't exploit this because, mainly, aggy bitching about it.   So we have the ethics high ground on pretty much anything else.

No shit.

I’d love to see more high school games from around the state televised besides aTm & TSU.

Best of both worlds was Kern Tips on the air waves for SWC action and Wally in the Press Box for the Horns.  They enticed the crowd to listen rather than just hear noise from the PA system.  Ability to deliver great game color, play-by-play, and possess football acumen needed for 100K plus crowds....improves the total game experience IMHO.

• Like 2

Yes he held a place in the Austin/UTexas of old but his shtick and usefulness is old and has passed.  He's bigger in his own mind than what he is and is everything that Texas does not represent.  I do hope CDC takes notice.  

Edited by RollLeft

I have 10’s of dollars that can be donated for a banner flying over the stadium pulled by jet backpack man demanding the ouster of Bob Cole.  

This is TEXAS, not some blended, swag, never been there before program.  And the folks that think they know what is wanted or happening  need to recognize the shit show their forcing on the fans.  

Yes I’m old school but give a brother a Slippery Rock score every now and then and it’ll go a long ways. 

#teamwally(quarter)prior

Cole is a joke.  Has been, and continues to be.  Del Conte gets it, and he'll take care of this in due time.   I trust this guy, and so should all of you, to eradicate any and all thing that don't enhance the Texas football experience.  Cole is an unbridled clown that detracts from it.  Del Conte knows it.  Just give him time.  Only so many days in a week and bigger fish to fry right now. 

I doubt you'll see Cole polluting the DKR PA at this time next year.

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Like 1

Wish Bob Cole could have kept Hill's Cafe going on Congress Ave...

Longtime South Austin Restaurant Is Closing

Hill’s Cafe is looking to relocate the classic spot into a new development near Ben White Boulevard

by Nadia Chaudhury  Sep 6, 2018, 3:17pm CDT

Hill’s Cafe

https://austin.eater.com/2018/9/6/17828720/hills-cafe-closed-reopen-ben-white-boulevard

Edited by LTtxfan