Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

This is the part that seems strange to me. Technically no one is supposed to be even talking to to them about potential deals right? What Ive heard is the Mannings already understand there's significant corporate interest in Arch. But I doubt Nationwide is going to give him the same amount of $$$ at Ole Miss as they would Texas. Or maybe thats a false assumption? Ive just gotten signals that the Mannings are well aware that Texas is likely to be the most business friendly environment for him, and that Georgia checks similar boxes. Then I think it turns in to who will develop him and get him ready to get drafted as high as possible. I also was told a really prominent A&M booster was a part of this conversation, and the Mannings politely told them no thanks, but that our guys think our position was galvanized by those conversations because it reinforced how valuable the metro areas in Texas are in comparison to the other options. Funny enough, that same aggie would be involved in a lot of this stuff anyways should Arch choose to come here. Thats a pretty good clue of who Im referring to. This guy also has more power in his fingernail than the entirety of the NCAA, hence why a&m laughs at the notion of getting in trouble for what they're doing. 

Now I'm extremely curious who this mystery booster is. Gotta be Rick Perry or Robert Earl Keen..

• Haha 1

Mike at Night: Thoughts on prospects from Texas state championship week

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike Roach

Dalton Brooks, ATH, Shiner (2023)

Brooks came into the game with a ton of buzz after an extraordinary playoff run. Playing on both sides of the ball, Brooks made several great plays. I like his upside at the safety position more than running back, because the one tool he doesn’t appear to have is great speed. Brooks is a bit more instinctive at the safety position. On the back end, I feel he’s a Top-25 player in the state.

Bryson Washington, ATH, Franklin (2023)

Franklin had a lot of athletes, but I like what Bryson Washington brings from a build and athleticism standpoint. Texas has been talking with him about playing linebacker at the next level, and he has quite a few attributes you’d want in a small school prospect. Washington played a tough and disciplined brand of football last week and could develop into a strong prospect overall because of those traits and his feet.

Malik Muhammad, CB, South Oak Cliff (2023)

Muhammad wasn’t pressed much into action as the Golden Bears faced a Slot-T offense, but he’s been a standout throughout the playoff run for South Oak Cliff. Muhammad is a cover corner with great length and athleticism, and he flashed some physical ability against the run at different times throughout the year.

Jayvon Thomas, CB, South Oak Cliff (2023)

No player impressed me more in the playoffs than Thomas. A strong athlete and return man playing corner, his instincts in coverage, physical play and open-field tackling ability wowed me several times. Thomas can play several different positions, and I like him as a nickel player who can be both deep and in the box with the ability to use his physicality against the run game.

Deldrick Madison, CB, Duncanville (2023)

Madison struggled quite a bit in the state finals including giving up the game winning touchdown. My suspicions are that he might be playing a bit out of position out on an island in man-to-man coverage. Madison has the frame and athleticism to stick, but he might be more at home playing in the middle of the field.

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin Westlake (2023)

Vasek is nearly a replica of Burke with the same type of frame and twitch. Vasek was able to get to the quarterback at will and collected a few sacks. Vasek utilized his lengths and hands incredibly well to beat opposing offensive linemen. Texas has been in contact and he will be one to watch moving into next season.

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin Westlake (2023)

Greathouse had an incredibly impressive performance lighting up the competition with several huge plays. Greathouse is often seen as a positional question mark, but I thought he proved he could fit as an outside wide receiver. Though many view Greathouse as a tight end or H-back fit, he showed the deep ability to change some minds.

TJ Shanahan, OL, Austin Westlake (2023)

Shanahan was injured during the game, but his physical ability up front is as impressive as it gets. Shanahan is a bully with a bulky body, and he enters next season as one of the top offensive linemen in the country.

Ryan Yaites, DB, Denton Guyer (2023)

Yaites had an up and down game making a few physical plays against Greathouse before giving up a few big scores. Though Yaites plays at cornerback in high school, his ultimate fit is probably at safety where he can use his size and ability. Yaites shows good feet and ball skills which could play well on the back end of a defense.

Peyton Bowen, S, Denton Guyer (2023)

In my eyes, Bowen jumped into elite territory as a prospect this season, and his state championship performance did nothing to change my mind on that fact. Bowen made athletic plays on both sides of the ball. As he heads toward his senior season, I see Bowen as one of the very best in the state.

Jackson Arnold, QB, Denton Guyer (2023)

When I saw Arnold this past spring, I was convinced he was the best quarterback in the state. In a game where nobody gave him a chance against Westlake, I thought Arnold showed quite a bit of toughness and passing ability. Arnold enters next year with a chance to earn five-star status as a quarterback and he’s already being courted by the best in the country.

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Mike Roach

Dalton Brooks, ATH, Shiner (2023)

Brooks came into the game with a ton of buzz after an extraordinary playoff run. Playing on both sides of the ball, Brooks made several great plays. I like his upside at the safety position more than running back, because the one tool he doesn’t appear to have is great speed. Brooks is a bit more instinctive at the safety position. On the back end, I feel he’s a Top-25 player in the state.

Bryson Washington, ATH, Franklin (2023)

Franklin had a lot of athletes, but I like what Bryson Washington brings from a build and athleticism standpoint. Texas has been talking with him about playing linebacker at the next level, and he has quite a few attributes you’d want in a small school prospect. Washington played a tough and disciplined brand of football last week and could develop into a strong prospect overall because of those traits and his feet.

Malik Muhammad, CB, South Oak Cliff (2023)

Muhammad wasn’t pressed much into action as the Golden Bears faced a Slot-T offense, but he’s been a standout throughout the playoff run for South Oak Cliff. Muhammad is a cover corner with great length and athleticism, and he flashed some physical ability against the run at different times throughout the year.

Jayvon Thomas, CB, South Oak Cliff (2023)

No player impressed me more in the playoffs than Thomas. A strong athlete and return man playing corner, his instincts in coverage, physical play and open-field tackling ability wowed me several times. Thomas can play several different positions, and I like him as a nickel player who can be both deep and in the box with the ability to use his physicality against the run game.

Deldrick Madison, CB, Duncanville (2023)

Madison struggled quite a bit in the state finals including giving up the game winning touchdown. My suspicions are that he might be playing a bit out of position out on an island in man-to-man coverage. Madison has the frame and athleticism to stick, but he might be more at home playing in the middle of the field.

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin Westlake (2023)

Vasek is nearly a replica of Burke with the same type of frame and twitch. Vasek was able to get to the quarterback at will and collected a few sacks. Vasek utilized his lengths and hands incredibly well to beat opposing offensive linemen. Texas has been in contact and he will be one to watch moving into next season.

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin Westlake (2023)

Greathouse had an incredibly impressive performance lighting up the competition with several huge plays. Greathouse is often seen as a positional question mark, but I thought he proved he could fit as an outside wide receiver. Though many view Greathouse as a tight end or H-back fit, he showed the deep ability to change some minds.

TJ Shanahan, OL, Austin Westlake (2023)

Shanahan was injured during the game, but his physical ability up front is as impressive as it gets. Shanahan is a bully with a bulky body, and he enters next season as one of the top offensive linemen in the country.

Ryan Yaites, DB, Denton Guyer (2023)

Yaites had an up and down game making a few physical plays against Greathouse before giving up a few big scores. Though Yaites plays at cornerback in high school, his ultimate fit is probably at safety where he can use his size and ability. Yaites shows good feet and ball skills which could play well on the back end of a defense.

Peyton Bowen, S, Denton Guyer (2023)

In my eyes, Bowen jumped into elite territory as a prospect this season, and his state championship performance did nothing to change my mind on that fact. Bowen made athletic plays on both sides of the ball. As he heads toward his senior season, I see Bowen as one of the very best in the state.

Jackson Arnold, QB, Denton Guyer (2023)

When I saw Arnold this past spring, I was convinced he was the best quarterback in the state. In a game where nobody gave him a chance against Westlake, I thought Arnold showed quite a bit of toughness and passing ability. Arnold enters next year with a chance to earn five-star status as a quarterback and he’s already being courted by the best in the country.

There's another Bryson Washington? They're multiplying

It's early for recruiting rankings and this list should be expected to change a lot, but here are the in-state rankings for players in Houston and DFW per On3's rankings

Houston:

DFW:

Again, it's early, but it appears to be a relatively weak year in Houston and relatively strong one in DFW

My understanding is this appears to be a weaker year in-state, so we might opt to go more national anyway, especially if the Arch thing happens 

• Hook 'Em 3

Nahlin:

There’s a little meat on the bone left with 2022 recruiting, plus El Portal Motel will continue to be kind to Texas, but the focus is beginning to shift towards 2023 recruiting.

Of course, we’ve already been chronicling the recruitment of Arch Manning (New Orleans, LA/Isidore Newman) dating back to the Tom Herman era. That recruitment became more worthwhile to watch when Steve Sarkisian was tabbed to replace Herman nearly a year ago.

Despite going 5-7 this season, the IT staff has remained somewhat optimistic on UT’s chances of landing the No. 1 overall player in the 2023 class. That’s because Texas has a lot of enduring positives going for it, plus Manning’s relationship and respect for Sarkisian remains.

However, you can’t just discount 5-7 because Sark is a great guy and quarterback developer. Not only does the season impact Arch’s decision in obvious ways, it could have been extremely detrimental to the staff’s ability to land the types of players Manning wants to play alongside.

We knew the flourish of O-line recruiting done by Kyle Flood would be big, and indeed we’re now hearing the Mannings took note of the finish. There is still some curiosity regarding wide receiver recruiting, but IT feels Sark has a good handle on that over the coming weeks and months and that room will add at least two quality receiving options before players return to campus in mid-January.

The addition of Quinn Ewers has not been mentioned as a negative, and some familiar with the Mannings have opined Ewers is a positive for helping aggregate the type of talent Manning wants to play with.

In a recent Sports Illustrated interview, Arch said he wasn’t close to making an announcement. We don’t know how he defines ’close,’ but we are watching the February junior day window. As we’ve stated numerous times dating back to Texas A&M and Oklahoma adding their 2023 quarterbacks, the Mannings know Arch can be his own best asset when it comes surrounding himself with talent.

We do believe 5-7 was a hiccup but Texas is doing well to overcome concerns associated with the season. Before the Oklahoma State game we said UT controlled its own destiny. We don’t believe it’s as cut and dried as it was, and we’re still monitoring Alabama and Georgia closely, but Texas probably wouldn’t want to trade its positioning with any other school.

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nahlin:

There’s a little meat on the bone left with 2022 recruiting, plus El Portal Motel will continue to be kind to Texas, but the focus is beginning to shift towards 2023 recruiting.

Of course, we’ve already been chronicling the recruitment of Arch Manning (New Orleans, LA/Isidore Newman) dating back to the Tom Herman era. That recruitment became more worthwhile to watch when Steve Sarkisian was tabbed to replace Herman nearly a year ago.

Despite going 5-7 this season, the IT staff has remained somewhat optimistic on UT’s chances of landing the No. 1 overall player in the 2023 class. That’s because Texas has a lot of enduring positives going for it, plus Manning’s relationship and respect for Sarkisian remains.

However, you can’t just discount 5-7 because Sark is a great guy and quarterback developer. Not only does the season impact Arch’s decision in obvious ways, it could have been extremely detrimental to the staff’s ability to land the types of players Manning wants to play alongside.

We knew the flourish of O-line recruiting done by Kyle Flood would be big, and indeed we’re now hearing the Mannings took note of the finish. There is still some curiosity regarding wide receiver recruiting, but IT feels Sark has a good handle on that over the coming weeks and months and that room will add at least two quality receiving options before players return to campus in mid-January.

The addition of Quinn Ewers has not been mentioned as a negative, and some familiar with the Mannings have opined Ewers is a positive for helping aggregate the type of talent Manning wants to play with.

In a recent Sports Illustrated interview, Arch said he wasn’t close to making an announcement. We don’t know how he defines ’close,’ but we are watching the February junior day window. As we’ve stated numerous times dating back to Texas A&M and Oklahoma adding their 2023 quarterbacks, the Mannings know Arch can be his own best asset when it comes surrounding himself with talent.

We do believe 5-7 was a hiccup but Texas is doing well to overcome concerns associated with the season. Before the Oklahoma State game we said UT controlled its own destiny. We don’t believe it’s as cut and dried as it was, and we’re still monitoring Alabama and Georgia closely, but Texas probably wouldn’t want to trade its positioning with any other school.

Mannings have to LOVE the OL recruiting. Would have to imagine it's the top OL class in '22 which is extremely relevant for Arch. Adding Campbell would be big too.

Not sure how much portal WRs really help with Arch considering most will be gone by then. Coleman really f'd us on that front.

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Mannings have to LOVE the OL recruiting. Would have to imagine it's the top OL class in '22 which is extremely relevant for Arch. Adding Campbell would be big too.

Not sure how much portal WRs really help with Arch considering most will be gone by then. Coleman really f'd us on that front.

Manning will bring the WRs with him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Fud said:

It's early for recruiting rankings and this list should be expected to change a lot, but here are the in-state rankings for players in Houston and DFW per On3's rankings

Houston:

DFW:

Again, it's early, but it appears to be a relatively weak year in Houston and relatively strong one in DFW

My understanding is this appears to be a weaker year in-state, so we might opt to go more national anyway, especially if the Arch thing happens 

Chris Gilbert SZN

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (El Campo, TX) - 2023:

As soon as Tashard Choice took the RB coach position at Texas, he made an important phone call.

Choice has known the On3 No. 46 overall prospect for 2023 since middle school and already has a built-in relationship. Owens said the two have already spoken and is eager to build on the connection. It also shows Choice's foresight in getting to know Team Owens.

The 5-foot-11, 187-pound former Texas pledge recently tripped to Austin before NSD and had a blast, including his excitement about UT adding Quinn Ewers to the program.

Owens holds offers from virtually everyone, with Texas, Georgia, Alabama, OU, and Texas A&M have an inside track. While coach Choice gets to go through the Texas Recruiting Big Board, the ultra-productive running back remains at the top of the wish list. Thankfully Texas shouldn't lose any ground during this pursuit.

Owens is expected to attend UT's Junior Day in late January.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Committing this weekend.  Perroni saying between aggy and Texas, but it'll be aggy.  Haven't even heard his name much.

https://247sports.com/Player/Johnny-Bowens-46110003/

Also, Fong'd to ND.  A guy we were after.

https://247sports.com/Player/Peyton-Bowen-46113794/

So we're going o for Bowens.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Committing this weekend.  Perroni saying between aggy and Texas, but it'll be aggy.  Haven't even heard his name much.

Bowen going to the frozen wasteland sucks. That kid can ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Gotta get that head-to-head win. 

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Will be their second DL commit already lol.

IT's 2023 Big Board

We’ll write a version of this post a handful of times over the coming months. New names will emerge over time while other names will gradually disappear as tangible options for the class.

Here are the top targets to know on the offensive side of the ball with the first junior day about a month away. Numbers will be in flux throughout the cycle. We expect roster churn to be an ever-present factor of Steve Sarkisian’s oversight.

(*) denotes players I would personally take right now, no questions asked.

Offense

Quarterback (1): Everyone knows who the top target is and will be until he decides. Arch Manning knows the earlier he makes a decision the bigger an impact he can have on a class, and being a class leader is important to him.

Arch Manning*: Texas was the clear favorite but the season is forcing a recalibration. Going 5-7 wasn’t a deal breaker, but it’s going to force Sark to work even harder to show the Mannings he’s going to right Texas once and for all.

Malachi Nelson - USC: If he was willing to go to Norman to play for Lincoln Riley, you know he wasn’t going to have an issue staying home in Southern California.

Nico Iamaleava: The staff visited with Iamaleava during the recent visit period. If Texas misses on Manning, Iamaleava becomes a must get.

Eli Holstein - Texas A&M: Jimbo was wise to jump on the talented Louisiana quarterback early. We’ll see if Brian Kelly pushes. Holstein is a real passing talent.

Two in-state passers who deserve mention are Denton Guyer’s Jackson Arnold and Lake Travis’ Bo Edmundson. Given the nature and uncertainty of transfers at the position, coaches should always have quality secondary options evaluated.

Running Back (2): With UT in strong position for the state’s top back, new running back coach Tashard Choice (formerly of Georgia Tech) enters a favorable situation. Not only is Rueben Owens teed up for him, he also has Bijan Robinson’s success in the system and Kyle Flood’s recent offensive line haul to sell. Expect Choice to add some new names to the Texas offer board, though he’s already familiar with a number of top targets.

Rueben Owens*: The On3 Consensus top back in the nation, Owens will be ready to make an early impact in his college career.

Richard Young*: The On3 Consensus No. 2 running back in the nation unsurprisingly holds a Georgia Tech offer. The Florida native will be tough to pull out of the region, though Tony Alford at Ohio State appears to have the inside track.

Justice Haynes*: Another one from the deep south who Choice already has familiarity with. Haynes is the No. 3 running back in the On3 Consensus.

Cedric Baxter*: Not to be confused with the Consensus, Baxter is On3’s No. 1 back in the nation. Yet another target from the south Choice knows well. Methinks Sark accounted for this when he whittling running back candidates down.

Ja’Vin Simpkins*: The running back from Miami is a recent Georgia Tech de-commit and certainly one who bears watching. Before Choice was hired, Simpkins already had Texas in his top group of schools. He would make a lot of sense in two-back recruiting class. Some Jamarion Miller to his game.

Micah Bell: His build is a bit limited, but Bell is an explosive, versatile athlete who could also play slot or maybe cornerback.

One instate option who should be explored, if not outright offered, is O’Marion Peterson* from Wichita Falls. He’ll become a national recruit.

Tight End (1-2): Texas will probably take one, but what if Manning’s teammate Will Randle wants in the class as well? IT really likes where the staff sits with on instate target.

Walker Lyons*: Texas made his lengthy list of top schools. One thing helping UT, at least a little, is Jaeden Platt recently picked the Cardinal. The Northern California native is also fond of Michigan, USC, UCLA, Alabama, Ohio State, and a handful of others.

Lafayette Kaiuway*: He’s a candidate to be an early class member if the staff pushes. He’s a good one with real receiving ability for an inline tight end.

Jaeden Platt - Stanford: Texas was on him pretty early but had Kaiuway ahead of him by the end of the season. Looks like Platt will be just fine.

Duce Robinson*: The top tight end in the country also resides in a neutral recruiting locale — Arizona. With the addition of Lincoln Riley, USC should be formidable in this recruitment. UT is in it, though.

Will Randle*: He’s more than just Arch Manning's teammate. He’d likely be more of an H-back. If Brian Kelly pushes LSU could be difficult to defeat.

Mac Markway*: He de-committed from Florida on Sunday. The Gators were an interesting choice for the St. Louis native who is a legacy to both Iowa and Ohio State. He’s a stud and his previous commitment shows he may not be locked into his region.

Luke Hasz*: The Oklahoma native was committed to OU until Lincoln Riley departed. The Sooners will probably figure their way back into the top spot.

Offensive Line (4)

Harris Sewell*: The Odessa Permian stud has been a priority target for quite a while. Texas can win this recruitment but will have to defeat national elites, or maybe A&M.

Chase Bisontis*: Bisontis is from New Jersey, an area offensive line coach Kyle Flood is very familiar with. Like Sewell, he’ll probably end up playing in the interior. We’ll see if they can get him to campus this spring.

Connor Stroh: At 6-foot-7, 345 pounds, Stroh owns the size Flood covets. His best reps are downright dominating, though he can get off balance at times. This should be an in-state battle UT can win. I look forward to seeing Stroh on the camp circuit.

Isaiah Robinson*: He’s not Kelvin Banks but he does have left tackle upside and could be pretty special after his senior year. Texas, OU, A&M, and Baylor are top contenders. He’s visited UT a lot.

Jaydon Chatman*: Active feet help him engage and stay engaged through the whistle. He’s a spirited run blocker. Texas, OU, Baylor, are all involved. Texas was early.

Andre Cojoe*: Vastly underrated given his current rankings. Known as an interior prospect despite playing left tackle, I think he can actually stick at right tackle in college. Texas, Baylor, Arkansas, and Texas Tech are pushing, but he’ll become more popular this spring.

TJ Shanahan*: It’s nice when they move into your backyard. Shanahan has the chance to follow in Connor Robertson’s footsteps as a move-in to Westlake from the East Coast. It doesn’t require too many more steps from Westlake to the 40 Acres. There’s some Junior Angilau to him as a run blocker.

Olaus Alinen: The big tackle out of Connecticut has expressed interest in UT and vice versa.

Flood will likely expand the net, though UT is in solid standing with the class early on. One thing to keep in mind, rival schools will smartly use UT’s 2022 numbers (likely 7) against them in 2023.

Wide Receiver (4): Like Choice, the new position coach has a lot to sell: playing time, scheme, and the addition of Quinn Ewers. If they add Manning, Toby Flenderson could recruit an all-star receiver haul.

Johntay Cook*: UT is in great shape with one of the biggest needs on the board. It wouldn’t surprise if the coaches were able to get him in relatively early and then let him lead the class. He’s paying as close attention to the Manning decision as anyone.

Jaquaize Pettaway*: Would bring the speed element Texas is looking for.

Ashton Cozart*: He was going to commit to OU the day Lincoln Riley retreated to California. Said Cozart, “I can’t believe Coach Riley is going to willfully assume that California tax burden.” Sadly, that’s a fake quote. Watch TCU here.

Jalen Hale*: Texas has a lot of ground to make up. This may be my last mention of him.

Chris Palfreeman: Quiet kid but UT offered early.

Jaden Greathouse*: Is he a receiver or a flex TE? Does it matter? He’s being recruited as a receiver.

Braylon James*: If UT went all in on this recruitment, Texas would be tough to beat. Good combination of size and speed.

Ryan Niblett*: More of the speed element. Texas offered early and Niblett is listening.

Brandon Inniss*: One of the top receivers in the nation, Inniss de-committed from OU upon Riley’s departure.

Whoever the next wide receivers coach is will have a new chance to re-introduce top recruits to Texas. That coach will undoubtedly bring new targets to the table.

Defense

Pete Kwiatkwoski assembled a very strong defensive class, particularly everywhere but off-the-ball linebacker.

Fortunately for PK and linebackers coach Jeff Choate, if they can land Anthony Hill Jr., the 2023 class has the type of immediate impact player they’re looking for at the position.

The name of the game in this class is to continue to build out the roster with talented schematic fits across the board. Elite difference makers are still needed, but they’re always needed.

Defensive Line (3): This position designation mainly denotes 1-tech and 3-tech, but some of these guys can play further outside. Heck, two of them can play offense.

David Hicks Jr.: An On3 Consensus five-star, Hicks is atop the board for both UT and the Aggies. He’s visited A&M quite a bit and they’re probably the favorite.

Matayo Uiagalelei: Another Consensus five-star, though he’s not quite there on On3’s internal rankings. He’s poised to be, however. The younger brother of DJ isn’t a foregone conclusion to Clemson. He’s visited campus twice and Texas has a real chance if it can build class momentum.

Avion Carter: He could be a big EDGE or swing inside. UT has decent shot if they truly push. I’m a fan of the tape, but GH wasn’t in love with his body projection.

Johnny Bowens: He’s almost assuredly picking A&M this weekend. Good athlete, needs to improve motor. Has real upside but should be fungible from UT’s perspective.

Markis Deal: On3 has Deal knocking on the door of five-star status, but here’s the deal, it’s as an O-lineman. I don’t blame them as I see some Maea Teuhema to his game. Texas is recruiting Deal as a nose tackle and he’s certainly athletic enough to play defense in college.

Zalance Heard: He has a great chance to be an On3 five-star but as an offensive tackle, where he spent most of his junior year. We have him listed here because we believe that’s what his offer was for.

EDGE (2): Texas should have zero issues signing quality options in the 2023 class. In my opinion, they should push for Porter and Vasek and then hunt for a nationally elite player if there’s room.

Ashton Porter: He’s like 2022 Texas signee Justice Finkley in that the staff is much higher on him than recruiting services. Any other school besides Texas would be a shock.

Dylan Spencer: Bo Davis has a good ‘in’ in this recruitment. Spencer is a bit quiet when it comes to recruiting and it‘s hard to know which way he’s leaning at the moment. Good run defender who also possess ability to rush the passer.

Colton Vasek: He’s rapidly become an IT favorite and is just recently hearing from UT. His father Brian was a four-year letter at UT and his good friend and line-mate Ethan Burke just signed. Vasek is a pretty complete prospect — athletic, long, skilled, etc. I doubt UT overthinks this one.

Jordan Renaud: The move-in from Florida seems to bounce around with his favorite schools. Texas is trailing others but should have no issues hitting numbers.

Tausili Akana: A Consensus top-60 player in the nation, Akana remains in contact with the staff and the coaches traveled to Utah to watch a game this fall. He’s be a Buck OLB, rather than the larger Jack.

Nyckoles Harbor: He’s maybe the most uncommon athlete in the class, having run sub-10.4 as a sophomore at 6-foot-4, 220 pounds. He has good grades so maybe UT can finagle its way into the conversation.

Jacquavious Russaw: He’s in the five-star conversation but also from Alabama.

Rico Walker: Texas has offered the North Carolina prospect. I doubt anything materializes here.

Linebacker (3): They’ll cast a wide net at the position. Land Hill Jr. and everything else will fall into place.

Anthony Hill Jr.: He’s a Consensus five-star but On3 has a him a bit lower, likely due to positional projection. Maybe he grows into an EDGE? He’s an explosive athlete capable of playing running back in high school. He does remind a bit of De’Gabriel Floyd. UT is in a good spot.

Derion Gullette: He’s one of the more versatile athletes in the state, able to play linebacker and receiver. He’s definitely a college level athlete at linebacker but he’ll require quite a bit of development.

Carson Dean: He hasn’t been offered by the staff but they have been in touch. He holds Washington and Baylor offers.

Safety (2): Texas already holds a commitment from Jamel Johnson, who could also be considered a corner. It’s a loaded in-state class at the position. They can be somewhat patient here if need be.

Dalton Brooks: I see pre-injuries BJ Foster. A case can be made for Brooks as a five-star, but let’s see how he does in coverage on the camp circuit. A&M is the main competition for Brooks and UT would have no excuse for losing him to the Ags.

Ryan Yaites: Texas and Notre Dame are in the thick of this recruitment.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot: Harrison-Pilot could play college receiver which tells you he should excel in coverage as a defensive back. He should be considered an athlete because he can play either side of the ball.

Deldrick Madison: Holds an offer and is similar to Yaites (and Jamel Johnson) in that he’s a physical corner who profiles to safety.

Daniel Demery: Solid player with good offers. Falls in the Madison category of ‘they like him but do they love him’?

Peyton Bowen: The No. 2 safety in the state. Good athlete for the position with ball skills to boot.

The staff also has offers out to national elites Joenel Aguero and Caleb Downs. Don’t get your hopes up, but also don’t fret. Needs can be more than adequately met instate.

Cornerback (2): Grab two JT’s and be done with it.

Javien Toviano: Texas had the lead then lost it to OU. The staff needs to capitalize after catching a break with coaching turnover.

Jayvon Thomas: In my eyes, as well as those of @HudsonStandish, Thomas is the best corner prospect at SOC.

Malik Muhammad: Thomas’ more highly rated teammate. He likes Notre Dame.

Tay’Shawn Wilson: Doesn’t possess ideal length, but he’s well built and a three-phase player. Texas is currently his best offer. Could be a nickel.

Vernon Glover Jr.: One of the more underrated players in the state. Light on his feet in coverage, active on special teams. Attends newly minted Aggie pipeline school Dickinson.

Jordan Matthews: Baton Rouge kid LSU will want but Terry Joseph may give UT an outside chance. He’s visited Texas.

Braxton Myers: He’s been well known since he was a freshman but this season is the first I’ve felt he showed enough to be considered a corner prospect. I still wonder about long speed but the hips, feet, and ball skills are there.

• Hook 'Em 5

20 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

Living in the area it seems like every top Judson player the last couple decades goes to A&M or more recently UTSA.

How many top Judson players have been 4/5 star guys in the past couple decades?  Not many at all.  

Recent recruiting off the top of my head: 

Leal - that one hurt for sure. 

Alton Robinson - was signed with A&M and then got himself in trouble. Finally made it to NFL after going to Syracuse.  

Tre Flowers - Ok St 

UTSA has had their fair share of Judson players, but most were 2-3 star players.  

How many top Judson players have been 4/5 star guys in the past couple decades?  Not many at all.  

Recent recruiting off the top of my head: 
Leal - that one hurt for sure. 
Alton Robinson - was signed with A&M and then got himself in trouble. Finally made it to NFL after going to Syracuse.  
Tre Flowers - Ok St 
UTSA has had their fair share of Judson players, but most were 2-3 star players.  

I don’t keep track but believe there has been more than that. I look it up every year while watching my kids HS play them. I agree with all the 2-3 star guys going to UTSA but not sure where I put that stipulation of star on my post. I just know that over the past 30 years they have not went to Texas.

I don’t keep track but believe there has been more than that. I look it up every year while watching my kids HS play them. I agree with all the 2-3 star guys going to UTSA but not sure where I put that stipulation of star on my post. I just know that over the past 30 years they have not went to Texas.

I also have nightmares of those Judson teams in the late 80s/early 90s so that might be playing into my memory a bit.

IT on Jaquaize Pettaway

Spoiler

Since Steve Sarkisian took over at Texas in January of 2021 there has been a concerted effort to add speed and dynamic playmaking ability to the Texas wide receiver room. After a month on the job, Sark extended an early offer to 2023 Langham Creek WR Jaquaize Pettaway who has now emerged as the On3 Consensus No. 35 prospect in the nation.

In 8 games for the Langham Creek Lobos this season, Jaquaize Pettaway grabbed 43 receptions for 745 yards and 7 touchdowns averaging 93.1 Yards Per Game along with 17.3 Yards Per Catch. Pettaway caught up with On3’s @timverghese after a training session in Houston earlier this week.

"This year for Langham Creek I had to play both sides of the ball so I'd say my biggest improvement is my understanding of coverages," said Pettaway. "Now I feel comfortable knowing when a safety spins down that I'll have the ability to take the top off and win deep."

"The main schools standing out are Florida, LSU, Texas, and Texas A&M," Jaquaize Pettaway said. "Ole Miss and Alabama are two that I like but they haven't offered me yet, also I have high interest in the new staff at TCU."

The coaching staff at Texas have made sure the 5-foot-11 wide receiver with verified 10.55 100m speed knows how much he's wanted in Austin.

"The coaches at Texas have shown nothing but love to me," said Pettaway. "The main things that stand out at Texas are my relationship with Coach Sark and how dynamic the offense is."

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian acting as the primary recruiter for Pettaway should tell you all you need to know about how highly coveted the Langham Creek athlete is by the Texas staff.

"The relationship with Coach Sark is great," Jaquaize Pettaway said. "We'll be cracking jokes all the time, and I'm headed back to Austin sometime soon so we just talk about all the things that I'm going to do on the next visit."

While Pettaway was aware of the moves in and out of Austin over the last few weeks, the talented junior is keeping his head down and focusing on what he can control.

"Yeah I've been keeping an eye on who is coming in and out at Texas with Quinn coming in and Coach (Andre) Coleman getting fired," Pettaway said. "Overall I'm just trying to focus on getting better and fighting for a spot right away. I know I'm going to have to fight for it and it won't be easy."

As Inside Texas has reported previously even though the Tide haven't offered Pettaway, Alabama is a school to closely monitor for the top five player in Texas.

"I'm from Montgomery, Alabama so Alabama was a school that I grew up rooting for," said Jaquaize Pettaway. "They haven't offered and I don't know if they will, so we'll just have to see."

The next step for Pettaway is trimming his list of schools and focusing on which programs receive official visits over the offseason.

"I'll probably drop a Top Schools list here pretty soon," said Pettaway. "As far as a commitment goes I'll probably wait until I take my official visits then commit afterward."

While nothing is set in stone, Pettaway's likely decision timeline will be before the 2022 season kicks off.

"The plan is to take the official visits over the summer and then commit right before my senior season," Jaquaize Pettaway said. "I'm not sure what schools will get the official visits but that is the plan as of right now."

At 5-foot-11, 175 pounds, Jaquaize Pettaway is the No. 35 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2023, according to the On3 consensus. He is the No. 6 wide receiver in the country and the No. 5 recruit from the state of Texas.

image.thumb.png.da416537ccf8fd6aab98b9795d65dcee.png

Was the Jaquaize Pettaway article written by some bot or algorithm? Because it sure had an odd way of using his full name throughout (if you didn’t catch it, it was “Jaquaize Pettaway”) and even when there were opportunities to use “he,” the author would typically use “Jaquaize Pettaway” or “Pettaway.” 

The Jerod Douglas story has a Texas angle, as UT claimed there was some dirty shit going on during the recruitment as we battled Baylor.  Legend has it Baylor assistant Trooper Taylor left messages for Douglas’ family, claiming to be a Texas assistant, and that we were no longer interested. Douglas then picked Baylor. That seems simplistic, but I have a good source. And Taylor is well known for his bullshit.

A few years later in Waco, we beat their asses 63-35 on Thanksgiving morning (10 am kickoff and we played Baylor because aggy was on probation), and after the game, in one of the wildest scenes I’ve witnessed in my career, Bucky Godbolt raced across the field, screaming at Chuck Reedy, “And we didn’t have to cheat!” over and over again. Godbolt was still pissed about Douglas. 

• Hook 'Em 2