Stupid Question: Will this be Texas’ hottest game ever?

GreenspointTexas

With predictions of temps at kickoff being anywhere from 99-101 degrees, is this our warmest game ever?

Ive been a season ticket holder for 15 years and the hottest game ive been to was 09 UTEP... i think temps were around 97. Cant remember a hotter game, someone correct me if im wrong

Also, while we are on it, what is the hottest college football kickoff temp ever? Ill hang up and listen

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

Colt's debut in 2006 vs UNT was the hottest game I (and my dad) have ever been to, and he's been to more cfb games than everyone i know combined. it was an 11 am kickoff in late August/early September in Austin, Texas. that day was absolutely brutal. dozens if not hundreds of people being treated on site for heat related issues, with more than a dozen hospitalized. 

After that would be vs UTEP in 09 iirc. the one where we destroyed them. another just brutal day with the sun beating down on everyone. UT is insane for ya int those start times. 

• Like 3

Not with a 6:30 kick.  It will be hot at the beginning but cool off throughout the game.  11:00 and especially 2:30 kicks are the worst as it is broiling through the whole game.

Two that I remember as being especially hot while I was a student were Stanford 1999 and ULaLa 2000.  The box scores show only mid-80s at kick for both but the highs those days in Austin were 97 and 99.  Earlier the week of that ULaLa game were the two all-time highest temperatures recorded in Austin, 108 and 110.

Historical high temperatures for Austin can be looked up here:

http://api.wunderground.com/history/airport/KATT/1999/9/4/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Austin&req_state=TX&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=78735&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Colt's debut in 2006 vs UNT was the hottest game I (and my dad) have ever been to, and he's been to more cfb games than everyone i know combined. it was an 11 am kickoff in late August/early September in Austin, Texas. that day was absolutely brutal. dozens if not hundreds of people being treated on site for heat related issues, with more than a dozen hospitalized. 

After that would be vs UTEP in 09 iirc. the one where we destroyed them. another just brutal day with the sun beating down on everyone. UT is insane for ya int those start times. 

UNT was another 11 am kick and the high that day was 98.  UTEP was a 2:30 kick but the listed high was only 92.

UT really shouldn't play home day games in September.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I remember as a 14 year old that Texas/Colorado 1994 was damn hot but box score says only 88 at kick 

Those are misleading. Pittsburgh 1995 was apparently 89° at kickoff but that was like sitting in a broiler on the east side of the stadium.

Looked it up. High temperature was 93° that day with a heat index over 100° due to humidity. Also only a 4mph wind, meaning there was no breeze in the stadium. Page says "scattered clouds" during the game but I don't think a single one ever blocked the sun. I had to leave the game early with my girlfriend (now wife) because she was showing heat exhaustion symptoms.

http://api.wunderground.com/history/airport/KATT/1995/9/16/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Austin&req_state=TX&reqdb.zip=78735&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

So basically as others said, temperature at kickoff doesn't come close to telling the story of how hot a game was.

Edited by Huckleberry

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

74 degrees

at kickoff.  

High for the day got to 88.  Game didn't end until 4:11pm.  

Normally my seats are in the upper deck, so while I've attended hotter games temperature-wise, this one was during my student days so I drew somewhere in around the 40 yd line, first few rows.  We got the benefit of feeling the heat radiating off the turf field.  We baked for 4 hours. 

According to  Weather Underground, it was 98 as a high last Saturday, and it wasnt bad at all by 8PM. Humidity and breeze will be the key. Hottest part of the game last week was being stuck in the mass of humanity at gate 16 for 10 minutes trying to get into DKR. 

50 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Louisiana Lafayette in 2000, it was 96° for an 11:30 am kickoff. Route 66 in 1997, it was only 93°; just seemed hotter, because we were staring into the maw of Hell.

Ooh, look at WP and his little degree symbols.  Keyboard knowledge level: 1000