Okie State defense

TexArcher

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

The question will be our defense.

Well, obviously.  That'll be the question all year long.  But theirs has been bad against bad teams.  We should be able to hang 50 on them if we need to.

Also, our defense shut out two bad teams for 3 quarters.  The only damage they did was in the 4th against our backups.  I think LSU has us all thinking the sky is falling when maybe it's not.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

i think the last four words are superfluous. Neither Kobe Boyce nor Jalen Green pose a serious challenge to Tylan Wallace.

Not sure what you’re smoking if you think they’re going to leave our corners 1 v 1 against Wallace. They’re gonna double/bracket him most of the game. 

OK State doesn’t have a proven 2nd option at WR. Stoner is their 2nd leading WR with 85 yards on the year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not sure what you’re smoking if you think they’re going to leave our corners 1 v 1 against Wallace. They’re gonna double/bracket him most of the game. 

OK State doesn’t have a proven 2nd option at WR. Stoner is their 2nd leading WR with 85 yards on the year. 

Orlando doesn't deserve your faith in him. They're going to score at least 30 against our _efense. 

10 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Orlando doesn't deserve your faith in him. They're going to score at least 30 against our _efense. 

I think they will score but only an idiot would leave our corners on an island with Wallace. Especially when they don't have a proven 2nd WR like last year with Johnson. 

Also, the no "d" in defense is so stupid. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Just hope that this game doesn't become Stoner's coming out party, know what I mean?

11 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Also, our defense shut out two bad teams for 3 quarters.  The only damage they did was in the 4th against our backups.  I think LSU has us all thinking the sky is falling when maybe it's not.

I still want to think both Texas and LSU played out of their minds for that game and we won't see as much offense production from LSU during their west-division slate.  I wouldn't mind seeing them empty the silos on UF just to seal their coffin in the completely bullshit #9 AP ranking the Gators have been toting.

21 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

I still want to think both Texas and LSU played out of their minds for that game and we won't see as much offense production from LSU during their west-division slate.  I wouldn't mind seeing them empty the silos on UF just to seal their coffin in the completely bullshit #9 AP ranking the Gators have been toting.

One of the really sad thing is that LSU won't be able to get away with the BS excuse for pass protection they used in the second half.  SEC refs won't protect them in conference play.  They won't look as good on offense as a result and the usual mouthbreather crowd will proclaim that is shows how much better SEC defenses are.

To bring this back to Okie Lite, they've played some weak opponents and their defense has looked weak at best.  6 sacks and 18 TFLs in 3 games against that level of competition isn't much.  The best of those was OR St, where the Pokes produced 1 sack and gave up 4 passing TDs to a below average team. 

I'm not really sold on the Cowboy's offensive juggernaut narrative yet.  Tulsa and McNeese are obviously lower tier.  Oregon State is P5 but their defense was also poor against Hawai'i (421 yds passing).  There will be a good offense in Stillwater as long as Gundy is HC there but the first few games were like looking hot by standing out in a crowd of Applewhite / VicMackey specials.  The OL and running game (esp Hubbard) have been impressive except against, oddly, McNeese.  Agree with the posters above that Texas needs to focus on stopping the run and force their QB to make secondary reads.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Good stuff @sushihorn  

If Ossai is out, how should Orlando set up the TEXAS Defense for Okie Lite??

In nearly all of their big runs, the OSU OL were able to get to the 2nd level and pick off multiple LBs to give a clear lane to the RB.  I think Coburn demands a full double team.  He's going to make it difficult for the guard to combo then hit an ILB without giving up penetration that can blow up an inside run - which is most of their ground arsenal.  Even if they are successful single blocking both DEs, that only leaves one O-Lineman than can attack the LBs. 

Orlando has played the Buck LB off the LOS against the spread quite a bit and a 3-3 stack creates tough angles for blockers looking to seal off pursuit at the 2nd level.  It's a lot harder to block the BLB there than if he gets tangled up with an OT or TE at the LOS.  Also, OSU isn't a team that runs a lot of toss sweep or stretch where you need a C-gap defender from the snap.  They mostly rely on inside zone concepts (esp. tite and split zone) and power/counter.

I would have said dime but with the injuries to Overshown and BJ Foster I think Texas has to play Nickel with Chris Brown near the LOS where he can set the edge against the run.  There isn't a 2nd DB available with that ability to blow up blocks and hammer the RB.  Setting up in a cover 2 shell then rotating one safety down to the 2nd level is going to create that free hitter in the box against the run.  Doing it late in the clock puts it on the QB to ID the coverage quickly, then make the right read and throw.  I'd love for that extra guy to be BJ but that's not in the cards.

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Okie State ran stretch/outside zone a ton last year and torched us with it.  I don’t think Gundy forgot that’s our vulnerability in the run game.   They also ran the QB on the read option outside a lot, and Sanders is more mobile than Cornelius. 

We will need our nickel and outside LB to play well.  I agree we can probably handle the inside running game, but Gundy isn’t a moron who is just going to keep sending Hubbard right at Coburn on kamikaze dive plays.

Hopefully Ossai is back. Have they set any timetable for him?

Tulsa is the only d with a pulse we played and our frosh qb played like it was his third game.  His deep balls were short causing a lot of DPI...and I have concern with how much we’ve been running Chuba.  

That said the defense did pitch a shutout in the second half, but with a young DLine and I experience across the backs I see Sam cutting us up for 5-7 yard gains.  

I understand the recent history but after watching the LSU game I see a fired up home crowd intimidating the freshman Sanders and your D clogging up the run lanes to make life difficult while a motivated Texas offense wears down our flimsy D. 

Our defense is what it’s always been. Not as bad as the numbers but not “good” by any definition. It seemed obvious to me that our offensive playbook was very shallow yesterday. Gundy does this all the time against overmatched noncon opponents. It frustrates the shit out of me. I think we can win next week if we play to maximum potential like last years game against UT, but we’re the heavy underdog for all the obvious reasons. 

Edited by 'stache

49 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Okie State ran stretch/outside zone a ton last year and torched us with it.  I don’t think Gundy forgot that’s our vulnerability in the run game.   They also ran the QB on the read option outside a lot, and Sanders is more mobile than Cornelius. 

We will need our nickel and outside LB to play well.  I agree we can probably handle the inside running game, but Gundy isn’t a moron who is just going to keep sending Hubbard right at Coburn on kamikaze dive plays.

They didn't run much outside zone - at least not in the critical early phase of the game.  It's a perfectly understandable mistake since the announcers mis-identified the blocking scheme a couple of times.  The outside was available because the edge kept getting caved in - mostly on the side manned by the undersized and injured Hager which furthers the confusion.  Gundy does know how to ID and exploit a defensive weakness.  I don't see either Roach or Graham as that kind of speed bump.

Watch the OL and the RB.  Linemen take one big step playside then attack upfield.  RB is aiming for the playside OG then makes his cut.  That's classic inside zone.  The inability to hold the edge just enabled OSU to bounce the play off tackle to the front side.  They did run stretch twice in the decisive first 5 drives.  Once at Hager for over 15 yds and once at Omenihu for negative yardage.  They built enough of a lead to win but it was mostly by exploiting the absence of Boyd and Davis in the passing game than anything on the ground.  Outside zone was a minor part of that winning formula.

Edited by sushihorn

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Our defense is what it’s always been. Not as bad as the numbers but not “good” by any definition. It seemed obvious to me that our offensive playbook was very shallow yesterday. Gundy does this all the time against overmatched noncon opponents. It frustrates the shit out of me. I think we can win next week if we play to maximum potential like last years game against UT, but we’re the heavy underdog for all the obvious reasons. 

Any info on the line yet??

My guess is Texas by 6pts...