Okie State defense

TexArcher

15 hours ago, TexArcher said:

36 pts on 448 yds to Oregon St.

14 pts on 318 yds to McNeese St.

21 pts on 396 yds to Tulsa.

We're gonna go apeshit on these guys.

I hope so.   But this game has me more uneasy since T Boone died....   Reaching for my tin foil hat, but we’ve been royally fucked by the stripes in just a few of these contests against Okie State.   I don’t rule out a repeat in order for the Cowturds “to win one for our #1 contributor.”

I’m just glad we are playing this one at DKR instead of that POS stadium in Stillwater where the fans practically sit on the sideline.   

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I hope so.   But this game has me more uneasy since T Boone died....   Reaching for my tin foil hat, but we’ve been royally fucked by the stripes in just a few of these contests against Okie State.   I don’t rule out a repeat in order for the Cowturds “to win one for our #1 contributor.”

I’m just glad we are playing this one at DKR instead of that POS stadium in Stillwater where the fans practically sit on the sideline.   

I’d hope if they need to win one for T Boone they’d save it for Bedlam. 

Edited by hornian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Did you think there was a chance OSU was going to be favored?

No, given that the game is at Texas, not really.  But I didn't think it would be 7.

Time to change the last several years of shitty play, shitty refs, and shitty luck versus these clowns.  I want this game almost as much as the OU game.  

4 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

No, given that the game is at Texas, not really.  But I didn't think it would be 7.

Time to change the last several years of shitty play, shitty refs, and shitty luck versus these clowns.  I want this game almost as much as the OU game.  

1) We always struggle against Oklahoma State for some reason. 

2) I'm not surprised at the line. Their defense is bad and we're at home. 

1 hour ago, thepop said:

Only game I have truly believed to be rigged. Besides Kings Lakers 2002. 

Even after the game there were national reporters talking about it being "rigged". I've never seen that. I'll never forget the holding call on the defensive lineman late in the 4th. It was one of the most bizarre calls I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

I don't give a fuck as long as we win. Last year we beat ou 48-45 and no mention of the sky is falling with our defense, lose 45-38 to lsu and we have the worse defense in the history of college football and no mention of lsu defense being pretty bad itself. So just win, 17-14, 6-3, 84-82. I don't care just win.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I don't give a fuck as long as we win. Last year we beat ou 48-45 and no mention of the sky is falling with our defense, lose 45-38 to lsu and we have the worse defense in the history of college football and no mention of lsu defense being pretty bad itself. So just win, 17-14, 6-3, 84-82. I don't care just win.

Shaka's team is not scoring 84 points, I can tell you that much. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/player-availability-for-the-texas-game.261748/

Sounds like Oklahoma State has some injury issues too. Maybe stache can fill us in. 

We hurt. $9.95 please.

I know nothing more than what’s reported. We have a lot of injuries and other issues with our front 7. From what I’ve seen our three man front is pretty ineffective but we have some decent blitzes that work sometimes and our LBs can tackle ok in the second level.

On 9/15/2019 at 12:34 AM, texasstrong12 said:

I think they will score but only an idiot would leave our corners on an island with Wallace. Especially when they don't have a proven 2nd WR like last year with Johnson. 

Also, the no "d" in defense is so stupid. 

Jordan McCray is a grand transfer who will line up opposite. He has had some success. CJ Moore is a 4 star sophomore who has some impressive catches so far. Stoner of course is good. Langdon Wolf has had some success. And we haven't even really tried to make plays for our FB/TE hybrid position. Assuming we open up the play book this week, we should have plenty to go around if Tylan is doubled.

6 hours ago, Chopper said:

What about the douche bag white hat for that game?

From that game on I looked for him calling one our games I don't think I ever saw him again.   Granted I missed watching only a few games on TV since then, but I wonder if this entire crew was quietly shown the door after that season?

I hated Okie State before this game.... Damn game elevated them to OU Sucks hate level ever since then.  Obviously something on the down low was going on.

7 hours ago, 'stache said:

Jordan McCray is a grand transfer who will line up opposite. He has had some success. CJ Moore is a 4 star sophomore who has some impressive catches so far. Stoner of course is good. Langdon Wolf has had some success. And we haven't even really tried to make plays for our FB/TE hybrid position. Assuming we open up the play book this week, we should have plenty to go around if Tylan is doubled.

Wallace has 390 yards receiving. Mcray has 67 yards receiving in 3 games, Moore has 75 yards receiving in 3 games, Stoner has 88 yards receiving in 3 games, and Wolf has 57 yards receiving in 3 games. 

Those guys might be good but Wallace has been producing most of the receiving yards. Texas should definitely double Wallace and make those other guys beat them. 

Wallace also has 6 TDs and the rest of the receiving group has 3 combined. The defensive staff would be dumb to not double/bracket Wallace. 

Edited by texasstrong12

13 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Wallace has 390 yards receiving. Mcray has 67 yards receiving in 3 games, Moore has 75 yards receiving in 3 games, Stoner has 88 yards receiving in 3 games, and Wolf has 57 yards receiving in 3 games. 

Those guys might be good but Wallace has been producing most of the receiving yards. Texas should definitely double Wallace and make those other guys beat them. 

Wallace also has 6 TDs and the rest of the receiving group has 3 combined. The defensive staff would be dumb to not double/bracket Wallace. 

Of course Wallace is going to have far and away the most yards. He's the big-play guy and 26 yards per catch will do that.

I tend to look at number catches, in terms of seeing how the ball is distributed around.  Wallace is the big-play/deep threat, but the other guys do a fine job of moving the chains.

Catches:

• Wallace: 15
  • Stoner: 12
  • Wolf: 7
  • McCray: 6
  • Everyone else: 14

The interesting thing to watch on Saturday will be how and whether or not we target the TE/Fullback hybrid (Cowboy backs) at all in the passing game.  We used them quite a bit in the passing game last year, but haven't targeted them much at all this year (so far).

• Like 1

The worst penalty I have ever seen.

It really wasn’t surprising. The majority okie state games of late have all been full of outright biased/bribed officiating. Our teams lost because a combo of every good Texas play being nullified by a penalty and Texas being mediocre at best and ill equipped to overcome the bullshit.

On 9/16/2019 at 8:20 AM, Js1 said:

Saw it yesterday in the Texans-Jags game. 

There's still people in this thread that continuously say it's egregious to call it "on a run play" (parroting Craig Way), but you watch enough football you understand why it should be called. It's a purposeful foul that exists in the rulebook to make sure defensive linemen aren't cheating to keep their linebackers clean. The problem with that one (if it was the replay they were showing in that youtube video) is that Poona didn't do that shit at all. He had his back turned to the play and was one-on-one with a guard. Usually holding is when the guard is trying to pass the DL and get to the 2nd level, that's not what happened.

Anyways, I think this is the game where our defensive line shines. We've faced some spread offenses that weren't really too interested in running the ball, but I think Malc and Graham and Coburn all show off some strength this week and cave some zone run attempts. I'm going to be looking for Coburn in particular.

4 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It really wasn’t surprising. The majority okie state games of late have all been full of outright biased/bribed officiating. Our teams lost because a combo of every good Texas play being nullified by a penalty and Texas being mediocre at best and ill equipped to overcome the bullshit.

This is key right here. If the program was in good shape, officiating would be down the list of shit to overcome. 

I watched the Tulsa game condensed on Youtube which gave me a better feel instead of being drunk and literally roasting from bad seats. Our defense is going to be boom or bust this year. We play a lot of 3 man front and they don't get a lot of push, but we bring a lot of one or two man blitzes from the LB spot which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It'll all depend on whether we can call the right blitz enough to get opponents' offenses off the field. Considering Texas' strengths at OL, I just don't think we're going to do much to slow you down this weekend.

50 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I watched the Tulsa game condensed on Youtube which gave me a better feel instead of being drunk and literally roasting from bad seats. Our defense is going to be boom or bust this year. We play a lot of 3 man front and they don't get a lot of push, but we bring a lot of one or two man blitzes from the LB spot which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It'll all depend on whether we can call the right blitz enough to get opponents' offenses off the field. Considering Texas' strengths at OL, I just don't think we're going to do much to slow you down this weekend.

Yeah we've pretty much moved to the 3-man tight front/dime as a base.  Pretty sure both Texas and Iowa State have been running that for a while.

Pretty sure the idea is to use faster LBs / safeties to clog gaps and bounce the running game to the outside and the extra DBs to eliminate big plays in the passing game.

No idea if that shit will work or not, but as someone who has watched us be completely incapable on defense for 20 years, I'm guessing probably not.

Edited by oSuJeff97

8 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah we've pretty much moved to the 3-man tight front/dime as a base.  Pretty sure both Texas and Iowa State have been running that for a while.

Pretty sure the idea is to use faster LBs / safeties to clog gaps and bounce the running game to the outside and the extra DBs to eliminate big plays in the passing game.

No idea if that shit will work or not, but as someone who has watched us be completely incapable on defense for 20 years, I'm guessing probably not.

I've said it a million times but many who don't watch every game like I do really believe me. I'm not an x's and o's guy, just a fan that knows enough to have what I believe are valid opinions.

Our D since at least 2010 has not been as bad as our reputation. We have some really bad games for sure where we give up tons of yards and a bunch of points, but we have many more games where we give up a bunch of yards but not as many points as the yards suggest. We have often had a knack for big plays on 3rd and 4th down in key situation which is how we have managed to win so many games. The only team we literally cannot stop is OU, but we're not the only one. Games that come to mind since 2010 where we literally could not stop the other team from yards and scoring are a couple of KSU games and Baylor games. Last year was a weird year where and we were completely helpless against KSU, ISU, and Baylor. Last year was also the first I can remember where we regularly gave up first downs on 3rd and long. Like every fucking time. 

With Elingher (sp) playing well and the offense humming finally under Herman, I can see it going either way, but I think this is the year Texas finally blows us out. I had a good feeling we could win last year as an underdog, but I just don't see it this year. We're just not ready for the Sanders offense to shine against conference competition and the defense is just too immature and hurt up front to go along with our annual talent gap against the likes of Texas.

22 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I've said it a million times but many who don't watch every game like I do really believe me. I'm not an x's and o's guy, just a fan that knows enough to have what I believe are valid opinions.

Our D since at least 2010 has not been as bad as our reputation. We have some really bad games for sure where we give up tons of yards and a bunch of points, but we have many more games where we give up a bunch of yards but not as many points as the yards suggest. We have often had a knack for big plays on 3rd and 4th down in key situation which is how we have managed to win so many games. The only team we literally cannot stop is OU, but we're not the only one. Games that come to mind since 2010 where we literally could not stop the other team from yards and scoring are a couple of KSU games and Baylor games. Last year was a weird year where and we were completely helpless against KSU, ISU, and Baylor. Last year was also the first I can remember where we regularly gave up first downs on 3rd and long. Like every fucking time. 

With Elingher (sp) playing well and the offense humming finally under Herman, I can see it going either way, but I think this is the year Texas finally blows us out. I had a good feeling we could win last year as an underdog, but I just don't see it this year. We're just not ready for the Sanders offense to shine against conference competition and the defense is just too immature and hurt up front to go along with our annual talent gap against the likes of Texas.

I was being a little hyperbolic.  I'm with you. It hasn't been as bad as its reputation largely because of pace, but last year's defense was terribly bad by any measure, including efficiency and per-play metrics.

This year's unit does appear to be *slightly* better, but I'm going to reserve judgement until we play some higher level offenses.  Although I do think Oregon State's offense is quite capable... probably about on par with the middle of the pack in the Big 12.

One of the odder things I've observed is the local media's narrative about our defense compared with OU's.  The "narrative" seems to be that OU's defense is *definitely* better than it was last year and that ours is still bad.  Yet, we're giving up 4.7 yards per play and OU is giving up 5.4 yards per play.  It's not like our competition has been wildly different. 

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Well I disagree. Just normal bad officiating I can tolerate, I have seen just about every freaking weird thing you can imagine, but that was on a whole different level.