Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

Last night before bed my 8 year old twins had a fucking mess in the living room.  Told them to clean it up before we watch some TV.  
They dragged ass and it took forever.  Their eyes don't seem to want to work when it's time to clean up.  This took 10 mins when it should've taken 2.  All the while my wife is sitting on the couch next to me and playing around on her phone.  
Finally I have enough and say fuck it I'll do it myself and anything I find that's still out is going in the trash can.  They speed up.  Wife is still oblivious.  
When it's finally done, my daughter asks me for a snack and I say no. It took them too long to clean up l.  She gets mad.
My wife asks if I'm mad at her and I told her that I was glad to see that she could focus on something else besides her phone.  I told her that I could've used some help and she was nowhere to be found.  
She gets mad and walks off.  Daughters mad, wifes mad, the boy is sound asleep and I went for a walk at 830 last night.
No apologies this AM.
Fuckers. 

You got mad that your 8 year olds were doing what you asked them to do, but not at the rate you wanted it done? Did you tell them you wanted it done in 2 minutes? This one might be on you.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/13/2024 at 2:33 PM, JesusSweatDuck said:

Yeah, Indoor volleyball is unique compared to almost all other girls sports.  Less camps/etc, more recruiting from the National level tournaments.  Beach is inline with soccer.  Unless you're top 50ish players you're not going to hear much, if anything, from coaches.  We've been road warriors as well, multiple college showcases.  My daughter emails all her schools (Tier 1, 2 and 3) once every two weeks or so but it's like blackhole and you hear almost nothing back.

The advice to not giving up if it doesn't happen June 15th is key, and our club director said the same.  There will be a lot of girls that get committed early, but the schools then start working through their lists.  Also, just because you don't get a call doesn't mean you shouldn't call.  Be proactive, communicate regularly.  Although, right now being in the no contact phase is super frustrating as you have zero ideas where you stand.

Indoor is a cesspool of politics. Horrible. We have a girl on our team that is playing outside hitter. She has the worst hitting percentage on the team and is our worst passer as well. The more she plays the more we lose. She was playing her in front of another girl who has terminal hitting ability. All the parents were trying to find out why she is getting so much playing time. Come to find out our coach is giving her private lessons. So basically pay to play. I had heard about stuff like that going on elsewhere but it was our first time experiencing it. The kid she is playing can't even make her high school team at the position she is playing at club, and its not like they are loaded. Meanwhile, everyone else is "first team all something" at their schools.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

You got mad that your 8 year olds were doing what you asked them to do, but not at the rate you wanted it done? Did you tell them you wanted it done in 2 minutes? This one might be on you.

At that age it shouldn’t be a “tell them 5 times before they get it done” type of situation imo. And I think the biggest issue here is if wifey had engaged in the scenario, the two parental voices would have helped resolve/encourage a better resolution. 

I get the frustration.

Get It Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

It isn’t a gotdam negotiationto do every fucking task.

Fuckthat.

In our house, if their mom had to ask them twice to do something, they knew ‘ Oh Fuck, Dad looked up from Surly…(the Shag.)’  Agree big time with the tag team parenting.

Edited by slorch

My dad was one of 6 kids.
Grew up on a farm. Kids slept upstairs. Grandma and Grandpa slept downstairs.

Dad told us that every morning Grandma would yell up the stairs to get up and do chores before eating breakfast and going to school. She'd yell 4 or 5 times before they started getting out of bed.

But if for some reason Grandma was sick and Grandpa yelled to get up, you got up. Grandpa only yelled one time and then would come up to get you out of bed, and you didn't want to be in bed when he got there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My dad was one of 6 kids.
Grew up on a farm. Kids slept upstairs. Grandma and Grandpa slept downstairs.

Dad told us that every morning Grandma would yell up the stairs to get up and do chores before eating breakfast and going to school. She'd yell 4 or 5 times before they started getting out of bed.

But if for some reason Grandma was sick and Grandpa yelled to get up, you got up. Grandpa only yelled one time and then would come up to get you out of bed, and you didn't want to be in bed when he got there.

Similar story with my dad’s old man. Apparently he called upstairs one time then would throw the ice tray from the freezer in the bed with you, which would stick to your skin. Nice guy.

At that age it shouldn’t be a “tell them 5 times before they get it done” type of situation imo. And I think the biggest issue here is if wifey had engaged in the scenario, the two parental voices would have helped resolve/encourage a better resolution. 

I get the frustration.
200.gif

It doesn’t say he told them 5 times. It says they were taking forever - which I read as the task is being completed. Also - directions were given, task was being done - why does wife need to be involved at all?

It doesn’t say he told them 5 times. It says they were taking forever - which I read as the task is being completed. Also - directions were given, task was being done - why does wife need to be involved at all?
I'd say one of two things were going on:

- there was a hard deadline like bed, dinner, etc coming up and they wasted so much time getting the task done they no longer had time before the hard deadline. Oh well. Too bad. I'm not letting you stay up another 30 minutes to watch something if you wasted 30 minutes before cleaning up.

- this isn't the first time this has happened and they need to learn that actions - or the lack thereof - have consequences. You want something? Then do what you're asked when you're asked. If I have to keep telling you over and over and you only finally do it because I'm pissed off about it, then don't expect whatever privilege you were asking for. It's the kid version of FAFO.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Based on scenario 1 - poor directions were given. Clean this up vs clean this up in 4 minutes and the timer starts now.

Scenario 2 - what action was not being done? He said they were doing the task - just really slow.

I’m going off what was originally posted - asked 8 year olds to clean up. They were cleaning up but taking forever.

7 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

My son (10) brought his lunch to school and sat down with his friend. His friend apparently forgot his lunch or didn't have money on his card or something. without being prompted, son got up and wen through the line and got his friend food on his card. And they split the lunch from home and the cafeteria lunch together. We didn't even find out about it from him. The other kids parents called us

Your daughter's story is cool, but your son's is awesome -- a level of empathy and selflessness that can be rare for kids that age.  Not because 10-year-olds can't be good friends who care about others, but at that young age they often just aren't wired to proactively problem-solve for another like that, especially if it means offering their own money or other resources.

I'd like to remember that I was overall a pretty good kid, but if I'm honest with myself, if I was in your son's position, it's quite possible that 10-year-old South Austin might have just said, "Man, I'm sorry, that sucks," and maybe would have given him some chips or something.  

Give your son a Surly fist bump for us.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'd like to remember that I was overall a pretty good kid, but if I'm honest with myself, if I was in your son's position, it's quite possible that 10-year-old South Austin might have just said, "Man, I'm sorry, that sucks," and maybe would have given him some chips or something. 

We would have popped open a milk carton, added green peas, mashed potatoes, and whatever else was on our tray.

• Haha 2

My 20 month-old still struggles with the "M" sound, so he calls mom "Baba". Which is somewhat cute on its own, but extra funny given that it's the name of the Ukrainian grandmother in Jan Brett's "The Mitten", one of his current favorites. And my wife is far from an old, gray-haired, blue-eyed white woman.

• Hook 'Em 1

Had myself a Mack Brown-related “am I a hypocrite?” moment this weekend coaching my a 4 and 6 yo sons’ flag football team. We went up 22-0 going into halftime. Other team’s coach flashed an upset look and I thought “Should I basically take a knee the rest of the game and not be accused of running up the score on some first graders? Hell no, that’s a Mack move and you gotta get the backups some meaningful reps!” 4th, 5th, 6th RBs (including the 4yo) got all the snaps in the second half with the full playbook. Final score: 36-0. Mack would call us classless clowns.

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

Had myself a Mack Brown-related “am I a hypocrite?” moment this weekend coaching my a 4 and 6 yo sons’ flag football team. We went up 22-0 going into halftime. Other team’s coach flashed an upset look and I thought “Should I basically take a knee the rest of the game and not be accused of running up the score on some first graders? Hell no, that’s a Mack move and you gotta get the backups some meaningful reps!” 4th, 5th, 6th RBs (including the 4yo) got all the snaps in the second half with the full playbook. Final score: 36-0. Mack would call us classless clowns.

Nice work, Coach. And Mack can get fucked.

Did you keep the starters in on defense?

Ugh.  Was sorting through some paperwork and found a letter from my old man, circa about 20 years ago.  Pops was an odd bird.  He did undergrad at Rice, grad work and taught at UT, went to UT Law, and then became a schoolteacher in a small town.  He was always an English teacher though.  This letter was in response to a gift I had given him. The part that always struck me was “in the brief everyday existence of life, a belief that just “being” is worthwhile and justifiable, but only if we make it so.”  

RIP pops.  Hopefully you see me being “Pops” to my grandkid.  Someday I’ll tell him stories about you being the desegregation bus driver, getting rocks thrown at you while you smiled and said “everyone can use some education, whether they want it or not.  I’m just driving the bus.”

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

On 2/19/2024 at 11:13 AM, ocugolf said:

Of our 8, 1 graded as an A, 5 B’s, and 2 C’s. Fresh implant of the A and the best B on Wednesday. Freezing the other B’s. Doctor was pretty excited with the results since we are older. Fingers crossed! 

Try not to get too worried about those grades if you end up needing them down the line. It’s a crapshoot. Our very best and very worst graded ended up being the only ones that took. Good luck. I (we), unfortunately, have been through the IVF storm for 4 retrievals and 8 implantations. Pm me if you ever need to bounce stuff off someone. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Try not to get too worried about those grades if you end up needing them down the line. It’s a crapshoot. Our very best and very worst graded ended up being the only ones that took. Good luck. I (we), unfortunately, have been through the IVF storm for 4 retrievals and 8 implantations. Pm me if you ever need to bounce stuff off someone. 

Did you tell your kids which was rated worst by the IVF Mel Kiper?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Ugh.  Was sorting through some paperwork and found a letter from my old man, circa about 20 years ago.  Pops was an odd bird.  He did undergrad at Rice, grad work and taught at UT, went to UT Law, and then became a schoolteacher in a small town.  He was always an English teacher though.  This letter was in response to a gift I had given him. The part that always struck me was “in the brief everyday existence of life, a belief that just “being” is worthwhile and justifiable, but only if we make it so.”  

RIP pops.  Hopefully you see me being “Pops” to my grandkid.  Someday I’ll tell him stories about you being the desegregation bus driver, getting rocks thrown at you while you smiled and said “everyone can use some education, whether they want it or not.  I’m just driving the bus.”

spacer.png

This is great.  You should feel lucky to have a dad that was able to love you like that.  I didn’t ever get this kind of thing from my dad and it really sucks.   I have the same flaws (impatience, selfishness, self-hatred) that my dad has but I’m absolutely desperate and determined to have a deeper more positive relationship with my kids; so far so good, but they’re not teenagers yet.

• Hook 'Em 5

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

IMG_6885.thumb.jpeg.28d2153ad4ca3539468fac53ec195fcf.jpeg

i know you know that it's worth it but NEVER GIVE UP - kid is at 4.5 months and sleeps 9-10 hr straight on week days (up at 630 for daycare) and will go up to 11 on Sat AM.

it's a glorious piece of equipment, sorry the kiddo is fighting yall so much on i

Hope he’s resting better than I am. 

Fucking DST starts in couple days.  Used to laugh at people who had a serious issue with a whopping one hour time change or time zone flight.  Then I had two munchkins and i rue the fucking day!

• Hook 'Em 1

Hope he’s resting better than I am. 

Fucking DST starts in couple days.  Used to laugh at people who had a serious issue with a whopping one hour time change or time zone flight.  Then I had two munchkins and i rue the fucking day!

DST is one of the dumbest things we do here.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It’s like the DH rule for 50 years between the leagues.  Just fucking pick one and go with it.  Only had bad jet lag twice across multiple continents.  Time changes never bothered me.  But now with kids, it’s fucking madness for a week twice a year  

And i don’t even fucking know why we went from 6/6 to 8/4 with it either.  strategery or what?  

i gotta go do dad’s club Dropoff duty in this shitty weather to give the teachers a break and show my girl the importance of service.  Y’all take ten minutes this morning and remember we gotta be better, but we’re doing okay.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/14/2024 at 8:27 AM, South Austin said:

I’m still high after my daughter’s McCallum High basketball team won the Bi-District Championship and advanced past the first round of the playoffs last night. She was on the varsity team her freshman year, the COVID year, when we all had to watch the games on YouTube, and they sucked. They got better each year, now with four seniors who have been playing together since middle school, and this year they won their second consecutive district title. Last night’s win was that much sweeter because we beat the team (East View, Georgetown) that bounced us from the first round of the playoffs last year. Very proud dad moment. (My girl is No. 13, a nod to Taylor Swift.)

4CA0D2A2-C57E-4CA9-B00D-B0B57520C813.jpeg

DBADDDA3-35E2-454D-A8F1-37E64EEAE743.jpeg

Go Knights! '90

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/17/2024 at 2:34 PM, ocugolf said:

Had 4 eggs the first time and none were of quality to fertilize. This time we had 11 and 8 were able to be fertilized. Learn tomorrow the quality. Fingers crossed that we have a couple good enough to implant.

stick two in, twins are fun! 

• Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

DST is one of the dumbest things we do here.

Putting the toddler down when it's bright outside will go off without a hitch, I'm sure. The guy has been a real asshole about bedtime, and just about everything else, as it is. Getting an early start on the terrible 2's, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 2/19/2024 at 11:13 AM, ocugolf said:

Of our 8, 1 graded as an A, 5 B’s, and 2 C’s. Fresh implant of the A and the best B on Wednesday. Freezing the other B’s. Doctor was pretty excited with the results since we are older. Fingers crossed! 

Late to this party, but congratulations, man. When we went, they were only able to harvest 2 viables, I believe we had an A and a B, and we ended up with 1 son. Real nail-biter. Shit can be so unnerving. Good luck. 

17 hours ago, Celery Man said:

He’s actually doing pretty well overall, he’s just going through a growth thing or has a stomach bug or something. This is not an atypical night, although often he needs to be resettled at about 3.

IMG_6888.thumb.jpeg.bb0333c1a3bbe07e42ed1a960b64900f.jpeg

What is this app linked to?