2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Yeah apparently Gundy kept him on staff for [checks notes] six years even though he was a fucking retard.
This is where I'm at. Unlike a guy like Harrell, there's no shortage of history on this guy, and it's pretty overwhelming positive. I have trouble believing another name will come up in this search with as positive a resume.

Yet we've found some angry fan posts on Reddit so we're ready to write off the actual quantifiable evidence on this guy and assume he probably sucks. A few posts from fans at a school where the guy was kept on staff for 6 years and during that time accomplished the negligible things below for the school? That sounds about right.

Gundy has cycled through a number of offensive coordinators since taking over for Les Miles in Stillwater, but Yurcich was one of his best — Oklahoma State averaged 38 points per game and 478.3 yards per game during Yurcich’s time with the Cowboys. In 76 games under Yurcich, the Pokes scored 40 or more points in 40.6 percent of their games, including 15 games of 50 or more points.
Four of the top six seasons for total offense in school history came under Yurcich, producing a 52-24 record, four 10-win seasons, and four bowl game victories.
Nationally, the Oklahoma State offenses ranked No. 5 in passing yards per game (315.9), No. 11 in touchdown passes (179), No. 7 in total yards (478.6), and No. 6 in scoring (38.0).

(From bon)

I would be so thrilled with Yurcich.  If that dude could get our running game even 1/2 as competent as Okie State's has been for the last decade, it would drastically improve our team.  Not to mention how aggressive oSu always is with wide open deep shots.  No more derping down the field throwing to the sticks on 3rd and 7.  Get ready for Brennan Eagles to kill defenses with Mills, if this hire happens.

• Like 4

MY recruited Rudolph and had a hand in Sanders for us, and yes his numbers were top-10 when he had one of the best quarterbacks/WR combos ever to play for the Pokes.  Our main beef was his frequent failure to make halftime adjustments and tendency to turtle up in the red zone, and overall lack of creativity at a time when the game was moving away from a flat-out air raid style.  It was maddening at times.  

Getting conservative at key moments certainly seems to be a hallmark of Gundy so it may not all be on MY.  Also his interview where he used legos to demonstrate plays was a low hanging fruit for derision when things weren’t going our way.  Also Gundy has a hard on for balance and a stout run game, wanting to head towards a more veerish RPO world that can run clock when necessary.  

I don’t have any ill will towards the man, he was receiving interest before he left osu and was surprised that he took a demotion.  Maybe he’s innovated and gotten away from mostly calling dive and 4-verts in key situations, or maybe Gundy was really telling him what plays to call...I dunno...but he was no Holgerson with innovation or Meecham with aggression, so naturally we were all torn on him.  

If anyone said it was universal sadness with our fan base when he left is full of it.  The numbers were great on paper but the results on the field were sometimes maddening. 

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Super K says Yurcich is nearly a done deal, its at least in the contract phase and thinks contract could be in hand right now

@Dbeasy has said that the deal is basically finalized - he just didn't know with which coach.

Can't believe we live in a world where Anwar was first with both the DC & OC. 

• Like 4

Super K also mentions that Beck wont be returning in any capacity. He says that the rumors floating that he is tough to work with is unfounded. He talked to someone on Gundys staff who said he was great to work with. He will do a good job recruiting QBs but wont help out as much with other positions like Beck did and will need help on the recruiting front.

Says the rumors of him being difficult to work with probably stems from him not having as much control with Kevin Wilson and Day running the offensive show (Compared it to Grinch last year). Also mentions Tyrone Carrier as a name to watch for receivers coach

Edited by RGBIII
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Okie Lite offensive SP+ - their offense struggled in Yurcich's first two seasons but performed consistently well in the three seasons prior to his departure.  Note that Texas has not had an offense as productive as Yurcich's offenses from 2016-2018 since Harsin was here.  

25 minutes ago, Homercles said:

MY recruited Rudolph and had a hand in Sanders for us, and yes his numbers were top-10 when he had one of the best quarterbacks/WR combos ever to play for the Pokes.  Our main beef was his frequent failure to make halftime adjustments and tendency to turtle up in the red zone, and overall lack of creativity at a time when the game was moving away from a flat-out air raid style.  It was maddening at times.  

Getting conservative at key moments certainly seems to be a hallmark of Gundy so it may not all be on MY.  Also his interview where he used legos to demonstrate plays was a low hanging fruit for derision when things weren’t going our way.  Also Gundy has a hard on for balance and a stout run game, wanting to head towards a more veerish RPO world that can run clock when necessary.  

I don’t have any ill will towards the man, he was receiving interest before he left osu and was surprised that he took a demotion.  Maybe he’s innovated and gotten away from mostly calling dive and 4-verts in key situations, or maybe Gundy was really telling him what plays to call...I dunno...but he was no Holgerson with innovation or Meecham with aggression, so naturally we were all torn on him.  

If anyone said it was universal sadness with our fan base when he left is full of it.  The numbers were great on paper but the results on the field were sometimes maddening. 

Oklahoma State's red zone and third down scoring percentages both got worse this year, didn't they?

Edited by Huckleberry

Just now, RGBIII said:

Super K also mentions that Beck wont be returning in any capacity. He also says that the rumors floating that he is tough to work with is unfounded. He talked to someone on Gundys staff who said he was great to work with. He will do a good job recruiting QBs but wont help out as much with other positions like Beck did and will need help on the recruiting front. Says the rumors of him being difficult to work with probably stems from him not having as much control with Kevin Wilson and Day running the offensive show (Compared it to Grinch last year). Also mentions Tyrone Carrier as a name to watch for receivers coach

Carrier coached/recruited some damn good WR's at West Virginia.

We're going to miss Beck's OOS recruting.  Carrier should help - but we need to get another big time recruiter or two.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Carrier is a re-tread name from last cycle, right?  Wasn't he floated around a couple times last offseason as a potential Meh replacement?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyron_Carrier

Holgorsen gave him the title of Assistant Head Coach. He's originally from H-Town and has been coaching WRs since 2016. Not sure how he is as a recruiter, but having Houston roots can't hurt.

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyron_Carrier

Holgorsen gave him the title of Assistant Head Coach. He's originally from H-Town and has been coaching WRs since 2016. Not sure how he is as a recruiter, but having Houston roots can't hurt.

I know who he is.

My post was about last offseason, when Holgo left WVU for Houston, I recall there being rumors that Carrier was going to come to Texas, instead of following Holgo to Houston.

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

I know who he is.

My post was about last offseason, when Holgo left WVU for Houston, I recall there being rumors that Carrier was going to come to Texas, instead of following Holgo to Houston.

You're right - there was definitely some hope on this board that Carrier would be a candidate should Herman finally cut dead weight.

There is no less reliable source for information than a fanbase after a coach voluntarily leaves the program.

The move from Oklahoma State to Ohio State made sense - Yurcich is from Ohio and got a $150k raise.

The move from Ohio State to Texas would make sense - Yurcich would almost assuredly get play-calling duties as well as another hefty raise.

These conspiracy theories of him being pushed out or whatever are most likely worth what we have paid for them.  There's no such thing as the perfect OC, but this dude has routinely been a part of badass offenses and would be a great hire in my book.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There's no such thing as the perfect OC, but this dude has routinely been on badass offenses and would be a great hire in my book.

His penchant for running zone read out of 10 personnel is enough to convince me that he could be really effective on our staff.

Just now, Katfid54 said:
2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There's no such thing as the perfect OC, but this dude has routinely been on badass offenses and would be a great hire in my book.

His penchant for running zone read out of 10 personnel is enough to convince me that he could be really effective on our staff.

Here's a video of him scheming out ZR from 10 personnel. 

He doesn't draw it up this way on the whiteboard, but if you stick around for the cutups of them running ZR against Tech, he uses a fake WR screen to pull strong safety away from the QB run lane, which also allows the WR enough time to both pull off the fake and block the safety:

8lNMyj.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Yet we've found some angry fan posts on Reddit so we're ready to write off the actual quantifiable evidence on this guy and assume he probably sucks. A few posts from fans at a school where the guy was kept on staff for 6 years

Reddit ranks right up there with twitter in my book. The intellience level of posters, the depth of analysis, the patience and rationality all rival throwing a bag of dog shit in a blender without a lid and pushing “liquefy.”

i would put surly in the same category, but this place vacillates between “I’m gonna fucking kill you!” and “I love you, man!” depending on the average B.A.C.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Maybe I'm just down on us because of the last decade, but have we done anything that creative and awesome since Harsin left?

There have been some really nice one-off packages or plays that Herman has implemented that have worked really well for us.  Like the empty set RPO package Herman put in before the TCU game in 2018.  Or some of the TE/RB throwback stuff we used to great effect in 2017 with Chris Warren and Daniel Young.  This past year, I can think of the delayed sideline pass to Cade Brewer against oSu that helped us win that game.

But as a general rule, having a scheme that routinely relies on putting defenders in conflict and then exploiting those weaknesses?  Naw.  We haven't been super great at that.  The other thing I like about this look is that since the WR is behind the LOS, he's a true option for the QB.  The QB can slow play his attack on the line of scrimmage, if the safety is screaming towards him (instead of covering the screen) and then hit the WR.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Super K says Yurcich is nearly a done deal, its at least in the contract phase and thinks contract could be in hand right now

So that puts us in the "hopefully Herman doesn't shoot boogers at him and give him a wedgie while he's reading the contract" phase 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fud said:

So that puts us in the "hopefully Herman doesn't shoot boogers at him and give him a wedgie while he's reading the contract" phase 

But everyone knows the all important phase is the next one, which is the "Hopefully he can get over the fact that Herman shot boogers at him and gave him a wedgie while he was reading the contract" phase.

There is no less reliable source for information than a fanbase after a coach voluntarily leaves the program. The move from Oklahoma State to Ohio State made sense - Yurcich is from Ohio and got a $150k raise.

The move from Ohio State to Texas would make sense - Yurcich would almost assuredly get play-calling duties as well as another hefty raise.

These conspiracy theories of him being pushed out or whatever are most likely worth what we have paid for them.  There's no such thing as the perfect OC, but this dude has routinely been a part of badass offenses and would be a great hire in my book.

This. Not to mention the biggest knock on him was that he'd get predictable in the red zone and end of game situations. That's been a Gundy staple regardless of OC. Now, that's a Herman staple too, so we'll probably continue to see it, but when the worst thing said about him is really a knock on the HC it's hard to worry much about the opinions of fans. Also, there are some serious football rubes on reddit in particular.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

There have been some really nice one-off packages or plays that Herman has implemented that have worked really well for us.  Like the empty set RPO package Herman put in before the TCU game in 2018.  Or some of the TE/RB throwback stuff we used to great effect in 2017 with Chris Warren and Daniel Young.  This past year, I can think of the delayed sideline pass to Cade Brewer against oSu that helped us win that game.

But as a general rule, having a scheme that routinely relies on putting defenders in conflict and then exploiting those weaknesses?  Naw.  We haven't been super great at that.  The other thing I like about this look is that since the WR is behind the LOS, he's a true option for the QB.  The QB can slow play his attack on the line of scrimmage, if the safety is screaming towards him (instead of covering the screen) and then hit the WR.  

Not a package, but that throw back screen to Cosmi in the WV game was pretty tits too

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There is no less reliable source for information than a fanbase after a coach voluntarily leaves the program.

The move from Oklahoma State to Ohio State made sense - Yurcich is from Ohio and got a $150k raise.

Counterpoint. Name a coach that previous fanbase badmouths that does well at next stop?