Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

We are acting like there are only two options available. Either we snag the greatest college football coach of our era or we might as well ride it out with a guy that has proven he can't get it done. I guess If those were really our only options, I would agree that there is no point in paying the huge contract buyouts. 
  How about another option. How about doing a serious talent search for a guy that has at least proven himself competent as a head coach? I don't care how much Tom Herman was being pursued by LSU. I don't care that his Houston team beat the Sooners. After the failure of Charlie Strong, to hire a guy with one and a half years head coaching experience was foolishness. The Charlie Strong hire was even more inexplicable. Those were not professionally done coaching searches. There are schools out there like Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Clemson, and yes even Texas A&M that take their coaching searches more serious than we do.
  Who should we hire? I don't know. It's not my full-time job to know. I haven't made it my career to find and analyze coaching talent. I don't keep a current list of potential hires in my desk. There is such a person. He makes over $2,000,000 a year because he is supposed to be one of the best. He also gave our current failed coach a contract extension for no apparent reason. So, if he doesn't know where the next Nick Saben is, or at least the next Lincoln Riley, he better find him.
There are athletic directors all over the country that probably have some dream hires that they would love to make for their football program, but salary restrictions or the prestige of the college just make it unrealistic. That is not the case for CDC. With the exception of 4 or 5 coaches, he can literally choose anyone he wants. If he can't find someone that will at least be moderately successful why did we bring him in as our AD?
If I were going to pinpoint one thing this program has been lacking the last ten years it would be accountability. Someone needs to be accountable for this mess. Many people need to be accountable. From the players all the way up to the administration. Why are we letting CDC off so easy? Well, he tried to get UM so what else can he do? Bullshit. He was hired for this. CDC go find us a coach.
This shit right here. I don't necessarily agree with the aggressiveness towards CDC because he's currently 0 for 0 on his football hires and hitting home runs on every other hire. He deserves benefit of the doubt for now. But damn it's pathetic that people are acting all hang dog like we can't get basically anyone but the top 5 or 6 guys in college football. There are programs that are peers but there are no superior programs to Texas and there sure as shit aren't better major p5 cities than Austin. CDC will try for every tier 1 guy and if they say no he'll pick whichever tier 2 guy he wants. And that tier 2 guy will be light years better than Tom and Charlie of tier fromunda cheese.

I don't think this fan base really understands how shitty Tom and Charlie are.

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

At a certain level you just offer Saban or Dabo like 15 a year bc- why not?  Texas being good is a license to print money. 
or offer someone like John Harbaugh a 10 year 150 million dollar offer. 
12 million for urban always felt kind of light- like we wanted to go big but without actually going big. 

Not sure I'm guaranteeing something like that to a guy with little college experience. (I'd have to look up if he ever spent any time in college. If he has, he hasn't recruited in 10+ years.) I'm OK offering that kind of guarantee to Urban, Saban or Dabo. First off, I never expected Urban to last longer than 4-5 years anyways. But those guys are slam dunks. NFL guy coming to CFB, I'm less certain about and reluctant to guarantee that kind of contract. Fuck that up and it truly is a program killer.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

We all think that. Look what Mack did at UNC. Bring his ass back and let Sally make cookies. 

He went 7-3 and didn't play in the ACC conference title game. We can already lose three games and not play for the conference title with Herman.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, I read that too. Believe me, I have no confidence that it would work, but “Texas hires the football wunderkind and surrounds him with the best coordinators/assistants money can buy” is at least exciting and the type of thing that could save recruiting, at least temporarily.

If the head guy can't handle the job it is a real risk.  LSU got lucky as fuck that Burrow transferred.

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

It want about money, it was about ego. Being the highest paid coach in all of football was alluring to him imo. Lining up his guys as well as the rabid excitement and expectations we have expressed is not. 

At the same time, UM didn’t leave tOSU on his own terms. That motivates some. Maybe the 3 school NC thing too. It is a lot of shit to go thru to be HC here, like most major programs, but 8 figures can buy a lot of therapy and scotch.

Look, I know We're Texas, but we need to purge the fucking listing of names from this thread that are totally fucking stupid.  Dabo.  Mullen.  Kelly.  With all due respect, we aren't getting guys who are coaching at elite programs or programs that they've built into elite programs over the five years) barring some miracle.  They will likely use us to leverage more money from their current AD's at best.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, immamac said:

IMO it's Urban or bust. Fire Tom and hire some idiot for 500k/yr until we can dick whip someone who actually knows how to coach football. Until then it's all just a waste of money anyone can coach top 10 recruiting classes to fucking 3-5 loss seasons. 

I am in total agreement with this concept! Why do we have to keep giving these G5 coaches a 5 year $5mn per year guaranteed contract coming off $1-$2mn contracts at their small schools?  This just leads to our constant cycle of locking into the wrong guy and having to beg big donors to buyout bad contracts. 

We should reset how contracts in football are made by finding coaches who are hungry to win at UT. Offer a short-term incentive-laden contract, which is say 3 years and a $2mn per season. But, you get a $2mn bonus for a 10 win season, an added $2mn bonus if you win a conference championship, an added $2 million bonus if you make the playoffs, an added $2mn bonus if you make the championship game and another $2 mn bonus if you win the National Championship. So, we are only guaranteeing $6mn over 3 years, but a coach can make up to $12mn and should make at least $4mn and we can always extend 2 years if he is a badass for recruiting purposes. We can also offer complete control and his own assistant AD for recruiting who can coordinate player “imaging rights” with big donors going forward. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, deech said:

Look, I know We're Texas, but we need to purge the fucking listing of names from this thread that are totally fucking stupid.  Dabo.  Mullen.  Kelly.  With all due respect, we aren't getting guys who are coaching at elite programs or programs that they've built into elite programs over the five years) barring some miracle.  They will likely use us to leverage more money from their current AD's at best.

Well, you're wrong about Kelly. We can get Kelly. 

Chip-Kelly.jpg?fit=1200,800&ssl=1

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Not sure I'm guaranteeing something like that to a guy with little college experience. (I'd have to look up if he ever spent any time in college. If he has, he hasn't recruited in 10+ years.) I'm OK offering that kind of guarantee to Urban, Saban or Dabo. First off, I never expected Urban to last longer than 4-5 years anyways. But those guys are slam dunks. NFL guy coming to CFB, I'm less certain about and reluctant to guarantee that kind of contract. Fuck that up and it truly is a program killer.

I’d have to see if he was actually interested in recruiting and the like. He’s the son of a life long college coach. He’s also not an offensive or defensive genius- he’s a special teams coach- so that means his specialty isn’t one side X’s and O’s But rather organizational and management and empowerment of competent coordinator types. He’s a manager and an optimizer- which I think are talents needed at UT if you are also into talent aquisition. I have no idea if he’d even answer a phone call, but of all the guys in the nfl he’d be the guy I wanted to talk to. 

2 minutes ago, UT Lax said:

I am in total agreement with this concept! Why do we have to keep giving these G5 coaches a 5 year $5mn per year guaranteed contract coming off $1-$2mn contracts at their small schools?  This just leads to our constant cycle of locking into the wrong guy and having to beg big donors to buyout bad contracts. 

We should reset how contracts in football are made by finding coaches who are hungry to win at UT. Offer a short-term incentive-laden contract, which is say 3 years and a $2mn per season. But, you get a $2mn bonus for a 10 win season, an added $2mn bonus if you win a conference championship, an added $2 million bonus if you make the playoffs, an added $2mn bonus if you make the championship game and another $2 mn bonus if you win the National Championship. So, we are only guaranteeing $6mn over 3 years, but a coach can make up to $12mn and should make at least $4mn and we can always extend 2 years if he is a badass for recruiting purposes. We can also offer complete control and his own assistant AD for recruiting who can coordinate player “imaging rights” with big donors going forward. 

We're Texas.  we are only going to reset the market up not down.  

• Like 1

Agreed. Urban came from non-power five. Riley and Stoops were coordinators. Dabo was a freaking WR coach. Saban didn’t do much more at Michigan State than Dan Mullen did at Mississippi State. In fact, the Saban to Bama and Urban to Ohio State thing is pretty rare. Usually the great coaches are discovered organically. Obviously you pursue Urban until you get your “no.” At that point you do a thorough vetting of the best available options, contrary to how we conducted our last two coaching searches. 

Well fuck me. I said this same shit, basically, 19,000 some odd posts ago

6 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

People on this board like to claim Saban was willing to leave Bama to come to Texas.  On that basis it isn't that far fetched.

1. That was before this board.

2. For the millionth time it was the media peddling that. Stop blaming the public for the media's fuckups.

Just now, closetohumping said:

Who would go for this:

joe Brady hc

jeff traylor oc

boom dc

matt mcconoughy culture minister 

Brady's already been discarded as a college HC candidate... per CTJ he bombed an interview at SCar and balked at the responsibilities (recruiting, etc.) that would come with a head coaching gig.

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

We are about to find out if he's a good Women's AD or a good Texas AD.

So far, in football, basketball and baseball the moves or lack thereof that he's made aren't stellar.

I agree I am not impressed so far but I am willing to wait until he has hired somebody. So far he still has the last regime's dudes with their terrible contracts. I want to see better management moving forward.

Who would go for this:
joe Brady hc
jeff traylor oc
boom dc
matt mcconoughy culture minister 
Brady will be an NFL coach before college. His roots are NFL under Sean Payton. He's an NFL guy with a brief college stint.

Jets or Cowboys or some other shit team will offer him the HC job this offseason trying to replicate Kingsbury. He's not in play both because he's not qualified and because he's got his eyes on more professional jobs. I'd rather have Rhule anyway if we go that way.

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

We are about to find out if he's a good Women's AD or a good Texas AD.

So far, in football, basketball and baseball the moves or lack thereof that he's made aren't stellar.

I agree. decent was used by me on purpose.  I am giving him some leeway that 

Football - extended Herman(regardless if the FEnves rumor is correct) - bad - now he has to fix

Basketball - did not extend Smart might have fired him if Herman had done his job - he has to fix Football first and write a big check - see above - Shaka is lucky we are a football school

Baseball - our coach went to the CWS 2 years ago - I don't think he's the guy but baseball is whatever until he fixes the first 2.

• Hook 'Em 1

The funny thing is- and I truly and really believe this- is I think we could cut a $500k check to someone like CTJ or Scipio or anyone with decent football knowledge but intelligence and sales or management proficiencies and wreck shit here. 
It’s really not a hard job. You have all manner of advantages over all your opponents. We are just hiring from a pool of dipshits and morons who are the best and brightest of the PE major graduates from the 1970’s, 80’s and 90’s. 
It’s so frustrating bc it’s really not that hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I will not believe a no until/if Herman is still coaching for Texas in a week. If the herm is still here, there are probably about 50 coaches currently coaching in the NCAA that are better than Herm.  However, the problem of which of those coaches will inspire boosters to open check books, I have no clue.

Make Saban and Dabo both say no to 14 million @ 7 years, then....

Here are some acceptable names, far better than Herm, imo: 

Harsin

Muschamp

Guy that left Baylor to go to pros

Mullen

Freeze

After that, conduct a real serious search for someone under age 45 who has skins on the wall.  There have to be some guys who have multiple conference championships.  For the unknown guys, put in incentives, huge incentives for winning a conference championship.  There has got to be a better alternative than bringing tom back. 

Do not want:  Brown, Miles

2 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

oklahoma sooners yes GIF by ESPN College Football

This cocksucker is still tan and rested

Tanned and rested for Urban's Fox gig. Urbans the next HC until proven otherwise. Everything tonight was fodder. We won't know anything definitive probably for the next week. If not we'll fuck me and fuck you too cause we're fucked for the foreseeable future. But it's nothing to beat ourselves up over. Life goes on and we'll be good again. One day 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Fuck it. Call Saban again. See if he's fed up with Bama's fan base. Offer him the Urban deal. Come win a title at a third school.

As a backup plan, we call Dabo and tell him that we will evict the Church of Scientology on the Drag and re-plant his house of recruiting there. 

I will not believe a no until/if Herman is still coaching for Texas in a week. If the herm is still here, there are probably about 50 coaches currently coaching in the NCAA that are better than Herm.  However, the problem of which of those coaches will inspire boosters to open check books, I have no clue.
Harsin
Muschamp
Mullen
Freeze
After that, conduct a real serious search for someone under age 45 who has skins on the wall.  There have to be some guys who have multiple conference championships.  For the unknown guys, put in incentives, huge incentives for winning a conference championship.  There has got to be a better alternative than bringing tom back. 

If Herman is still here after all this, he will know that he is in big fucking trouble if we dont do really good next year, and if hes truly worth his salt, that pressure will kick him into gear and we'll start winning again.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Harsin

Muschamp

Mullen

Freeze

Muschamp?  Freeze?  now you are trolling.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Slight disagreement.

Texas Sports Priority

1) Football

2) Baseball

3) Basketball

I knew this was coming.  yeah, we're old.  Basketball is a potential big revenue sport and we have a new arena coming.  Baseball is 3rd on the priority list in any university.

3 minutes ago, UrbanTheMeyer said:

If Herman is still here after all this, he will know that he is in big fucking trouble if we dont do really good next year, and if hes truly worth his salt, that pressure will kick him into gear and we'll start winning again.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Lol, did you quote this from last year?

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

We're Texas.  we are only going to reset the market up not down.  

So you don’t think Jamey Chadwell who has worked miracles at Coastal Carolina, which did not even have football 4 years ago, and whom makes just $375,000 wouldn’t take a guaranteed 2mn per year to be the head coach at UT with the potential to make $12mn per year?  How about Bill Napier who only makes $880k and up to just $950k at Louisiana Lafayette?

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Harsin wouldn’t be the worst hire in the world (probably). Might actually be what we thought we were getting with Herman. 

it would be the opposite of dabo.  we'd have to expand the scientology place on the drag.   

• Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic