Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

I also think people dismissing a Fickell or Napier because Herman and Strong were busts aren't looking at the situation quite right. Strong was the result of a disastrous, panicked process. He's kind of an outlier.  He never should have been hired.  While Herman was a hot name at the time, he did have some red flags.  However, just because Herman didn't work out, doesn't mean the next up and coming coach is going to bust as well.  Each coach is different and needs to be evaluated on individual merits.  Some might have the goods, and some might not.  Urban Meyer wasn't a successful P5 coach before Florida. 
I'm not necessarily advocating for those guys particularly. I'm not familiar enough with either of them.  However, I don't think they should dismissed out of hand because they're not established P5 coaches already.  Neither Herman nor Strong should be any kind of factor in their evaluations.  

Spot on. I like a different name than you do but your point is right down the middle of the plate.

Lot of folks don't fully understand how shitty Charlie and Tom are, and underestimate how good this team would be with just a passable coach. Herman is terrible. Strong was terrible. Basically swap tom for any p5 coach with a .500 or better record and we beat TCU and don't need the grace of God to beat tech. Most decent high school coaches could find a way to beat TTU and TCU with the talent gap we have.

Our fan base has just forgotten what average coaching looks like because it got fired awhile back and wears baby blue now.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I think people dismissing a Fickell or Napier because Herman and Strong were busts aren't looking at the situation quite right. Strong was the result of a disastrous, panicked process. He's kind of an outlier.  He never should have been hired.  While Herman was a hot name at the time, he did have some red flags.  However, just because Herman didn't work out, doesn't mean the next up and coming coach is going to bust as well.  Each coach is different and needs to be evaluated on individual merits.  Some might have the goods, and some might not.  Urban Meyer wasn't a successful P5 coach before Florida. 

I'm not necessarily advocating for those guys particularly. I'm not familiar enough with either of them.  However, I don't think they should dismissed out of hand because they're not established P5 coaches already.  Neither Herman nor Strong should be any kind of factor in their evaluations.  

Good take. I could definitely get up for Fickel. If it weren't for the weird recruiting faux pas (plural) and losing to TCU 3 times I'd almost rather keep Herman than Campbell. I'd be pretty disillusioned with Campbell. 

If it isn't Urban I doubt it's anyone outside of those 2. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

Now he can't coach a big time program but he knows how to keep kids from cramping. 

Probably because everybody does it and it is unusual at all? My point was it might be meaningless so acting like the piss chart is this big deal doesn't make much sense to me. 

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

Can he also bring all the tier 3 DC/OC and position coaches he knows or maybe can he leverage hiring some folks that aren’t 100% beholden to him?

Yeah, we should definitely let the next non-P5 head coach we hire bring along comfort hires that shoot the wheels off the program right from the start!

8 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I think people dismissing a Fickell or Napier because Herman and Strong were busts aren't looking at the situation quite right. Strong was the result of a disastrous, panicked process. He's kind of an outlier.  He never should have been hired.  While Herman was a hot name at the time, he did have some red flags.  However, just because Herman didn't work out, doesn't mean the next up and coming coach is going to bust as well.  Each coach is different and needs to be evaluated on individual merits.  Some might have the goods, and some might not.  Urban Meyer wasn't a successful P5 coach before Florida. 

What's funny is that fat fuck Ketch did point to a drinking problem before we hired him.  

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

3rd time's the charm for hiring a non-P5 guy to turn our luck around?

You evaluate your best options.  If the best option is a G5 coach, you hire him.  Past failures with G5 coaches does not mean the next G5 coach will not work out.  Sometimes you get a Herman, sometimes you get an Urban.  More likely you get something in between.  You just want someone very good making the evaluation and decision.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Yea, no. 

So stupid to disrupt your sleep like that. Good sleep is one of the most important markers for so many aspects of physical and mental performance. 

Counterpoint: it's not that hard to hydrate enough to pee clearish after your first morning void. That is overkill on his part.

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Urban Meyer was a G5 coach assraping Bama and Saban in undefeated seasons with a bunch of goddamned Mormons before Florida. 

However I do agree with you. For people who lean toward retaining Herman for fear of the unknown, I hope you get testicular torsion. That is the dumbest thinking we could possibly have. 

Right on!!

1.gif

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, we should definitely let the next non-P5 head coach we hire bring along comfort hires that shoot the wheels off the program right from the start!

Hopefully CDC would not allow that. I agree those regimes damaged themselves horribly with the initial coaching staffs.  I think CDC will ask who they would be bringing as assistants.  It needs to be part of the evaluation.  

The last 15 years have clearly demonstrated that to win a championship, you need either a great coach (Saban, Meyer, Dabo) or a transcendent QB (Vince, Burrow, Jameis Winston). We don't have a transcendent QB so we need a great coach. Herman isn't that guy so there's no excuse for keeping him. I don't buy that the administration or athletic department are holding us back. USC was a shit show before Carroll arrived. Same with Clemson before Dabo, Florida before Spurrier, etc. Programs are great because of they have great coaches, not the other way around. It's extremely rare to have the opportunity to hire a can't miss coach. Saban at Alabama and Meyer at OSU are the only examples I can think of and they were both unusual situations. Royal, Stoops, and Carroll are "the norm" in that their respective schools essentially won the lottery.

53 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

What kind of night shift is this? Lol. This is all just a ploy to guilt trip me into posting my album of nudes. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. Ha.

On a more pertinent note, I would still like to see how everything plays out tomorrow. And through the week. I hope that the website traffic will continue. I start my new job/training tomorrow so I won't have the time to post much during the day. I haven't given up hope entirely just yet. But I have to temper my joy at this point. We have had too many failures.

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RabidM said:

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

3rd time's the charm for hiring a non-P5 guy to turn our luck around?

exactly.  the reason we didn't fail with Mack is because DKR and a handful of ex players he trusted went to Mack when Deloss wanted Gary Barnett.  If we hire Barnet we have 5 maybe 6(because we would have to have replaced Barnett)failures in a row.  the ONLY thing Herman has going for him over the other failures is he hasn't had a losing season yet.  If we keep him, my bet is that happens next year. He can't win with a 4 year starting QB and the OL is STILL a fucking disaster.  We need a sure fucking thing that can instill a real winning culture because of 60 years of mismanagement unless DKR is involved.

We should moneywhip Mullen.  what he did at the hell hole that is Miss St is borderline a miracle.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Yea, no. 

So stupid to disrupt your sleep like that. Good sleep is one of the most important markers for so many aspects of physical and mental performance. 

I’d wager half the board wakes up to piss at 3 am regularly. Of course, it’s due to BPH. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Urban Meyer was a G5 coach assraping Bama and Saban in undefeated seasons with a bunch of goddamned Mormons before Florida. 

However I do agree with you. For people who lean toward retaining Herman for fear of the unknown, I hope you get testicular torsion. That is the dumbest thinking we could possibly have. 

Urban went undefeated in '04 with Utah but they didn't play anyone worth a shit. They beat #19 Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl.

I don't know why people think Urban was the coach in '08 - he was well into his UF tenure by that point. 

The '08 Utah team that went 13-0 incl. the Sugar Bowl win over Alabama was coached by Kyle Whittingham who is still there to this day. Mildly hot, tangential take, that team has a pretty decent claim to a national championship.

Sounds like this is a bust.

I'll resume my POF and HON thread contributions.

Honestly, I think we're doing this all wrong.  Here's what I would do.  Fire MENSA because he's a proven fuck up.

Then, hire another G5 coach ringer.  Doesn't really matter who, just do it. Then with all the money we saved by

not hiring Urban, use those millions to pay off every top recruit in the state---no fuck that--in the country.  Play

dirty.  Let the money flow. DGAF about the NCAA and just win.  I'd rather be the dirtiest fucking program out there

rather than replacing coaches every 5 years.  The constant is 5-star recruits.  They're available every year.

Load up on those guys--pay off the mom, the uncle, the trainer--who gives a shit. Any half-ass coach will be able

to win with a loaded roster.

Fuck it

25 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I mean in a scenario where I'm trying to figure out the most realistic scenario I'll choose "old rich guy wasn't sure if he wanted to come back to a high stress job" over "guy had a mustache-twirlingly evil plan to fuck over a school that he has no real beef with for no reason".

Username checks out etc..

So are you saying that is the only plausible motivation UM could have to string this out like this? That it took him two months to realize that he didn't want to come back to a high stress job? I would have expected that to have been a gating item rather than something to consider up through getting contract parameters greater than any other coach and generally authority to do whatever the hell he wants with the program. Seems like a backwards way of progressing through the decision. Just wondering how a brilliant mind like yours would have answered the original question instead of trying to reframe the premise as though people are complaining that the scenario I lied out is what I actually think. 

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

We should moneywhip Mullen.  what he did at the hell hole that is Miss St is borderline a miracle.

All we'd do is guarantee him a raise. He's about to play Bama for a shot at the SEC title and a playoff berth. He wouldn't entertain us till January at the earliest. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

All we'd do is guarantee him a raise. He's about to play Bama for a shot at the SEC title and a playoff berth. He wouldn't entertain us till January at the earliest. 

If that’s the case.  Let it be until then.

Mullen is a good coach.  

3 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

The last 15 years have clearly demonstrated that to win a championship, you need either a great coach (Saban, Meyer, Dabo) or a transcendent QB (Vince, Burrow, Jameis Winston). We don't have a transcendent QB so we need a great coach. Herman isn't that guy so there's no excuse for keeping him. I don't buy that the administration or athletic department are holding us back. USC was a shit show before Carroll arrived. Same with Clemson before Dabo, Florida before Spurrier, etc. Programs are great because of they have great coaches, not the other way around. It's extremely rare to have the opportunity to hire a can't miss coach. Saban at Alabama and Meyer at OSU are the only examples I can think of and they were both unusual situations. Royal, Stoops, and Carroll are "the norm" in that their respective schools essentially won the lottery.

Clemson got lucky with Dabo... He wasn't "The Sure Thing" 

His 6-7 record at Clemson in his 3rd season almost cost him that job...

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

I have a pessimistic take on all this.  Should I post it, or just keep my trap shut, and/or jam a fist up my ass?

Yeah, save that for the day shift. The night crew prefers to stay untethered from reality. My source says that while Herman will remain the coach in public, Urban Meyer has been named “shadow coach.” That way we get to keep the charm of coach MENSA while coach Meyer serves as the puppet master. I know it sounds crazy and pointless, but my source is a level 9 Thetan.

9 minutes ago, RabidM said:

You evaluate your best options.  If the best option is a G5 coach, you hire him.  Past failures with G5 coaches does not mean the next G5 coach will not work out.  Sometimes you get a Herman, sometimes you get an Urban.  More likely you get something in between.  You just want someone very good making the evaluation and decision.  

It's not my money so I don't give a shit but the guys cutting the buyout might give a shit that we're rolling the dice on another non-P5 guy. The buyout is a factor in a year where the athletic department cannot afford to buyout another failed coaching hire. It's the reason Shaka is still our basketball coach.

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

He could do the same thing here except play bitch ass Oklahoma instead of the best dynasty in the history of college football, get paid more, and live in Austin instead of the terrible combination of living in Florida but not on the beach. We'll get Mullen if we want him, but I don't think we do. I feel confident that CDC has a strong plan B lined up. 

Edited by BradInATX

This is some weak ass reporting out there.  It’s not catching fire but it is throwing everyone off the trail and it’s “a source at Texas” and nothing more. Urbans not a no until Herman is retained or his replacement is announced.  Could be confirmed no that’s true but it could also be the dampen the frenzy about to start this week.  Going to bed, And we will see how the week goes.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

As opposed to squid and rapgamelarry?

Barstool is not adding new information. I'm not entirely sure Chip added any new information.

If anyone actually bothered to read what the fuck he wrote, by the way, you'd see in plain writing that it is nothing but educated assumptions being made.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

He could do the same thing here except play bitch ass Oklahoma instead of the best dynasty in the history of college football, get paid more, and live in Austin instead of the terrible combination of living in Florida but not on the beach. We'll get Mullen if we want him, but I don't think we do. 

He's building something at Florida that's finally paying off with a QB that might win the Heisman. He's not leaving that to come to Texas which has no good quarterbacks, no decent recruiting for the next 2 years, and is getting the best players in the state peeled away by the SEC and Ohio State. Stop the delusion of we can get whomever we want when that's clearly not the case. This job has gotten a lot harder since aggy joined the SEC and OU has been producing multiple Heisman winners. 

Edited by mdmost

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic