Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

To the people who place their faith in the power of the money whip.... Evidence is mounting that people who are already rich can't be money-whipped.  Principle of diminishing marginal utility, Econ 101.

Also, if college football really were an activity in which you could simply buy your way to the top, would doing so really be worthwhile?

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean, it sure seems like it's over. My main thing is and still will be not having Tom Herman as our coach in 2021. I always just kind of assumed he wasn't coming because that's the way things seem to work out for us over the last decade. 

But imagine how hilarious it would be if this was leaked to FCB to pay him back for the hit piece he wrote a couple of years back. I doubt it but that would be too glorious for words. 

Edited by campcrunk
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Not even close.

I stand corrected, Ben. 

11 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

been married 30 years and I've never thought she was at all hot

Not sure anyone is saying she's hot, but plenty here would plow it like a farmer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, satyanash said:

(Chip Brown) Source: Texas' flirtation with Urban Meyer appears over

So your administration is so shitty they're going to torpedo their coach that just went 6-3 and has a 25 million total buyout because they don't like his personality and because he didn't force his players to stand for a song? 

From a humble Brit on the outside looking in on this fiasco... If you want to know why your program is mediocre despite having all sorts of money? This type of horrific mismanagement is the reason why. The number of reporters I've seen quoted here sabotaging the coaches with leaks, propaganda, and probably some lies is insane. It's worse than Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, or ManU. Hell it's worse than the Cowboys. And in a business where you have to recruit your talent instead of select it that's extremely problematic. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You're right - 8 wins is way too optimistic with a RS freshman in Card or Casey Thompson at QB.  Conversely - maybe Bijan actually starts and gets starters carries? Nope.  Bijan likely sits while Roschon or a grad transfer start the season and take his carries.

But you know who it's not too optimistic for? Ja'Quinden Jackson. 

• Like 2

Just now, campcrunk said:

I mean, it sure seems like it's over. My main thing is and still will be not having Tom Herman as our coach in 2021. 

But imagine how hilarious it would be if this was leaked to FCB to pay him back for the hit piece he wrote a couple of years back. I doubt it but that would be too glorious for words. 

He didn’t even get a call, he just repackaged IT’s report, that’s it.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

So let’s say the rumors are true and the perception of top established and proven talent is our considerable resources and recruiting base aren’t worth the headache of meeting great expectations.  How can the University change those perceptions?  Or should they?  Are we Excalibur stuck in the stone waiting as up and comer after up and comer takes a tug waiting for fate to eventually delivering someone worthy?  If so, perhaps it’s not a savior we need, but a fixer.  

Look at who's won consistently the past 10 years: Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and OU. Only one of those schools was built up slowly, Clemson. The others had initially great coaching hires who won quickly (Stoops, Saban, Tressel) and then built dynasties. Then they were able to handpick a successor that would ensure the quality of the program endured. Ohio State got a MNC winning head coach to come over. Our only option if Urban is gone is to gamble eventually on the next hire and hope he can win quickly. We aren't going to get there with Herman. Unfortunately, we're saddled with a buyout that only makes sense for other people to pay if the right hire comes along. 

Edited by mdmost

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

To the people who place their faith in the power of the money whip.... Evidence is mounting that people who are already rich can't be money-whipped.  Principle of diminishing marginal utility, Econ 101.

Also, if college football really were an activity in which you could simply buy your way to the top, would doing so really be worthwhile?

You must kill it with the ladies.

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You're right - 8 wins is way too optimistic with a RS freshman in Card or Casey Thompson at QB.  Conversely - maybe Bijan actually starts and gets starters carries? Nope.  Bijan likely sits while Roschon or a grad transfer start the season and take his carries.

I mean he did get 9 carries against K State. How could you expect more? 

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

If he isn’t coming to Texas it’s health (which people only value over money when their health is at risk) or fear of failure and tarnishing his reputation (borne out of not being able to bring his tOSU crew). He isn’t saying no because he’s rich enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, troph said:

If he isn’t coming to Texas it’s health (which people only value over money when their health is at risk) or fear of failure and tarnishing his reputation (borne out of not being able to bring his tOSU crew). He isn’t saying no because he’s rich enough. 

only that.

3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

So your administration is so shitty they're going to torpedo their coach that just went 6-3 and has a 25 million total buyout because they don't like his personality and because he didn't force his players to stand for a song? 

From a humble Brit on the outside looking in on this fiasco... If you want to know why your program is mediocre despite having all sorts of money? This type of horrific mismanagement is the reason why. The number of reporters I've seen quoted here sabotaging the coaches with leaks, propaganda, and probably some lies is insane. It's worse than Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, or ManU. Hell it's worse than the Cowboys. And in a business where you have to recruit your talent instead of select it that's extremely problematic. 

Good god, it has fucking nothing to do with the media. Yes, $9.95ers make the job slightly more annoying, but Herman's job status is in question because he fucking sucks at coaching, not because of our crusty old donors and people like Geoff Ketchum. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, CenTex Hill Billy said:

Is this press conference tomorrow still happening?

No

Texas coach Tom Herman’s Monday presser has been scrapped since the program is now pausing football activities for COVID-19 reasons

1h
Texas will be testing everyone again on Tuesday. So we probably won’t have any status update on Saturday’s game at Kansas until after that. Players are tested three times a week, per Big 12 guidelines
Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

It want about money, it was about ego. Being the highest paid coach in all of football was alluring to him imo. Lining up his guys as well as the rabid excitement and expectations we have expressed is not. 

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not out of the question to start out 0-2 with Napier coming to town and then @ Arky, who now has a competent staff.  Road games @ TCU and @ Iowa State?  Lulz no way we win those.  Another L to OU.  At least 5-6 losses is a real possibility.

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

While that part of it is not CDC's fault maybe we should look at what is expected from CDC's job as athletic director.  As the AD one of his jobs (I would argue a big one) is to field a good football team which usually means you have to get a competent coach.  We can blame the previous regime all we want but that does not change the fact that CDC's job is to fix it.  At this point where is the fix since I think everyone has come to the conclusion that Herman is not a great coach.  If CDC decides to wait until next year or the year after while keeping Herman then what?  Is some magical coach going to appear or will we be picking through the same coaches we can pick through today.  If the buyout is the issue then what the University is telling me is that they are happy with a team that goes 8-4, loses to our rivals, and makes it to a crappy bowl game every year as long as we are making money.  Well they won't be getting any of my money for that type of product anymore and I am confident I am not the only one that feels that way.  

Have we not all been saying for well over a year now that outside of Urban Meyer there isn't a sure fire bet?  Is it suddenly a massive surprise to anyone that is Urban says no the people being asked to write 7 figure checks to buyout Herman aren't necessarily going to write that check for another crap shoot (and they all may have different opinions as to the candidate they would be willing to write a check for)?  This has been the risk day 1.   You know what I think CDC wanted this year? Particularly during a pandemic?  He wanted Herman to do his fucking job and win the god damn conference with a Senior QB when the competition is the weakest it has ever been.  Herman put CDC in this position by being a shitty fucking coach who has now lost all recruiting momentum.

Herman didn't do his job.  The ONLY fucking play here was to put the full court press on Urban.  Just because he said no (assuming that is the final answer) doesn't mean it wasn't the right play.

I agree the best outcome is for CDC to pick someone else and sell the $$$ on funding the buyout.  That isn't going to be an easy sell.  But if you think CDC has complete control over firing Tom without donors writing checks you are fooling yourself.  The athletic dept is operating at a massive loss due to the pandemic and a lot of people took pay cuts and lost jobs.  Tom isn't getting fired absent donor $$.

9 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So my birthday party chore ended having a midday meal at Chuy’s and a trip to an animal rescue to get a new dog added on. Nicole never texted so I figured it didn’t happen yet. Wasn’t expecting the leaking of a no getting out. Pretty bummed honestly. Of course in true 9.95er fashion everyone has left a window open for reversal. Shitty news all around. 

I will say at that kids bday party today the other token dad out of ten parents there was a prominent former HS football coach. Won a state title, contended for others. Has had kids recruited by all the top guys. He was very skeptical of Urban to UT when I asked what he thought. Without being prompted he cited the headaches of running the organization. He said it’s just a tough place for a guy that is all about football to coach. That’s why Mack did well. He liked the other stuff and did little actual coaching. Also mentioned the shitty indoor facilities. Guess we really do suck ass. 

• Fuck You 1

Thanks for the insight peasant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We r getting urban. I’m still drinking and until I hear the no from urban himself....no one can tell me otherwise. Especially these 9.95 fuckers. We have probably had his yes for a couple of days now. Hook ‘Em bitches. 

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic