Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, deech said:

It's important to always remember Chip Brown is a fraudulent cocksucker who intentionally publishes damaging stories in an attempt to harm the University.  I'll believe Chip is breaking the Urban Meyer story when Todd Orlando interviews for the SMU job

tl, dr; FCB

It simply cannot be Sark. We cannot stake huge money on a guy who is 1 drink away from falling apart.  I would hate a Franklin hire or  a Cristobal hire.  I could live with Campbell, Fickell or Napier.  Will we have the money for those names?  I hope so.  We cannot have two straight throw away recruiting classes.  

Edited by RabidM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

whenever y’all wanna grow up and act like adults I’ll be here waiting.  I had the correct sources and the correct information for weeks and y’all doubted me, called me names, and tried to run me off.  good thing I care about truth and honor more than your baseless and cruel attacks.

again, whenever y’all would like to apologize to me and thank me for being the most informed poster on surly, let me know.  I am not here to gloat about being the only poster on this whole goddamn website who had it right from the beginning.  don’t. ever. forget it. 

Take some fucking midol.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I understand what you are saying. Hope everyone impacted by the Covid is going be ok. I figured that Kansas game was never gonna be played. Especially since we now don’t need to play it for any reason. Same for Kansas. 

Is there ever a game that Kansas needs to play?

Edited by StruggleBus
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bmbmd said:

When you get a certain age, you realize that you have enough to last you for the rest of your life.  Then, you begin to think of your legacy.  Some of us keep plugging, trying to leave something of substance to our kids.  Others check out and retire to someplace that fits their eye.  UM is wealthy, to be sure.  This, though, is an opportunity to share his good fortune with his kids, and grandkids, and great grandkids. If he loves his progeny, I don't know how he walks away from this. 

I think you sell the ability to compete and prove you still have it to Urban.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, fatheryeet said:

theres no way that the covid thing is fake or a conspiracy. the team wouldn't go along with that. at best the admin is just using it to cancel Herman[s presser. 

No one I see is saying conspiracy if they are they are wrong. But using it as the cover to cancel all activities- included the presser - yeah that’s interesting. 

4 minutes ago, fatheryeet said:

theres no way that the covid thing is fake or a conspiracy. the team wouldn't go along with that. at best the admin is just using it to cancel Herman[s presser. 

Canceling the "presser" on Monday is a smart move... 😋

4 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Suzy Kolber is the same damn way...don't blame Broadway Joe one bit.

I met Suzy Kolber in a bar once.  She was in Dallas for a game and was with OJ of all people plus a bunch of their crew. 

Obviously this was a long time ago but she was very short but hot as hell. 

• Hook 'Em 1

By all means Urban could have given Texas the nod but now his guys that he wants are unsure on leaving their current positions. The ball is still in Urbans court, it’s just that the longer he waits for the answer, the less likely he fully commits. Him saying health concerns could be both Texas and Urban buying more time without the press uping the heat because like we all said there is no way his health problem keeps him off the field. 

(Chip Brown) Source: Texas' flirtation with Urban Meyer appears over

The possibility of three-time national championship coach Urban Meyer ending up at Texas has come to an end after Meyer indicated to Texas he's leaning toward not coaching again due to health reasons, a university source told Horns247. Horns247 reported Sunday if Texas couldn't land Meyer, there’s a chance Tom Herman will remain as coach of the Texas Longhorns. "There was an opportunity here too good not to pursue with Urban (Meyer)," the university source said. "If he's a definite no, we just need to step back and assess."

Paying a $25 million buyout to let go of a four-year coach who is 31-18 (.632) and replacing him with a three-time national championship coach like Meyer is one thing. Paying a $25 million buyout without a clear-cut alternative to Meyer is another thing, the source said. Donors would step up for Meyer. It’s unclear if donors would be willing to do the same for anyone else, sources said.

The wildcard in the equation would be if Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte could come up with a coach who would galvanize the support of donors and regents for such a steep buyout. Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, Oregon coach Mario Cristobal, Penn State coach James Franklin and Iowa State coach Matt Campbell are among the coaches Texas has researched, according to sources.

What about the lack of fan support for Herman? The university source said Herman isn’t a great personality fit and angered the administration and donors as much for not having his team standing together for The Eyes of Texas earlier this year as for his team’s sloppy play in a 1-2 Big 12 start.

It was after a 33-31 home loss to TCU followed by a four-overtime loss to Oklahoma that Texas donors began pushing hard for school officials to consider Meyer as Herman’s replacement. Meyer was contacted at that point and has been aware of interest from Texas since October, sources told Horns247. Despite rumblings that Texas would pay Meyer an annual salary in excess of $10 million as well as meet a list of demands from Meyer, UT officials say privately there was never a formal offer made.

Del Conte has told Herman he’ll be evaluated at the end of the season. Texas (6-3, 5-3 Big 12), which won at Kansas State 69-31 on Saturday, will be a big favorite at winless Kansas next week and then likely will head to either the Alamo, Liberty or Texas bowls. If Del Conte determines there’s a coach he thinks would energize regents and donors for a $25 million buyout, then Texas could have to wait until late December or even January to talk to that coach if his team is still playing - possibly February if it's an NFL coach.

Could Texas and its fanbase wait that long to learn if it will be Herman or someone else coaching the Longhorns in 2021? “I don’t like it for recruiting,” the university source said. “But Tom Herman is under contract for three more seasons. If there’s no clear replacement, I don’t see us paying the buyout to gamble on another coach.”

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Of course he would. But that any announcement is taking this long means it was probably rejected immediately or considered for a while, he drug his feet, CDC pressed, and he turned us down. 

I think our admin / way of doing things has irreparably poisoned Texas as a destination school. I think we are indefinitely in the wilderness. I think firing Herman ASAP is a must and hiring the best possible P5 or G5 guy available and hoping he’s the next Darrell Royal is about all we can do now. I would expect to have difficulties securing guys like Fickell or Allen or Harsin. I think our name is mud. 

That's a very negative take. We do have issues at the admin level and we are nowhere near the destination schools like Alabama, Clemson, tOSU, and Florida. However, money still means something and we have access to one of the most fertile recruiting pools in the nation. The path to winning the conference is not difficult either. Any up and coming coach with an ounce of ego would be hard pressed to turn us down.

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Now consider you're one of the folks footing the bill for a buy out.  Are you dropping the money for any of those?

Or you're CDC, and season tickets and TV views are really important. Do any of those give you a lot of confidence that you still have a job in 4 years?

Campbell is a damn good coach but not a 25 mill buyout coach. But also think of the ramifications of keeping Herman. WE ARE FUCKED

• Hook 'Em 1

Urban said he doesn’t want to coach again due to health reasons. Herman will be evaluated after the season. Boosters wanted Herman gone after he didn’t make his team stand for the eyes.

It would take a manor name to make them buy out Herman now. Urban isn’t coming

16 minutes ago, smash said:

You guys all opting out like our football captains.  You guys were pissed at them and then go do this shit.  This isn’t done yet.  Have hope for the another week.  Remember how important Urban’s staff is to him.   LFG

3467935-3025866090-f96ba.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic