Chemical Weapons Attack in Syria

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

We kind of already tried this. The economic sanctions and oil prices cratering in 2014 nearly collapsed their economy.

There are wrong approaches.  It's fluid.  Russia is run like a mafia state.  Go after the Russian individuals hell bent on a permanent control grip - go after their cash.  Cut it off as much as like-minded nations will enforce. Bring Russia back into the rule of law fold.  Don't know who in our gov exactly dialed up the latest round of sanctions, but looks like they will be felt.  Russian people can determine how to progress and be grateful for the hardship.  Support would be there.  

6 hours ago, formermav43 said:

maninblack has been consistently against all foreign intervention like this for years. His libertarianism is rooted in the non-aggression principle and it’s not negotiable.

That may be misguided in itself or his take on some things might veer too much into the conspiracy theorists camp for some. Fine. Debate that. But to act like he’s a Russian shill is pretty disingenuous given his pretty vocal history.

The guy thinks ISIS is backed by the United States.

I couldn't care less whether he's a shill or not, nor do any of his opinions carry any weight or meaning. Libertarians are just nihilistic anarchists and do not deserve the smallest amount of respect.
That said, most of the backlash against his kind is the fault of all the Trumpkins who actually are bizarrely batting for Assad, or at least were before Dear Leader decided to throw some bombs.

You're obviously a deep thinker

6 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Did anyone follow up with the question asking who informed them?

That seems like an obvious one

Earlier in the week a Russian newspaper reported that Trump would 

"At the same time, according to Kommersant's information, the Russian side expects to receive from the Pentagon the coordinates of the targets, on which the United States is going to strike (as it was on April 7, 2017 before the shelling of the Syrian air base Shayrat). This is necessary to exclude even the theoretical possibility of losses from the Russian side, since MO officers are present on dozens of Syrian infrastructure facilities."

Link

It’s not just Assad, it’s Putin too.  Putin is kinda like the Raptor testing the fences for weakness. He’s been doing it for years:

Little green men

Crimea invasions

election hacking/interference

active measures

propaganda

assassinations

chemical weapons attacks via proxies

attacking U.S. defended positions with mercenaries. 

And now Putin is going to the U.N. to complain about Western aggression in Syria.

Why does he do this shit? Because he’s operating from a postition of weakness.  His economy is certified dogshit and he wants to remind everyone Russia is still a significant player in the world that shouldn’t be treated as a second class superpower.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Haven't read the entire thread, just the last page. 

If it's true that our missile strikes were targeted and limited, and if it's true that we gave Russia fair warning to get their people out of harms way, then I have to say that I'm really surprised that the "Bolton cabal" and the Cheeto played this with much more restraint than I was expecting.  My expectations were for Bolton et. al. to use this as their Twin Towers to justify all out war to reshape the middle the east (Iraq part deux, electric boogaloo).

Hugo, your drum banging on Putin reminds me of Jan from the Brady Bunch every time I see your posts.  Putin, Putin, Putin!

2 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Haven't read the entire thread, just the last page. 

If it's true that our missile strikes were targeted and limited, and if it's true that we gave Russia fair warning to get their people out of harms way, then I have to say that I'm really surprised that the "Bolton cabal" and the Cheeto played this with much more restraint than I was expecting.  My expectations were for Bolton et. al. to use this as their Twin Towers to justify all out war to reshape the middle the east (Iraq part deux, electric boogaloo).

Hugo, your drum banging on Putin reminds me of Jan from the Brady Bunch every time I see your posts.  Putin, Putin, Putin!

The Bolton crew wanted more, but they lost the argument to Mattis and the Pentagon. Trump went with Mattis.

2 minutes ago, bernorange said:

My expectations were for Bolton et. al. to use this as their Twin Towers to justify all out war to reshape the middle the east (Iraq part deux, electric boogaloo).

Seriously? That was your expectation? Bolton hasn't been on the job a week. 

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s not just Assad, it’s Putin too.  Putin is kinda like the Raptor testing the fences for weakness. He’s been doing it for years:

Little green men

Crimea invasions

election hacking/interference

active measures

propaganda

assassinations

chemical weapons attacks via proxies

attacking U.S. defended positions with mercenaries. 

And now Putin is going to the U.N. to complain about Western aggression in Syria.

Why does he do this shit? Because he’s operating from a postition of weakness.  His economy is certified dogshit and he wants to remind everyone Russia is still a significant player in the world that shouldn’t be treated as a second class superpower.

He's KGB. It's all he knows. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

The guy thinks ISIS is backed by the United States.

I’m sure ISIS would love for us to escalate against Assad, but I wouldn’t say we back them. We do back Al Nusra though, and they are plenty bad. 

21 minutes ago, bernorange said:

And you’re being willfully ignorant if you’re neglecting to appreciate the Russia angle in all this.  I’m not banging any drums.  I’m making logical observations.

I’m not calling for military aggression against Russia.  IMO the best approach to Russia is containment with our western allies.  Keep Russia economically weak and isolated if they don’t want to integrate into the liberal democratic international order.  Suppress their subversive operations and work to prevent their expansion.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Seriously? That was your expectation? Bolton hasn't been on the job a week. 

If you think that a week is the span of time that Bolton and friends have been in the Cheeto's ear, I've got a nice bridge for sale you might like.

@Hugo Stiglitz - You've been banging Putin's drums (NTTAWTT) for well over a year.  Your "Putin observations" wouldn't register on the Jan Brady scale if not for your prolific post count on the drum.

21 minutes ago, bernorange said:

If you think that a week is the span of time that Bolton and friends have been in the Cheeto's ear, I've got a nice bridge for sale you might like.

@Hugo Stiglitz - You've been banging Putin's drums (NTTAWTT) for well over a year.  Your "Putin observations" wouldn't register on the Jan Brady scale if not for your prolific post count on the drum.

Look at the guy with the wildly inaccurate prediction try to tell me the way of the world. I'm pretty sure I can do okay without your help, Nostradamus. 

What’s your point, bernorange, and what’s your end goal?  We’re all friends here.  Go ahead and put it out there.  Myself, I don’t give a flying fuck about any of the Middle East countries.  They can drift drive and camel themselves to death.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

8 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

We have US troops in Syria. In Manjib. Turkey is advancing against our Kurdish Allies - the primary Isis killers in that region. This is a clusterfuck, just like Iraq and Libya. 

If Assad is eventually ousted, look for the U.S. to have to come in to restore order to the Syrian government...

53 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

For now. 

Give Trump time for a harsh response or two (Twitter) before he chooses to expand aggressively in the region... 

It scares you to death.  

One day our politicians will discuss these issues openly with the public using evidence, facts and learnings from the past.  And not use fear mongering or misinformation.  Thereby enabling the populace to arrive at a more unified position, making us a more confident and stronger nation.

hTdiW6.gif

10 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

I was hoping Trump would resurrect the Legislative Branch as a place where laws are debated and passed and the body that decides when war starts. 

What in the ever loving fuck led you to think this?

• Like 1