Chris Ash Defense

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Have to say, Chris Ash has done as good of a job as we could have expected with this defense. Big, big improvement since Texas Tech.

Just not enough to overcome our collapsing offense.

Hmmm....... Can't seem to get a stop when we need them.  It's the characteristic of a bad defense and bad team.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

What's wrong with what he said?

Defense was easily the best unit on the field today from my perspective

The point was about timely defense.  Can you get a stop when you really need one?  The counter suggestion was they were gassed in OT.  Because of the fallout and how we came back and the interruption of time, they trotted out in the first OT having played about 3 snaps in 25-30 minutes of real life.  I get it, it's a long day and a little hot but they had had a long break for the first two OTs and plenty of time to rest and hydrate.  They simply didn't make enough plays at that time.  If you want to give them kudos for the rest of the game then knock yourself out.  Situational football, that's all.  And yes, the rest of the team had bouts of utter shittiness as well particularly our OL and STs, no one is making the case for them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The point was about timely defense.  Can you get a stop when you really need one?  The counter suggestion was they were gassed in OT.  Because of the fallout and how we came back and the interruption of time, they trotted out in the first OT having played about 3 snaps in 25-30 minutes of real life.  I get it, it's a long day and a little hot but they had had a long break for the first two OTs and plenty of time to rest and hydrate.  They simply didn't make enough plays at that time.  If you want to give them kudos for the rest of the game then knock yourself out.  Situational football, that's all.  And yes, the rest of the team had bouts of utter shittiness as well particularly our OL and STs, no one is making the case for them.

I'd contend there was timely defense throughout much of the game. Offensive impotence insisted that they come up with a game changing plays throughout. 3 turnovers. 2 of which basically accounted for 10/17 of our pts in the first 56 mins of the game. And special teams repaid their efforts with 2 instances where OU started with the ball inside the 30.

And forget scoring a point here and there, the offense couldn't even manage to play complementary football to keep the defense the least bit fresh. Here's Texas' drives:

2 plays; 3 plays; 8 plays; 4 plays (thanks for the short field: FG, Texas!); 2 plays (thanks for the short field: TD, Texas!); 3 plays; 8 plays (Texas offense enters the chat; don't get your hopes up, it's short-lived); 6 plays; 3 plays; 3 plays; 3 plays; 5 plays; 10 plays (INT)

and then in desperation time, the script somewhat flips; at this time the defense is gassed after dragging 2 shitty ass units to the finish line for 55 minutes. Several big plays made throughout. I'm not saying they're perfect, but that's the only unit that played winning ball today, in my estimation

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I'd contend there was timely defense throughout much of the game. Offensive impotence insisted that they come up with a game changing plays throughout. 3 turnovers. 2 of which basically accounted for 10/17 of our pts in the first 56 mins of the game. And special teams repaid their efforts with 2 instances where OU started with the ball inside the 30.

And forget scoring a point here and there, the offense couldn't even manage to play complementary football to keep the defense the least bit fresh. Here's Texas' drives:

2 plays; 3 plays; 8 plays; 4 plays (thanks for the short field: FG, Texas!); 2 plays (thanks for the short field: TD, Texas!); 3 plays; 8 plays (Texas offense enters the chat; don't get your hopes up, it's short-lived); 6 plays; 3 plays; 3 plays; 3 plays; 5 plays; 10 plays (INT)

and then in desperation time, the script somewhat flips; at this time the defense is gassed after dragging 2 shitty ass units to the finish line for 55 minutes. Several big plays made throughout. I'm not saying they're perfect, but that's the only unit that played winning ball today, in my estimation

And that's fine.  Your opinion, but again, it's about situational defense and timely defense.  They had more than enough via the 4th/OT to get fresh and make the plays required to win the game.  They didn't.  I don't think any of the 3 major units played well at all or winning football.  If you think the defense was good enough, then cool, but again, not the conversation really.

tenor.gif?itemid=8878747

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

And that's fine.  Your opinion, but again, it's about situational defense and timely defense.  They had more than enough via the 4th/OT to get fresh and make the plays required to win the game.  They didn't.  I don't think any of the 3 major units played well at all or winning football.  If you think the defense was good enough, then cool, but again, not the conversation really.

tenor.gif?itemid=8878747

Is this a timely play: Down 10-0 late in 1st qtr. Offense testing limits of how high they are able to jump while still landing on their dicks and Overshown gets an INT and takes it to OU 11 yd line?

What about 3 plays later after the offense squandered the opportunity that the defense created when they get a strip sack and return it to the OU 19? 

These aren't timely?

The two 3 & outs that made the late 14 pts matter? Not timely?

And there was nobody left to "get fresh" at safety. Sterns out. Owens out. BJ hurt. Thompson hurt. Brown hurt. Given Thompson came in before Estell and he had an injury previously, I'd imagine he was a "break glass in case of emergency" option. I waste untold hours following recruiting and even I couldn't come up with who the next man up was at safety. Humans aren't cell phones. They don't just charge back up in 20 mins

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

Is this a timely play: Down 10-0 late in 1st qtr. Offense testing limits of how high they are able to jump while still landing on their dicks and Overshown gets an INT and takes it to OU 11 yd line?

What about 3 plays later after the offense squandered the opportunity that the defense created when they get a strip sack and return it to the OU 19? 

These aren't timely?

The two 3 & outs that made the late 14 pts matter? Not timely?

And there was nobody left to "get fresh" at safety. Sterns out. Owens out. BJ hurt. Thompson hurt. Brown hurt. Given Thompson came in before Estell and he had an injury previously, I'd imagine he was a "break glass in case of emergency" option. I waste untold hours following recruiting and even I couldn't come up with who the next man up was at safety. Humans aren't cell phones. They don't just charge back up in 20 mins

Pigs with lipstick are still pigs.

Defense had a couple of good plays. But the end results are all that matters. We are lucky OU didn't have their usual Heisman candidate playing.

• Like 1

Not saying we're good enough yet but 31 points in regulation against OU isn't terrible, especially considering a blocked punt, shanked punt, long punt return, fumble, and an offense that couldn't get field position or hold the ball. Plus 3 forced turnovers. OU scored 30 and 35 against ISU and KSU. Run D and OT performance obviously disappointing though.

Blame for this game falls more on offense and ST in my book

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Not saying we're good enough yet but 31 points in regulation against OU isn't terrible, especially considering a blocked punt, shanked punt, long punt return, fumble, and an offense that couldn't get field position or hold the ball. Plus 3 forced turnovers. OU scored 30 and 35 against ISU and KSU. Run D and OT performance obviously disappointing though.

Blame for this game falls more on offense and ST in my book

This is the worst OU offense in two decades. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

i talked to my woo going into the locker room 

players r not happy 

They should look in the mirror 1st. They fucking suck at playing football and apparently give two shits about the university giving them the opportunity to better their lives.

Edited by HtownHorn

9 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

If 400 yards per game and the worst points allowed per game in school history is “good enough” then we have a low bar. 

Its the Big 12. Yards are a pretty useless stats in today's game. The offense and ST has done a good job of giving offenses short fields. The 4 OT game helps skew the stats. We're 40th in total defense.

I'm saying the defense kept us in the TCU and OU games while the offense flat out went missing for large stretches of the game. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1