I pledge to post more pictures of this STEAK

Landomatic

It has been a few weeks since I've seen what I bought yesterday. It was the only one like it in the case... almost like it was meant to be.

Edited by SurlyBDR
Fresh cut meat case shut down, it was wrapped and hidden in the bulk case

There are a number of YouTube clips showing how to break down the ribeye cap ... separating it from the whole rib roast, removing the silver skin layer, then rolling and tying it into a filet facsimile that has marbling. 
Costco usually has this cut, at least in Fort Worth.

1 minute ago, Dr Fear said:
2 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:
There are a number of YouTube clips showing how to break down the ribeye cap ... separating it from the whole rib roast, removing the silver skin layer, then rolling and tying it into a filet facsimile that has marbling. 

Costco usually has this cut, at least in Fort Worth.

I tried the Costco cut once .. prepared by a lazy butcher because the silver skin hadn’t been removed.  Nice flavor but not the chew I expected or wanted.

3 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Wife made a birthday dinner for me. A recipe from the NY Times. Ribeye cooked in cast iron with salsa verde, mushrooms and asparagus b907fead3817db87b683eea22027dfa9.jpgddabf356d45b4e88c4f26935a383fcdc.jpgb752386d3d1e9e3d4cce96814a6082aa.jpgf6aaf0b531e4965ed1522526e6ac86de.jpg07367de66ed6a5164d51b62828155e63.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Happy birthday buddy.  Mine's tomorrow.  I think we both out-kicked our coverage in the wife department for sure.

• Like 1

Smoked/reverse seared a tomahawk for the first time yesterday.
Best steak I’ve ever made
(Forgot to get better picks of the money shot)

But I’m only ever buying 2-3” thick steaks and starting them on the smoker for an hour from now on.

cc26144e637dfa19d4027662271272fc.jpg

95f13e94f4595254cea135533bc1424e.jpg

Another convert. The oven works well too before searing.

Didn’t realize I was out of lump for the BGE,
So I improvised and did these on the Blackstone along with some onions and shrooms, finished with a brown butter and garlic sauce and a Caesar. Overcooked probably 3 minutes but tasted pretty damn good.
Shells and cheese to appease the boy.
6299989ea0ef66b56487158533a57122.jpg

2022d3adf31612320f01cd2f171bda58.jpg
19fe6b52de3d86b70ebb2895fff6d8a7.jpg

• Like 1

My mom and i don't know how to cook for shit, but my buddy Sean (soldier from the Mack Brown thread on TOS) is ana amazing cook, and he came by the other day and gave us some really simple instructions for making a ribeye using a cast iron skillet and the oven, and honestly i think we nailed it. You guys can tell me what looks right/wrong about it, all i know is that it slammed. We were pretty pumped with how it. and out on the first try, and hopefully it only gets better from here.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

What the fuck are you cutting the steak on?  It looks like you turned over a small plate and put in on a large plate.  I has a confuse.

we did. those were part of the instructions for some reason. said to set the steak up like that and then loosely cover it in aluminum for a few minutes after pulling out of the oven. i think it had something to do with the juices flowing down or something? honestly not sure,  it that was apparently part of the whole thing. 

My mom and i don't know how to cook for shit, but my buddy Sean (soldier from the Mack Brown thread on TOS) is ana amazing cook, and he came by the other day and gave us some really simple instructions for making a ribeye using a cast iron skillet and the oven, and honestly i think we nailed it. You guys can tell me what looks right/wrong about it, all i know is that it slammed. We were pretty pumped with how it. and out on the first try, and hopefully it only gets better from here.

Nice work. You’ll have better results slicing it on a cutting board with a chefs knife or slicing knife.

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That’s pretty damn rare.

😆 No doubt!

I let it sit out for two or three hours before I throw it in the skillet.

I'm a fan of Alton Brown's method, but change the timing a little bit.  I go for 45 seconds each side on the stove top, before putting it in the oven for two minutes a side.

It seems to give it a little more char which I enjoy.

1 hour ago, Somnio said:

I'm a fan of Alton Brown's method, but change the timing a little bit.

Just be sure to film it while you saw into it with a dull knife while it’s resting on the small plate upside-down on the bigger plate while calling your mom baby and cussing at her.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Just be sure to film it while you saw into it with a dull knife while it’s resting on the small plate upside-down on the bigger plate while calling your mom baby and cussing at her.

Look, I’ll give Derka props for making his mama a steak. But that was damn funny.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

No can do, but......

Moments before entering the 500° cast iron skillet.

Seasoned Ribeye

And moments before it was in my belly (No, that's not the whole steak.  I shared with my daughter).

Ribeye Plated

• Like 2