Dave Aranda Is Baylor's New Head Coach

Vic Mackey

On 1/23/2020 at 11:49 AM, Teryor said:

So Munoz was the guy that LSU people claimed had a big part to do with Brady's success once Brady left, and that he worked a lot with Burrow etc they expected him to slot in to Brady's role. 

The absolute dandelion scattering of everyone associated with last year’s LSU team seems to me to be an indictment of Orgeron. My prediction is an immediate step backwards followed by a slow decline until he is fired. Everyone credits the assistant coaches with the success from last year and going into the season the rumor was that it was a shit show internally within the program. I understand coaches striking while the iron is hot, but it seems like they are rushing to take literally anything else. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The absolute dandelion scattering of everyone associated with last year’s LSU team seems to me to be an indictment of Orgeron. My prediction is an immediate step backwards followed by a slow decline until he is fired. Everyone credits the assistant coaches with the success from last year and going into the season the rumor was that it was a shit show internally within the program. I understand coaches striking while the iron is hot, but it seems like they are rushing to take literally anything else. 

Seems reasonable, especially when you might have been OC at LSU but opted for WR coach at Baylor.

Then again, I thought LSU was a 3 or 4 loss team in 2019 so what do I know.

20 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I thought they were going into the tank when they first hired him. It was a laughable hire but I'm not doubling down after what they just did. Fool me once... 

The one thing about Orgeron, is that sumbitch can recruit. As long as the talent keeps flowing and they didn't lose their strength coach, who is a witch, they are going to be competitive. They definitely caught lightning in a bottle this year and there is no way to have that much turnover and not feel it, but I'm not putting any dirt on their grave quite yet. Even moderately competent coaching will keep them competitive for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Or maybe these analyst and bottom level assistants are just striking while the iron is hot and getting themselves promotions and fat raises at the same time.

21 hours ago, Vertigo said:

55 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I thought they were going into the tank when they first hired him. It was a laughable hire but I'm not doubling down after what they just did. Fool me once... 

The one thing about Orgeron, is that sumbitch can recruit. As long as the talent keeps flowing and they didn't lose their strength coach, who is a witch, they are going to be competitive. They definitely caught lightning in a bottle this year and there is no way to have that much turnover and not feel it, but I'm not putting any dirt on their grave quite yet. Even moderately competent coaching will keep them competitive for the foreseeable future. 

It's hard to keep up with the shit I'm wrong on, both on the boards and just generally bullshitting with friends about CFB, but one thing I have straight is the unreal misses I've had at judging coaching hires. Of course, on that, I have a shit ton of company. 

Pete Carroll - We mocked Mike Garrett and gloated about the futility of USC when they hired Carroll ahead of the 2000 season. 

Dennis Franchione at ATM - I thought he'd do well there after seeing him infuse some life in Alabama.

Saban to LSU - Everyone scratched their heads when this guy finally did something at Michigan State and then immediately bolted south to Baton Rouge. Figured it was just another wheel-spinning fuck-up in a long string of fuck-ups at LSU with football coaching hires. 

Will Muschamp at Florida - Our guy leaves and Mack stays, and we were going to have to watch him win titles at someone else's school. Right. 

Jim Tressel - "What in the hell is Ohio State thinking?"

Jim Harbaugh - He will do nothing but win titles at Michigan. A perfect fit. 

David Shaw - "Is there a better steward for what Harbaugh started than David Shaw?" - this one is started to trend really negative too.

Herm Edwards - Hahahahahaha. Welp, dude is recruiting well and might be competing for a Pac 12 title as soon as this upcoming season. 

Dabo Swinney - I mean, the entire fucking country laughed hard at this one. We all felt validated for like the first 3-4 years, too.

Willie Taggart - This guy is going to kick ass at FSU.

Gary Andersen - "Boy, Wisconsin made a hell of hire."

I could go on. I'm sure all of these guys weren't missed by everyone, but most folks missed on a great many of them. So Ed Oregeron? Yeah, we were all wrong. He was a disaster at Ole Miss. He's won a national title at LSU. That can't be taken away, even if he never does another thing. I'm guessing he'll figure out how to get back to the playoffs before he figures out how to get himself fired. Would love to be wrong. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's hard to keep up with the shit I'm wrong on, both on the boards and just generally bullshitting with friends about CFB, but one thing I have straight is the unreal misses I've had at judging coaching hires. Of course, on that, I have a shit ton of company. 

Pete Carroll - We mocked Mike Garrett and gloated about the futility of USC when they hired Carroll ahead of the 2000 season. 

Dennis Franchione at ATM - I thought he'd do well there after seeing him infuse some life in Alabama.

Saban to LSU - Everyone scratched their heads when this guy finally did something at Michigan State and then immediately bolted south to Baton Rouge. Figured it was just another wheel-spinning fuck-up in a long string of fuck-ups at LSU with football coaching hires. 

Will Muschamp at Florida - Our guy leaves and Mack stays, and we were going to have to watch him win titles at someone else's school. Right. 

David Shaw - "Is there a better steward for what Harbaugh started than David Shaw?" - this one is started to trend really negative too.

Herm Edwards - Hahahahahaha. Welp, dude is recruiting well and might be competing for a Pac 12 title as soon as this upcoming season. 

Dabo Swinney - I mean, the entire fucking country laughed hard at this one. We all felt validated for like the first 3-4 years, too.

I could go on. I'm sure all of these guys weren't missed by everyone, but most folks missed on a great many of them. So Ed Oregeron? Yeah, we were all wrong. He was a disaster at Ole Miss. He's won a national title at LSU. That can't be taken away, even if he never does another thing. I'm guessing he'll figure out how to get back to the playoffs before he figures out how to get himself fired. Would love to be wrong. 

With the mass exodus at LSU, I guess we’ll get a pretty definitive answer as to how much 2019 was a crazy convergence of fortunate factors versus Coach O being a damn good HC. Does he keep winning at a high level for fall back to a bunch of 3ish loss seasons based solely on talent advantage? 

I was dead wrong on him before this year, so I really have no clue at this point. 

Would you go as far as saying their problems are systematic?

21 minutes ago, Nuge said:

I Disagree vehemently

2 X X 1 X X X X

X X X X X

14 minutes ago, satyanash said:

...vociferously? Vehemently?

10 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Vicariously? Voluminously? Vagrantly? Verminously?

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Or in his case, Vagïnously, amirite!?!

Surly grammar discussions are a flat circle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The successful ones have a more sophisticated cheating process.

On 1/25/2020 at 4:49 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Can someone please identify specifically all these systemic issues that UT apparently has? I’m legitimately curious. 

If anyone would know "systemic issues," it's Baylor fans.

Also, as a general rule, are you really even allowed to talk shit about school you've never beaten more than twice in a row in almost a hundred fucking tries? A school that beat you sixteen straight times at one point? When that same school went 2-1 against you during that programs darkest hour?

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

This son of a bitch is doing a good job of putting together a staff.  Why aren’t we cheating again?  It’s clear to me that playing by the rules doesn’t get you anywhere.  Baylor hasn’t suffered any repercussions for the shit they pulled.

Chill dude. Wickline is washed. 

Did the NCAA ever come back to Baylor? Last I heard was tape fingers went to Indianapolis to talk to some folks there about him accidentally running into recruits outside of the allowed time and that was obviously years ago now. At least I think it was something like that. Anyway, I  know they move slow as molasses but it's been what, 3 years? 

12 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

This son of a bitch is doing a good job of putting together a staff.  Why aren’t we cheating again?  It’s clear to me that playing by the rules doesn’t get you anywhere.  Baylor hasn’t suffered any repercussions for the shit they pulled.

Lol seriously? Because he hired fucking Wickline?

At this point our staff is better than his - just at coordinator Yurcich is better than Fedora and Ash certainly has more skins on the wall than the ULaLa toupee guy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Did the NCAA ever come back to Baylor? Last I heard was tape fingers went to Indianapolis to talk to some folks there about him accidentally running into recruits outside of the allowed time and that was obviously years ago now. At least I think it was something like that. Anyway, I  know they move slow as molasses but it's been what, 3 years? 

The big12 could've done something, but of course, they just continue to let woman beaters at chokelahoma and Ft. Worth, and rape cover ups in Waco be the norm.

Edited by Zavala

27 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

That zero head coach experience has really hurt Lincoln Riley and Kirby Smart

27 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

So stupid you had to post it twice? There’s a much longer list of guys who struggled in their first coaching stint. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Way to pick two guys who got handed the keys to Mercedes F1 cars. They had hyper-talented rosters that had been lightly mismanaged for a couple of years. Baylor, with their senior losses and brutal recruiting class, is not that. Aranda has to build something.

Edited by texifornia

37 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So stupid you had to post it twice? There’s a much longer list of guys who struggled in their first coaching stint. 

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Way to pick two guys who got handed the keys to Mercedes F1 cars. They had hyper-talented rosters that had been lightly mismanaged for a couple of years. Baylor, with their senior losses and brutal recruiting class, is not that. Aranda has to build something.

Never argue with an idiot. They’ll just bring you down to their level, and they’ll enjoy it. Sort of like pig wrestling. You get covered in shit and filth, and the pig has a blast. The next coherent, relevant post from that assclown will be the first. 

5 hours ago, Zavala said:

The big12 could've done something, but of course, they just continue to let woman beaters at chokelahoma and Ft. Worth, and rape cover ups in Waco be the norm.

Well, they have taken 25% of the tv revenue for 4 years now.  That's somewhere in the $30-40mm range.  

53 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well this dude did nail like 1/2 of this thread.

This might be an issue for the rape fans, however: https://247sports.com/college/baylor/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

EPYLMJ3WoAAqC8I?format=png&name=900x900

Yeah, there’s not much there. Sylvester is a 4 star that had a lot of red flag smoke around him and almost every other in-State program passed on. Barron was a nice get for them and he would’ve been a nice CB2 option for us. 3 of their 4 commits that didn’t sign on NSD1 are OOS guys who committed to the prior staff, so those seem shaky at best. 

People talk a lot about what Rhule did without a lot of talent and he absolutely did well, but a lot of the guys he had the most success with were still the higher rated guys that he got or were left on the roster, Bravvion Roy, Denzel Mims (three star but a lot of people thought he was underrated and a great get at the time), Lockhart (4 star transfer),  Jamycal Hasty, Blake Lynch, Grayson Arnold, etc. 

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Well this dude did nail like 1/2 of this thread.

This might be an issue for the rape fans, however: https://247sports.com/college/baylor/Season/2020-Football/Commits/

EPYLMJ3WoAAqC8I?format=png&name=900x900

We will see how Baylor's strategy of bringing in seasoned SEC "strategists" pays off for them. Baylor is a Big 12 version of Ole Miss. A school that is not in the "too big to fail" category and who got away with sanctioned rape. If any school has a target on their back when they start getting out of line, it's Baylor. 

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently the school confessed their sins to the HC candidates or at least what they felt was necessary for those guys to make an educated decision on if they would even want the coming shitshow. 

https://www.si.com/college/2020/02/07/baylor-football-art-briles-ncaa-investigation

[NCAA] You tell Baylor I'm coming and Hell is coming with me.[/NCAA]

The staff they've cobbled together is just such an odd mix of guys. It's almost like they found some recognizable "name" coaches to hold the wheel, for a paycheck, while the car runs off the cliff. If the coming NCAA sanctions really are severe, anyone can later claim there was no way to be successful under those circumstances and *poof* they can all go onto their next gig without really screwing up any reputation they might have risked. 

It sounded good in my head.

Aranda's gonna suck.