Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I hope somebody is keeping a tally of all of the politicians and bureaucrats that keep fucking up big time.    This thing is exposing the flaws in our healthcare system, but it’s also exposing a lot of people who got into positions of power that were maybe a rung or two too high up on the ladder for them.  

20 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Skip to about 6:30 minutes and watch.  She's not saying anything particularly noteworthy, but she is barely holding it together.

This woman is a professional, and has seen some shit.  It makes me wonder what information she is privy to that would cause her to almost tear up at a press conference.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I don't think she would have had a moment like this for "just a bad strain of the flu" when she's been knee deep in Ebola and SARS outbreaks.

Her credentials:

https://www.spph.ubc.ca/person/bonnie-henry/

It’s not that bad. Jesus.  Unless my colleagues are holding out on me.  

Meaning:  it’s bad but she’s crying as if we are all gonna die.  

/drunk-don’t listen to me

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Please be right.  I’ve been cautiously optimistic that it is not too bad, while doing quite a bit more hand washing than before.  But I have a compromised immune system from taking an immuno-suppressive biologic (Remicade) that I hope doesn’t put me at a higher risk.  But honestly as a parent all I really care about is my kids.

• Like 3

Just now, Sbbruin said:

Please be right.  I’ve been cautiously optimistic that it is not too bad, while doing quite a bit more hand washing than before.  But I have a compromised immune system from taking an immuno-suppressive biologic (Remicade) that I hope doesn’t put me at a higher risk.  But honestly as a parent all I really care about is my kids.

I’m not very nervous about my kids, as I have yet to see anything about it killing or harming little kids.  

My concern is them having to attend the funerals of grandparents and other elderly relatives in a fairly quick order.  I’m not ready to bury my parents or in-laws.  Would like a few more years with them at least.  

Actually, I do have one concern - if one of our kids gets sick and needs hospitalization and the beds just aren’t there.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You’re at higher risk.  Not gonna lie.  But you shouldn’t freak out.  Be smart.  Don’t be scared.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I'm definitely worried about the reaction to a quarantine in Houston. I'm not sure how it could even be enforced though. This isn't China.

They’d have to quarantine Fort Bend County,   And Montgomery.  And a bunch of other counties.   

Speaking of that kind of stuff, Alex Jones still hasn’t gone full-tilt 24/7 coverage, even though this is pretty much the best chance he’s got to make up revenue for all of the lost lawsuits and the divorce.   It pretty much ticks all of the boxes, and  has lots of government intrigue.  And he should be maximizing  preppier sales.  

Hell, if he went all out, he might even be able to buy his Westlake house back.  

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Meaning:  it’s bad but she’s crying as if we are all gonna die.  

/drunk-don’t listen to me

Tin foil hat question:

If the governments of the world knew this was going to turn out very, very badly would they inform the public?

Normalcy bias Somnio:

You're right, she's probably dealing with some other personal issues.  This is going to suck, but nothing will really change.  In a year from now at most we'll all be looking back at this epedemic and laugh at how it was blown out of proportion.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

If any city is gonna go full on Thunderdome at the drop of a hat, it’s Houston.

If that happens I'm calling the A-Team to come blow up the two bridges (59 + 99) next to me and hunkering down on this side of the river. I've got 50 chickens laying about 3 dozen eggs every day, vegetables growing in the garden and about 30,000 rounds of ammo in the barn. We're going to be OK. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Tin foil hat question:

If the governments of the world knew this was going to turn out very, very badly would they inform the public?

Normalcy bias Somnio:

You're right, she's probably dealing with some other personal issues.  This is going to suck, but nothing will really change.  In a year from now at most we'll all be looking back at this epedemic and laugh at how it was blown out of proportion.

In our lives something REALLY bad will hit.  Like a plague we can’t contain.  Bacteria and viruses evolve just like humans.  But this isn’t that one.  

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

In our lives something REALLY bad will hit.  Like a plague we can’t contain.  Bacteria and viruses evolve just like humans.  But this isn’t that one.  

Quit posting and enjoy the scenery at the Encore Beach Club.

On second thought, just post pics of the talent at the Encore Beach Club.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Tin foil hat question:

Normalcy bias Somnio:

No, the government wouldn’t tell you unless they absolutely had to. But as ChiTown says I don’t think this is it. But, I do think it’s past the containment phase. If you could give Fauci truth serum I think he’d admit that. In fact I’ll expect the messaging to start moving that way. Addressing the response, reassuring the public in non simpleton ways (BuT tHE FlU). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Quit posting and enjoy the scenery at the Encore Beach Club.

On second thought, just post pics of the talent at the Encore Beach Club.

Oh we are in the dead zone.   Between pool and night.  But I can likely get more pics.  

The talent is wondering who I’m texting.  If only they knew.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bertelsen's 70 yard TD said:

I disagree.  If it was going to do that, we would have had problems during Rita, when 2/3 of town cleared out, or Ike, when most of the city was without lights for over a week. 

Eh but once a storm is done it's done and you clean-up.  How about a city where everybody knows what it's like to have a 90+% chance of winning and a <10% of chance of losing an event and yet it always ends up chok....losing.

1 hour ago, Somnio said:

Skip to about 6:30 minutes and watch.  She's not saying anything particularly noteworthy, but she is barely holding it together.

This woman is a professional, and has seen some shit.  It makes me wonder what information she is privy to that would cause her to almost tear up at a press conference.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I don't think she would have had a moment like this for "just a bad strain of the flu" when she's been knee deep in Ebola and SARS outbreaks.

Her credentials:

https://www.spph.ubc.ca/person/bonnie-henry/

Counterpoint:  Chicks cry a lot.

(Slight misogyny + science)

If that happens I'm calling the A-Team to come blow up the two bridges (59 + 99) next to me and hunkering down on this side of the river. I've got 50 chickens laying about 3 dozen eggs every day, vegetables growing in the garden and about 30,000 rounds of ammo in the barn. We're going to be OK. 
Damn. Got room for my family?

22 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Thread - 

so, a case does not necessarily entail a diagnosis, as suggested earlier in this thread.  or, we have a common misunderstanding on what a case is.  this seems essential to maths.  is there some nomenclature for "diagnosed cases"?

Edited by Hmmm

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Wegmans today was sold out of toilet paper, lotion, rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizers and almost all water (wtf?). 

People are losing their goddamn minds.

Look at this nonsense. 

5-B9441-B3-990-A-44-C9-874-B-CA0-F1-C903

That’s a Costco or similar shelf. That is not what Wegmans looks like. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Our government is completely lying to us right now. Wouldnt be shocked if the confirmed cases right now were in the tens of thousands

A couple of weeks ago people were pretty accepting of the "add a zero to the number of cases" train of thought.

I know I'm an alarmist, but at this point in the game I personally wouldn't be surprised if it was like 3 zeros.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away