Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

We bought a 1000 gallon cistern for water, but we had already planned to at some point and our context is probably somewhat unique.  We are on a private well that requires electricity.  We are on grid, but it’s not nearly as stable as in someplace like Austin.  We are at 11,000 feet and get 20+ feet a snow a year and have major storms through Memorial Day.   We often lose power due to weather and often for extended periods in the best of times.  If there is a workforce hit to people keeping roads open or able to service the grid up here, we might not be able to pump our well for a time.

If I was in a city that had good and redundant infrastructure, I wouldn’t have worried about water from this.

10 minutes ago, Seger78 said:

This question comes up every few pages.

General consensus is that people are accustomed to buying water for other freakouts, so it's force of habit.

Or, that water is so cheap they can't afford not to but it.

Bottled water by the gallon is more expensive than gasoline.  I have never understood the need to buy bottled water.  If you don't like the taste, buy a filter, add ice or lemon. 

Edited by 2300 Nueces

14 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

New to apocalypses here so have newbie question.  Why the rush to go buy water?  Are people thinking shit will get so bad that tap water will be affected? 

Just random fools. Same with TP. I guess people think that if they are quarantined that they won't be able to get stuff.

6 minutes ago, Goredho said:

We bought a 1000 gallon cistern for water, but we had already planned to at some point and our context is probably somewhat unique.  We are on a private well that requires electricity.  We are on grid, but it’s not nearly as stable as in someplace like Austin.  We are at 11,000 feet and get 20+ feet a snow a year and have major storms through Memorial Day.   We often lose power due to weather and often for extended periods in the best of times.  If there is a workforce hit to people keeping roads open or able to service the grid up here, we might not be able to pump our well for a time.

If I was in a city that had good and redundant infrastructure, I wouldn’t have worried about water from this.

I love well water.

11 minutes ago, Goredho said:

You have rain catching to fill it up naturally?

Supposedly. this is what Italy will be doing in the quarantine areas.

Under the decree, police and armed forces will patrol Lombardy’s access points, such as train stations and motorway entrances and exits, as well as border areas of the 14 provinces under lockdown across Emilia-Romagna, the second-worst outbreak zone, Veneto and Piedmont. The provinces include Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini, Pesaro and Urbino, Alessandria, Asti, Novara, Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Vercelli, Padua, Treviso and Venice.

People will only be able to leave the areas for emergency reasons and face fines and up to three months in jail for breaking the quarantine rules.

An elderly couple from Codogno, a town in Lombardy, where the outbreak first emerged, could face penalties after leaving the town to go on holiday in Trentino Alto Adige. The couple subsequently fell ill and tested positive for the virus after going to the emergency unit of a hospital in Trento.

Schools and universities were already closed across Italy, while cinemas, museums, theatres, gyms, swimming pools and ski resorts will now be closed in the new quarantine zones and all public events, including sporting events, banned.

Bars and restaurants can only open between 6am and 6pm, while shops must guarantee that customers stand at least one metre apart. Weddings and funerals have also been banned in the areas affected. It is unclear how the measures will affect commercial trade in the regions. Public transport services within all territories under lockdown are expected to continue.

I do'nt think Italians will comply. People work until 5PM, they aren't shutting down restaurants at 6PM. Most don't even open until later than that. The border enforcement wasn't effective to start with, they lack the manpower. How do you have mass with 1m between every parishioner? Not gonna happen.

The water makes no sense.  If I was that concerned about that particular aspect (I’m not) I would buy a bunch of empty bottles and fill them up from the tap right now while the water is safe. 

Ok so where are you going to buy empty bottles and is it more convenient than spending 20 bucks for 100 already filled bottles of water?

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ok so where are you going to buy empty bottles and is it more convenient than spending money 20 for 100 already filled bottles of water?

I could probably store 100 gallons with miscellaneous containers I have laying around the garage. 

27 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The water makes no sense.  If I was that concerned about that particular aspect (I’m not) I would buy a bunch of empty bottles and fill them up from the tap right now while the water is safe. 

Well hurricane season is right around the corner...  I only picked some up because it was on sale.

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You have rain catching to fill it up naturally?

That is technically a no-no here in Colorado where we’ve made a lot of deals with other states downstream from us for water rights.

This is just connected to our well line and serves as a buffer between pumping at the well and usage in the house.  We have some livestock we need to keep watered too though, so we’ve discussed another cistern w/snow & rain collection set away from the property lines for them.  We won’t be able to put something like that in until May or June, though.

Edited by Goredho

I’m not telling anyone how to think in that post. I am mocking the ongoing hysteria that we’re about to see hundreds of millions of people go down. When you’re the last guy alive on this thread in 3 months, you can come tell me how wrong I was. 
Beyond that, what you quoted, did nothing that you’re claiming. I asked a very simple question: what’s the denominator? That’s it. What’s the audience by which the poster was freely throwing out percentages. If you don’t think that matters when it comes to actually having a productive dialogue, well, I guess that’s where we part ways. The intellectual discussion starts to fork right around “deeeerrpppp, Thut the fuckz up, bitch!!”. 

You exist in this thread just to be a mega cunt to everyone without offering any original thoughts of your own. I don’t know if that’s how you are in real life or just your tough guy internet persona but your presence makes this thread worse. You don’t impress anyone by constantly shitting on other posters. Find something constructive to say or do us all a favor and find something else to do with your free time.
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Goredho said:

That is technically a no-no here in Colorado where we’ve made a lot of deals with other states downstream from us for water rights.

This is just connected to our well line and serves as a buffer between pumping at the well and usage in the house.  We have some livestock we need to keep watered too though, so we’ve discussed another cistern w/snow & rain collection set away from the property lines for them.  We won’t be able to put something like that in until May or June, though.

I mean how else is the Colorado river supposed to have water. 

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Antifreeze water?

Coolers, storage bins, etc.  the bathtub in the guest bath would hold a decent amount.  In reality I would probably just go buy some water, but in a world of water hoarders, I don’t lack options.

30 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Bottled water by the gallon is more expensive than gasoline.  I have never understood the need to buy bottled water.  If you don't like the taste, buy a filter, add ice or lemon. 

Unless you actually buy it by the gallon. Gallon bottles of spring water are something like 70 cents at HEB, when they're open.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

I mean how else is the Colorado river supposed to have water. 

Yep, exactly.  Ideally we would drill another well for the ag concerns, which we are zoned and permitted for.  That is just a big cost we don’t want to take on right now.  It would totally blow our pandemic TP budget.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

New to apocalypses here so have newbie question.  Why the rush to go buy water?  Are people thinking shit will get so bad that tap water will be affected? 
At some point in the past 10-20 years a whole swath of people decided that tap water out of your faucet will kill you. So they drink tap water out of bottles instead.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, wild_turkey said:

You exist in this thread just to be a mega cunt to everyone without offering any original thoughts of your own. I don’t know if that’s how you are in real life or just your tough guy internet persona but your presence makes this thread worse. You don’t impress anyone by constantly shitting on other posters. Find something constructive to say or do us all a favor and find something else to do with your free time.

I’ve offered thoughts and questions math, Houston, Austin, etc. I’m not a wet blanket and think that some of the shit that’s magnetizing some of you guys to this is comical or worthy of balance. Admonishing me to be nicer, post more like you, or leave is not going to have the intended effect. There are plenty of us reading this thread who have independent thoughts, so get over the selfishness, common in everything I’ve ever read from you, and deal with differing positions. 

Between you and Brad whining, the original question I asked of Greenspoint still hasn’t been answered and it is entirely germane to the discussion. Guys that come on here referencing percentages without citing the reference or origin to the actual math creating the percentages are either p-hacking the topic to make a show of their view or hijacking the topic using bad math. It appears the irony is lost on both of you guys that that is explicitly and obviously what I tried to get clarity on while you each climbed over yourselves to defend the guy by telling me to get out of the way of whatever the facts are that you’d like to see, that also aren’t prevented by any single poster also posting. 

• Like 1

People are hoarding water because they’re applying an old paradigm out of context.  In other highly visible emergencies such as hurricanes and earthquakes, water was a concern.  They apply lessons learned from those situations here, without thinking through the purpose of stocking up in this situation.  Hint: it’s not because utilities will turn off or supplies will run low.  

That said, the reports of water and TP panic appear to be overstated.  I’ve been to two different HEBs in the last few days and there’s plenty of both.  Hand sanitizer is a different story.

Unless you actually buy it by the gallon. Gallon bottles of spring water are something like 70 cents at HEB, when they're open.

Exactly. It’s so cheap that people throwing a tiff over people having some for back up is funny. We have maybe a weeks worth of water on reserve in the basement . If not Coronavirus it’ll be used otherwise(this summer, flood etc). It costed probably 40 bucks.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

20 feet of snow a season tells me there’s plenty of water for the river and some storage. Where do you think his well water comes from?

I’m being facetious because this hits home. My family has a spring on our land and we also do rain catchment. TCEQ is constantly in our business because someone down river didn’t get enough water. 

• Like 1

People are hoarding water because they’re applying an old paradigm out of context.  In other highly visible emergencies such as hurricanes and earthquakes, water was a concern.  They apply lessons learned from those situations here, without thinking through the purpose of stocking up in this situation.  Hint: it’s not because utilities will turn off or supplies will run low.  
That said, the reports of water and TP panic appear to be overstated.  I’ve been to two different HEBs in the last few days and there’s plenty of both.  Hand sanitizer is a different story.

Yea same. One Costco in the northwest doesn’t speak for every store in America in terms of inventory for these items.

Again... Florida or Texas being under a hurricane warning later this summer, better to have this water now compared to fighting the masses later on. But you do you.

Just now, Beau Vine said:

I have discovered that my chances not touching my face are about as high as the chances of a teenage boy not touching his penis.

everything starts itching and twitching the moment i start the exercise.

i made it 2 hours before i realized i was leaning my chin on my palm reading a CTJ rant.

the two places i have been most dreading hearing an outbreak...city slums in India and the Syrian refugee camps. 

millions, super crowded,  close quarters, lack of hygiene, probably poor health/nutrition already, limited medical care... im afraid that will look worse than Wuhan, all those poor people!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I have discovered that my chances of not touching my face are about as high as the chances of a teenage boy not touching his penis.

For some people wearing gloves works. They end up avoiding touching their face with the gloves and using a forearm or something else instead.

4 minutes ago, mchookem said:

the two places i have been most dreading hearing an outbreak...city slums in India and the Syrian refugee camps. 

millions, super crowded,  close quarters, lack of hygiene, probably poor health/nutrition already, limited medical care... im afraid that will look worse than Wuhan, all those poor people!

Add the slums of Brazil to that list.  It would mow people down.

Worth repeating: epidemiological math using R naught and time to double shows that cutting social contact by 70-80% stalls the curve for new infections, as is clearly happening in China.  70-80% reduction does not mean locked into homes and surviving from a bunker of supplies.  Limiting going out and being around groups of people should start now.  You can still do most everything else per usual with heightened awareness around hands and coughing/sneezing distances.  Go to the store during off hours.  The big X factor is kids and school.  They pass it around at school and bring it right into the house.  Japan cancelled school until April.  I won't be surprised if we're there in less than two weeks.

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away