Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

In a reddit thread about why other counties are getting their test results back much quicker than Travis County, one of you must have posted this (maybe @Armybrat )

“For each test, they have to do an environmental impact statement, get a code compliance officer to check it, decide how it works with CodeNEXT, check it for cultural sensitivity, and hire consultants to do a study. They're also looking for free-range, cruelty-free, fair-trade, organic, gluten-free testing materials.

They're also not allowed to use single-use plastic items in the process, so they have to use 1950's style reusable needles and glass syringes, which take a long time to sterilize between patients.

Then to top it off, for some reason Capital Metro is running the process and it's REALLY screwed up.

Don't worry, they're using the same lab that handles rape kits, so the process will be fixed any day now.”

Not me, but I would add that the test kits have to be delivered in recycled packaging via alternative-powered vehicles....... and no furry critters were harmed in the research development.

Like i said, it doesnt matter at this point who has it or doesnt have it or lives in the same area or whatever

with how small the world is now, this disease is an epidemiologists nightmare. 

we arent shutting down march madness, cancelling all airline flights anywhere, and putting up road blocks... so testing, like i said, is useless at this point

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m about to hit costco for some perishable items, which should still be prevalent. Should be interesting to see what it looks like. 

My high traffic local grocery hub looks more stocked than normal with less people running around.  It's just the non-food survival essentials that are long gone.  Those shelves have signage and they've implemented buying limits to thwart hoarding.

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

My high traffic local grocery hub looks more stocked than normal with less people running around.  It's just the non-food survival essentials that are long gone.  Those shelves have signage and they've implemented buying limits to thwart hoarding.

I’m just hoping to see the gif Casual posted above. If the world is going to end, I want to see to late 30s early 40s bellaire moms in yoga pants and bad dye jobs slapping the shit out of each other over a package of organic dried açaí berries. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Well there’s a confirmed case at my church and I’m on day 10 of an upper respiratory illness so I could be the odds favorite to win the Surly Covid 19 sweepstakes. It bounced off my 8 year old in like 3 days too.

Mods delete this post before we all catch it and die!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

More people than normal at that time of night. Its usualy just my drunk ass buying too much lube.

12 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Starting to look at my GSD more as a partner than a pet.

26 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Welcome back, NowThis!

This is way worse than pegging.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BLKNSTY said:

I’d be damned if I just didn’t get a Weather Channel app alert about two dead in Florida. 70+ yr olds who traveled overseas.

Guess they have high level connects at the CDC.

The case in Minnesota is an old man that was recently on a cruise with a confirmed fatality. 

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

This thing is racing through nursing homes, one of the least visited places in the US thanks to our culture of imprisoning our elders. Does this guy actually think he’s not surrounded by it already? 

It is a health system, EvergreenHealth, that is stopping the testing not a retirement home he miss worded it. Outside of that you're making his point that testing needs to be stepped up not stopped because of widespread it may be.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

Reuters:

About 70 people were trapped in a collapsed hotel in the city of Quanzhou, in southeastern Fujian Province, the city government said on its website.

The collapsed hotel is used for coronavirus quarantine, according to the official People’s Daily. The building collapsed at around 7:30 p.m., and by 9 p.m., 23 people had been rescued, the city government said.

No reason for the collapse was given.

7 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Reuters:

About 70 people were trapped in a collapsed hotel in the city of Quanzhou, in southeastern Fujian Province, the city government said on its website.

The collapsed hotel is used for coronavirus quarantine, according to the official People’s Daily. The building collapsed at around 7:30 p.m., and by 9 p.m., 23 people had been rescued, the city government said.

No reason for the collapse was given.

Collapsed or a bomb dropped like in "Outbreak"? With China you never know.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

It is a health system that is stopping the testing not a retirement home he miss worded it. Outside of that you're making his point that testing needs to be stepped up not stopped because of widespread it may be.

I read the statement and understood it was the health system. It doesn’t change my point that if it’s in nursing homes, it’s everywhere and, in my opinion, a waste of resources to test at this point. I believe this has been spreading in this country for quite some time and we are not equipped to take the necessary steps to stop it. Quarantining is the only method and that isn’t happening.

2 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Don’t agree with this decision at all, but it *is* looking like it’s just going to have to burn through the population.  Can we get some Doctors Without Borders up in this motherfucker?

I guess we should just self-quarantine when we think we might have it vs get tested to know for sure whether we are infectious.  I mean, if we as individuals want to do what we can to slow the spread and avoid it slamming our healthcare system in quite as raging of a flood. 

44 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

spacer.png

In the absence of measurements to gauge where and how fast the virus is spreading and whether any efforts to slow it down may be working, panic and hysteria are entirely appropriate.

Even if we quit collecting all numbers, in a few months we will be able to look at year-to-date totals of deaths due to respiratory illness for this year vs previous years to get a sense of the human cost we will have endured due to Covid-2019.

At some point, testing is more academic than anything else. Testing doesn’t even really seem to matter much in terms of how to care for the patient. Except it indicates the illness has a greater chance of getting worse for that person. And that they should take greater precaution in exposing others to it.

and to avoid sliding into the other coronavirus thread too much, we can see that govt (definitely China and maybe Iran) do not want real numbers to be released to the public. That type of info control will spread globally.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Goredho said:

Same for my mom, but restricting visitors is only part of it.  She pays a shit ton to live in what is basically a dormitory with a grand dining hall and all these activities and shit.  These all have to be staffed by people from the outside, so I hope they shut everything down that is non-essential to keep this out of their environment.  They have obviously not been able to do that in Seattle, so I'm trying to convince her to leave and move in with us temporarily until things stabilize.  So far, she's been flippant about the threat.

A lot of people have their own (not facility staff) home health aides of various stripes.  I would imagine one of these is infected and serving patients at multiple facilities.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

and to avoid sliding into the other coronavirus thread too much, we can see that govt (definitely China and maybe Iran) do not want real numbers to be released to the public. That type of info control will spread globally.

Yep, the once-in-a-century global pandemic HAD to happen in an election year, didn’t it?  Not ascribing malice to either party with that, just that it’s a shame election concerns are there to potentially pollute anyone’s thinking at a time like this.  R or D, incumbent or challenger.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

A lot of people have their own (not facility staff) home health aides of various stripes.  I would imagine one of these is infected and serving patients at multiple facilities.

Certainly plausible if not likely.

8 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I would consider testing as a very small piece of the protective measures necessary to contain something like this. 

I wouldn't say it is small. You can use the vast data set to refine predictive modeling and shift certain resources to certain areas based on impacted vs likely to be impacted. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I would consider testing as a very small piece of the protective measures necessary to contain something like this. 

People underestimate just how much of the population in the US is sick as fuck. Between sleep apnea, hypertension, diabetes, obesity, and lack of exercise tolerance/METS, a widespread coronavirus is going to be deadly as fuck in this country.... especially in 1-2 months when the healthcare system gets overwhelmed

My mom is on a cruise around South Africa (left from US) no idea which ship etc. 

it left in early Jan and was due back late March. No clue which ship she is supposed to be on (she is on a cruise around 9mos/year) 

She is your classic fat old cruise ship lady so if she gets CV she’s probably a goner. 

25 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Airports and airlines are not doing a goddamn thing to stop this virus. Shocking, I know.

I just received this email from United.

I consider you part of our United family and your safety remains our highest priority.

We are in the business of serving people and in the midst of this coronavirus outbreak it's important that we give you as much flexibility as possible when planning your next trip. But it's also important that we give you as much information as possible about the procedures we follow to clean our aircraft and maintain a sanitary environment once we're in the air.

Our teams are in daily contact with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), federal agencies and other global health organizations to share the most up-to-the-minute information to ensure the actions we're taking are comprehensive and appropriate.

So today, I wanted to personally reach out and share a few of the steps we are taking for you, our customer:

Before you fly
To give you the greatest flexibility, when you book any flight with us now through March 31, you can change it for free over the next 12 months – any ticket, any fare type, any destination.

On the ground
Our team of in-house medical experts and industrial hygienists oversee our aircraft cleaning procedures to ensure they meet or exceed all CDC guidelines. Hard surfaces such as lavatories, tray tables, window shades and armrests are thoroughly wiped down with a high-grade disinfectant and multi-purpose cleaner. And when we are advised by the CDC of a person who has traveled on board and is potentially exhibiting coronavirus symptoms, that aircraft is taken out of service and sent through a full decontamination process that includes our standard cleaning procedures plus washing ceilings and overhead bins and scrubbing the interior.

In the air
Our aircraft are equipped with state-of-the-art circulation systems, similar to those found in hospitals, which use a high-efficiency (HEPA) filter to circulate the air and remove more than 99% of airborne particles. We're also adjusting our inflight service to limit person-to-person contamination. This includes handing beverages directly to customers instead of allowing customers to touch a tray and ensuring all flight attendants wear gloves during service.

More information on each of these efforts can be found on the United Hub.

I know I speak for every member of our United family when I say that we take the greatest pride in the role we play in the lives of our customers, personally and professionally.

I want you to know that you can continue to rely on us. So, the next time we have the privilege of welcoming you aboard our aircraft, you can know our commitment to you remains as steadfast as ever.

Kind regards,

Oscar
Oscar Munoz
CEO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I wouldn't say it is small. You can use the vast data set to refine predictive modeling and shift certain resources to certain areas based on impacted vs likely to be impacted. 

Let me save a lot of time and resources and say densely populated areas. My math would probably be close.

Our government is utterly incompetent.  I am sure there are legal and hiring laws that must be satisfied before the new test kit assemblers can go live.  At this point it would be best to act like none of this is happening because the panic and .gov incompetence is going to be 100x worse than this just being a bad flu season that dragged on til summer.  I fear the panic and gov incompetence more than the virus.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Our government is utterly incompetent.  I am sure there are legal and hiring laws that must be satisfied before the new test kit assemblers can go live.  At this point it would be best to act like none of this is happening because the panic and .gov incompetence is going to be 100x worse than this just being a bad flu season that dragged on til summer.  I fear the panic and gov incompetence more than the virus.

This. Dunno how anyone can vote for this administration come november

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

You cannot control what you do not measure.  Suspending testing tells me that there is no interest in trying to control this.  Whistling past the graveyard. 

Meanwhile, I had a checkup this week and asked my doctor what symptoms I need to look for, and what to do if I or my wife show them.  He said body aches, a bad headache, coughing, trouble breathing, a high fever, and extreme fatigue or lethargy are the symptoms to watch for, and that if we get them, we need to contact him immediately.  He is concerned that this will be a bad outbreak, and likely to last a long time.  He also seemed very frustrated that testing is not available to him.

I feel better getting his advice on what to look for and how to respond, but his concerns about the severity of the outbreak and the lack of testing do nothing to reassure me.

This.  In the area where I live, within a 10-minute there’s a couple of large hospitals and administrative complexes, a shit-ton of offices and private practices, a large heart hospital, and next to our neighborhood park, a long-term care facility.  

At my kid’s school, a ton of the parents work at these various facilities, and I have talked to plenty of doctors, nurses, admins, etc. over the past few weeks.  

I have yet to hear any of them say anything remotely  like “yep, we are ready.”   Instead, all I hear is criticism of the city, state, and federal government, and how little prepared we are, and how it wouldn’t take many cases to overwhelm a lot of facilities.  

And I’ve heard a whole lot of “we should be testing a lot more, but we aren’t.”

I have yet to hear anybody say that we shouldn’t be testing.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away