Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The US now has 327 cases, and 16 dead.  I know it’s early and we will probably be passing up Japan and Spain in the next day or two once they test more Americans on the ship, but it’s odd that Japan, Span, Germany, and France have more cases, but far fewer deaths.  

Germany has 670 cases, no deaths for instance.  France, 613 cases, 9 deaths.  Maybe the Surly poster who mentioned Kirkland having the worse Wuhan strain than the rest of the US is right (and the first US case, the January 22nd case in that area, was from Wuhan)..

Those places all have better healthcare than the US

• Like 3

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

The US now has 327 cases, and 16 dead.  I know it’s early and we will probably be passing up Japan and Spain in the next day or two once they test more Americans on the ship, but it’s odd that Japan, Span, Germany, and France have more cases, but far fewer deaths.  

Germany has 670 cases, no deaths for instance.  France, 613 cases, 9 deaths.  Maybe the Surly poster who mentioned Kirkland having the worse Wuhan strain than the rest of the US is right (and the first US case, the January 22nd case in that area, was from Wuhan)..

I’m as big of a critic of the current administration as you will find, but the bug getting loose in a nursing home has skewed the US fatality numbers.

In a reddit thread about why other counties are getting their test results back much quicker than Travis County, one of you must have posted this (maybe @Armybrat )

“For each test, they have to do an environmental impact statement, get a code compliance officer to check it, decide how it works with CodeNEXT, check it for cultural sensitivity, and hire consultants to do a study. They're also looking for free-range, cruelty-free, fair-trade, organic, gluten-free testing materials.

They're also not allowed to use single-use plastic items in the process, so they have to use 1950's style reusable needles and glass syringes, which take a long time to sterilize between patients.

Then to top it off, for some reason Capital Metro is running the process and it's REALLY screwed up.

Don't worry, they're using the same lab that handles rape kits, so the process will be fixed any day now.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m as big of a critic of the current administration as you will find, but the bug getting loose in a nursing home has skewed the US fatality numbers.

10 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Aren't most of our deaths from like 2 nursing homes? Europeans don't cram their elderly into petri dish factories like we do. 

True, but man it tore through them.  And if we have a couple of more nursing homes hit, it’ll skyrocket.  

6 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Sorry covid is already unnerving so unless an article is from the  WHO CDC or a study in a respectable medical journal I’m just flat out not going to read or believe it. The scientific data coming out is alarming enough. 

Social distancing is of utmost importance in slowing the spread of the virus.  It will spread regardless, but keeping it as much at bay as possible to allow medical facilities to keep up is the key.  If the WHO is correct in stating 20% of cases in China  needed hospital assisted breathing for up to 2 weeks, the suggestions that covid is simply another addition to the common cold is laughable.  Sure, im 29 and not too concerned for myself, but fuck I'm glad sxsw is cancelled.  Large gatherings like that are the very first things that need to be put on hold when new, as yet not fully understood diseases appear. 

6 hours ago, hundredTT said:

So basically all sporting events, concerts...etc will soon be watch only? I remember talks about March Madness being crowdless, would be crazy. Wonder when it gets to the point of no one even going to the movies...

Invest in Netflix, etc.

51 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

True, but man it tore through them.  And if we have a couple of more nursing homes hit, it’ll skyrocket.  

I don't think this point can be overstated.  In the Seattle area, two more nursing homes have had a resident test positive.  They join the first, which has had 11, nope, 12 deaths from their 190 resident population.  That's 6.3% of their residents dead in a couple weeks.  But most of us can power through it, so it's no big deal.  See you on the flip side, Granny!

89029596-10222075899876008-7679648275414

88253792-10222075899956010-7531829880636

87528559-10222075901356045-2337265801700

15 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I don't think this point can be overstated.  In the Seattle area, two more nursing homes have had a resident test positive.  They join the first, which has had 11, nope, 12 deaths from their 190 resident population.  That's 6.3% of their residents dead in a couple weeks.  But most of us can power through it, so it's no big deal.  See you on the flip side, Granny!

89029596-10222075899876008-7679648275414

88253792-10222075899956010-7531829880636

87528559-10222075901356045-2337265801700

My MIL is in a board-and-care facility, and they have restricted access to only close relatives, and then only on an as needed basis, not just to visit.  

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

My MIL is in a board-and-care facility, and they have restricted access to only close relatives, and then only on an as needed basis, not just to visit.  

Same for my mom, but restricting visitors is only part of it.  She pays a shit ton to live in what is basically a dormitory with a grand dining hall and all these activities and shit.  These all have to be staffed by people from the outside, so I hope they shut everything down that is non-essential to keep this out of their environment.  They have obviously not been able to do that in Seattle, so I'm trying to convince her to leave and move in with us temporarily until things stabilize.  So far, she's been flippant about the threat.

4 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Same for my mom, but restricting visitors is only part of it.  She pays a shit ton to live in what is basically a dormitory with a grand dining hall and all these activities and shit.  These all have to be staffed by people from the outside, so I hope they shut everything down that is non-essential to keep this out of their environment.  They have obviously not been able to do that in Seattle, so I'm trying to convince her to leave and move in with us temporarily until things stabilize.  So far, she's been flippant about the threat.

She probably still reads People.  Have her read his article, and tell her it will be her on the other side of the window as you talk to her by phone.  

https://people.com/health/woman-talks-to-husband-through-window-of-quarantined-nursing-home-coronavirus/

5 hours ago, lonestarsooner said:

Just went though TSA Precheck in Terminal 1 at ORD. First time I have ever walked up to it and had zero people in line. Anecdotal but relatively speaking given my hundreds of time through here, this place is empty. So odd to see on a Friday night when everyone should be heading home from work trips. 

" I just rammed my own ass up my nose and damn some how my face is still firmly stuck up my own ass".

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Texas tracking of reported cases 

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/#casecounts

Wish they would tell us how many people have been tested in Texas. I hope I’m wrong but I guess the number is very small. Texas would seem to be the a state that only wants to test someone that is sick AND was recently in 1 of the 4 countries that have been hit hard.

and according to The Atlantic, Texas refuses to disclose the number of tests that have been performed. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Why would you ever step foot on a cruise ship again?

A Nile cruise boat carrying over 150 tourists and Egyptian crew is under quarantine in the southern city of Luxor after 12 people tested positive for the coronavirus.

Egyptian health authorities say a Taiwanese-American tourist on board the boat had tested positive for the virus upon returning to Taiwan late in February.

Local officials said there are Americans, French and Indians among the passengers. A health official said that the 12 are isolated inside the boat while the rest are awaiting test results.

The new infections bring the total number of cases in Egypt to 15.

Edited by Loco

16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Well my industry’s biggest trade show in Vegas just was cancelled. There’s 45,000 people saved - for now.

I know a lot of people are giving CONEXPO a miss next week in Vegas

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

This thing is racing through nursing homes, one of the least visited places in the US thanks to our culture of imprisoning our elders. Does this guy actually think he’s not surrounded by it already? 

Sorry, couldn’t help but laugh at “imprisoning our elders.”

Tell you what, I’ll send my parents to live at your house.

• Like 2

Someone here mentioned the "ground glass" appearance last week.  Don't recall if CT specifically was mentioned, but it's chest CT.  Chest xray doesn't reveal the ground glass effect from what's reported.

Edited by triplehorn

10 minutes ago, Okie State said:
41 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:
Made a midnight run to the local HEB last night. Their employees are exhausted and sick of our shit.

Was anybody there? Thinking about going tonight to restock a few things.

More people than normal at that time of night. Its usualy just my drunk ass buying too much lube.

You cannot control what you do not measure.  Suspending testing tells me that there is no interest in trying to control this.  Whistling past the graveyard. 

Meanwhile, I had a checkup this week and asked my doctor what symptoms I need to look for, and what to do if I or my wife show them.  He said body aches, a bad headache, coughing, trouble breathing, a high fever, and extreme fatigue or lethargy are the symptoms to watch for, and that if we get them, we need to contact him immediately.  He is concerned that this will be a bad outbreak, and likely to last a long time.  He also seemed very frustrated that testing is not available to him.

I feel better getting his advice on what to look for and how to respond, but his concerns about the severity of the outbreak and the lack of testing do nothing to reassure me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Well there’s a confirmed case at my church and I’m on day 10 of an upper respiratory illness so I could be the odds favorite to win the Surly Covid 19 sweepstakes. It bounced off my 8 year old in like 3 days too.

My cousin's husband (cousin-in-law?) is an EMT in Washington who rendered aid to that lady who died, so he's currently in home quarantine.

It was nice knowing you both.

Edited by aggie08

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away