Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So we're still sending millions of Texans out of state to pick up the virus and bring it back to Texas during Spring Break, right?  

Damn shame about SXSW because the most susceptible population for coronavirus is totally the target demographic of the festival proper.  

It's called a controlled burn.

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So we're still sending millions of Texans out of state to pick up the virus and bring it back to Texas during Spring Break, right?  

It’s already here in plenty of numbers. Testing is slow and cumbersome. I know first hand. We don’t need to worry about importing it. It really depends on how many people are going to high density locations where they may easily catch it.

Today's DIA report. At 2:00 on a Friday afternoon there was not a single person in the North Security Precheck line. Usually it's all the way to the back of the ropes and 4 lanes wide. There were three guys sitting there shooting the shit at the ticket scanners, and they only had one luggage scanner open. I actually walked all the way up to the ticket scanner before fishing my wallet out and opening my boarding pass on my phone. The regular line didn't seem much shorter than usual, which tells me it's corporate travel bans accounting for the light TSA Pre line.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Be prepared for lots of small businesses to possibly close.  This is brutal to the Austin economy.  I think it's the correct decision, but I feel for all the people who will suffer financially from this.

Why? Link to substantiate?  I’m not saying south by doesn’t bring in good money But it isn’t like Austin has a tiny entertainment industry that no one attends on a nightly or weekly basis or isn’t kicking ass during RoT, hs championships, damn near every wknd in the fall.

I’ll be honest and admit it’ll hurt but hyperbole alarmist claims of cratering and closing small businesses in the Austin economy ... come on.  I feel like CTJ here!  I’m open to a counter argument but it’s gotta be convincing.  

• Like 2

Got friends that work at SXSW and friends that own local businesses.  Not going to get into specifics, but many many places factor in SXSW for yearly financials as well as prep for large commitments during SXSW that will not be reimbursed in any way.  This is word of mouth from the source, support local businesses during the SXSW time frame if you can.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Pasken said:

I'm not saying SXSW shouldn't be canceled but I don't think the average austinte understands the damage it would do to the local economy. Lots of businesses are going to be looking for ways to balance the books after falling way short of revenue this quarter.  

Meeting is about to start. The entire city council is behind the podium which looks like bad news.

not to pick on your post directly, but I do find it a bit strange that people are getting into upheaval just now, or just about a certain event or two. The event wasn't going to be anywhere near the same and the economy is FOOKED anyway. I mean we are heading towards a massive economic depression of sorts, even if it only lasts another few months and we can come back from it. Business confidence is in the shitter man. Conference or no conference is re-arranging deck chairs on the titantic.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Paste as Plain Text is your friend, my man. And our friend too. But thanks for the analysis for ants. 

source.gif

Thanks I'll try to remember that, but what does it look like to you? It looks normal sized for me on desktop, mobile, and tapa. 

25 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

May have already been mentioned, but HIMSS is cancelled as well. Largest Healthcare technology conference in the world. Trump was supposed to speak this year. 

Could you imagine if anybody got infected at that thing, the publicity shitshow that would ensue?

48 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I will be shocked if COA cancels SXSW. I was sure that they wouldn't release any info until after the conference was over.

41 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I’m pretty sure they were told they had to cancel it.

39 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I'll be fucking damned. No way our Fucktarded City Council made the decision.

You know how they were being secretive and trying to claim they didn’t have to say how many people they were testing?  And that test results were coming back later this week?

I’m guessing they got a bunch of positives that they can’t figure out the origins for.   

There is no way in hell they did this without seeing something that spooked them.  Hell, I would have guessed that they would have held off on the test results until after SXSW.   

1 hour ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-have-been-tested-coronavirus/607597/?fbclid=IwAR3xCptI-_223gC3WY3RR0vEvJqipY_mZ0IqnIflJ4-QbANIkqmfQJzk1oo

It's what a lot of us have been saying.  We're behind the 8 ball in testing, either through our own gross incompetence or for other more nefarious reasons (i.e. not wanting the true infected numbers out there scaring the market and stalling the economy).  White House is making claims that it is unlikely to be able to achieve (e.g. 1 million tests available w/in a week).

Would love to know who made the decision about yanking the testing information off of the CDC site.  Would be great to see some FOI requests.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Have to think this is going to be a small domino that makes the general public panic ramp up a notch. And I'm guessing with this precedent you'll see massive changes or cancellations for sporting events like March Madness, all of it. No one wanted to be the first major event to jump into the cold water, but I'm guessing now you'll see a trail of similar reactions across the country. 

We weren't the first, but the dominos will fall quickly now. 

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/downtown-miami/article240878956.html

Oklahoma reporting for duty:

Officials identified the patient who tested positive as a male in his 50s who had recently traveled to Italy. He returned to Tulsa on Feb. 23 and went to his health care provider with symptoms on Feb. 29, when state health officials were notified.

The man and his family are currently under isolation in their home, officials said.

The case was confirmed by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, but the state now has the ability to conduct tests itself, officials said.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I also think its fair to say that the actual infected rate is impossible to really know, and its most likely higher by an order of magnitude.

For example, the Harris County cases all apparently caught their coronavirus during an Egypt trip. Right now, Egypt is reporting that 15 people have the coronavirus. Is it likely that several Harris County residents just happened to come in contact with 1 of those 15? Probably more like 1,500 or 15,000 have it in Egypt. And since we don't have realistic infection rates, who knows how this is growing. or not growing.

Reminds me of how, early on, the reported cases out of Wuhan were low, while it seemed like they were exporting it everywhere.  Wouldn’t take many airport workers to do the trick.  

52 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

By who?

Is there legal exposure to not canceling with the knowledge of a local viral outbreak that results in transmission and death?  I mean, I don't think this happened because morality and ethics outweighed economics.  Any lawyer types have a meaningful opinion here?

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Trump may  ultimately be correct that the fatality rate is lower than currently reported. But his use of a hunch is weak.

BUT if he's right about the fatality rate, that means that the disease is probably more contagious than originally thought and the death count itself might be higher than if it was less contagious but more deadly like SARS or MERS.

I thought the question the (KEYE?) reporter asked Adler was a good one   

Reporter: ”Two days ago you said you had no power to cancel SXSW, you could only suggest such.  But now you're saying you’re canceling the event.  How can both be true and what changed?”

Adler: “Uhhh...”

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trump may  ultimately be correct that the fatality rate is lower than currently reported. But his use of a hunch is weak.

BUT if he's right about the fatality rate, that means that the disease is probably more contagious than originally thought and the death count itself might be higher than if it was less contagious but more deadly like SARS or MERS.

It could be %1, but let’s talk about what it’s like for the 65 and up crowd.   

45 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Got friends that work at SXSW and friends that own local businesses.  Not going to get into specifics, but many many places factor in SXSW for yearly financials as well as prep for large commitments during SXSW that will not be reimbursed in any way.  This is word of mouth from the source, support local businesses during the SXSW time frame if you can.

Yep.   Know a few bar owners down there that this sort of cancellation could bankrupt. 

Oh, and academic discussion aside -- the SXSW cancellation is going to be just awful for a lot of folks economically, including a lot of local small businesses.  To the extent we can, we need to support them with our business in the coming months.  Academic discussions on a board are one thing -- real people losing their livelihood in the real world is another.  That sucks, and I truly and genuinely feel sorry as hell for a lot of folks around here.

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I’m at a volleyball tounament at the Orlando convention center with my daughter’s team and over 1000 others. There is no way it doesn’t spread from here. 10000s of people are in close indoor quarters and will be flying out on Sunday.

You had it at Orlando, You had it at Orlando!

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and academic discussion aside -- the SXSW cancellation is going to be just awful for a lot of folks economically, including a lot of local small businesses.  To the extent we can, we need to support them with our business in the coming months.  Academic discussions on a board are one thing -- real people losing their livelihood in the real world is another.  That sucks, and I truly and genuinely feel sorry as hell for a lot of folks around here.

I definitely feel bad for the employees and staff of these businesses and agree we should do what we can to help out.

I have less sympathy for the business owners.  The businesses probably shouldn't exist if their entire survival hinges upon a single event they have zero control over.  

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away