Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Thinking back on it now I traveled to Australia in November. Upon returning home I came down with high fever, body aches, dry cough, and fatigue. Second night the fever broke and it was like I wet the bed. Cough stayed around for a week but it didn’t seem that abnormal. 

I don’t think this thing started spreading in Wuhan until December but it makes me wonder. 

Hey look everybody, its patient zero! 

Can we call it the Koala Virus?

22 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yes, I did. Like nothing I'd experienced before. Dry rattle in my chest. Got better for a few days, then my lungs hurt for a few more, then slept 11 hours a day for three days, when I usually sleep 5. Better now.

I had the same thing.  The cough was bad.  Day 3-4 in the evening my lungs started wheezing badly but I recovered quickly after I let the fever run its course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Larry T. Spider said:

It’s definitely an ongoing conversation at my elementary school. Ultimately the state is going to have to have a funding mechanism for districts that shut down in Texas. We get funded based on attendance and 85% of that goes to salaries. 

Same in California, I haven't been following that aspect too closely, but I hope the states have reached out to the schools to alleviate concerns and ensure they will get funding regardless. The last thing you want is schools making the decision to remain open based on funding (which of course, is likely what they're doing.)

2 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

It’s definitely an ongoing conversation at my elementary school. Ultimately the state is going to have to have a funding mechanism for districts that shut down in Texas. We get funded based on attendance and 85% of that goes to salaries. 

Make a personal choice, don't worry about everyone else.  They'll be right behind you, believe it.  But each and every day matters right now to give you the best chance to steer clear initially until we know more what the best next steps are.

1 minute ago, 2300 Nueces said:

I had the same thing.  The cough was bad.  Day 3-4 in the evening my lungs started wheezing badly but I recovered quickly after I let the fever run its course.

Yeah. It felt like only the very top of my lungs were getting air and it sounded like a whistle when I would breathe. I usually have a robust immune system. I can't even remember the last time I had had a cold or flu.

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yeah. It felt like only the very top of my lungs were getting air and it sounded like a whistle when I would breathe. I usually have a robust immune system. I can't even remember the last time I had had a cold or flu.

My daughter had a 104 fever.  It was a little scary but we were able to get the fever down.  It kept coming back on my youngest son.  He had fevers off and on for 2 weeks.

Yes, my lungs would whistle at night as well.  It woke my wife up constantly.  She kept hitting me all night so little to no sleep.  She said it sounded like pneumonia but I didn't care.  I just wanted to sleep.

After reading the description of the symptoms from others that were tested and recovered, my symptoms were almost identical.

Edited by 2300 Nueces
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Christians around the world withstood torture and death to celebrate mass. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A DOCUMENTED CASE OF INFECTIOUS DISEASE SPREAD FROM THE COMMUNION CUP. I have cited the peer reviewed research in an earlier and I will do it again:

Bishop Doyle from the Diocese of Texas has banned the practice of intincting the host (which is less sanitary than drinking from the communion cup because people's fingers sometimes end up touching the wine) for the time being and has ordered holy water stoups to be drained. Still there has never been a documented case of an infectious disease being transmitted from the communion cup. Every Episcopal church I have been to take the appropriate safeguards--that is, wiping the interior and exterior rim between communicants, use of care to rotate the cloth during use, and use of a clean cloth for each service - to diminish this risk

• Letter to the Editor from CDC Scientists,
    "Risk of Infectious Disease Transmission from a Common Communion Cup"
    American Journal of Infection Control (Vol. 26, pgs. 538-539). 
    • Key quotes: "no documented transmission of any infectious disease has ever been traced to the use of a common communion cup" and "the risk for infectious disease transmission by a common communion cup is very low"
  • Peer-Reviewed Article,
    "The hazard of infection from the shared communion cup"
    Journal of Infection (1988) (Vol 16, pgs. 3-23).
    • Key quote: "No episode of disease attributable to the shared communion cup has ever been reported. Currently available data do not provide any support for suggesting that the practice of sharing a common communion cup should be abandoned because it might spread infection."

A cloth. To clean. Between people sharing a highly communicable disease. That's some real turn-of-the-century logic here. 

Bet you didn't pull the paper. I did. Interesting first that simply putting this text in google pulls up mentions on dozens of Christian websites, so this clearly this argument makes the rounds in the religious circles. 

And I quote

link

There is substantial evidence that neither infection with hepatitis B virus nor HIV can be transmitted directly via saliva so that indirect transmission via inanimate objects is even less likely. No episode of disease attributable to the shared communion cup has ever been reported.

In 1988 - which is why they were looking at HIV transmission. 

Do you know how different COVID-19 is from HIV and hepatitis B? Just curious. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, 2300 Nueces said:

My daughter had a 104 fever.  It was a little scary but we were able to get the fever down.  It kept coming back on my youngest son.  He had fevers off and on for 2 weeks.

Didn't have too bad of a fever. Had the chills over the course of one night, where I was just shivering, but it passed. I started the elderberry and myricetin shortly after it began.

7 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Make a personal choice, don't worry about everyone else.  They'll be right behind you, believe it.  But each and every day matters right now to give you the best chance to steer clear initially until we know more what the best next steps are.

I run the school so that’s not really an option, unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Didn't have too bad of a fever. Had the chills over the course of one night, where I was just shivering, but it passed. I started the elderberry and myricetin shortly after it began.

Cool, I had no idea what it was...  I thought it was some odd strain of the flu because I had never had a cough like that.  I thought I was going to break some ribs at day 4-5.  I have had the flu and it comes with a long fever.  I found all those natural virus inhibitors after the fact.  Glad they helped you.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RayDog said:

So they die 2 months later?

One month will only delay things one month plus the time it takes the illness to work. Waiting it out means waiting for a vaccine which could take a year. We cannot all go into quarantine for a year as more people would die of starvation. 

flatten the curve.

everyone(?) 60-70%(?) is going to get it before the vaccine.

the most important thing is to prevent the crash of the healthcare system.

catch it later, and take your chances then, but DON'T CATCH IT NOW.  not in this first wave.

• Like 3

Just now, 2300 Nueces said:

Cool, I had no idea what it was...  I thought it was some odd strain of the flu because I had never had a cough like that.  I thought I was going to break some ribs at day 4-5.  I have had the flu and it comes with a long fever.  I found all those natural virus inhibitors after the fact.  Glad they helped you.

I was driving home one day and had this deep, rattling cough that overtook me. Had to pull over until it passed. Felt like shit wanted to come up, but it couldn't. 

5 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I run the school so that’s not really an option, unfortunately. 

Some of us are well aware of your tough position.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out with the schools.  Especially here in Texas.  I hope the best for you.  Send those sick kids home as fast as you can! 

Ok people conjecturing that you had Covid. You describe a viral syndrome and there are many viruses that can cause your symptoms. It’s doubtful you had Covid three to four weeks ago unless you were in China, Italy or Washington state. And rapid flu tests are notoriously inaccurate so you might have had it anyway. We were getting large amounts of flu positive patients up until 2 weeks ago.

Going forward, it’s a maybe.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

Some of us are well aware of your tough position.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out with the schools.  Especially here in Texas.  I hope the best for you.  Send those sick kids home as fast as you can! 

Thank you. Two days until spring break so that will hopefully buy the state some time to make a decision.

6 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Ok people conjecturing that you had Covid. You describe a viral syndrome and there are many viruses that can cause your symptoms. It’s doubtful you had Covid three to four weeks ago unless you were in China, Italy or Washington state. And rapid flu tests are notoriously inaccurate so you might have had it anyway. We were getting large amounts of flu positive patients up until 2 weeks ago.

Going forward, it’s a maybe.

Mine was three weeks ago, into last week. Developed after 22 year-old co-worker came back to the office from China, where she claimed to have the worst case of the flu she had ever had. So, possibly?

Also turned out she failed to tell her doctor, who gave her the ok to come back to work, that she had been in China for December/January.

Edited by Deej

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

flatten the curve.

everyone(?) 60-70%(?) is going to get it before the vaccine.

the most important thing is to prevent the crash of the healthcare system.

catch it later, and take your chances then, but DON'T CATCH IT NOW.  not in this first wave.

Except if you do what China, Singapore, or South Korea are doing you make the second wave the worst one.

2 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Thank you. Two days until spring break so that will hopefully buy the state some time to make a decision.

it's disgusting that we are 48 hours since OM said he was calling in the wolf, he met with banksters today, and they could waive a magic wand and take 5% of their assets and wipe out all fiscal problems for the entire country for a year.

where is our governor on this?  just make the decree and send the bill to OM.

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

Mine was three weeks ago, into last week. Developed after 22 year-old co-worker came back to the office from China, where she claimed to have the worst case of the flu she had ever had. So, possibly?

Yeah, you had it.

It's fucking ridiculous that Italy banned church services and any church in this country that does not hold services should be ashamed of themselves. At a time of need like this, leaning on faith and being able to receive the sacrament of communion is essential. There was a good op-ed about this yesterday in the Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/opinion/coronavirus-church-religion.html

This post is fucking seven shades of stupid.
I’m worried that I’ll get Covid-19 if I click that link.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RayDog said:

So they die 2 months later?

One month will only delay things one month plus the time it takes the illness to work. Waiting it out means waiting for a vaccine which could take a year. We cannot all go into quarantine for a year as more people would die of starvation. 

This is what I'm seeing as well now there is zero chance of containment. I think the only thing that we should do that makes any sense is canceling all large gatherings of people over 50 to 100 including schools while doing everything possible to increase our ability to treat patients with intubation as much as possible. Other than that have to just keep living a normal daily life of commerce because shutting everything down will just cause a great depression like situation. 

We just have to come to grips that close to or over 1 million Americans will die in the next 12 months and there's nothing we can do about it. Just have to do everything within reason to avoid the situation where we can't treat the sick and have to euthanize the elderly critically ill so they at least don't suffer from suffocation. 

All those scenarios of deadly disease pandemic being the Achilles heel to modern technological society are coming to be. 

Edited by Junior Miller

Just now, Junior Miller said:

It should be up to the patient. If you know you aren't getting treatment because you're deemed too old or fragile to use resources on wouldn't you want to be ended quickly? 

I do not disagree, but the backlash would be tremendous. 

44 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

It sounds like some districts may do the teleteaching thing.   Would that count towards attendance?

Wife is in education, as are a couple of in-laws.  There is talk that depending on how things go, they might extend spring break (next week) for a week or two, and either setup the remote teaching stuff, or extend the school year into the summer.   

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away