Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

11 minutes ago, Foosters said:

This is terrifying. I hope the information within is incorrect or embellished: 

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-11/italy-doctors-coronavirus-covid-19-quarantine-milan-health/

This matches the stuff that Italy announced yesterday, and again, this is hearsay, but I have a friend with family from China who closely monitors things that are going on with Hong Kong. He monitors government oppression in China pretty closely, which includes the videos that make their way out of China that are not exactly friendly to the government there. He said that the videos (which we'll call rumors) are that the disease is attacking young and old alike, the younger cases just take longer to get critical. But it's a rumor, although it matches what looks like would be happening in Italy. 

So, theoretically, the old overwhelm the hospitals and things go to shit just in time for all the younger people to kid sick and crash it again. 

34 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I am going to Total Wine on the way home and buying a shit ton of booze.

Nope.  I quit drinking 5 days ago and holding fast.  Alcohol suppresses your immune system.  Stone cold sober and well-slept is the best thing you can do.  Other than self-isolate.  And take 5000mg of D3 and 1000mg of Zinc every day.  And CBD.

Anyone intent on having the absolute best chance of being on the other side should get sober today.  It sucks.  But i'm getting used to it.

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Nope.  I quit drinking 5 days ago and holding fast.  Alcohol suppresses your immune system.  Stone cold sober and well-slept is the best thing you can do.  Other than self-isolate.  And take 5000mg of D3 and 1000mg of Zinc every day.  And CBD.

Anyone intent on having the absolute best chance of being on the other side should get sober today.  It sucks.  But i'm getting used to it.

Gargling with whiskey is your best bet.  At least you won't care when you die.

33 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The worst parts of Iranian culture exhibited by the Islamic rulers are amplifying the situation. Lies, deceit and deflecting blame are baked into Iranian culture like tahdig.

You sound like you are describing the current administration in the swamp.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, B00M said:

Yesterday the cutoff was 65 y/o and they were already maxed out before today's new wave... 

THIS IS OUR CONCERN FOR THE MORONS THAT STILL DONT GET IT @RollLeft

...anyway, back to my question regarding how panic, of the masses, can best be managed?  Give me your witty fucking opinions on how to solve that current and very real problem.  Its currently worse than the virus itself, imo.  I think if we can do that one thing better we might, just might be able to actually help with the harm/spread of this nasty shit going around.   

Like i suggested, someone should address the nation and educate, primetime.  Fuck Cspan.  Make simpleton charts and graphs to compare it .  Compare it to the flu, ebola, aids whatever you need to make the point on how bad/not bad it is.  Bore us on the science some.  Then suggest what can feasibly be done by everyone.  Talk about the harms of public panic.  Talk about the sustainability of staying home and the reality that we all need to go to work at some point and kids need to go to school at some point, if canceled.  This shit is here for a year at a minimum. Talk about the realistic number of deaths we already have each year from different viruses and where this virus fits or compares or could if not managed.  Life isn't going to stop.  We can't isolate ourselves forever or even an extended period of time.  How do we determine that line? 

There is a lot of uninformed, uneducated and ill equipped people at life who need more than a fucking tweet to tell them what they should or should not be fearing.   We need leadership, apolitical, in the worst way.  Again, what say you on what can be done to manage the effects, one being panic, of Covid-19?   Bored of your lectures on shit i've already read and your dumbass perception of what you think i get or don't.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

People detoxing off alcohol in the ICU's for Covid would clearly be a major disadvantage.   You want normal blood pressure as much as possible and as decreased mental distress as you can achieve.  Even mild detox is no bueno. And if you're tubed, they may never even know which would really suck.

Edited by triplehorn

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

That...seems like a lot of fucking zinc. I think the chewable I got is 30mg. 

The guy on the Joe Rogan podcast did also echo this sentiment. Don't do anything that shits all over your immune system, an alcohol was specifically mentioned. Eat healthy, exercise. 

My wife and I have asthma, which I guess is going to count here as an underlying pulmonary condition. 

34 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Interesting. I felt bad about a week ago. Slight fever. Nothing else really. Then overnight I woke up to a bloody nose. My nose was really dry. Unusual for me as I’m usually suffering from cedar fever.

if you survived the dry sinus attack following a fever, based on what we know, it's possible you have it and won the combat.  you should call your local non-testing agency and tell them exactly what happened and get on the list for a test.

DMN: Dallas cancels weekend’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade because of coronavirus

Dallas’ St. Patrick’s Day Parade & Festival on Greenville Avenue in East Dallas scheduled for Saturday has been canceled to avoid the further spread of coronavirus, city officials announced Wednesday.

City officials made the public announcement about the cancellation shortly after they discussed the parade Wednesday. The long-standing parade was expected to draw more than 125,000 people, according to the parade’s organizers

full text below:

Spoiler

Dallas’ St. Patrick’s Day Parade & Festival on Greenville Avenue in East Dallas scheduled for Saturday has been canceled to avoid the further spread of coronavirus, city officials announced Wednesday.

City officials made the public announcement about the cancellation shortly after they discussed the parade Wednesday. The long-standing parade was expected to draw more than 125,000 people, according to the parade’s organizers, and one resident began a petition on Change.org for the city to cancel the event. More than 250 people had signed the petition as of early Wednesday afternoon.

Mayor Eric Johnson said cancelling the event was the responsible decision made after consultation with county and state officials. City officials revoked special event permits for the parade and block party.

“Canceling the St. Patrick’s Day parade and block party was not an easy decision, but it is the correct and responsible decision,” Johnson said.

The parade, which would have been held for the 41st consecutive year, occupies 2 miles of Greenville Avenue from Blackwell Street to SMU Boulevard and 75 Central Expressway. The nonprofit Greenville Avenue Area Business Association organizes the parade, which had more than 90 parade float entries this year.

On Tuesday, Dallas officials announced that a 77-year-old man from out of state and a local person in close contact with him were the first two “presumptive positive” cases of coronavirus. A Tarrant County man who heads a Fort Worth church and a family of three in Frisco also have tested positive for the virus.

Chris Kelley, a spokesman for the parade’s sponsors, said had been in discussions with the city after news of the confirmed cases. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a list of recommendations to avoid the spread of the novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, including guidance on mass gatherings.

The city’s Office of Special Events can choose whether to approve permits for events. The office didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday. Earlier this week before the cases in Dallas, the city said special events would proceed as scheduled.

Rocky Vaz, the city’s director of emergency management, said in an interview Monday that officials would take direction from the county — which is Dallas’ public health authority — to make recommendations on mass gatherings and decide whether to shut down public buildings. City officials haven’t shared whether there has been any criteria established to make those decisions.

In 1918, the Spanish flu that killed thousands of soldiers in the U.S. also spread rapidly after a parade drew thousands of Dallas residents. A total of 76 cases were reported, twice as many as two days earlier, and killed a 15-year-old boy who had been infected, The Newsreported in 1918.

Edited by NoName

26 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

My CFO just informed us that beginning Monday, our company (90ish employees)  will close the office and have everyone work form home. Leadership will evaluate on a weekly basis. 

Every academic in America is apparently curious how this is even possible. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

<OJ Photo>

at least post the tweet with the text - much funnier this way

plus you miss the great comments like

• Can you kill the virus for us OJ?
  • @911LAPD there's been a murder
  • Good grief, Juice. It’s coronavirus. Not dysentery. You having some stomach problems?
  • Smart move NOT using the Kirkland Brand toilet paper, its the only product Costco hasn't mastered.

I was in my local wallyworld 2 days ago and walked past the TP aisle to see what was what. All of the Walmart brand large packaged rolls were gone. There was some  Northern and plenty of charmin, and all brands of th4 and 8 roll packs. So the hoarding is budget capped thus far. 

i grabbed a big pack of northern to be safe.  I estimate I have 8-10 weeks of supply at this time. It’s non perishable so why not. 

14 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

You are probably taking 5000 IUs of D3, which is equivalent to 125 micrograms. Also 1000 mg of zinc seems way to high. 50 mg should more than cover it.

...anyway, back to my question regarding how panic, of the masses, can best be managed?  Give me your witty fucking opinions on how to solve that current and very real problem.  Its currently worse than the virus itself, imo.

How? Other than being annoyed by people talking about this or buying all of the tp, what is the problem being created? I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely don't see the tangible problem being created here.

Also, if it seems worse right now, hang on a week or two and that perspective will change.

Talk about the sustainability of staying home and the reality that we all need to go to work at some point and kids need to go to school at some point, if canceled.  This shit is here for a year at a minimum. Talk about the realistic number of deaths we already have each year from different viruses and where this virus fits or compares or could if not managed.  Life isn't going to stop.  We can't isolate ourselves forever or even an extended period of time. 

I generally disagree with most of this. We absolutely can isolate for an extended period of time. It's not normal, and would require some pretty unique programs between governments, banks, businesses, etc, but simply dismissing that as possible is wrong. If that is literally the only way to contain this until a vaccine or other solution is found, we should 100% be focused on how to make that reality work rather than why that reality isn't feasible.

I think trying to find answers to this within the context of what we consider normal day to day life is a mistake. The best answers to this will likely involve shaking up day to day life in ways that will feel abnormal and uncomfortable for potentially an extended period of time.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, XYZ said:

You are probably taking 5000 IUs of D3, which is equivalent to 125 micrograms. Also 1000 mg of zinc seems way to high. 50 mg should more than cover it.

I think what Hagbard was trying to say is that he’d prefer to kill himself by overdosing on household vitamins than let the coronamonster take him while he’s hacking inside the bowels of the healthcare system. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

How? Other than being annoyed by people talking about this or buying all of the tp, what is the problem being created? I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely don't see the tangible problem being created here.

Also, if it seems worse right now, hang on a week or two and that perspective will change.

I generally disagree with most of this. We absolutely can isolate for an extended period of time. It's not normal, and would require some pretty unique programs between governments, banks, businesses, etc, but simply dismissing that as possible is wrong. If that is literally the only way to contain this until a vaccine or other solution is found, we should 100% be focused on how to make that reality work rather than why that reality isn't feasible.

I think trying to find answers to this within the context of what we consider normal day to day life is a mistake. The best answers to this will likely involve shaking up day to day life in ways that will feel abnormal and uncomfortable for potentially an extended period of time.

Really, and i'm the moron?

No shit it's gonna get worse.

Please for the love of God explain how that shit will work?  

Edited by RollLeft

1 hour ago, Somnio said:

1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, 32,768, 65536, 131072, 262144, 524288, 1048576, 2097152, 4194304, 8388608, 16777216, 33554432, 67108864, 134217728

It takes 28 doubling cycles to reach 134,217,728.

It's wild how slow it seemingly starts out before exploding.  I mean half way through you're still only at 8,192.

I used the doubling grains of rice per chess board square story to illustrate exponential math. 

9 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

A lot of money is being lost with the cancellations. I'm not arguing that they aren't necessary, but that's the tangible problem.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away