Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 minutes ago, Loco said:

Finally some good coronavirus news.... unless you're Juicy or Juicy sock

Actually I think that's the right thing to do and I tip my hat to them for doing it.

They're recruiting shitty players so it really doesn't matter.  2.5* heaven.

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Fuck, I meant 2019 vs 2020.  Goddammit, all the fucking stupid is shedding and I got infected.

What this suggests indirectly is there has been a fair share of people presenting and being stable enough to be sent home despite feeling crappy enough to go to the ER.  Mildly reassuring given we pretty much now know this has been going on recently undetected.  Missed opportunity for early contain and early community measures.

Edit: actually don't know if they got admitted or not.  Just no Covid diagnosis evidently.

Edited by triplehorn

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

So apparently Zinc does not help by itself because it's a positive Ion and has no way of breaching the cell membrane. However, there is a malaria drug called Chloroquine that allows the zinco to enter the cell membrane and shut down the replcase protein that is replicating the virus in your cells. 

well if this guy is correct.  I don't know shit

This is fascinating, I watched every minute. Actually understood, that Biology degree from UT pays off.

On the evening of Friday Feb 28th, I took my 6 year old to Texas Children’s Urgent Care on Memorial at the Beltway after he had a fever and a nasty cough for 3-4 days that wasn’t getting any better. I go in and the place is full of kids with the same shit. Doctor says there is some nasty non-flu virus going around and that it would probably last another 4-5 days. Didn’t think much of it at the time.

I took my six year old there once to get a pencil eraser removed from his nose. They couldn’t do it. Had to go to an ENT.

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Lol holy shit, just found out my 60+ year old parents, including a dad who smokes, are still planning to go to Vegas on Sunday.
Any tips on what it’s like to be an orphan?

Make sure they get those wills updated and a new Power of Attorney. 

35 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Sounds awful saying 1 million will die. That’s a .006 death rate

We still need to be shutting down almost everything for a month

So they die 2 months later?

One month will only delay things one month plus the time it takes the illness to work. Waiting it out means waiting for a vaccine which could take a year. We cannot all go into quarantine for a year as more people would die of starvation. 

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

All the canned beans were gone at my local Kroger around 11am this morning.

Just to HEB on i10 & wurz....and the shelves were full of canned goods and dry foods. Everyone is still buying TP, scratch-offs, water and pop tarts.

3 hours ago, Somnio said:

1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, 32,768, 65536, 131072, 262144, 524288, 1048576, 2097152, 4194304, 8388608, 16777216, 33554432, 67108864, 134217728

It takes 28 doubling cycles to reach 134,217,728.

It's wild how slow it seemingly starts out before exploding.  I mean half way through you're still only at 8,192.

It's almost like it's growing exponentially!

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

supposedly this is a video from an area of Thailand were the local monkey gangs have been fed by tourists for years. no tourists....monkeys hungry. I imagine this will be what HEBs look like in a few weeks. 

Gonna be a lot of strange consequences as patterns of life are altered drastically everywhere. I imagine rats accustomed to restaurant trash will start to branch out as well in the big cities. 

This is ten times scarier than Coronavirus 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Pretty sure this stuff has been circulating since January.  I think I had it 3 weeks ago.  Deej, didn't you have a nasty lung abusing ailment recently?

Yes, I did. Like nothing I'd experienced before. Dry rattle in my chest. Got better for a few days, then my lungs hurt for a few more, then slept 11 hours a day for three days, when I usually sleep 5. Better now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RayDog said:

So they die 2 months later?

One month will only delay things one month plus the time it takes the illness to work. Waiting it out means waiting for a vaccine which could take a year. We cannot all go into quarantine for a year as more people would die of starvation. 

If you are able to stop transmission for a month, theoretically not only are you "flattening" the curve so that the healthcare system can better deal with cases, but (given the life cycle of the virus) you may in fact starve the virus out and eliminate it in many communities. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Sounds awful saying 1 million will die. That’s a .006 death rate

We still need to be shutting down almost everything for a month

Well, it's a .006 death rate if 150 million Americans are infected.  It's also about 20X what we lose to the flu each year.  And of course, it doesn't include the hospitalization rate, which is its own problem.

SIAP. pretty difficult read

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/?fbclid=IwAR1dVxLhjZ1HXVsL7j6eAOmOPHE48oXg1KI_1Rvw8_4e1--gALfHdCXehpk

on the front lines in Italy. the nurse and doctors are now effectively in a war zone in certain places and have to figure out who lives and who dies. 

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

supposedly this is a video from an area of Thailand were the local monkey gangs have been fed by tourists for years. no tourists....monkeys hungry. I imagine this will be what HEBs look like in a few weeks. 

Gonna be a lot of strange consequences as patterns of life are altered drastically everywhere. I imagine rats accustomed to restaurant trash will start to branch out as well in the big cities. 

Better eat those monkeys now while they're fat.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

If you are able to stop transmission for a month, theoretically not only are you "flattening" the curve so that the healthcare system can better deal with cases, but (given the life cycle of the virus) you may in fact starve the virus out and eliminate it in many communities. 

Bullshit. This is a pandemic.  There is no eliminating it from a particular community unless it can be completely isolated until a vaccine is available. 

Also flattening the curve for one month does not buy us anything.  It will take 3 to 6 months.

Edited by RayDog
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Dude.

You're safe. I've been constantly spraying Lysol on my phone.

I'm blaming the idiots in our office who went to China for six weeks over the holidays.

Edited by Deej

Thinking back on it now I traveled to Australia in November. Upon returning home I came down with high fever, body aches, dry cough, and fatigue. Second night the fever broke and it was like I wet the bed. Cough stayed around for a week but it didn’t seem that abnormal. 

I don’t think this thing started spreading in Wuhan until December but it makes me wonder. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away