Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

It's at least a start.  "Guidelines" for school closings and the financial piece for sb and payroll loans are critical.   

Nevermind that payroll taxes is really the last source of funding for social security, and if you pull that the health outcomes for elderly folks at large looks significantly worse. 

The issue is that he didn't announce anything pertinent to individuals. Yes, the employers will be fine and they'll have extra liquidity on hand to provide benefits... But you and I both know businesses generally don't care about their workers if they're paying them near minimum wage. 

This doesn't help people specifically. He claimed our response is superior to Europe without ANY data to support his claim. We are flying blind but he's giving tax cuts for viral infectious care. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I got the exact opposite. I have seen worse bit that was a shit response to a real issue. Couple that speech with the shit at the Senate committee earlier today and I have less optimism. We are going to lose a large amount of our olds. I hope not and I wish we were more aggressive in this deal. 

Look I'm not a fan of the man by any stretch.  And this should have happened 2 weeks ago.   But for the first time the POTUS actually made this seem like a big deal IMO.   If nursing homes cut off visitors tomorrow that's a big win.  If local officials are more likely to start cancelling events that's a win.  We can debate benefit of cutting travel to europe and not other countries but it's pretty big symbolically that we're taking this seriously.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

I feel like shit just got turned up to 11 today. It was inevitable but wild to be here. Next week is going to be rough...we're still reacting way to slow. We're going to be Italy in a week.

Yep.  Per the map below, if you could do time lapse over the next 10 days, you're going to see the US get dark in places like Italy is today.  In fact, you could probably look back 10-14 days what the number of cases in Italy was and derive a comparable per capita incidence and match it to a color in the US today.  That's where chunks of our country will be in that same short amount of time.

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

Yep.  Per the map below, if you could do time lapse over the next 10 days, you're going to see the US get dark in places like Italy is today.  In fact, you could probably look back 10-14 days what the number of cases in Italy was and derive a comparable per capita incidence and match it to a color in the US today.  That's where chunks of our country will be in that same short amount of time.

What the hell did Alberta do to deserve this?

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Look I'm not a fan of the man by any stretch.  And this should have happened 2 weeks ago.   But for the first time the POTUS actually made this seem like a big deal IMO.   If nursing homes cut off visitors tomorrow that's a big win.  If local officials are more likely to start cancelling events that's a win.  We can debate benefit of cutting travel to europe and not other countries but it's pretty big symbolically that we're taking this seriously.

It's more that last week he said that you could go to work if you're sick, and now he's treating it with seeming gravitas. Idk about you, but that doesn't inspire confidence, especially since he gave no details on federal response for helping manage this on the ground in our towns and cities. 

Closing borders is great and all, but the horse has already left the barn so to speak. We have community spread here in the US. I heard nothing about what will actually help a sick individual. Waiving insurance fees and costs for CV19 is nice and all, but we still don't have testing capacity to even know who actually has it so we can handle them appropriately. 

Which again, is especially galling when we have no data to claim we're any better off than our allies in Europe. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Why are people buying water? Coronavirus going to come through the taps?

Same reason they are stocking up on toilet paper. 

My first google search was "does coronavirus give you the shits" I shit you not. 

so if i'm in europe and want to get here, i fly to south america, japan or south korea, and then to the US.  how is this policy going to stop anything?

i wonder what the brits are going to say in the morning since OM just made them the gravity well for everyone in europe who needs to get here.

nikkei -2.39%

dow futures -600pts

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If there is a flight there, you can still travel to Europe. Just might not be able to come back.

Just make sure you connect through London....   that seems like a huge loophole...  because the virus will never make if further than the nazis 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Well my wife is stuck visiting her family in Europe.  For at least another 30 days it seems.  I guess I'm gonna die of a fucking virus too.  God damn it. 

Starts Friday at Midnight...  anyone wanting back to states probably won't have trouble finding a seat.  I bet there are going to be lots of mostly empty plans repositioning 

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

so if i'm in europe and want to get here, i fly to south america, japan or south korea, and then to the US.  how is this policy going to stop anything?

i wonder what the brits are going to say in the morning since OM just made them the gravity well for everyone in europe who needs to get here.

nikkei -2.39%

dow futures -600pts

Where do you see the dow futures at? Can you give me a link? Thanks.

10 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

What was the German epidemiologist's comment from earlier today that today's number are a snapshot of 9 days ago?

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

It's more that last week he said that you could go to work if you're sick, and now he's treating it with seeming gravitas. Idk about you, but that doesn't inspire confidence, especially since he gave no details on federal response for helping manage this on the ground in our towns and cities. 

Closing borders is great and all, but the horse has already left the barn so to speak. We have community spread here in the US. I heard nothing about what will actually help a sick individual. Waiving insurance fees and costs for CV19 is nice and all, but we still don't have testing capacity to even know who actually has it so we can handle them appropriately. 

Which again, is especially galling when we have no data to claim we're any better off than our allies in Europe. 

Last week is last week.  I bitched profusely in this thread during the 3/1 press conference.  I thought he should have said a lot of this then.  But would you have rather he doubled down on the bullshit he's been peddling for 2 weeks or start taking it seriously?  We're in a massively critical time for the country to flatten the curve out.   I was 50/50 this speech would be more peddling "it's just the flu" nonsense in a feeble attempt to calm the markets.  An oval office speech isn't the time to give a detailed federal "on the ground response".   Honestly the details weren't that important period. I think it's important that his tone changed so maybe 50% of the morons on this country start taking it a little more seriously.  

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away