Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

Doc what do you think about that graph several posts up?  The US trajectory does not look good. 

We have several thousand cases on the ground right now.  When we start testing it will be more.  We aren't all gonna die but it will definitely suck. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Great non-answer.

I’m not snarking or trolling or cracking wise.

Again, are there any CV deaths in the US by a previously healthy individual?

There's not data for that. 

You'll need to wait and see...

20 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Great non-answer.

I’m not snarking or trolling or cracking wise.

Again, are there any CV deaths in the US by a previously healthy individual?

Reports coming out of Italy that young people are also capable of getting very very sick.  Also noted some speculation that while 70+ influences the time to death to be about 2 weeks, younger folks may fight it longer before succumbing, so the data may be skewed at this early stage.  Lots of reports of people barely being affected. Reports also of abrupt respiratory arrest and death within a few hours of onset of symptoms.  wide range.

I’ve been thinking this was just another flu until last couple of weeks. I asked a couple of Dr friends if I should be worried, and both surprised me with emphatic yes. 

Somewhat interesting article on flattening the curve and it’s affects, and why it’s so important to slow the spread. 

https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/wellness-prevention/flattening-curve-for-covid-19-what-does-it-mean-and-how-can-you-help

I was also surprised to hear from A number of peeps in last 24 hrs who believe it to be man-made Weapon from China, intentionally or unintentionally released. I came to Surly to find the answers...did China make this bug to kill off olds?  Not very natural for a bug to only kill old people, and like zero kids.  I’m sure there are some interesting theories here. 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Honestly a pretty solid speech.   I didn't think he had it in him.   Completely different tone.

Agreed insofar as the President is no longer trying to tell us it’s just the fucking flu only not as bad.

• Like 1

I'm wondering why Congress hasn't implemented their protocol for meeting remotely in an emergency.  There's continuity of govt. provisions for all kinds of disasters and war scenarios, I don't see a good reason for them to continue to work in the same room.  Reportedly 2/3rds of the Senate fall into the extra vulnerable category for CV.  Time to videoconference and vote remotely.

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Wait, is drinking alcohol bad for this?

I've been drinking the last 4 nights because we're on spring break and I highly doubt we are going back to work anytime soon. I'm fine, but I also take vitamins, supplements, and have been nyquil-ing it every night since saturday

So no?

giphy.gif

Edited by Pancho
I meant no, but typed yes, so maybe yes?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Perfect storm tonight: NBA cancelling, NCAA non-crowds, Tom Hanks Aids. I literally live a block from a grocery store and went quickly to get some last min essentials. I was getting the fuck out asap with  no worries. I literally missed an onslaught of people crashing the market as I drove off.  I knew this would blow up eventually, I feel tonight it detonated. Not to Cloak it up, but I support Trump. After his speech tonight, I wasn't impressed and was left with a feeling of uncertainty. 

Edited by hundredTT
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Well my wife is stuck visiting her family in Europe.  For at least another 30 days it seems.  I guess I'm gonna die of a fucking virus too.  God damn it. 

There is still time to put me in your will, dad.

• Like 1

i saw my doc (damn good dude, btw) about a month back with a kickass and incessant cough, low grade fever, joint pain, etc. strep and flu were negative, but it persisted for a good 2+ weeks and was pretty much nonstop...it was bad, like maybe grab 2-3 hrs of sleep per night because the coughing fits kept me up bad.

given that i meet with a metric shit ton of soldiers from Ft Hood and the wife works at Baylor in career services where she sees kids from all corners of the world (and she ended up with the same shit about 10 days after my first onset), i can’t help but wonder...

I had a similar cold late last year - regular cold, but super lingering cough for 5 weeks. A colleague had it as well, her cough lasted for 6 weeks. Too long ago to be COVID-19.

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The creators of this simulation have really stepped up their game. Hopefully this isn't the conclusion. 

i think we're in alpha version.  early adopters.

Edited by Hmmm

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I had a similar cold late last year - regular cold, but super lingering cough for 5 weeks. A colleague had it as well, her cough lasted for 6 weeks. Too long ago to be COVID-19.

I had that bullshit last year too.  I was getting so tired from the waking up several times during the night.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ve pretty much had it since Xmas.  Now I’m sorta glad I’ve kinda felt sorta crappy for that long.

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If we all survive, we'll have a legendary surly party at some point.  Hopefully in a month or two and not years after the ash settles. 

Yeah, seriously, don’t die.  You’re one of the good ones we’ll need to help reseed the earth with humanity.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Red Five said:

This is probably the wrong site to be asking this question but is anyone still going to the gym? I went for the last time a few days ago I think. It was pretty empty.

Wow. Some shit went down in the last 10 hours. The thought of going to the gym now is unfathomable. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away