Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yeah, a pandemic is different from other kinds of apocalypse scenarios. People want to stay away from each other. Should be less looting & break ins. 

man, I am going to go with your advice. Big red X on the door. Guess that is how we will know who is really a surly SOB. 

Bloomberg: Coronavirus Surge Sends Iran to IMF for First Time in 60 Years

Abdolnaser Hemmati, the head of the Central Bank of Iran, said in an Instagram post that he requested approximately $5 billion from the body’s Rapid Financing Instrument. The fund has said it would make $50 billion available to help member countries deal with the epidemic.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif called on the Washington-based body to allow the Islamic Republic to access the facility “immediately” and “stand on the right side of history & act responsibly,” according to a tweet.

Asked how Iran would receive any IMF funds given the sanctions, Hemmati replied in response to written questions that the country has “non-sanctioned financial and banking channels in Europe and elsewhere which we can coordinate with the IMF, as soon as it is ready and approves.”

Full Text:

Spoiler

Iran is seeking financial aid from the International Monetary Fund for the first time since the 1960s as it tries to fight a major outbreak of the coronavirus.

Abdolnaser Hemmati, the head of the Central Bank of Iran, said in an Instagram post that he requested approximately $5 billion from the body’s Rapid Financing Instrument. The fund has said it would make $50 billion available to help member countries deal with the epidemic.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif called on the Washington-based body to allow the Islamic Republic to access the facility “immediately” and “stand on the right side of history & act responsibly,” according to a tweet. Iran is the third-worst hit country after China and Italy, with 429 people dead.

IMF's @KGeorgieva has stated that countries affected by #COVID19 will be supported via Rapid Financial Instrument. Our Central Bank requested access to this facility immediately.

IMF/IMF Board should adhere to Fund's mandate, stand on right side of history & act responsibly.

Iran is grappling with coronavirus at a time when its economy is the target of renewed U.S. sanctions that have devastated oil exports and isolated it from global banking channels. Its ability to import medicines and food has been severely curtailed as a result of its exclusion from the financial system.

Asked how Iran would receive any IMF funds given the sanctions, Hemmati replied in response to written questions that the country has “non-sanctioned financial and banking channels in Europe and elsewhere which we can coordinate with the IMF, as soon as it is ready and approves.”

The central bank has already said it would help small businesses parry the disease’s impact by providing tax breaks and allowing defaults on bank loans for several months.

It’s the first time the sanctions-battered Islamic Republic, which came to power in 1979, has sought financial help from the IMF, according to Hemmati. Iran’s last financial arrangement with the fund was a two-year plan approved in October 1960 when it faced a balance of payments crisis under its last shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, according to data on the fund’s website and its 1962 annual report.

Repayment of such loans are usually made within three to five years, Hemmati said. The country has virtually no arrears pending to the IMF.

10 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

This has been me. I felt like Lisa Simpson trying to warn the morons of Springfield about some coming cataclysm.  A few people got it, but damned if most weren’t too blinded by the normalcy bias.  

Yep, felt like me in late January and February.   I started posting in here January 22.  I think many of us posting in January felt like Charlie.

spacer.png

Edited by atomheartbevo

I talked to my 83 year old dad last night. Diabetic, heart problems, recovering from a badly broken arm back in January. Lots of underlying health issues. He says is is doing fine. He lives in Snyder, which isn't a tiny town but it's small and more isolated than lots of places.

I told him to stay there and don't leave town for at least three months. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

They don't help if they have citric acid, and you need at least 80-90 mg of zinc for it to be effective.

But it also needs to be a lozenge?  I can’t find any 50+ mg that isn’t a tab or pill.   And all the lozenge have critic acid.  

9 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Something something about zinc acetate vs other forms of zinc too. 

So we want zinc acetate? 

Did a mini-doomsday prep today. 
bottled water, TP, soups, medicine and big thing of vitamin C. 

on one hand feel dumb doing it on other an ounce of prevention....

I am seeing meetings/demos/client dinners get canceled all over. Everything is moving to virtual. I think company I am with is getting ready to move to WFH which will be absolute clusterfuck. 

Just now, Xian said:

What the flying fuck. we should pull a North Korea on that fucker 

Yeah, this kind of bullshit is why its spreading. Reckless disregard for other people. 

Hell, it wasn't just that he was sick, it was that he was sick - they got a phone call with the positive test report while waiting to take off - and he stayed on the fucking plane. 

Just bullshit. 

Over the last few days I’ve read hundreds of posters on the internet indicate that the small number of fatalities is acceptable over shutting down SXSW. An absolute ton of people simply don’t care about anyone but themselves. I can understand non symptomatic carriers unknowingly going about their day without knowing shit. But there are a ton people out there with the “Fuck it! I’m already sick and not feeling too bad. I’m gonna go see a movie” attitude.

I have come down with something in the last three days and won’t be going anywhere for awhile. Haven’t had a single bite to eat in well over 48 hours. Whatever it is, it’s definitely something I’m not familiar with. Fucking fever at 102.8 and a throat as dry as the Sahara desert. Drinking water is no cakewalk either, but I’m trying.

19 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Can't think of a better time to book a Mexico vacation. Round trip airfare to Cancun 6,600 points on SW, and Riu Palace in Playa 7 nights $2,200. That's for April so hopefully this shit settles down some by then. 

Riu hotels pfffff. Are you some fucking kind of poor or what. haha

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

We just need to get hospitals everything they need for this as fast as possible.  But other than asking China for their leftovers (like Italy did), I don’t know where we can procure any of that stuff, and it takes a long time to make it. I read an article that said it will take several weeks (and China coming back online) to get significant numbers of more masks. 

If only there were a World Health Organization who developed and shipped tests to nearly 60 countries weeks ago.

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nope.  People want to avoid each other in a pandemic and not kill gramaw.

Plus, we have YouTube, Netflix, Disney, etc., not to mention Facebook, a Amazon, etc.    Netflix will see streaming shoot through the roof.   

Not to mention a decent chunk of the country has went through rough patches that were more life-threatening (hurricanes, blizzards) and saw things like electricity interrupted for extended periods.   

The concern to me is the folks who are poor, and maybe put in a life-crushing situation as a result.  

What do you think is going to change for poor people? I’ve been poor and you don’t feel shit when the stock market is good or in the gutter. Unless you think shitty jobs are going away en masse, I don’t see it. They have new bills they won’t or can’t pay? Oh noes! As usual, the crushing blows will be dealt to the middle class, up and down it. 

8 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Also, you can always get IVs with zinc that go straight into your blood system. There are IV companies in every big market now. If you have the money and the fear, it’s there for the taking. 

28 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Instacart woman in front of me yesterday at HEB was checking out yesterday with forty CASES of LeCroix and 24 cans of beans.  Nothing else in her carts.  

The cashier asked if it was for an office or church and she responded by saying it was being delivered to a residence.   

I hit my HEB yesterday evening at 5:40. I was expecting pandemonium, but it was pretty low key. It's worse on College Football Saturdays. Store seemed pretty well stocked, other than soap/hand sanitizer/Clorox wipes. Dry goods like beans and rice were low, but available. TP aisle was low, but available. Saw one "Karen" with wild eyes and two carts full of supplies arguing with a lady over the last of something she had twenty of in her cart. I'm sure the manager was called.  

• Like 1

Family member just called me.  Went to Costco this morning hoping to buy some things.  Went early to be there when they open (at 10am).  There at 9:30am and there is a Black Friday style line waiting for open wrapping halfway around the building.  Crazy.

1 minute ago, bernorange said:

Family member just called me.  Went to Costco this morning hoping to buy some things.  Went early to be there when they open (at 10am).  There at 9:30am and there is a Black Friday style line waiting for open wrapping halfway around the building.  Crazy.

Be honest. You grifted this take off of ZeroHedge, didn’t you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Loco said:

Put it up on the big board!

how the hell did that happen?? i assume there aren't more than a few hundred people on that continent at any given time, and it's so remote...how did it even get there??

ETA: nm read too fast. .. thought this was the ANTarctic 

Edited by mchookem
  • Haha 1

Just now, mchookem said:

how the hell did that happen?? i assume there aren't more than a few hundred people on that continent at any given time, and it's so remote...how did it even get there??

The Arctic isn't a continent.  It's an ocean.

To answer your question.

The infected individual had been at a workshop in Bremerhaven on 5 March with other aircraft members; the first round of testing was done as part of this meeting.

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Just stick a battery up your ass. 

I bought a few pounds of galvanized nails. After meals I toss a handful in my mouth and suck the coating off of them. So far no Corona - I think it's doing the trick.

• Like 6

Why are people stocking up on water bottles?  Is it just habit from other emergency prep (like a blizzard or hurricane prep)?  This virus doesn't attach utilities.  The risk of a disruption at electric or water has got to be minimal with this thing.  Even if there were a disruption, restoring those would obviously be a priority, and there'd by no logical reason why they wouldn't be restored in short order (no flooding, no downed trees blocking roads, etc.).  I was trying to find a couple gallons of distilled water to use for my wife's CPAP and there was literally nothing left in the water aisle.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Containment within the US appears to be the responsibility of local officials and private business. I do wish we would get federal direction on school closings or personnel decisions but I assume it’s felt that would lead to even more panic.

A quick look at FoxNews.com showed a bunch of the evening hosts  bitching that Trump went to far, and he’s messing with the Constitution, etc. (although ironically Tucker Carlson has apparently been on the “it’s really bad” bandwagon).

So I doubt we will see much beyond what was said last night as far as federal direction.  It’s pretty surprising how much the federal government seems to be pushing this back down to the locals.  

2 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Why are people stocking up on water bottles?  

I think, really, the main reason, is probably, because people are very very stupid.

Even toilet paper makes somewhat more sense than water.  If you want to avoid interacting with other humans completely, then toilet paper, and food, and many other essentials, would be things you'd want to stock up on.  Not, like, 10 pallets of toilet paper, but a month's supply?  Sure, I can see it.

Water though, just stupid people doing stupid things.  Business as usual in our world today.

2 hours ago, NateHitch said:

chloroquine diphosphate salt

is commercially available in multiple forms

and if i read the diagram correctly, can be compounded by any university lab en masse

paging raydog or other chemists

N4-(7-Chloro-4-quinolinyl)-N1,N1-dimethyl-1,4-pentanediamine diphosphate salt, N4-(7-chloroquinolin-4-yl)-N1,N1-diethylpentane-1,4-diamine diphosphate

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/substance/chloroquinediphosphatesalt515865063511?lang=en&region=US

mfcd00069852-large.png

Edited by Hagbard Celine

If half my tenants stopped paying suddenly I’d lose my homes in about 2-3 months to foreclosure. But it will be those greedy, not wonderful landlords faults when they have to evict people so they don’t lose the homes/buildings that supply them with the money they need to buy food and pay their own mortgage? 

There’s no good answer here. If they can’t pay rent, you both lose. Do you think you’ll find a new tenant right away? Of course not. That’s the problem here - there’s no good path.

The smart thing would be for lenders to allow for loan payment deferrals of 1-3 months to allow for pandemic interruptions in cash flow. Just extend your mortgage by 3 months.

We’ll see if lenders take that action. I think it’s better than foreclosure.
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Why are people stocking up on water bottles?  Is it just habit from other emergency prep (like a blizzard or hurricane prep)?  This virus doesn't attach utilities.  The risk of a disruption at electric or water has got to be minimal with this thing.  Even if there were a disruption, restoring those would obviously be a priority, and there'd by no logical reason why they wouldn't be restored in short order (no flooding, no downed trees blocking roads, etc.).  I was trying to find a couple gallons of distilled water to use for my wife's CPAP and there was literally nothing left in the water aisle.

Agreed on the utilities. If power and water and gas go down, it's because there are no well workers to keep them turned on and civilization is collapsing. If that's the case, we are right fucked Cormac McCarthy style. 

EDIT: I guess there would be issues like coal deliveries via train, etc etc, but the point is still valid. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

A quick look at FoxNews.com showed a bunch of the evening hosts  bitching that Trump went to far, and he’s messing with the Constitution, etc. (although ironically Tucker Carlson has apparently been on the “it’s really bad” bandwagon).

So I doubt we will see much beyond what was said last night as far as federal direction.  It’s pretty surprising how much the federal government seems to be pushing this back down to the locals.  

Locals & states are supposed to be the first responders, the feds just come along afterwards to fuck everything up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heso said:

We haven’t pulled our 3 year old out of daycare yet, but I’m trying to convince the wife that we need to make that call sooner rather than later so her mother can watch the kid. I don’t know what we’d do if we got the notice that the daycare is closing temporarily because someone tested positive. Probably try to self-quarantine for two weeks somehow and then have my MIL step in after that. 

Our kids do a daycare 2x a week.  They're not going back anytime soon.

My wife works at Mclennan Community College and they are on break now and start back Monday.  I hope MCC extends their break for another week at least.  I'm going to tell her not to go in on Monday if they don't.

I don't understand people taking unnecessary risks.  Control the things you can control like social distancing.  Be smart and we just might get out of this alive.

Don't wait. If you feel strongly make the call.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Agreed on the utilities. If power and water and gas go down, it's because there are no well workers to keep them turned on and civilization is collapsing. That's the case, we are right fucked Cormac McCarthy style

While a few water bottles won’t do anything, you have to keep in mind that in today’s  just in time business society no one stocks anything.  If equipment starts to go down at the water plant they might have issues finding replacement parts. 

Edited by Xian
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Agreed on the utilities. If power and water and gas go down, it's because there are no well workers to keep them turned on and civilization is collapsing. That's the case, we are right fucked Cormac McCarthy style. 

Not everybody is going to get sick all at once. Skeleton crews can keep the basics going.

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away