Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Hey guys, do y'all remember that illness that had a 0.02% mortality rate that one time? I sure don't.

Never mind that this current pandemic that currently has a mortality rate 200x higher than 0.02% in areas that were late to react to the situation. I mean if you think about it, what if the optimistic estimates of a lower actual mortality rate of 1% come true? Then it's only 50x more deadly than swine flu. Approximately 60 million Americans got H1N1 and only 12,500 died from it. If 60 million Americans get COVID-19 then somewhere between 600,000 and 2.4 million will die from it.

Same same.

This Guy: Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

Said conservatively, in the US.  48 million hospital patients, 96 million cases, 480,000 deaths. 10-15 X worse than worst flu outbreaks.

• Like 1

I believe the outcry about testing has to do with the early on containment. Stories about people needing testing and either being denied testing because there were no tests or the CDC rejecting to test the person and then the person goes out and spreads it to hundreds of other at no fault of their own. They were told it’s probably nothing. 

If at this point we are conceding it’s everywhere, then maybe we should focus on triage and not testing but the original outcry for no texting was legitimate 

That’s where I’m at. Testing is pointless to me now, need some mobile triage centers in community centers and gyms that only COVID infected enter if they have severe symptoms.

Those of us who suspect we have it (fever/cough) but can battle it at home, stay the fuck home until you’re better.. and then home another 72 hours after that

7 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

At Costco in oak hill for medicine for my dog and it looks like end of days here. Absolutely nuts. 

That's what my family member was reporting to me about our local Costco (near BayBrook Mall - Houston/Clear Lake).  They were rationing paper products two packages per customer.  Had store security inside managing lines inside the store.  Don't shoot the messenger CTJ.

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

As for a quick real-world look at the economic effects, we work with a family with a single income -- she's a hotel housekeeper.

As bookings have cancelled/declined, she's not getting scheduled for shifts.  Her family has enough money in the bank to pay an extra month's rent....that's it.  That's their cushion.  When that runs out, what then?  And at the apartment complex they live in, I bet that 50% of those families are in similar shape -- after a few weeks of little to no work, they won't be able to make the rent.

Is the complex going to evict 50% of their tenants?  And even if they don't, how are they going to get and pay for food?

There are literally millions of families living on the margin like this.  THAT'S what we need to be taking action on.....and we won't.  The cascade effects from the harm to those families alone is going to be catastrophic.

The powers that be say, "Let them eat cake."

25 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I just received word from my second largest client that they are considering shutting down all projects nationwide for the time being.  Anyone that doesn't think this will have a huge impact on a business sector has blinders on.

The economic loss will be much worse than the actual virus itself. 

• Like 1

Just ran out at lunch to top off some stuff...  Ho Lee Sheet...  people are engaged now.  No panic just a noticeable edge, I make an effort to be friendly to offset my natural assholishness...  usually people react positively and that's nice.   Not so much today.   As I sat in line with tons of olds (most wearing masks) I was thinking about the older lady cashier and the even older lady bagging groceries.  They are staring this thing right down the barrel and handling stuff EVERYONE else with a mask is handling.  I really feel for them.

The little old whitehair bagging lady was the only person to really engage with me and we got to talking about Spring Breakers (they are still here in droves) and other trival shit.  She seemed really sweet and funny.   I hope she's there in a few months.  I'm going to be looking for her. 

This shit sucks.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ve been flipping between CNN and Fox News. No CR. Fox has been talking all morning about the democratic races. Just laser focused on it. Very little about the markets and almost nothing about the virus except how the dem candidates are handling rallies and their advanced ages. 

I bring it up because it is important to understand that half the country that gets their news from this outlet absolutely do not have any sense or urgency or belief this is a big deal. This matters in regards to social distancing for everyone. 

And their ignorance is really shown in their stances on social media posts.  Fox News will be responsible for the unnecessary deaths of many, many people by propagating their ignorance and diminishing the dire nature of our situation.

• Fuck You 2

Stanford hospital board internal message:

The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection.

In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous.

Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold

2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.

10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS 

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 

2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further. 

3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing. 

4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention

Got this email forward to me today

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

15 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Just got back from HEB.  Fucking hell.  Glad I buy stuff regularly.  No TP, paper towels, rice, pasta was low and anything with a shelf life was really slim pickings.  This is insane.  I just counted how many rolls of TP I have in the house.  We are all safe.

Fast Food here I Come. 

3 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

The economic loss will be much worse than the actual virus itself. 

It's a three way Mexican stand-off/balancing act.  We have to slow/stop the spread of the pandemic, ensure our health services are not pushed beyond the breaking point, and not kill the economy.  The first two are related, but unfortunately almost all of the steps necessary to address them have a negative economic impact.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

This. And we rely way too much on China for things like antibiotics. It's asinine. 

I wasn't aware just how many drugs we relied on China to produce. Makes me wonder why China didn't just start cutting supply or raising the prices to crazy amounts once the president started the trade war with them. Seems that would have been a pretty good way to bring this country to it's knees. 

• Like 1

Anybody looking for numbers, this site seems to be running slightly ahead of others (it is sourced - scroll down and it links to official state websites)

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com

And this site has been making their data more accessible

https://ncov2019.live

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

From the hearings this morning:

”Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said the cost of testing and treatment will be covered.

During Thursday’s House Oversight committee hearing on novel coronavirus, Rep. Ayanna Pressley asked Redfield, "will the cost of testing be covered,” Redfield responded, "the cost of testing will be covered.”

Following up, Pressley asked, "and what about treatment?" Redfield said, "cost of treatment will be covered."

Redfield said the White House Coronavirus Task Force is working hard to make sure everyone is financially able to stay home if necessary during the coronavirus outbreak.  

He said the task force has "addressed this as a critical public health component,” adding the United States needs to ensure those under a 14-day quarantine “not have to sneak out for an hourly job so they have to pay for their cost of living."”

53 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I just received word from my second largest client that they are considering shutting down all projects nationwide for the time being.  Anyone that doesn't think this will have a huge impact on a business sector has blinders on.

Agreed.  I understand and agree that the health of our society and the slowing viruses is of great importance, but at what cost.  I'd like to see the actuarial science on it.  There will always be those that will not put a price on life.  It sucks, i get it.  That said I'm just not sold that shutting down and sending everyone home is the best solution. 

At my core it seems wrong and for the lack of a better phrase, imo, at least in this country it's unamerican.  I'm more a states rights, self accountability type of guy.  Again, i am not against instances where we consider the whole over the individual.  There is a time for it.  But how and when do we do that?

Maybe an approach that is more thoughtful where we protect the most vulnerable and the obvious, in this case the old, sick or ones who have someone sick in their home.  I also understand there will be dumbfucks who will be sick and harm others but with freedom comes the freedom to fuck and get fucked.  So suffer the consequences if you harm others.

If nothing else I hope this time around we get good data to learn how to do this better.  From the government, to the medical, to the schools, to the business community i do hope our ability to cope improves.   

Edited by RollLeft

As many may know, I am a Christian, but some of the things I hear on Christian radio from pastors and other self proclaimed holy men amaze me.

I didn't catch his name, but this pastor or whatever he was, was talking on the radio saying how he would never shut down his church or refuse to hold worship services because of the pandemic.  Being a Christian is hard enough without lunatics like this talking just to hear their head roar. He spoke of how Christians should have faith and know that everything is in God's hands.  

It is true God said to have faith, but I've yet to find it in the Bible where he told everyone to be stupid.

End rant

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Xian said:

While a few water bottles won’t do anything, you have to keep in mind that in today’s  just in time business society no one stocks anything.  If equipment starts to go down at the water plant they might have issues finding replacement parts. 

It's SOP for utilities to keep replacements of critical equipment and parts sitting in storage. Someone would need to blow shit up a couple of times for a serious problem to occur.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Not everybody is going to get sick all at once. Skeleton crews can keep the basics going.

This. In these situations its common for volunteer crews to lock themselves up for the duration of an emergency where they have living quarters, a kitchen and food supplies. I actually worked out of a newly built control room center for a couple of months that was used as a failover location. It felt like being in a very comfortable fallout shelter during the apocalypse.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I believe that was the point. What’s the bigger life change, the poor person with a difficult life that got quite a bit harder for a few months? Or the person with the pretty good life who now finds themselves impoverished, for real? That’s a hell of an emotional toll. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away