Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

41 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Thats what happens when u run out of hospital beds

Can we get the design plan for the impromptu hospitals that China built?  Seems like they had a pretty well thought out strategy for dealing at least part of the outcomes.

Just now, Izhmash said:

Can we get the design plan for the impromptu hospitals that China built?  Seems like they had a pretty well thought out strategy for dealing at least part of the outcomes.

Our regulations would never allow those plans to be enacted. Might as well start building tent cities for this. 

1 minute ago, Izhmash said:

Wonder if we can use all the closed dorms as temporary facilities.  However, the amount of herpes floating in the air of the average dorm may create an even bigger problem.

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

They don't help if they have citric acid, and you need at least 80-90 mg of zinc for it to be effective.

Try eating pennies.  Actually, just shove pennies up your ass -- the zinc will hit the bloodstream faster, and you'll have ass pennies.  Win-win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

I got it in Cabo. We were there for our 1 year wedding anniversary, April 26th 2009.

I didn't think that I was going to die but it was and still is the sickest that I've ever been in my adult life. Brutal.

Edit - I was a healthy 32 year old, non smoker and no pre-existing conditions.

My then 5 year old and I had it, too.  It was quite a bit more mild in our case from the description of your experience, but certainly no picnic.  Wish there was some contagion karma that would work in our respective favors at this point, but I know better than that.

9 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

Actual picture of additional hospital beds in China:

seinfeld.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Our regulations would never allow those plans to be enacted. Might as well start building tent cities for this. 

Yes we can.  It's actually not that hard at all.  It requires an Act of Congress akin to the War Powers Act.  Make it effective immediately, expiring in 30 days unless renewed (to keep it from being perpetual).  Allows the president to federalize the national guard.  In the extreme, even allow a partial Draft -- draft medical professionals etc. into a Federalized effort.  Allow the administration to build a team of the best in their fields -- people from the Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, etc.  Get them working on the necessaries: quick accurate tests, protocols for testing anyone who wants it, recommended protocols for the infected, vaccine development and testing (in cooperation with other nations).

This is a world war.  We turned Underwood typewriter factories into weapons plants in WWII.  We can build field hospitals and/or turn existing, empty facilities into overflow hospitals (guess what we have in Austin?  An old hospital that's been decommissioned.  The structure is there and can likely be partially activated in a matter of days).

Fucking solve problems.  That's what we can do.  We're just choosing not to.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Heard that schools will most likely go to a two week spring break which gives them a bit of time to get contingency plans in place.  

Can they go ahead and announce that?  We'll just stay in Hawaii an extra week, fuck it.

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

Doc on CNN just now said he had no idea why people were stocking up on toilet paper lol

If you really think you're going to get the shits badly enough to need all that toilet paper, there's no way you're going to use it all, because your asshole is going to be so raw and chapped that there's no way you're going to be able to touch it.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes we can.  It's actually not that hard at all.  It requires an Act of Congress akin to the War Powers Act.  Make it effective immediately, expiring in 30 days unless renewed (to keep it from being perpetual).  Allows the president to federalize the national guard.  In the extreme, even allow a partial Draft -- draft medical professionals etc. into a Federalized effort.  Allow the administration to build a team of the best in their fields -- people from the Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, etc.  Get them working on the necessaries: quick accurate tests, protocols for testing anyone who wants it, recommended protocols for the infected, vaccine development and testing (in cooperation with other nations).

This is a world war.  We turned Underwood typewriter factories into weapons plants in WWII.  We can build field hospitals and/or turn existing, empty facilities into overflow hospitals (guess what we have in Austin?  An old hospital that's been decommissioned.  The structure is there and can likely be partially activated in a matter of days).

I'm talking building a brick and morter hospital in 2 weeks. China can do that because their building codes are lax compared to the US. Could we clear that red tape to make it happen? I guess. Should we? Don't know. I'm definitely into repurposing existing structures to become field hospitals. That's the best path forward. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

What on earth is Johns Hopkins doing? Their model isn’t working and now needs a login

people really need to refresh their dashboard a few times before posing here. give it 3-5 min before posting in the thread (not directed at you HoustonFrog, just in general as this kind of thing has been posted a number of times in this thread)

as of right now, 141p central, it is working fine.

they are getting absolutely hammered visit wise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I'm talking building a brick and morter hospital in 2 weeks. China can do that because their building codes are lax compared to the US. Could we clear that red tape to make it happen? I guess. Should we? Don't know. I'm definitely into repurposing existing structures to become field hospitals. That's the best path forward. 

Vacant big box stores. 

Just now, SmokeyTheBear said:

They can do it because the people building it know they better get shit done or else.  (stick) and because the government embraced the WAR on the virus and were publicly lauding them for sacrificing (carrot)

In the US, everyone will be seeing dollar signs and trying to figure out how to extract the most cash...  Let me check the book here..says 6 weeks to pour the foundation....  soooo

I’m thinking get those impromptu gold dome bubbles and set up shop on a high school football field

9 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Houston has a solution to lack of hospital beds.....  The Astrodome.

look at these photos of the astrodome from 2016, it isn't ready or "clean" enough to be a hospital

https://www.houstonpress.com/slideshow/decaying-wonder-a-return-to-what-is-left-of-the-astrodome-6317852

other/older photos: 

https://www.houstonpress.com/slideshow/8th-wonder-a-tour-of-houstons-rotting-astrodome-6306425

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/digging-around-the-all-but-abandoned-astrodome-6729177

Edited by NoName

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

FEMA has a contract just for this type of event. And they are already looking for beds... 

RFI-Enhanced Disaster Support Cots (EDS) for Disaster Survivors - at Continental United States (CONUS) & Outside of Continental United States (OCONUS) Locations

https://beta.sam.gov/opp/0f6b88a2ffdc4fdb9637c02e68455d57/view?index=opp&page=1&organization_id=100011942

people really need to refresh their dashboard a few times before posing here. give it 3-5 min before posting in the thread (not directed at you HoustonFrog, just in general as this kind of thing has been posted a number of times in this thread)
as of right now, 141p central, it is working fine.
they are getting absolutely hammered visit wise. 

Number hasn’t changed in hours for me.... yesterday it updated like every 1-2 hours

Supposedly over 130,000 and they are still at 127k

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away