Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

21 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I hope we learn from our mistakes. It was fun (and profitable) playing with China for a while, but we need to stop now.

This whole pandemic is showing how interlinked the global economy really is. Even if we slow down work with China, if it transmits to the Middle East or Europe, we are going to eventually get it. 

Still, I do kind of agree, if China doesn’t actually shut down these wet markets that sell wild animals in the middle of major metropolitan areas, the world needs to re-evaluate where it’s factories really are.

35 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There’s no good answer here. If they can’t pay rent, you both lose. Do you think you’ll find a new tenant right away? Of course not. That’s the problem here - there’s no good path.

The smart thing would be for lenders to allow for loan payment deferrals of 1-3 months to allow for pandemic interruptions in cash flow. Just extend your mortgage by 3 months.

We’ll see if lenders take that action. I think it’s better than foreclosure.

I think we’d be able to get someone within a month, but that’s why you don’t wait until the last month 3 to start and eviction. 

My main gripe is the general attitude that landlords have it easy, are rolling in cash, and should just give away their hard earned stuff when other people are having problems. I agree that there isn’t an easy solution if SHTF, but just putting the burden on all the “rich” mom and pop businesses to pick up the slack for those without savings isn’t going to work. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I hope we learn from our mistakes. It was fun (and profitable) playing with China for a while, but we need to stop now.

I hope this is a wakeup call to us regarding our dealings with China.  We've spent too long trying to convince ourselves that they're harmless and that they're our friends all so we can get $198 flat screen TVs.  Both political parties have been complicit in this.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Invest in Netflix/video game companies. 

Not Nintendo.  Having production delays due to this.  I'm wondering if any games planned for release in late 2020 will be pushed back. 

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

What lesson will they learn if they're dead?

Also, ever think why treasury bonds are less than 1% yield? Definitely has nothing to do with propping up the market with huge stimulus through the tax cut which has left us with an empty tank when shit has actually hit the fan. 

But also, the fact that the feds can't get their messaging straight in a fucking prepared speech is concerning. The fact that on Monday, the president was saying "nothing will change" and then yesterday, the medical experts told us that our lives are going to be majorly disrupted is concerning. 

The feds can help coordinate national response and give some structure and consistency to how we deal with CV19. According to VP this morning they aren't even aggregating data nationally yet. 

How the fuck is that the case? This isn't new news. We're weeks behind the curve and I don't agree that the feds are doing everything they can. They haven't done shit to inform the public, they haven't led by example (constantly downplaying until yesterday, not cancelling large headcount events, etc), and they haven't even bothered to collect the data to begin to strategize how we most effectively use our limited resources. 

The tank is far from empty and the market is screaming for stimulus.  Print the money.  

1 hour ago, Texas_Rocks said:

I have come down with something in the last three days and won’t be going anywhere for awhile. Haven’t had a single bite to eat in well over 48 hours. Whatever it is, it’s definitely something I’m not familiar with. Fucking fever at 102.8 and a throat as dry as the Sahara desert. Drinking water is no cakewalk either, but I’m trying.

I hope you feel better man.  Give that snake virus hell.

00cc4875-0245-4cb8-9851-900cc15cda69_scr

Edited by RollLeft

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We’ve explained this to you multiple times.  South Korea got their shit together thanks to testing.  

it is all about trying to buy our healthcare system time to cope.  

It is more then just testing that got their shit together. Like China, SK actively screened for fever in population. If a person displayed a fever they were isolated and sent to a "fever clinic" where testing was done to rule out flu. CTs ordered after that to check the lungs. If pneumonia shows up they assumed it was Corona until test results were received. 

These folks were not allowed to go home and spread it to their family. They were isolated and kept with other presumptive cases. I do not see us doing that level of quarantine here.

8 minutes ago, Caver60 said:

I work at Natural Bridge Caverns. Spring Break is our biggest week of the year, typically. This year, the majority of Texas school districts are on break this week. The rest will be off next week. The split is pretty even, though, so there will be almost as many people on vacation next week as there are right now.

We are open, and there are plenty of people here. Not what it would be without the virus running amok, but we are still busy. We are running down 25% or so compared to what we were expecting before this thing got loose. For context, we usually see 2500-4000 people per day during Spring Break. For the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would think "Virus? Sure, I'd be happy to place me and my family in a group of 50 people in a warm wet environment". But they are. 

We are doing all sorts of planning, as most all of us are. Suspending spending on projects, planning for laying off hourly employees if we are forced to close. Our best advice will probably be for our hourly folks to take unemployment in the worst case scenario. We do offer health insurance, but no way are hourly hourly folks going to be able to afford COBRA if we let them go. I think that CTJ is right, the travel industry is going to get pounded by this thing, and it might take a couple of years for things to settle down.

At some point soon, tourist destinations will likely start closing for two weeks. As soon as that becomes "industry standard," we will too. I think most places are trying to get Spring Break $ in the bank before choosing to do that.

I can understand a beach vacation at this point. Stay in a condo, be on the beach away from others. I'd avoid theme parks like the plague, so to speak. And I wouldn't come here, either. I sort of have to, but you shouldn't.

I love the Natural Bridge Caverns!  I really want to do the adventure tour sometime, though the thought of descending by rope from the top of the cavern is more than a little unnerving.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

The "no fans" events are such a stupid half measure.  

Just cancel the fucking event.

Probably TV money they don’t want to give up.     I doubt they cancel these series unless the owners are on board, or they are seeing things the plebes don’t.

Take the NBA - my guess is the owners/commissioners have a good idea that plenty of NBA players may have it or were exposed.   The amount of skin-to-skin contact between basketball players, as well as fluids involved was going to lead to this.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

So if a poor person’s kids kids find themselves at home because school is canceled, putting that poor person in a bind, are you going to just say “well, we are talking about two different things, I was talking about poor people who don’t have kids.”

If you don’t see multiple ways that this little pandemic can fuck up the lives of poor people, then I doubt you were ever poor.  

Quick! Let's have a poor contest!

Look, I didn't say the pandemic won't fuck up poor peoples' lives. I said they were already fucked up in the first place. There is a pure analog to what happened in the Great Depression, if we have to fall back on history. Poor folks hardly noticed ... because they were already caught in a miserable situation. 

"Oh no, I don't have someone to watch my kids!" Right. That is a problem every fucking day. There's already also a support system in place for poor people on such matters. They tend to live in close proximity to family and friends who are also poor and have the ability and willingness to help. Now contrast that with people in the middle class, who don't often have that, and what happens with them when their day cares are closed too. Again, we're talking about two different things. Only one of us appears to understand that. I'm fine agreeing to disagree with you from here, because this feels like a religious argument and neither of us are going to be converted. 

• Like 1

Still a lot of bad information out there.  So..

....regardless of what some of you may think of the Joe Rogan podcast and the 20% crackpot rate he has, he had this guy on yesterday..

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

First 20 minutes is where most of the CV 19 stuff is, although the remainder is pretty enlightening in a frightening infectious diseases kind of way.

This should be required watching/reading.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I hope this is a wakeup call to us regarding our dealings with China.  We've spent too long trying to convince ourselves that they're harmless and that they're our friends all so we can get $198 flat screen TVs.  Both political parties have been complicit in this.  

The standard is living for many folks here in the US is partly due to being able to buy cheap shit from China, and I don’t see them or the retailers wanting to give that up.   

I do hope we think about our medical equipment suppliers though.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

It is more then just testing that got their shit together. Like China, SK actively screened for fever in population. If a person displayed a fever they were isolated and sent to a "fever clinic" where testing was done to rule out flu. CTs ordered after that to check the lungs. If pneumonia shows up they assumed it was Corona until test results were received. 

These folks were not allowed to go home and spread it to their family. They were isolated and kept with other presumptive cases. I do not see us doing that level of quarantine here.

Outta rep, but true, and it was made clear in last night’s speech that we won’t do anything that aggressive.    So at the least, we have to make tests widely available and just hope enough Americans self-isolate or quarantine to keep our medical system afloat.  

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Probably TV money they don’t want to give up.     I doubt they cancel these series unless the owners are on board, or they are seeing things the plebes done.  

Take the NBA - my guess is the owners/commissioners have a good idea that plenty of NBA players may have it or were exposed.   The amount of skin-to-skiing contact between basketball players, as well as fluids involved was going to lead to this.  

Ad sales for the NCAA tournament have increased signficantly this week. (Per Sports Business Journal, which is subscription only)

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So if a poor person’s kids kids find themselves at home because school is canceled, putting that poor person in a bind, are you going to just say “well, we are talking about two different things, I was talking about poor people who don’t have kids.”

If you don’t see multiple ways that this little pandemic can fuck up the lives of poor people, then I doubt you were ever poor.  

I believe the point is that poor people are used to being poor. They’re resourceful. They’ve been figuring out how to scrape by for their whole lives. This isn’t saying this is ok, it’s just reality. By that token, their lives might not change much. They don’t have a 401k or paper wealth to care about. Will there be hardships? Of course. It’s going to fuck with everyone’s lives. But the biggest chance for a complete disruption and lifestyle being turned completely on its head is the middle class. Who can lose homes, paper wealth, solid jobs, insurance etc. 

I believe that was the point. What’s the bigger life change, the poor person with a difficult life that got quite a bit harder for a few months? Or the person with the pretty good life who now finds themselves impoverished, for real? That’s a hell of an emotional toll. 

9 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

This. And we rely way too much on China for things like antibiotics. It's asinine. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Outta rep, but true, and it was made clear in last night’s speech that we won’t do anything that aggressive.    So at the least, we have to make tests widely available and just hope enough Americans self-isolate or quarantine to keep our medical system afloat.  

Agreed. Although people are beginning to self-quarantine right now anyway. That is helpful, testing would make it more helpful. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ad sales for the NCAA tournament have increased signficantly this week. (Per Sports Business Journal, which is subscription only)

They have....I hesitate to say the words “good timing”, but if they go through with it, and more people are home than normal, it’s a perfect storm for advertising.  

Wonder who else is going to take advantage.  There’s plenty of movies coming out soon that either should be delayed, or could go straight into streaming.   

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

So we can fire Shaka now?  

I"m afraid this is just the excuse they've wanted to keep him for another year.  Hell, we've won 83% of our (recent) games!!!!  Conference tourney +/- NCAA was just what we needed, a chance for Shaka to put up or shut up. 

5 minutes ago, Digdogger said:

I'm heading to the store to load up on the essentials.  Rice, bread, beans, etc.  Also gotta make sure the dog is covered so I'm loading up on kibble and peanutbutter

Good idea to keep the dog well-fed if things go south.  Meat on the table is always welcome.  

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So Sweden has stopped testing for the most part. I assume a healthy chunk of other countries opted for this route as well. I'm not trying to rain on the "what the fuck are we doing, why aren't we testing, the fucking feds are clowns!" parade for that part of the mob, but as many others have suggested on this thread for weeks (not me), large scale testing may not make a whole lot of sense if this shit is really widespread already. I don't know. I don't really understand that part of the outcry once it was established that we, and others, did very little in the beginning of the outbreak.

Link to the Swedish article that your browser should be able to translate: https://www.dn.se/sthlm/farre-kommer-att-provtas-for-coronaviruset-i-stockholm/

The countries that are showing progress are either:

1. Testing like crazy and otherwise taking a very analytical approach to understanding and tackling the problem in their locale

2.  Locking down society and suspending their economy for an extended period of time

I would prefer to see us take the first approach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Yeah, this kind of bullshit is why its spreading. Reckless disregard for other people. 

Hell, it wasn't just that he was sick, it was that he was sick - they got a phone call with the positive test report while waiting to take off - and he stayed on the fucking plane. 

Just bullshit. 

I assume he will get sued and lose bad.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I assume he will get sued and lose bad.

I heard that Italy will prosecute people who break quarantine while ill with murder charges.  Haven't researched it, but even if it's fake news, hopefully it deters some idiots from sneaking out for a bottle of chianti.

4 minutes ago, Goredho said:

The countries that are showing progress are either:

1. Testing like crazy and otherwise taking a very analytical approach to understanding and tackling the problem in their locale

2.  Locking down society and suspending their economy for an extended period of time

I would prefer to see us take the first approach.

First approach only works if you do it from the very beginning. We spit the bit on that a long time ago. 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away